District No. 5.
This is the central district of Mabou. The
name was first given to a pretty hamlet, built upon a hill, three miles
Southeast of Mabou Village. When the County was incorporated in 1879, this
name was applied and extended to the whole of District No. 5, and the name
is quite appropriate. This is in sooth a land of hills. Not the bare and
barren variety, but luxurious heights and slopes, rich in soil, and rare
in symmetry. Go where you may in this district, these bounteous altitudes
are smiling down upon you from all directions, calling your soul to higher
things, like the silent heralds of destiny.
But there are more than hills in Hillsborough.
There are rivers and streams, and fine stretches of meadows and
marshlands. On one side, dividing this district from that of Glencoe, we
find the South East river rolling down the dales for miles until it loses
itself in Mabou Harbour. On the other side we see Black River and Hay
River both flowing into West Lake Ainslie. From the West the South West
River comes tumbling down until it empties itself, also, into Mabou
Harbour, where many brooks and streams of minor measurements achieve the
same end. It was this "noise of many waters" that moved the children of
the forest - the primitive Micmacs - to give unto this whole region the
purifying name of Mabou. It was the scenic inspiration, so strong in Mabou
and other parts of Cape Breton, that caused the local and loyal poet to
"With cliffs of
white and bowers of green;
"And ocean bending to caress it,
"With hills and studded streams between,
"Our Island home, God bless it!"
Nearly all the people here devote themselves
to farming pursuits exclusively. They do not divide their time and energy
between their chosen occupation and other industrial callings, such as
fishing and mining. For that reason, among others, the farmers here are
more comfortable and successful than many more of our Inverness husbandry.
Another reason for the advanced position of the farmers here is, that some
of these early settlers were trained in tilling the soil before they came
to America. They belonged it is said, to that historic band known early
annals as The United Empire Loyalists. They were men of force and
fortitude; they showed it everywhere. They were industrious men of
judgment and character; they proved it here. They take to the land as
ducks to the water. Our regret is that more of them did not come into the
fine county of Inverness. Further on we shall refer to them in detail.
Hillsborough is divided from Poplar Grove by
the main road leading from Mabou bridge to Glenville; and from Glencoe by
the Southeast River. These three communities, Hillsborough, Glencoe and
Poplar Grove, constituted the old original Mabou. At that time Mabou was a
powerful section of Inverness County.
We remember when the two great political
parties of the county were locally designated as "the Mabou party", on the
one hand, and "'the Port Hood Party" on the other. The late Samuel
Macdonnell (with whom were the late Hon. Peter Smyth, the late Hon. Dr.
Campbell, and the late Hon. John McKinnon) resided in the Shiretown, and
was the leader of the so-called "Port Hood party"; while the late Dr. Hugh
Cameron (associated with the MacKeens of Mabou, Hugh MacDonald of Mabou,
Alexander Campbell of Strathlorne, and, for a long time, the able Dr.
McLennan of Margaree) resided in Mabou, and was the leader of the
so-called Mabou party". These two parties were exceedingly vigorous. Their
battles were hard won and well fought. It is, of course, a debasement of
state parties to give them even the appearance of being used for sectional
advantage or ascendancy. At the same time, we are bound to say that a good
deal of honour was -displayed by the political gladiators of that day in
inhabitants of this district are fairly divided in religion; one half is
Catholic, and the other half consists of Presbyterians and Baptists. All
are living together on the best brotherly terms. There is a little old
Baptist church, with a small cemetery, at the end of the Glendyer road
which would seem to indicate that the adherents of that belief are not
numerous. On the other hand, the solemn and antique appearance of the
little church and graveyard would suggest deep roots. There is not now,
nor do we know that there ever was, a resident Baptist clergyman here.
There is a handsome Presbyterian Church, built
-upon a hill, on the very brow of Hillsborough proper; and since the days
of the early settlers this congregation has had, from time to time, its
own devoted resident Minister. The first minister, and the one who stayed
longest , was the Reverend Mr. Miller with whom we deal in another
chapter. It is difficult to measure correctly the advantage of having a
good resident leader of souls in any given community. In truth, we some
times fear that we are all lacking in due appreciation of the exalted
mission of our accredited clergy. The pastors of the people! 0#1, what a
force! Wealth is strength; position is eminence; knowledge is power;
education is progress; law is a sanctioned rule of conduct', but of all
the institutions known to man the Christian Church, alone, can adequately
prepare a person, or a people, for life and death.
THE CAMPBELLS OF BLACK RIVER.
In the year 1821 two brothers, named Alexander
Campbell and Angus Campbell, with their wives and two or three young
children, came from the Braes of Lochaber, Scotland, to the new world of
America. They landed at the Strait of, Canso, and were rowed in an open
boat from Port Hastings (then called Plaster Cove) to Mabou Harbour by the
pioneer immigrant, the first Hugh MacMillan.
From Mabou Harbour they made their way inland
to North East Mabou, where their cousin John Campbell (son of Big Donald)
was located. This John Campbell had come from Scotland a few years
earlier, and his place was quite near the Black River. The Campbell
brothers remained with him for the first winter. The three families lived
in one log house for some months. All their farm stock that winter was one
milch cow. Next spring the two new comers each took up a farm of two
hundred acres, side by side, on the Black River Alexander Campbell (Allisdair
MacCallum) was married in Scotland to Lucy Kennedy, who was a convert to
the Catholic faith. None of her people came to Nova Scotia, but her
brother, Lachlan, settled in Ontario. Other members of her family went to
Australia. Alexander Campbell's family consisted of five sons and five
daughters namely: Malcolm, Finlay, Alexander, Angus Donald, Ann, Mary
Marcella, Flora and Catherine.
Malcolm and Angus died unmarried. Malcolm was
the first man buried in the first Catholic cemetery of Mabou.
