This is a district of value
as an intelligent farming community. The soil is heavy and rich, and the
tillers are shrewd and industrious. The district spreads out far in all
directions and comprises a vast area of tillable land. There is a quaint
little village at the head of the waters where the chief commercial
business of the countryside has always been done. This village is
naturally a beauty spot. It stands and curves, on dry level ground, at and
around the picturesque head waters, looking out upon the glinting expanse
of the wonderful Bras-D'Or. Close behind this village stand the towering
Salt Mountain and other elevated neighbors, exercising their perpetual
vigil like the solemn sentinels of Providence.
Towards the South west of this village, a
little up the Bay, there is an interesting Indian Reserve which has been
appropriately allotted to a surviving band of the Micmac tribethe
original "Lords of the Isle." The looks of their holdings would indicate
that the proprietors of this Reserve are comparatively thrifty and happy.
The national Government has provided them with a respectable school and
school buildings. Fast by this school they have built them an elegant
chapel, modest and modern in its architecture, where the whole band can
meet and worship God in its own way. The State provides for their school
teachers, who are usually of a capable standard, thus affording the
growing young Micmacs a generous opportunity for high school training. And
the opportunity is not thrown away.
This arresting little colony of a primitive
race shows several signs of progress and modernity. Each family has its
own neat frame house and barn, cultivates its own close, owns and drives
its own team, and speaks English a la Lennie; while all the families can
point to a splendid common school, and a common place of prayer. And yet,
a person who knew this locality of old will find that, as is perfectly
natural, it still retains some traces of aboriginal grandeur. Here, making
baskets and embroidered moccasins by hand is, even yet, one of the fine
arts that live and endure. Here, you can always feast on eels, moose or
wild fowl. The tang of Nature still is evident.
"'Tis the place and all around it, As of old,
the curlews call ; Dreary gleams about the moorland, Flying over Locksley
village of Whycocomagh, though not nearly as old as some other villages in
this county, has seen a vast deal of Commercial activity. The first man to
engage in mercantile pursuits there was the late Lauchlin MacDougall,
Esquire, who went thither in early, life from East Lake Ainslie. See
district sketch of East Lake. Mr. MacDougall prospered in Whycocomagh. He
built up for himself a palatial home and a large business, and raised a
fine family, some of whom were well educated, and all of whom were
talented and clever. For the names of his wife and family see sketch of
East Lake. His oldest son John C, was a medical doctor of high repute who
died in Truro a few years ago. George D. MacDougall, a young engineer of
growing fame, who is chief Engineer now of the great British Steel Merger
recently organized, is a son of this Dr. John. C. MacDougall, and is a
grandson of Lauchlin MacDougall above referred to. This Lauchlin
MacDougall was not only a keen business man, but also a citizen of
intelligence quite beyond the ordinary. He was among the oldest Justices
of the Peace for Inverness County, and was an early School Commissioner
for the Northern district of Inverness. His excellent wife and himself
were the soul of hospitality, and their spacious home at Whycocomagh was
often visited by gentlemen of high positions, such as Judges of the
Supreme Court, Bishops and other clergymen of distinction.
We think the next merchant to set up in
Whycocomagh was Ewen Campbell, an elder brother to the late Alexander of
Strathlorne. Mr. Ewen Campbell's business career at Whycocomagh was short,
but successful. Out of the proceeds of his business he built a good-sized
vessel which he brought across to England and sold. With the money paid
him for this vessel he returned to his native Scotland and studied for the
Presbyterian church. After his ordination he spent his remaining years as
a devoted pastor in the parish of Lochs, near Stornoway. Noble man, who
could, in the prime of life, so easily detach himself from the temporal
world and its maxims, that he might live for ever in the joys of the
MacMillan (Big), also, from East Lake, was one of the early merchants of
Whycocomagh who did well. He conducted a considerable business for many
years, was highly respected, and raised a talented family of sons and
daughters. Dr. Charles E. MacMillan of Inverness is one of the sons. We
make allusion to this Edward MacMillan in our District Sketch of East
Lake, the which please see.
Then came Peter MacDonald (Big), Jacob S.
Hart, and James MacPhail. Mr. MacPhail is still livinga very old manbut
has gone out of business many years ago. MacDonald and Hart did each a
nourishing business in a well-conducted way. The former died some forty
years ago, but his business was continued, first by his widow Catherine
MacDonald, and later on by his son, John K., who is still in harness. Mr.
