Population 2883. Figures
taken from 2001 Census.
The village of Law, which takes its name
from the nearby Law Hill, lies on high ground on the east side of the
River Clyde providing spectacular views of the Clyde Valley.
Originally a mining village, Law remains a
close knit community. Law Hospital which was actually outside the
village closed down a few years ago when it was replaced by the new
Wishaw General but many local people are still employed by the health
Law has a variety of housing, ranging from
council properties and country cottages to family villas and new builds.
There are some local shops where you can buy groceries.
Law Primary is a feeder school for Carluke
High which will be completely refurbished as part of South Lanarkshire
Council's multi-million pound schools modernisation programme.
Law is served by the Hamilton Advertiser and
the Wishaw Press.
Law is the old Scots word for "hill".
Law, like many of South Lanarkshire's towns
and villages, expanded very quickly in the late 1700s with the discovery
of coal. The railway took a while longer to arrive and the station was
built in 1848, although it was one of the many in the area to close
during the Beeching cuts of the 1960s.
Mauldslie Castle was originally built in the
1790s by Robert Adam for the Earl of Hyndford but was demolished in
Law hospital was built during World War II
but closed in 2001 when a replacement general hospital opened at Wishaw.