Finlay was married to Jessie Campbell,
daughter of the Gobha Ban, with issue: Katie, married to Allan MacDonald
of Broad Cove Banks, with issue: John A., Alexander, Jessie, Finlay,
James, Donald, Catherine, Cassie and Ronald D.; Malcolm married to Mary
MacDonald, with issue: Catherine A., Jessie, Mary A., Donald F., Annie L,
Catherine F., Mary Margaret, John, Alexander and Sarah Catherine;
Alexander married to Flora Walker; Mary to Hugh McLean; Isabel married to
Duncan McNeil; Angus, in the U. S., and unmarried; Annie, married to John
(son of Alasdair MacCallum) was married to Ann Beaton, with issue:
Alexander J., died unmarried, Malcolm, single; Katie, married to S. E:
Joyce with issue, Alexander and Francis; Annie died young and unmarried;
Angus R., married to Mary Cameron with issue, Annie, Finlay and Alexander
Ronald; Mary Martha, single, and Alex Ronald who died in college in
(son of Allisdair MacCallum) was married to Mary Campbell, daughter of
Angus Campbell of Glenora, with issue: Alexander, died unmarried; Malcolm
married to Catherine MacMaster with issue: Angus, Jane, Margaret, Donald
and Catherine; Annie, married to Angus Beaton, with issue: Janet, Mary,
Ronald and Donald; Mary married Angus Cameron, with issue: Finlay, Alexina,
Donald, Angus, Margaret, John Angus, and Mary Ann. Sandy, married to Mary
Cameron with issue: Mary and Catherine; Angus died unmarried and Lucy, not
Campbell (daughter of Allisdair MacCallum) was married to John MacNeil of
Mabou Ridge, with issue: Alexander who was married in the U. S. A.,
William, married to Kate McNeil, with issue: John, Donald, Neil,
Alexander, Sarah, Mary, Catherine and Lizzie; Neil married in U. S. A.
Angus married with issue: William, Frances, Hugh, John and Lizzie;
Malcolm, dead; Flora married to Alexander McFarlane; Mary, married to
Donald Gillis of St. Rose with issue:
two sons and two daughters; Isabel married to
Angus MacDonald with issue: Archie Alex, and one girl dead; and Ann,
married to John McFarlane.
Mary Campbell (daughter of Ailisdair MacCallum)
was married to Angus MacDonald of Mabou, with issue: Angus, married to
Martha Cooper with issue: Alexander, Isabel, Alexina, Victoria, Maud,
Martha and John; Alexina, Isabel, Maud and Victoria are dead.
Marcella was married to Angus MacLellan late
of Glenville with issue: Malcolm, John, Flora, Mary, Annie, Archie and
Lizzie. Malcolm was a school teacher and died young. John is married to
Christy Kennedy, Flora was married to Alexander McEachern and had a
family, Mary was married to Donald McLellan and had seven children, Annie
remained single, Archie was married to Maggie Kennedy and had four
children, Lizzie was married to the late Farquhar McLellan and had quite a
was married to Alexander MacDougall of S.W. Margaree, and had three
children, all of whom are dead.
Catherine was married to Alexander Cameron
with issue: Mary married to John McLean, Sarah to John McNeil, and
Alexander to Mary Ann McLellan.
ANGUS CAMPBELL (Gobha Ban)
Came from Scotland in 1831. Was married in
Scotland to Kate MacDonald (sister of Alasdair Dhu of Mount Young) with
issue: three daughters and one son, to wit, Jessie, Annie, Sarah and
Alexander. As it is stated elsewhere, Jessie was married to Finlay
Campbell. She was born at sea coming to America. Annie and Sarah died
young and unmarried. The only son, Alexander, was married to Sarah
Cameron, but had no family.
The Gobha Ban, as the name implies was a
blacksmith by trade. He bought the farm on which he made his home here
from the Trustees of Mabou Parish. There seems to have been some
uncertainty and dispute as to which side of the Harbour the first
permanent church should be built on. In that doubtful period this farm was
bought for Glebe land. Afterwards it was found that it would not be a
central or suitable location for the church and presbytery. Whereupon
another farm for parish purposes was bought down towards the Northeast,
and this one sold to the Gobha Ban. We think the legal ownership-of this
farm vests; at present, in Angus Campbell, son of Finlay, who is away in
the U.S.A. and unmarried.
"Aonghais an Araich" was married in Scotland
to Catherine MacDonald with issue: Malcolm, Donald, Angus (Gillie Ban),
Flora, Katie, Mary and Alexina.
Malcolm was married to Catherine Cameron,
daughter of John Cameron of South West Mabou, and had two children, Angus
and Katie. This Angus, who is now dead, was married to Catherine Beaton,
daughter of the late Donald Beaton of Port Ban, and had a family of
sixteen children: Katie is married to John E. Beaton of Inverness and has,
also, a good sized family. This Malcolm bought a farm at Broad Cove Banks
on which he afterwards lived and died. We remember himself and his wife
very distinctly. They seemed ever happy, and were the very spirit of
kindness in their own house.
Donald was married to Mary Macdonald, daughter
of John McDonald (Lord) of Margaree, with issue: Malcolm, Angus, Katie and
Teresa. Malcolm and Katie were unmarried, Angus is dead, and Teresa
married Lauchlin MacKinnon of Margaree Harbour, and had the following
family; John, Dan, Katie and two other daughters who have joined the Order
of St. Martha at Antigonish.
This Donald Campbell's wife died when the
children were very young. Her people, the (Lord) Macdonalds, took the
children, and for their support the father sold his portion of the fine
farm at Black River to the late Allan Macdonald (California) whose sons
now occupy it. Donald Campbell himself died comparatively young.
Angus (Gillie Ban) was married to Mary
MacLellan, daughter of the late Squire Donald McLellan of Black Glen, with
issue: John, Angus, Alexander, Katie, Mary Bell and Andrew.
The son John is well-to-do in the U. S. A.,
and married to Onie McGraw with issue: Margaret, Ruth and Angus D.
This son of Angus (Gillie Ban) has spent many
years of his young manhood in the United States and Mexico. We take the
following excerpt from "The Cananea Herald" of Sonora, Mexico, dated April
Campbell was born on a farm on the Black River, Inverness County, Nova
Scotia, Aug. 1st, 1864. ' In 1882 he took up his residence in Newton,
Mass., being in the employ of an express company. Two years later he
removed to Pennsylvania, where for four years he was connected with a
lumber company in the capacity of office man and store manager, excepting
when taking a Course in accounting and commercial law in Williamsport in
1855-6. He went to St. Paul in 1888 to enter the service of a wholesale
house, moving later to Chicago with the business. In October 1890 he went
to Bisbee, Arizona, and entered the service of the "Copper Queen
Consolidated Mining Co.," in the Capacity of general cashier and chief
clerk to the General Manager. Here he continued until Oct. 1st, 1901, at
which time he resigned to accept a position with the Cananea Consolidated
Copper Co., and on January 1st, 1902, he was elected Secretary. On January
1st, 1903, he was appointed acting Treasurer. He has been prominent in
Cochise County politics, having been urged to accept Republican nomination
for Treasurer in the election of 1900, but declined. He was instrumental
in organizing the Bisbee News Co., the first owners of the Review. He is
prominent in home affairs as well, being vice president of the Cananea
Club and vice-president of the Cananea Exploration Co."
Angus lives on the valuable homestead, and is
married to Mary McLeod, daughter of the late Alexander McLeod (Duncan) of
Dunvegan. He owns and operates one of the most productive farms in
Inverness County, and is at present the Municipal Councillor for the
district of Hillsborough.