Hart's business died with himself a few years ago. Mr. MacPhail died since
was once a considerable volume of sea-borne trade at Whycocomagh. For
quite a space of time the late Hon. John MacKinnon was engaged in the
buying, selling and shipping, of timber commonly called "ton-timber" for
use overseas. We do not hear of any such business now. Before the advent
of railways and home markets a large quantity of farm products was taken
to Whycocomagh, and either sold to dealers there, or shipped thence to the
markets of Sydney and other places.
The first resident blacksmith in the village
was a Mr. Bishop whose history we have not been able to procure. After him
came Donald MacLean, a Gobha Ruaidh, who was a well known citizen of
Whycocomagh for several decades. He was a strong, energetic, man who gave
much useful service. He was married to one of the MacKinnon women of Mount
Young, and had a fine family of sons and daughters. The sons Neil and
Alexander hold the old homestead in severalty. Murd L., lives in Inverness
and has been a noted orator and comedian at home, and a noted soldier of
the empire, when heroes fell and "poppies grew in Flanders."
Probably the third blacksmith here was our old
friend Norman Matheson, a reliable man and tireless worker. We knew him
well in former times as an honest and efficient municipal councillor
representing the important district of Whycocomagh.
The first settler to come to that part of the
district of Whycocomagh whereon the village is built was John MacKinnon of
Tyree, Scotland, who came in the spring of 1821. He was the progenitor of
the Whycocomagh MacKinnons and took up 400 acres of land, a goodly portion
of which is now covered by the village. He was married in Scotland to
Elizabeth MacLean, also, a native of Tyree, with issue: Allen, Hugh,
Peter, Sandy, Neil, Flora, Katie,Effie and Ann.
The second settler in the neighborhood of the
village was this Donald MacDonald. He came here from North Uist, Scotland,
in the early summer of 1827. He landed at North Sydney in July,
accompanied by his widowed mother, three younger brothers and a sister,
namely: Angus, Alexander, Allan and Margaret. On their arrival in North
Sydney, Donald bought a large boat and proceeded up the Bras D'or lakes
looking for a desirable place to locate on. No place appealed to him till
he reached Whycocomagh and bought a farm from an Irishman at the foot of
Salt Mountain. On this farm was raised one of the remarkable families of
Inverness County. Three members of that family were the late Peter
MacDonald, merchant, of Whycocomagh; the late Honorable James MacDonald,
merchant of West Bay; and R. J. MacDonald, merchant, of Port Hastings.
They were sons of Donald MacDonald above noted. It is doubtful that any
three brothers in any rural district in Nova Scotia, commencing life
without much experience or capital, ever scored the commercial success
achieved severally by these three brothers, Peter, James and Ronald J. All
three had good character and judgment, and a perfect genius for business.
The other brothers of Donald MacDonald branched out into other places. Our
information is that some, if not all, of them went to Upper Canada.
One of the old Hotels here was kept by a Mrs.
Bishop, afterwards Mrs. Swain. She was a kind and competent hostess, and
always did her best to make her guests comfortable. At present the two
Ross houses, conducted by two brothers in active brotherly rivalry, cater
in good form to the needs of the travelling public. These two houses are
conveniently situated in the centre of the village, near the end of the
Orangedale road. Both are always amiably and efficiently served. But the
most widely known and attractive inn for travellers in this village of
Whycocomagh is the "Bay View Hotel", kept and conducted up to date by Mr.
and Mrs. Thomas Mitchell. Mr. Mitchell had been for several years a
stewart on one of the steamers running on the Bras D'or Lakes. This
experience brought him in touch with the pleasure seeking public, and
qualified him for a capital Maitre d' hotel. As a host he is incomparable.
He is a cheerful and canny Scot, knows how to cook and carve, and is
withal a good deal of a wit and a wag. He is admirably supported by Mrs.
Mitchell. The Bay View House stands on a charming spot on the very fringe
of the head waters, and is an actual Paradise for summer tourists. None
who enters there shall ever forget the inimitable Tom Mitchell. No Wonder.
Tom will not only satisfy the stomach, but will also elevate the soul.
"Kings may be blessed but Tom is glorious,
O'er all the ills of life victorious."
