The Western Bank of
Scotland was established in Kirkintilloch for many years under the late
Mr. Charles Stewart. At Mr. Stewart's death he was succeeded by the late
Mr. Thomas Whitelaw; and when the Western Bank collapsed in 1857 the
branch was taken up by the National Bank of Scotland—Mr. Whitelaw being
agent till his death, Mr. Thorburn succeeding him. Mr. James Russell,
now of Airdrie, was the next agent, from 1867 till 1872. When leaving
Mr. Russell was entertained to dinner by about 100 friends in
Kirkintilloch and from other towns. After opening the branches in
Coatbridge and Motherwell, Mr. Russell is now located in Airdrie, where
he is an honorary sheriff-substitute and J.P. for Lanarkshire. Mr.
Richard Reid succeeded Mr. Russell.
The City of Glasgow Bank
commenced under the agency of the late Mr. John Shearer, auctioneer; and
at his death it was continued by Mr. Robert Murdoch, now of Dundee. Mr.
Murdoch, being promoted, was succeeded by Mr. James Stables, till the
City Bank, in its turn, succumbed, when Mr. Stables was appointed
joint-agent of the National Bank along with Mr. Reid; and when the
latter went abroad Mr. Stables remained — then and since — sole agent.
The Commercial Bank of
Scotland was established 2nd April, 1877, under Mr. James Main. The bank
was commenced in the property belonging to Dr. Stewart, but on the
collapse of the City Bank the Commercial Bank bought the premises, and
removed their branch there, where it has since been carried on by Mr.
The Savings Bank has been
established for many years. James Dalrymple, Esq., of Woodhead, has been
chairman for forty years, and during that long period was present at
every annual meeting till the present year, when he was disabled by
illness, to the great regret of the whole community. Mr. James Stables
is the treasurer. The amount at credit of depositors is .£14,748 7s. 1d.