The son Alexander is abroad and unmarried. The
son Andrew is dead.
The daughters of Angus Campbell (Aaraich) were married as follows: Flora
to Archibald McDonald (Gillesbeag Mac Allisdair Dhu) ,of Mount Young,
Mabou, with issue: Alexander, died unmarried; Allan, died unmarried; Angus
the famous piper, unmarried; Sandy unmarried; Mary, Kate and Isabella,
unmarried. Flora was married to John Rankin, Hugh's son of Broad Cove
Banks. No issue. Ann was married to John McDonald, Saddler, with issue:
Alexina, Sarah, Kate, married to Dan Campbell (York), no issue; Mary
married to Alexander MacDonald (Burke), had one son and one daughter;
Flora, married to Dougald McNeil, had three children.
Kate was married to Angus McDonald of Judique
Banks with issue; Angus, married to a Miss McMillan, with issue: Mary,
married to Mr. McMillan, no issue, Donald married to Kate McMillan, had
three children; and Archie, unmarried.
Alexina was married to Duncan McMaster, and
had one son Duncan, who died young. She was married again to Duncan
McMaster, with issue: two daughters and one son.
Mary was married to Duncan
Boyle of Strathlorne, with issue: Kate, Margaret, Isabel, Alexander, Angus
and John G.
married to Michael McDonald of Glencoe:- no issue.
Margaret was married to the late John
McQuarrie, shoemaker, with issue: Mary, Ann, Duncan, Mary Bell, Edward,
Catherine, Margaret and Alexander.
Isabel died in infancy.
Alexander was married to Flora Gillis with
issue: Mary Ann,. Joseph, Maggie Jane, Alexina, Duncan and Mary Bell.
Angus is a tailor and unmarried.
John G., is married to Mary McDonald, daughter
of Angus McDonald, Rear Banks of Broad Cove, with issue: John Duncan,
Angus, Josephine, Margaret Bourgeois and Mary Catherine.
BIG JOHN MACDONALD (BURKE)
John MacDonald came from Lochaber, Scotland,
in 1826, and took up a large tract of land at Black River. He was married
in Scotland to Margaret MacDonald, a sister of the old "Saddlers", Donald
and Ronald, of Black River. The issue of that marriage consisted of the
following children, namely: Hugh, Archibald, Dougald, Angus, Elizabeth and
married to the late Donald McPhee of Mabou Harbour, who formerly owned a
farm and resided at Black River, with issue: Neil, John, Bessie and
married to Donald MacDonald (Big) commonly known as Big Donald Mirimachi,
with issue, (see Glencoe).
The son Hugh was married to Catherine
MacDonald of Mount Young, with issue: Johanna (died unmarried), Ann, died
unmarried), Alexander (died unmarried) ; Isabel, (died unmarried) ; Mary
married to Allan MacDonald, Tulloch, had a family; Margaret, married to
Alexander MacDonald, had a large family; Janet married to David Parker,
issue: Hugh and Lizzie.
The son Archibald was married to Marcella
McDonald (Cross) with issue: Alexander, Dougald, Angus, Ronald, John,
Angus, Senior, and Mary.
Mary was married to a Mr. Fraser of Antigonish.
Alexander, who is dead, was married to Mary McDonald (Saddler) with issue;
Dougald was married to Alexina McDonald with issue: Angus, John, Dan, John
E., Alexander, Dan C., James F., Marcella, Margaret, Catherine, Irene,
unmarried. Ronald was married to a Miss McDonald of Glencoe, with issue:
Duncan and Mary Ann. John died unmarried, and Angus Senior, was married in
the U. S. A.
Dougald was married to Catherine MacDonald, with issue: John, married to
Mary McDonald, Tulloch, of West Lake, with issue: one son Joseph. John and
his wife are dead, but the little boy Joseph, is still living, and the
sole heir to the fine property held by his parents.
Angus, son of Dougald, died unmarried: Donald
died unmarried; Alexander was married to Bessie MacDonald, with issue:
Joseph, Laurier and Stephen; Ann, was married to Duncan MacDonald of Mull
River with issue (See Glencoe) and Margaret married to Donald Walker, with
issue: one daughter, Catherine.
Angus MacDonald, one of the four sons of John
MacDonald (Big) died unmarried at the age of twenty-six.
For forty years Mr. Daniel Black was a valued
resident of Glendyer, having come in 1856 and died in 1896. On the
invitation of Mr. Donald McDonald, the Dyer, he came here as a young man
from McLellan's Brook in the County of Pictou. By trade he was a
Blacksmith and had the reputation of being a good one. Mr. Black was all
his life a good reliable man, and between the needs of the various mills
of Glendyer and the country trade he developed quite a business here. He
was married to Elizabeth Forbes of Pictou with issue: James, Laura,
Catherine, Sophia, Margaret, Jessie, Mamie, Ada, Mack and Henry. They were
a very intelligent and highly respected family. The two oldest sons and
some of the daughters are in California, doing well. One of the younger
sons and two of the daughters usually remain on the homestead with the
Mr. McKay had
been for many years a trusted employee of the Glendyer factory. He was a
faithful, honest, industrious servant. It would be fairly correct to say
that he gave his life to the service of the Glendyer Mills. He never left
the institution after the day of his first hiring until his last illness
compelled him to retire from work. He was a native of West Lake Ainslie
and was married to Catherine McDougall of Broad Cove Banks, with issue:
Mary-Maggie, MaggieJane, Louise, John, Rosie, Matilda, Catherine, James
and Clarence. The son John enlisted in the world war in 1914 and died in
the service. The widow and all the rest of the family, except Mary Maggie,
who is married in Boston, are now residing in the City of Winnipeg.
Several of the daughters are married there, but all are near each other
and their mother. All the family were good, but the second oldest
daughter, Maggie Jane, who had been a school teacher, and a good one,
since her teens, deserves special credit for her steady devotion to her
mother and the family, at home and abroad.
Mr. Murray was, in his time, not only a
prominent business man of Mabou, but also one of the most successful
retail merchants in Inverness County.
He was born in Newfoundland, and came to this
Country in 1825. He commenced his mercantile career in a small way at
North East Mabou, near the old Catholic church. In 1838 he moved to
Hillsboro where he conducted a prosperous trade for several decades.
Mr. Murray was married to Rachel Smith,
daughter of Lewis Smith of Mabou, and had the following family:
Harding Smith Murray, married to Clara McKeen,
without issue, did business at Mabou Bridge and died there October 25th,
married to a Miss Moore of Shubenacadie, with issue: Rachael, John and
Maud; died in Kansas, U. S. A., about the year 1892.