He takes a vacation in winter since a few
years; in summer he returns.
There are not many rural sections anywhere in
which the natural scenery is more varied and beautiful than in Whycocomagh
in its several parts. Prom Head Lake Ainslie to Stewartdale one travels
for six miles through a yawning hollow called Ainslie Glen. Here and there
along this valley there is a good and well developed farm, but the
roadside all through is wrapped and dressed in the fragrant poetry of the
tall timbers. From Brook Village to Stewartdale you can travel for seven
or eight miles through a fertile belt of superior country called Skye
Glen. The farms along this Glen are as good as they are pretty. An air of
thrift and comfort, as well as a clear and gurgling brook, runs through
the whole Glen. The brook is buried in Whycocomagh Bay.
From Stewartdale towards the South West you
pass through a stretch of fine forest, on a good road well sheltered and
shaded, close by a large stream on which several mills are operating.
Presently, there breaks in upon your vision the interesting community of
Roseburn, a farming settlement that invites admiration. Going South from
the village of Whycocomagh around the Indian Reserve, the Head of the Bay,
and on to Orangedale, the traveller is bewildered by the many pleasing
changes in the landscape.
And the people! All are modest, quiet, kind,
contented, and appear to be supremely thankful for something or
everything. How is it, why is it, that in these outlying rural districts
those noblest qualities of humanity are more likely to be made manifest?
Our own answer is, that these humble, pastoral
people, protected from the degeneracy of too much modern culture, are
fairly filled with "the simple things of life."
The trees, the winding road, the home
O glory of the commonplace!
O loveliness that shines and glows
From wayside human's face!
The brook, the sky, the chanting birds
O what so rare as these things be?
These simple, humble things of earth
On every hand we see.
The neighbors smile, the trust of child,
The glow in eyes of sweetheart, wife;
How near divine indeed are these
The simple things of life!
PIONEERS OF BOOM (ALBA STATION).
The first settlers of Boom (Alba Station) were
from the Hebri-dean Isles, Scotland. They arrived about the Year 1828
landing at Sydney. They included Donald MacDonald, Donald's son (From
Lewis), Neil MacKinnon and Archibald Kennedy from Tiree, Neil Campbell and
Hugh MacEachen from Mull, John Morrison from Uist and Angus Nicholson from
MacDonald's ancestors were from Moidart. His paternal grand father Angus
MacDonald served in the army of Prince Charlie in the Rising of 1745-46.
Donald married Effie Morrison of Lewis with issue: (a) Angus who married
and had a family; (b) Murdoch unmarried. Murdoch taught school for nearly
twenty years. Now at an advanced age he resides on the old homestead. He
is one of our few remaining seannachies. (c) Donald and Charles died
young; (d) Sarah married Malcolm MacDonald with issue, one son William.
Anne married Lacuchlin MacCallum, no issue.
Neil MacKinnon married Christie daughter of
Duncan MacLean, Marble Mountain, with issue: Duncan, Allan, Margaret,
Catherine, Effie Mary and Flora. Flora is the only member of this family
now at Alba. She married, with issue: Roderick son of Colin Matheson of
Lochalsh, Scotland, latterly of Grand River, Richmond.
Archibald Kennedy, married Catherine MacLean
of Tiree with issue: Donald, Duncan, Hugh, Daniel, Neil, John, Catherine,
Mary, and Christie all of whom excepting John, Duncan and Mary married and
Campbell (Piper) married Betsy daughter of Hugh Mac-Eachern, next
mentioned with issue: six sons who died without issue and two daughters
who remained unmarried.
Hugh MacEachen had the distinction of being at
one time Captain of Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale's pleasure boat "Dubh
Ghleannach" concerning which the excellent bard Alexander MacKinnon
composed the well known song of this name. Hugh married Flora Beaton with
issue: Alexander, Donald, Ronald, John, Betsy, Margaret and Anne.
John Morrison was first married in Scotland
and had issue, John, Donald, Mary, Margaret and Catherine. He married
secondly Effie Campbell and had two sons, Patrick and John.
Angus Nicholson married Mary daughter of Angus
Matheson of Lewis and had issue: John, Angus, Sarah and Ann all of whom
married and had families.
ALEXANDER MacLEAN AND FAMILY.
