Payne Odom Genealogy Library Family Tree
The Family Tree -
Metcalfes Muster at their Wensleydale Roots
Metcalfes Muster at their
Celebrating 25 Years of The Metcalfe Society
Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th September 2005
Founded in 1980, The
Metcalfe Society today stands in the forefront of the world of Genealogy
as one of the largest and most respected one-name study groups, with over
1,500 members past and present, home and overseas.
It is dedicated to supporting anyone interested in their Metcalfe (and all
spelling variants) family history and acts as the principal link between
branches in the home country and those settled worldwide.
To celebrate the Societys 25th birthday, this years Muster and AGM will
be a 2-day event held simultaneously at the Dales Countryside Museum,
Hawes and the West Burton Village Hall, Wensleydale, North Yorkshire where
we will also be welcoming attendees from Australia, Canada, France and the
The last largest gathering of the Metcalfe clan was in 1415 when, as
legend says, the Metcalfe clan rode their white horses into battle at
Agincourt to support King Henry V. In todays more peaceful times, the
society will be hosting as many Metcalfes as they can muster for a clan
photograph at 10.30 on Sunday 25 September at West Burton village green.
All those who were born or married a Metcalfe are invited to participate
at this historic gathering, whether a member of The Metcalfe Society or
Whether you are interested in the Metcalfe name itself, general family
history in the Dales, or just want to see more of Wensleydale, there is
something for everyone.
Other events & facilities include:
· Opening of the celebratory activities by Lord Bolton
· Half-day tour in a classic 1950's coach along Wensleydale with
commentary and stops at Metcalfe places of interest
· Guided Walk from Askrigg to Nappa Hall (& return!) viewing the historic
building from the public footpath in front of the hall
· Evening social gathering with dinner & enjoying 'The Dalesfolk', a local
folk group with a rich & varied selection of songs
· Blowing of the ceremonial horn at Bainbridge at 9pm on Saturday evening
a traditional still upheld by a Metcalfe today.
· Presentations about 'The Metcalfes of Pateley Bridge' and a recital of
· Cutting ....and eating... of the 25th birthday cake
· Annual General Meeting. Opportunity to hear and join in with what is
happening in the society
· Displays including family trees, 25 years of the society, history of the
name, where in the world to see the name etc
· Representatives & information from Northallerton County Record Office,
other Family History societies and Friends of Gayle Mill
· Opportunity to meet Metcalfe 'relatives'
· Society sales table :
o Metcalfe merchandise, including 'Metcalfe-History of the Clan' book,
Christmas cards, society journal, stationery to record and store family
o Yorkshire Dales & related merchandise available
o Bookstall - including Federation 'how to' guides
· Access society records held on computer databases (assistance available)
or search through paper records at leisure
· Lending library available on books about Metcalfe, Yorkshire and other
· Mini-bus service between West Burton and Hawes for those without their
own transport or who just don't want to drive!
This comment system requires
you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an
account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or
Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these
companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All
comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator
has approved your comment.