Ellen Murray, married to John Fraser, with
issue: Rachel, and John; died in Shubenacadie, N. S., about the year 1864.
Christina Murray, married to Rev. James
McLean, issue: Murray, David, Margaret, and Wendell; died at Shubenacadie,
N. S., in 1882.
William Murray, married to Jane Pollock, with issue: Ellen, Robert, Maud
and Jean; married the second time to Elizabeth Smith with issue: Carrie,
Dagie, Mildred, John and Maud. William is still living on the old
homestead at Hillsborough.
Lewis Murray, unmarried, died at Hillsborough,
March 5th, 1867. Isaac Murray, married to Annie Stevens, with issue: Fred,
Lewis, and Alexander, did business for years in Halifax, and died at
Riverside, California, in 1900.
Rachel Murray, married to Rev. E. Annand, with
issue: Edward, and Minnie; died at Truro, N. S., in 1909.
Emma Murray, married to David Smith, with
issue: Dan and Ray, died in Truro, N. S., in 1903.
Hezekiah Murray, married to Margaret Cameron,
with issue: Edward, Harding, Allan, Rachael, John, Jean, Winnifred, Claude
and George. Hezekiah succeeded his brother Harding, in business at Mabou
Bridge, and met with satisfactory success which he well deserved. He is
living yet, and well, though somewhat disabled by an injury received a few
years since from an accidental fall on ice. The business is continued by
Patterson Murray, married to Malinda Burton, died in 1893 at Indian Head,
Saskatchewan, with issue: Maud, Eva and Ernest.
Elizabeth Eva Murray, married to A. C.
Thompson, is living in Antigonish.
RONALD McMASTER (The Village Blacksmith.)
Among the first to settle at the cross-roads,
Brook, Village, Mabou, was the late Ronald McMaster, Blacksmith. He was
the son of Hugh McMaster (Big) who emigrated from Inverness-shire,
Scotland, to Judique, in this County about the year 1820. The father, Big
Hugh McMaster, was married to Margaret Graham of Judique.
After serving his apprenticeship with the late
Malcolm McNeil of Hillsborough, Ronald McMaster commenced a blacksmith's
and general hardward business at Brook Village, which he successfully
conducted until his death on the 13th of April, 1896. Mr. McMaster was, in
his younger years, an able-bodied, fine looking Scotsman-one of the
special Highland stalwart sons of a time that is past.
In the early days when farming implements were
made by hand the Smith, or Gobha was an important personage in a
community. Customers invariably found "Raonul Gobha" at his, post, always
ready to attend to their calls and interests. Everybody trusted and
respected him. At his own house he was a prince of hospitality, and his
good wife was equally considerate, and kind. He was married to Sane
McDonald, daughter of Angus MacDonald of South East Mabou. It was a
favorite place of call for the travelling public. In fact this worthy
couple would feel grieved if any of their friends or acquaintances passed
along without calling on them. Their friends could not forget their large
hearted hospitality. In 1895 when the present Archbishop of Toronto
visited the County of Inverness, one of the first men he called upon was
the loyal friend of his father, Ronald McMaster. The family left by the
aforesaid Ronald McMaster were the following: Hugh and Alexander on the
homestead; Catherine, wife of Alexander Jamieson, merchant and Postmaster
at Brook Village; Mary Bell, wife of Charles McInnis of West Lake Ainslie;
Catherine Ann, wife of Malcolm Campbell (Donald's son) of Black River, and
Alexina in Boston. Margaret another daughter who was married to Neil
Murray died some years ago.
DANIEL MEAGHER AND FAMILY
Daniel Meagher was born in Killaloe, County of
Kilkenny, Ireland, about the year 1794. He immigrated to America in the
second decade of the 19th century. After some stay in St. John's,
Newfoundland, he came to Port Hood around 1820, and remained there for
three or four years. While in Port Hood he frequently walked or rode
across the neck of land then connecting the inner Island with the
he moved to Mabou and took up a farm on the road from Brook Village to
Lake Ainslie. He was married to Mary O'Brien, with issue: Edmund, Michael,
John, James, Nicholas H., Ellen, Honora Mary and Sarah. He died at the end
Edmund was a farmer and died unmarried at Lower Stewiacke at the close of
1895; Michael, who was a sea captain, lost his life and his vessel in a
severe storm on December 13th, 1859; John remained on the old homestead
and was married to Isabel Macdonald, and died in 1873; James lived on a
farm adjoining the old homestead was married to a Miss Jamieson and left a
is now the only survivor of the fine family of sons just noted. He was
born in October 1842, and remained at home, attending the district school
and that of Hillsborough, till 1863. In August 1866, after nearly three
years spent in various pursuits, he entered the office of McCully and
Blanchard in Halifax to study for the legal profession. He was admitted to
the Bar in 1872, and entered at once into legal partnership with Mr.
Blanchard who died in 1874.
Mr. Meagher continued the practice and was
appointed Queen's Counsel by the Dominion Government in 1881. In April
1890 he was raised to the Supreme Court Bench, and resigned his seat on
that Bench in February 1916. He was one of the few men who were elevated
to the Judiciary without seeking the honor. His great friend Sir John S.
D. Thompson offered him the position by letter in December 1889. Mr.
Meagher's reply was to ask for time to consider; and his acceptance of the
proffered seat was not signified till the following March.
It seems unnecessary to say that Mr. Meagher's
practice at the Bar was exceedingly large and varied. His friends wondered
how he could stand such strenuous and unceasing endeavour; but he loved
his work, effected it easily, and enjoyed it all.
The same uncommon capacity for work which he
revealed at the Bar was equally evident on the Bench. His analysis of
facts was remarkable. He subjected law and evidence to the inexorable
scrutiny of an educated conscience.
We cannot help noting the amazing number of
legal minds that passed through the law-offices of Mr. Meagher, either as
students or Junior partners. At the moment we recall the following merely
from memory: Angus MacGillivary, Barclay Webster and Daniel MacNeil were
students, and W. B. Wallace was an assistant, in Mr. Meagher's office. All
four became County Court Judges. J. W. Longley was a student in that
office, he became Attorney General of the province, and later a Judge of
the Supreme Court. W. T. Pipes was a student in that office; he became
premier and Attorney General of Nova Scotia. Arthur Drysdale, J. J.
Ritchie, and Humphrey Mellish were students and partners in that office;
the three became brilliant members of the Bench. E. L. Newcombe was a
partner in that office; for many years he has been the capable Deputy
Minister of Justice for Canada. W. B. A. Ritchie was a student in that
office; he died too soon, but ranked among the very keenest lawyers of
this Dominion. "The good tree bringeth forth good fruit."