This Alexander MacLean was born in Barra,
Scotland, in 1768. He was the son of John, son of Ewen. They were Smiths
to the Laird of Barra for seven generations.
Alexander went to Glasgow in his 18th year and
worked as apprentice to a Blacksmith for several years. Afterwards he
worked in Glasgow as Journeyman Blacksmith and Gunsmith till 1799, when he
married Mary MacKinnon, daughter of Neil of Coll, who was clerk of the
Presbyterian Church of that Island. The issue of this marriage consisted
of four sons and five daughters, namely: John, Ann, Catherine, Roderick,
Lauchlin, Mary, Allan, Margaret and Sarah.
The first of the above named children was born
in Barra, the remaining eight in Coll. Parents and family came to America
in 1818 in the ship "Dunlop" of Greenock, of which John Brown was captain,
and Alexander MacGillivray first mate. They landed in Pictou, Nova Scotia.
For six or seven years subsequently Mr. MacLean worked at his trade on the
Gulf Shore of Antigonish. In 1823 he came with his family to South
Whycocomagh where he granted one thousand one hundred (1100) acres of land
for himself and sons. He died in 1848 aged 80 years. His wife died in 1861
family of Alexander MacLean the oldest, John was a seaman and died
unmarried. Ann was married to Roderick Gillis; Catherine died in
childhood, Roderick married Margaret MacInnes (Rob) of Judique; Lauchlin
died unmarried; Mary married John Gillis; Allan went to U. S. A., and was
married there; Margaret was married to John MacEachen "Big Teacher"; Sarah
died unmarried. Donald R. MacLean, at present residing at South Bar, Cape
Breton County, is, we understand, the only male survivor in Cape Breton of
this MacLean family. Direct descendants of another name are numerous.
CAPTAIN FERGUSON FAMILY.
Mrs. Catherine Ferguson, widow of Captain John
Ferguson of Uist, Scotland, and her six children settled at Roseburn in
1842. They landed at Sydney and walked from there to Campbell's Mountain.
The sons were Fergus, Neil and Donald. Fergus married Ann MacKinnon and
had issue a son and a daughter. Neil married Mary Mac-Phail, River Dennis,
and had four sons and six daughters. Donald died unmarried. The Ferguson
daughters were Sarah, Isabel and Flora. Sarah married Hector MacQuarrie,
Port Hastings, and had four sons and three daughters. Isabel married Neil
MacLean, Watchmaker and Tailor, Roseburn, a son of Allan MacLean (Hector)
Cape Mabou, and had issue: Allan, George, Peter, Neil, Dan, Kate and Mary.
Flora daughter of Captain Ferguson married Allan MacLean, Roseburn, son of
Norman MacLean, a native of the Isle of Rum, who settled at Mount Young.
This Norman had a brother Donald (Murdoch) who settled at Beech Hill,
Strathlorne. Flora's family were: John, Allan, Murdoch, Norman, John D.,
Mary, Kate, Sarah (Mrs. Nicholos Martin, Port Hawkesbury) and Jessie (Mrs.
George Wonson Peeples, Port Mulgrave).
While not strictly speaking a pioneer in the
milling business, Thomas Fraser, a native of Pictou County was among the
early grist mill owners and operators in Inverness County. He was an
industrious and open handed gentleman at whose home the wayfarer received
a warm and hearty welcome. He was the son of Hugh the son of Donald Fraser
who with his father, Hugh Fraser (referred to in Patterson's History of
Pictou) emigrated from Kiltarlity, Scotland, to Pic-tou in the ship
"Hector" in 1773. Mr. Thomas Fraser came to Glendyer on invitation of
Donald MacDonald (Dyer). The Glendyer Mac-Donalds are descended from John
Fraser ("John Squire") a brother of the above Donald Fraser. He married
Sarah, daughter of Elisha Randall, Bayfield, Antigonish, with issue: John,
Hubert, Edward Skinner, Mary Anne and Jane. John son of Thomas Fraser
resides at Whycocomagh. He is a miller as were his father, grand father
ana great grand father. Upright and well informed, he is much esteemed in
his adopted district which he represented in the Municipal Council for a
number of terms until his resignation a few years ago. He married, with
issue: wo, sons and two daughters, Hannah MacDonald daughter of Allan
MacDonald of Pictou whose wife was Agnes daughter of William Frizzle.
merchant, Hillsborough. His son, Thomas, was killed in the Great War in
August 1918. In their beautiful home in a picturesque glen near
Whycocomagh Village, Mr. and Mrs. Fraser splendidly represent the highest
ideals of their people.