Ellen Meagher was married to Malcolm MacNeil
of Hillsborough, and became the mother of the following family, namely:
Neil, who is now His Grace, The Archbishop of Toronto; Daniel, who was the
County Court Judge for District No. 6, and died in 1918; Alexander, a
Barrister of Washington, D. C., John, a merchant who died in 1890,
Michael, doing business in the West; Roderick, a manufacturer who died
some years since; Mary, the second wife of Peter Smyth, Esq., of Toronto;
Catherine, the widow of the late Alex J. MacDonald of Seaside, Port Hood;
Christina, wife of D. A. Macdonald, Commercial Traveller, Antigonish;
Honora, Superioress of St. Bernard's Convent, Antigonish known in religion
as St. Martin of Tours; and Margaret, wife of A. A. Chisholm, M. D., of
St. John's, Newfoundland.
Malcolm McNeil, the father of the above noted
family, was one of the most actively useful men of Inverness County. He
was born on a farm at Mabou Bridge, and before he was more than out of the
common school, he and his brother Donald took a contract for carrying the
mail on their backs once a week from Mabou to Margaree, a distance of
thirty miles. After that he learned the blacksmith's trade and set up at
Hillsborough where his industry, probity and care brought him a large
trade. He then started mercantile business in which he did well, bought a
small farm which he made quite productive. raised a large family whom he
trained and educated as only an ideal father would; kept the post office
at Hillsborough for years and died under fifty years of age. He was a
liberal in politics, a Catholic in Religion, a prince in his own home, and
a brave reliable man in all the practical realms of life. For many years
he satisfactorily discharged the duties of a Justice of the Peace.
Daniel Meagher enjoyed in liberal measure the
esteem of all who knew him, for his uniform kindness and high moral
principles. He was noted for his wit and keen sense of humour. Two of his
brothers, John and Nicholas, came from Ireland some years later than he
did. John, who was well educated, settled at Skye Glen, but died
comparatively young, leaving one daughter. Nicholas settled at Mount Young
and became a fairly prosperous farmer. He left a large family many of whom
died young. Those who reached maturity went to the United States in early
life, and did not return. Daniel Meagher ,,poke Irish Gaelic and could
converse freely in Gaelic with the Scottish Highlander,.; who lived near
him. This was an added reason why this genial neighbour from Kilkenny was
always a fond favorite with "the blue bonnets from over the Border."
Peter Murphy, born at River John, lived on a
farm adjoining Daniel Meagher. His wife was Widow Johnston from the Strait
of Canso. They had a large family all of whom, with the exception of
Thomas, Henry, Patrick, and Mary, removed to the United States in early
life,. Patrick died in midlife, and Thomas and Mary took up their abode in
Washabuck. The old gentleman was an exceptionally intelligent man, though
wholly uneducated. About the year 1852 he sold his farm to Hugh MacDonald
(Big John) of whom elsewhere.
Another Irish settler at Brook Village was
Patrick Murray. He was married to a Miss Doyle, a sister of the early
Doyles of North East Mabou. One of his daughters, Mary, died in December
1920 at the great age of 103 years. Catherine married Robert McGeaghan,
and Johanna married Brien Dwyer.
Next to Murray was another Irishman by the
name of John Parker, married to a daughter of Lewis Smith, with issue:
Lawrence, David, William, Robert, Rebecca, Susanah, and another daughter
who married a Mr. Buckley and lived in St. John's. Rebecca of this family
was a bright, capable woman who never married. Susanah married a Mr.
Fraser of Dunmore, Port Hood, Mr. Fraser died many years ago, and his
widow now resides with her son Sinclair Fraser in Halifax.
Three brothers, Alexander, Angus, and Colin
Chisholm lived right near Patrick Murray. They were strong and sturdy men
who had fine farms and large families. Next to them lived Francis Gasper
(Native of Portugal) a kindly soul who married a Miss Breen. They - had a
large family. One of the daughters was married to Wm. McQuarrie, school
teacher. Frank the eldest son lived at Brook Village, and later moved to
Colchester County near Truro, where his sons now reside, and where he
recently died. The daughters other than Mrs. McQuarrie, became
respectively the wives of Lawrence Parker, Reuben Hawley, James MacLeod,
-Wilmot, and James MacLellan. Not one of the family is now in this county.
John MacDonald (Blue) a one time teacher and
Justice of the Peace, lived next to Francis Gasper. Mr. MacDonald was
married to a daughter of Donald Ban MacLean of Foot Cape Strathlorne, by
whom he had one son Donald. Near by was James Smith, a strong farmer and
good citizen. He was married to Jane, daughter of Hon. W. McKeen by his
first wife. The sons of Mr. James Smith were Thomas, Richard, John and
William. The son Richard was a born orator. There were, also, several
daughters one of whom was Mrs. George Bishop of Whycocomagh. Another was
the first wife of Allan MacMillan, Merchant, of Mabou. George Smith,
brother of James lived opposite James' place across the valley of Skye
Austen was a well known Crown Land Surveyor who lived in this section,
near Peter Murphy. He was a Halifax man by birth and fairly well educated.
All the Deeds, Wills, Agreements, and conveyances required in the
neighbourhood were written by him. His work in that line was done with
care and neatness. His eldest son James H. spent half a century in the
Crown Land Office in Halifax, and for the major portion of that period was
the Deputy Head of that important Department. Like his father, he always
put care and conscience into his work, and was a popular and competent
official. He died recently. Two of his brothers still live in this County;
Thomas at Whycocomagh and Richard at Margaree.
Samuel MacKeen, Farmer, resided at
Hillsborough proper. He was a brother of Hon. Wm. MacKeen noted elsewhere.
His son S. G. A. MacKeen, M. D., practised first at home, and afterwards
in Baddeck where he died. Another son of Samuel was Rev. David MacKeen, a
Baptist Minister who had a charge at Southampton, Cumberland County. Two
other sons of Samuel were William, a farmer near by, and John a mill
owner. Margaret, daughter of Samuel was married to a Mr. Kidson of Baddeck.
Wm. Frizzle, merchant, and his wife came from
the North of Ireland. He carried on a farming and mercantile business at
Hillsborough with substantial success, and was highly respected by those
who knew him intimately. He was very reserved in his manner, and
consequently made but few intimate friends. His son Robert conducted a
successful business at Brook Village for many years, and now resides in
Truro. One of Wm. Frizzle's daughters was the first wife of Joseph Hunt, a
prosperous Merchant at Mabou. Another daughter, Maggie, was the first wife
of the late Dr. McLennan, M. P., for Inverness County.
John Dwyer, an old country Irishman, and one
time school teacher, resided at Brook Village. For his opportunities he
was well informed in history and especially in the Holy Scriptures. He
would walk ten miles in bad weather to secure a controversy on questions
of history or religion. He was the father of Peter and the well remembered
Brien Dwyer. The elder Dwyer's wife was a sister of Captain Paul Murphy of
Mabou. None of their family is now living.
William MacKeen, a nephew of Hon. Wm., resided
on Mount Young. His wife was a daughter of David Smith, brother of the
elder Lewis. They had a large family of girls and two boys. The eldest
daughter married Peter Benvie, the rest moved away and were married
elsewhere, except the second oldest who was married to a McLean (?) and
resided at River Dennis.
On the road last mentioned leading to Lake
Ainslie there lived Neil McKinnon, John MacDonald, Donald MacDonnell,
Carpenter, Mathew, James, and Isaac Hawley, sons of Mathew Hawley of
Hillsborough. Neil McKinnon was a son of Lauchlin of Hay River. There were
several McKinnon families at Mount Young and Hay River, some from the Isle
of Muck, some more from the Isle of Rum, and all of them industrious,
thrifty and progressive. All the above named were men of good character,
and held a rank in intelligence beyond their day and opportunities. There
was another resident ,on that road by the name of Peter Shugart (a German)
who served in a regiment of French Cavalry, took part at Waterloo, was
taken prisoner by the English and confined in jail three years. The writer
heard him describe the prison conditions which were horrible and brutal,
and caused the death from small pox, fever and other malignant diseases,
of a large percentage of the inmates. Mr. Shugart was a man of large
stature, but so gentle and kind that no one would suspect him of having
Among the born residents of Hillsborough at a comparatively early date
were the four brothers John, James, Mathew and William Hawley, and their
half-brother Thomas Whitehead. They were in all respects good, useful and
intelligent citizens. Mathew was one of the earliest appointees to the
magistracy and rendered impartial service in that office, especially at
the Court of Sessions. James, his brother, was one of the best beloved in
the district. Alexander Hawley, son of John, is a harness maker residing
at Mabou Bridge. He and James, son of William, residing on the old
homestead near Mabou Village, are the sole surviving members of their
respective families. Mr. Whitehead, who owned the John Murray farm at
Hillsborough, sold cut and moved out of this County many years ago.
Several of the Hawley families of the second generation moved to Ingonish
many years since.
of the early settlers at Mount Young was John MacEachen (lain Mac Ewin ic
Dhual) a native of Arisaig, Scotland. He came to America with two
brothers, Angus and Ronald, the former locating at Mount Young near John,
the latter settling at Little Judique. John was married to Mary McLean
whose people lived on the West River of Antigonish County. Their family
consisted of six sons and three daughters, namely: Dougald, Angus, John,
Donald, Hugh, Duncan, Kate, Sheelah and Mary. Not one of that family is
now living. The boys had a turn for mechanics, some of them became house
carpenters, some more shipwrights, and some millwrights. Angus, John,
Donald and Hugh spent several years in the cities of Maine and
Massachusetts, working in shipyards at high wages. John died in Boston,
leaving a widow, two sons and a daughter. Hugh and Duncan lived in
California. The former died unmarried, the latter without issue. Donald
and Angus returned to the County of Inverness, where they spent the rest
of their days. Angus built several vessels at Port Hood, Mabou, and
Margaree, and afterwards settled down on a portion of the old homestead at
Mount Young. Donald erected a water power grist mill and bought a farm at
Rear Broad Cove Chapel. Dougald was married to Mary MacDonald daughter of
John MacDonald (Ronald) of Broad Cave Chapel, with issue: John, Angus,
Donald, Michael, Charles, Hugh, Ronald, Margaret, Mary, Annie, and Katie.
Angus was married to Catherine Kennedy,
daughter of Donald Kennedy of Broad Cove, with issue: Mary and Lizzie.
Donald was married to Ann Macdonald daughter
of John Macdonald (Ronald) of Broad Cove Chapel, with issue: John D., Dan,
Hugh, Duncan, John A., James, Katie, Mary and Mary Bell. The John A., of
this family was a fine promising young man just entering his
ecclesiastical studies at the time of his death. He was drowned while
bathing near B. C. Chapel.
Katie daughter of John MacEachen, was married
to Allan MacDougall (son of Angus Ban) of West Lake Ainslie, with issue:
John, Alexander, Angus, Donald, Stephen, John Jr., Margaret, Mary and
Julia. The mother of this family was ninety-four years old at the time of
her death. Her sister Sheelah, who was not married, reached the uncommon
age of ninety-seven years.
Mary was married to Lauchlin MacDougall (Ban)
of Broad Cove Banks, with issue: Duncan, John L., Hugh L., Mary, Annie,
Jane, Mary Jr., (died in infancy) and Mary Ann. The mother of this family
was eighty-five years old at the time of her death. None of her family
died before herself except the oldest son, Duncan, and the little girl
that died in arms. The daughter Annie has died since. All the surviving
children of Mary are married, each with a good sized family.
ANGUS MacEACHEN (Hugh Dougald's son).
This Angus was a brother to John just
described. He also took up a farm and resided not far from John at Mount
Young. He was married to Isabel MacDonald, daughter of Hector MacDonald of
Arisaig, Scotland, with issue: Angus, Hugh, Donald, Marcella, Christie and
Margaret. The brothers John and Angus MacEachen died while their
respective families were quite young. In early times there was a lane of
travel from the Margarees and Broad Coves up the South West River, across
Lake Ainslie in small row boats or canoes, up the Hay River to Mount
Young, and thence to Mabou and Port Hood. These two MacEachen homes at
Mount Young were special places of call for the travelling Gaels of the
North. The two widows were distinguished by the phrases "the big widow"
and "the little widow"; the former being the widow of John, the latter
that of Angus. Many were the weary pedestrians who found rest, food,
shelter and plenty welcome in those widowed homes of Mabou's Heights.
Angus, son of Angus, never married. He
remained on the old homestead till he was well past the meridian of life,
with his unmarried sisters Margaret and Christie. Later on he sold out,
and bought a pleasant little farm at Low Point, Cape Breton County, where
Hugh, son of
Angus, known by his intimates as "Hugh the Shingler", lived and died on a
part of the parental property. He was a large sized man, of splendid
conversational powers. If news were scarce, as they often were in the
semi-wilderness, he could weave entertaining Romances, more cheering by
far than the cold facts of pioneer life. He was married to a daughter of
Donald MacDonnell of Brook Village and had a very bright family, all of
whom have left this County in early life, and have not returned. Donald,
son of Angus, left Mount Young and went to Prince Edward Island. Marcella,
daughter of Angus, was married to Big Donald MacLellan of Dunvegan, and
had a large family (see B. C. Marsh). Christie and Margaret were never
MacEACHEN (Son of Black Hugh).