SOME EARLY SETTLERS OF SKYE GLEN.
In the year 1830 a group of men came from the
Isle of Skye, Scotland, and settled down in that section of the county of
Inverness very naturally named Skye Glen. We observed supra that, through
this interesting vale or glen, there runs a clear and gurgling brook or
river. Some of this group of immigrants mapped out their new homes on the
West, others on the East, of this brook or river. Hence come East Skye
Glen, and West Skye Glen. The place is now fertile and beautiful. It was
fertile in the time of these first settlers, possessing as it did all its
virgin richness, but it was not then attractive to the ordinary eye. We
can imagine the feelings of these lonely strangers from afar, when they
saw that vast extent of moaning forest, and then recalled their long loved
homes in the Hebrides. What a grand voice they could give to that Canadian
Boat song of unknown authorship which, it is said, appealed so forcibly to
that eminent Scotsman, Lord Roseberry. One sample verse of it:
"From the lone sheiling of the misty Island
"Mountains divide us, and' the waste of seas;
"Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is highland,
"And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides".
"Fair these broad meadsthese hoary woods are
But we are exiles from our father's land.
The names of this dauntless group of incoming
Scottish settlers were as follows: Murdoch Gillis, John Beaton, Alexander
Beaton, John MacKinnon, Myles MacInnes and John Nicholson. Each of them
took up and granted a lot of land containing two hundred acres, as per
arrangement with them before leaving their native shores.
Malcolm Gillis settled on the West side of the
Skye Glen river, and had a family of five sons and two daughters namely:
Archibald, Angus, James, Malcolm, John, Susie and Catherine. A descendant
of this family by the name of Archibald Gillis moved from here to Manitoba
some years ago, and was appointed a Senator of the Canadian Parliament
family of John Beaton were: Donald, Malcolm, John, Angus and Isabel; that
of Alexander Beaton: Jonathan, Donald, Sam, John, Flora, Isabel and
Catherine. These Beatons were rugged men of a high standard of talent and
industry. They built up good homes and fine farms for themselves and their
children. Some of them were poets with a piercing point. These could make
the neighbors merry or wrathy at pleasure. This was illustrated by a song
composed by Sam of the second generation for a good natured chum of his.
That classic commenced with the words "A Brighus bha'eg Ruaridh" The
Pants that Rory had. The poet himself sang the song for Rory; Rory, for
the first time in his life, became furious. Damage was averted by the
grace of friends who were strong in the faith.
Although all the Beatons here were farmers and
made good use of their farms, many of them enlisted in other callings in
different parts of the country. Quite a few of them followed coal mining
as a business. Of these was the well known Malcolm S. Beaton now residing
with his family in Pictou County. He was one of the owners and operators
of the "Greenwood" coal mine of Thorburn and, also, the owner and operator
for some years of "The Port Hood Coal Mine." It was no fault of his if
these two ventures did not turn out as he had hoped and wished. He held
those two proporties at a time of universal depression in the coal trade.
He called them both forth from the oblivian of the dead, and made them
serve for years as lively factors in the production of the Nation's coal.
He was for years the very efficient Mine Manager at Inverness. Of all the
Mine Managers ever employed at Inverness, it is admitted that Malcolm S.
Beaton was easily the most skilful, energetic, and successful. In the coal
mining world Malcolm is a trump card. Jonathan Beaton of Inverness and his
brother Malcolm, and Samuel Beaton of the same town, all miners, and all
cousins of Malcolm S, are three other men who rate high, in the noble art
of mining the Black Diamond.
The family of Myles MacInnes were: Neil,
Angus, John, Sarah, Mary, Catherine and Jessie. Some of these turned out
to be famous carpenters, builders and contractors They were all good,
quiet, and industrious people.
We have no trace now of any but one of the
family of John Nicholson. A son by the name of Nicholas Nicholson lived
with his family for some time at Port Hastings, but moved away from this
County and province. Another son, Malcolm, went to the United States in
mid life, and became a Judgeit is said a Chief Justice of one of the
Superior Courts in the State of Kansas. He was born at Skye Glen in 1844
and died in Kansas on November 1st, 1919. He was the son of John, son of
Malcolm the pioneer. This John Nicholson, father of the deceased Judge,
was married to Annie Beaton of the Syke Glen Beatons just described.