In the near neighbourhood of the other
MacEachen families just described lived this Angus, known locally as "Aonghas
Mac Ewen" "Angus son of Hugh." Ewen Dhu, or Black Hugh came from Scotland,
with a large family of able bodied sons, and settled down in Mabou. The
sons Ronald and Alexander located at Mabou Harbour, Andrew at the North
East of Mabou, John at Ben Virigh, North of Mabou Coal Mines, and Angus at
Mount Young, Mabou. All of these brothers had large families. Angus was
married to Isabel Cameron, with issue: Neil, Angus, Dougald who died in
Montreal ; Hugh who was drowned at the Strait of Canso, John, Alexander,
Sandy, and Donald who went to Australia. Several sons died in infancy. One
daughter was married in Lowell, Massachusetts.
All the sons of Angus except John who was we
think, the youngest, moved away in early life from Mount Young and
Inverness County. John remained and was a notably thrifty and industrious
man. He bought the farm and property of the late Dr. Hugh Cameron, and set
up in retail mercantile business at Mabou Bridge. About three` year ago,
while crossing Mabou Bridge after nightfall, in a buggy, his horse got
baulky and backed the carriage over the Bridge, and. poor John was drowned
in the harbor. His widow still lives, and his son Jack continues the
oldest son of Angus MacEachen, was married to Isabel MacKinnon of Grand
Narrows, Cape Breton County, and moved away to the United States, settling
down in the State of Ohio. Some, at least of Neil's family are distinctly
renowned in faith, morals and letters. One of the daughters is the
Superioress in The Monastery of the Good Shepherd in Toledo, Ohio. Another
sister, Mary Margaret, is a gifted writer in Rome. She has already
published several works, one of which is a delightful Child's Life of Mary
Queen of Scots. Her "St. Francis" is being published in Rome in the
Italian language, and in English by the Extension Press, Chicago. The Pope
was so much pleased with this work that he wrote a preface for it. She
died not long ago.
This Neil's son, the Reverend Roderick, who is yet a young man, has
already won a world fame, not only as a singular linguist but also as a
fertile writer, on the higher subjects of thought. After completing his
preliminary education in America he spent six years in Europe,.
matriculating in the four following Universities, namely: Innsbruck,
Prague, Budapest and Rome. He has been all his life a student of
languages, speaking with ease French, Italian, German, Spanish, Polish,
Hungarian, Slavish and Bohemian. It goes without saying that he knows
Greek, Latin and English. He is now a Professor in the Catholic University
of America at Washington, D. C. In 1918 he was called to the Vatican by
the Holy Father to prepare material for a Universal Catechism. Later he
returned to America as Secretary to Archbishop Cerratti, the personal
representative of the Sovereign Pontiff to the Golden Jubilee celebration
of Cardinal Gibbons.
So far, his published works are the following, namely: Life of Christ
(Dogmatic Series) 5 Vols; Moral Series, 5 Vols; Archeology series, 5 Vols.
edited; Catechism series (4 parts) ; Matrimonial Catechism; Guide to
Catholic Worship; Child's Book (5) ; The Teaching of Religion (a new
system of religious training) ; Religion (First Manual) Religion (First
Course) ; Religion (2nd Manual) ; Religion (2nd Course). Some of these
books are translated into several languages. (One small catechism into
fourteen). The first manual for the teaching of religion is now being
printed in the Vatican press, after being approved by a special Papal
Mount Young! Have we not heard your voices?
THE SMITHS OF SMITHVILLE AND HILLSBOROUGH
LEWIS SMITH (Son of Captain David).
Lewis Smith, who was the son of Captain David
(see Port Hood) took up a large tract of land in Mabou, in a place now
called Smithville. His family were the following: Benjamin, David,
Lambert, Harding, Sarah, Rachael, Chrissie and Rebecca.
Benjamin was married to Janet MacDougall of
Musquodoboit, a sister to the first wife of Hon. Wm. MacKeen, with issue:
Lewis, William D., Isaac, Alexander, Benjamin, Hanna (never married),
Christiana (married to Benjamin Worth), Elizabeth, who died unmarried, and
Janet who was married to Daniel Sinclair of Guysborough, and moved away to
the State of Idaho.
The sons of Benjamin Sr., are all dead except Benjamin Jr. They lived on
separate farms, side by side at Smithville, except William D., who
followed business pursuits. In his younger life he started store keeping
at Mabou Bridge. Subsequently he acquired the ownership of the outer
Island of Port Hood, where he did successful business for many years.
Afterwards he removed to Pictou where he bought a valuable farm on which
son of Lewis, lived on a large farm at Smithville. He was commonly called
Black David, and had the name of being the most tireless worker in Mabou.
At one time he had a thousand acres of land under his feet and he left his
mark on most of it. He was married Mahala Clarke, a sister to Mrs. Richard
Potter who lived in Mabou, with issue: Isaac, John, David, Rachael who was
married to Alexander Pushie, Carriage maker, Elizabeth who married Murdoch
MacLean of N. E. Margaree, and Christina who married Neil MacLean Donald's
son of Loch Ban.
only one of Black David's family now on the old homestead is his son
David, better known in home circles as "Dave Colorado." He is married to
Sarah Etheridge of N. E. Margaree with issue: Edward Bendell, David
Harvey, Lea, Rachael and Betsy. Dave Colorado is just as big a "stir" as
was his valiant father, with the added distinction that he has covered the
East and the West. His soubriquet comes from the fact that he spent years
in the State of Colorado, when the mines and the toughs were going full
strength. The experience did not spoil Dave. He worked hard out West and
returned home to work still harder He is now bordering on the four score,
and has earned a rest. The burden of the farm work now falls upon his son
Eddie, who is a veritable "chip off the old block."
Lambert Smith, son of Lewis, was married to
Elizabeth Wood of Arichat, born in the city of Ripon, England, on July
30th, 1812, with issue: George, Lewis L., Thomas, James, Jane, Diana,
Rebecca, Christiana and Sarah. It is a moot question whether he or Matthew
Hawley, Esquire, was the first white child born in that neighbourhood.
The son George was married to Catherine
MacDonald of N. E. Margaree with issue: Hugh, Fenton, Roger, Annie, Minnie
and Celia who died young. There is none of this family here now.
Lewis L., son of Lambert was married to Flora
Ann MacDonald of N. E. Margaree with issue, Lambert, who died unmarried in
Seattle Washington, Hugh Reginald, Alex Percy married in Halifax, Isabel
Alice married to John Fraser of Vancouver, Margaret Ann married to John
Hart of Port Hood, Ethel Jane married to W. F. Dickson of Norwich,
Connecticut, and Sarah Lorina married to Asa Wolff Stuckey of Nebraska,
owning a valuable homestead in the province of Alberta.
Thomas W. Smith was married to Melinda Burton
of North East Margaree with issue: Joseph B., married to Olive Munro of
Whale Cove; Frank R., who died of Flu on 2nd Janauary, 1919; Ernest W.,
Robie, Harold R., Alice Jean, Ida May and Una Lent.
James MacL. Smith married Clara Burton of N.
E. Margaree. with issue: H. Milton, George H., Mary E., Katie B., Melinda,
Ethel, Myrtle (died in infancy) and Violet.
The daughters of Lambert Smith were, Jane,
married to Wm. Chisholm of New Glasgow, with issue: John Lambert, Julia,
married to Wm. Fee of Montreal, Lillie who died in Dorchester, Mass., in
1914; George W. married to Charlotte Mahon of Truro; James D., married to
Myra McKenzie of New Glasgow; Margaret married to Daniel Drysdale, Salmon
Packer of British Columbia; and Alice who died in Montreal in 1917.
Diana, who was married to Peter McIntosh of
South River, Antigonish, Lewis A. McIntosh, Mayor of Antigonish and Dr.
George S. McIntosh of Halifax are children of this marriage, as were also,
Maggie A., married to George Taylor of Antigonish, Janie Bell married to
J. A. Sinclair of Goshen, nephew of McLean Sinclair, and William W.
married to Greta Sinclair of South River Lake.
Rebecca, daughter of Lambert was married to
Charles Fisher of St. Marys, Guysborough County, with issue: Arthur,
married Maggie Brown of Goldenville, Laurette, married to Rod Fraser of
Garden of Eden, Pictou; Grace married Campbell MacLean East River, St.
Mary's; Thomas A. married to Hanna McLean; Clarence married in Butte,
Montana; Alice who died unmarried in 1902, and Alexander in Bisbee,
Alice, married to Joseph A. Ingraham of N. E. Margaree, without issue.
Sarah who always lived on the old homestead, and died unmarried on May
Smith, son of Capt. David, settled on a farm in Mabou where he lived for
fifty-five years. He was married to Agnes Lyle of Guysborough. He died in
Port Hood, at the home of his brother Parker, January 31st, 1851, aged
seventy-five years. He had gone to Port Hood to attend the funeral of his
brother Parker, took suddenly sick and died there. The two brothers were
buried together, side by side, near their mother's grave in the Port Hood
cemetery. The family of this David Jr., were the following:
1. David and Alexander who settled in New
2. Rebecca who married Richard Austen, Surveyor. The late James H. Austen
who was in the Crown Land office in Halifax for forty-four years was a son
3. Betsey, who married John Parker. The late A. H. R. Fraser of Cornell
University was a grandson of Betsy.
4. William, who married his cousin Susan Smith, John's daughter
5. James who married Jane MacKeen, daughter of Hon. Wm.
6. Nathaniel who married his cousin Rachael Hawley.
7. John, who married his cousin Mary Smith (Isaac's).
8. Nancy, married her cousin Harding Smith (Lewis' son).
9. Susan married first to John Hawley, second to Archy Cameron.
10. George, married to a daughter of Alex McQuarrie of Centreville.
The Smiths of Hillsborough and Skye Glen all
belong to this family of old Captain David's. These are sons of David, son
of Captain David. They were all thrifty, industrious, comfortable farmers.
The late Nathaniel Smith, on whose farm the Presbyterian Church at
Hillsborough stands, was so well known, so conspicuous as a successful
farmer, and so eminently popular with all good men that it is unnecessary
to describe him. The same is true of his namesakes across the river. These
men fulfilled their purpose in life triumphantly. So would many others who
have failed if they had but humbly learned how to do their work,-and then
to do it, "true to the kindred points of Heaven and Home."
DONALD Mac DONALD (Dyer)
Mr. MacDonald came to Glendyer from Middle
River, Pictou in June 1848. His grandfather came to Pictou from the parish
of Kilmorack, Scotland, in the ship "Hector" in 1773, and settled on
Middle River. His father also settled on Middle River where now stands the
town of Westville.
Donald MacDonald was but twenty-three years of age coming to Glendyer,
died at the age of forty-one, but his short tenure of life was fruitful in
service. He erected first a fulling and dyeing mill, then a grist mill,
and subsequently a saw mill. He was a man of high character, intense
industry and honour, and gave himself entirely to the service of the
In 1849 he
was married to Nancy MacDonald of MacLellan's Brook, Pictou County, with
issue: Walter, Duncan Taylor (died in infancy), Donald Skinner, Duncan
MacL., Sophia and Jessie Ann. Jessie Ann was married out West to Daniel
Chisholm a native of Brook Village. She and her husband are now living on
the old homestead at Glendyer. Sophia was married to George H. Crowdis of
Big Baddeck and had two sons and one daughter. Walter was married twice,
first to Annabel Cameron of East River, Pictou, and had two daughters,
Glennie and Hilda. His second wife was Mary Ann Creelman of Stewiacke, no
D. Skinner was
married to Maud Murray, with issue: Walter Burnbrae and George Murray. The
first named son Walter Burnbrae died for King and Country in the recent
great war with Germany.
Duncan MacL. was married to Helen Smith,
daughter of Big David, with issue: Donald, Clarence, Harold, Louise and
Dan the Dyer
died 2nd October, 1866, his wife died on 13th September, 1903. The son D.
Skinner died 13th June 1908, the son Walter June 9th, 1910.
The sons of the "Dyer" built in 1881 the first
Glendyer Woolen Mills. In 1885 these mills, with all their plant and
contents were totally destroyed by fire. Within three months a new mill,
bigger and better than the first, was built, and operated for many years
to the great advantage of Inverness County. It is doubtful that any one
family in Inverness ever packed more public service into a short life than
did this MacDonald family of Glendyer.
THE ADAMS FAMILY.
James Adams and his son John of the Lowlands
of Scotland settled at Hillsborough about the year 1810. James was drowned
near Cape Porcupine. John married Mary Campbell of Cape George. John had
four sons and two daughters. They were (1) John drowned near Boston (2)
Malcolm moved to Boston; (3) Allan moved to Cape George; (4) James who
married firstly Catherine Livingstone of Cape George with issue Dougald,
John and Archibald. Dougald resides. at Mull River. His son Malcolm
("Mack") enlisted during the Great War and died of illness at Winnipeg,
while on duty. Dougald's son James H., also enlisted and was wounded.
James Adams married secondly Jane Livingstone of Mull River (5) Janet
daughter of Pioneer James Adams married Edward Meagher and James' daughter
Mary married Archibald MacQuarrie.