James Smith of the Port Hood and Hillsborough
Smiths was the very first settler of Skye Glen. We refer to him in the
district sketches of Hillsborough and Port Hood. All that need be said
here, is, that he was for many years a leading farmer and valued resident
of Skye Glen, was married to Jane MacKeen,daughter of Hon. William
Mac-Keen of Mabou, and had the following family, namely: Thomas, William,
James Richard, John, Alexander, Sophia, Ester and Maggie.
PIONEERS OF ORANGEDALE
Orangedale is now an important railway station
between Hawkesbury and the Grand Narrows. It is a distributing point for
railway freight going out from, and coming into the Southeastern sections
of Inverness County. It has several lively stores, an important post
office, a good hotel, and a comfortable public Hall. There is a good free
stone quarry and, also, a brick manufacturing enterprise nearby, giving
employment to many people, but generally speaking the district is an
agricultural one, and its proximity to the railroad is a great advantage
were early settlers in the section of the Whycocomagh original district,
(1820) native of Tyre
Donald MacLean (1820) native of Tyre
Alexander MacLeod (1820) native of Tyre
Alexander MacNeil (1820) native of Coll
Lauchlin MacCalder (1820) native of Coll
Donald Blue (1820) native of Coll
Archibald MacPhail (1824) native of Mull
Angus MacDonald (1824) native of Mull
Alexander MacQueen (1824) native of Mull
All of these are now dead, but the people of
Orangedale are largely their direct descendants. The old people each owned
and held 200 acres of land. One or two of their descendants occupy each of
those farms now. Angus MacDonald and Alexander MacQueen have no
descendants here now.
Neil MacLean came from Tyree, Scotland, in
1820, and took up a farm at Orangedale. He was married to Mary Macintosh
of West Bay, a native of Eigg, Scotland,and had a family. The sons
Lauchlin and John (deceased) remained on the old homestead. Other sons
were Alexander, Railway Conductor, Sydney, and Neil, an engineer,
MacLeod noted above married Christy MacKinnon a native of Coll, and had
three sons and six daughters. The names of the sons were: Alexander,
Donald and Malcolm. These three sons, now deceased, all lived and died at
Orangedale. All the daughters are married; some of them lived at River
Dennis, some at Whycocomagh, and some at River Inhabitants. Grand children
of old Alexander still remain at Orangedale, some of whom occupy the
Donald MacLean of Tyree noted above was married to Catherine MacDonald, a
native of Coll, with issue: One son Neil lived on the farm at Orangedale.
Grandchildren are now in charge there.
Duncan MacDonald from Mull came in 1820 and
acquired a lot of land at Orangedale. He afterwards moved away from here
and his farm was sold to Donald Martin.
Alexander MacQuarrie came from the Island of
Mull in 1820 and settled at Orangedale. He was married, with issue, to Ann
MacPhail; but none of the family now reside in Orangedale. The farm was
sold to Donald MacAskill.
Donald Graham from Mull was, also, an early
settler here, but none of his descendants remain.
Donald McPhail from Mull came from Scotland to
Prince Edward Island. In 1826 he came to Orangedale which was then called
Mull's Cove, very likely on account of the number of emigrants from Mull
that found their way to the place. Two of Donald MacPhail's sons,
Archibald and Alexander, now occupy the old paternal home-had. These two
sons, who are quiet, honest and industrious men are widely known and well
thought of throughout this county.
Lauchlin MacCalder noted above was married in
Scotland and had two of a family coming here, John and Alexander. The home
is now held by grandsons.
Donald Blue noted supra was a conspicuous old
settler at Orange-dale. Some of his family located at Mull's Cove, and
some at Blue's Mills, River Dennis. After the Blue family came to Mull's
Cove, the place was designated for some time as Blue's Cove, subsequently
receiving the name of Orangedale.
Alexander MacNeil above referred to lived on a
farm at Mull's Cove, was married and had three sons, Malcolm, James and
Alexander, all of whom have passed away. Thomas, a son of Malcolm now
lives on the old homestead. John MacNeil section foreman at Orangedale is
of this family, as is, also, Rev. A. J. MacNeil of Prince Edward Island.
John MacMillan and family from Uist Scotland
were immigrants to Orangedale. Three of the daughters are still living
there. Effie the oldest of these three, is well over one hundred years of
named John MacDonald was locally known and described as, "John MacDonald,
Gray MacDonald's son. He came to Whycocomagh from the "Isle of Skye"
Scotland, in 1854. He| took up 400 acres of land and was married to
Catherine Cameron, with issue: John, Hector, Murdoch, William, James,
Alexander, Donald and Maggie.
John of this family was married to Mary Gills,
with issue: nine sons and four daughters.
James was married to a Miss Ross and had three
sons and four daughters.
Donald went to New Zealand, was married to an
English woman, and had one son and one daughter.
The rest of John Senior's family were not
married D. H. MacDonald, Esquire, a hustling general merchant of
Whycocomagh, comes of these MacDonalds.
THE MacKINNON FAMILY OF AINSLIE GLEN.
One of the earliest settlers of Ainslie Glen
was Captain Loddy MacKinnon, familiarly known as "Big Loddie," He came
from the Isle of Skye, Scotland about the year 1821. He took up 200 acres
of land, was married to a MacDonald woman, by whom he had the following
family: Archibald, who was drowned in Lake Superior; Lauchlin, who died in
comparatively young manhood; Neil, still living on the old homestead;
Alexander, who has been in Australia and all over the world, but residing
now on Whycocomagh Mountains; Charles in Nevada; Mary, Mrs. Donald
Morrison still living at Whycocomagh but has lost her eyesight; Jane, who
was married to Norman MacDonald and died in Whitewood, Manitoba; Flora,
who remained unmarried and died in Boston in 1917.
Neil, son of Loddy, was married to Annie
MacKay, daughter of Hector MacKay, Blacksmith, with issue: Archy Lauchlin
in Toronto; Hector, who has travelled and worked over a great portion of
America, but now resides on the old homestead, carrying on the trade of a
blacksmith; Christina, married to H.D. MacMillan of North Sydney, Jessie,
married to Dan MacNeil, of Ainslie Glen; and Margaret Jane, who is
training for a nurse in a Glace Bay Hospital.
Big Loddie, with the assistance of his
neighbor, John Jameson, built and launched the first canoe ever used on
Lake Ainslie. They cut it out of a tree 3 1/2| feet in diameter and
carried it to the Lake, the first vessel ever floated there.
THE MacDONALDS OF STEWARTSHIDALE
The progenitor of these MacDonalds was Allan
who, with his family, came here (we are advised) from South Uist,
Scotland, in the year 1822. He took up for himself two hundred acres of
land at Stewartdale. The whole region was then a dark and dismal forest,
but even if cleared and cultivated no stranger could have selected a finer
or better lot.
This Allen MacDonald was
married in Scotland to Mary MacLean with issue: John, Norman, James,
Edward, Susie Mary, Alexina and Catherine. The sons John and Norman were
married in Scotland before coming here, the former to Jane MacNiven, the
latter to Catherine Morrison. James Edward got married after coming to
Cape Breton to Mary Campbell. Susie was married in Scotland to Malcolm
MacLeod. They came to America and settled in Ontario, Canada. Mary was
married to Murdoch MacKinnon of Sydney, C. B., Alexina was married in
Scotland to a Mr. Dunlap. Catherine was married to a Mr. MacKeighan of
the oldest son of Allan Sr., had a family of three sons and four
daughters, namely: Donald, Allan, James, Mary, Susie, Jane and Annie. All
these children except Annie were married and had families.
The oldest son, Donald, son of John, was very
widely known. In his young manhood he taught school. Later on he married
Jessie MacPherson, daughter of John MacPherson, Army Tailor, Mabou Ridge
and settled down on a farm. Later still he was appointed a Justice of the
Peace for the county. In this last capacity he performed a great deal of
difficult magisterial work. He was elected several times to the Municipal
Council by the Whycocomagh district.
Norman, son of Allan, also lived on a fine
farm at Stewartdale. He and his home became well known to the whole
countryside. After Norman's death the place and property fell to his son
Allan, who amply sustained the good name of his father. This Allan Jr.,
was married to a daughter of Allan MacLean, of North Lake Ainslie by whom
he had an interesting family of special merits.