The Herbert H. Norman Post 4830 of Moultrie
Veterans of Foreign Wars was organized on November 20, 1945, by 73
veterans. The charter was granted by the national organization and was
signed by Commander in Chief Joseph N. Stack and Adjutant General R.B.
The post was named in honor of Captain Herbert H.
Norman, a Moultrian who gave his life during Wo9rld War II after
distinguishing himself on the battlefield.
The first commander of the post was T.V. Beard.
Those who served with him during the first year were E.A. Taylor, senior
vice-commander and state commander.
In 1976, John M. Shiver was the commander of the
Various community services have been donated by the
VFW down through the years.
The post has been active in youth work during the
past. It has sponsored Babe Ruth baseball teams, midget football teams,
Tobaccoland Swim Meets and marble tournaments.
The VFW was honored in May of 1965 for its service
to youth in Georgia and community.
The organization made donations to the Moultrie
Youth Center, various school projects and programs, United Givers, March
of Dimes, Christmas Cheer and many other civic and welfare funds.
The VFW sponsored the county Voice of Democracy
contest, sends students to Boys Estate and School Boy Patrol camps and
supports the Sheriffs Boys Ranch. The Post was given an honorary
membership to the Sheriffs Boys Ranch in 1975.
Serving with John Shiver in 1976 were Alwin Willis,
senior vice-commander; Charles Avery, junior vice-commander; Derward E.
Pate, quartermaster; Herbert Chastain, chaplain; Joe King, judge advocate;
Dr. John F. McCoy, surgeon; Richard McCain, trustee; Joe Frank Porter,
trustee and Jay Westberry, trustee.
In view of the recent State Championship by our
Colquitt County Packer Baseball team, it~ez_rsquo~s interesting to note that
Moultrie High fielded its first baseball team in 1914. James Scarbor,
Ashburn Harper, ? Bryan, ? Bryan and ? Sinclair were on that team. Also
Bromwell Kerr, Homer Wilkes, ? Rogers, ? Sinclair and Leo Barber finished
out the roster. The coach was George Roach. The team won three games and
Does anyone know the missing names?
Basketball was organized for the girls too. The
1913-1914 Packeretts won one out of four games, but didn~ez_rsquo~t lose any game
by more than six points. The squad members were Janie Owens. Maude Moore,
Mabel Rogers, Aileen Parker, Kathleen Huber, Ella Best DuPriest, Annie
Gibson and Ruby Shivers.
The first Moultrie High School football team was
organized in 1913. The Packer team tied one game and lost three, but the
majority of the players returned in 1914 and won the South Georgia
championship. Members included Robert N. Nelson (captain), Homer G.
Wilkes, Ashburn Harper, Alvin R. Rogers, Bramwell Kerr, James M. Scarboro,
Ted Smith, Thelma Dekle, Henry Evers, John Harsfield, Leo T. Barber,
Robert Roddenberry and John T. Coyle. The coach was George S. Roach.
The first boys basketball team to play an official
school-sanctioned interscholastic schedule at Moultrie High School was the
one of 1913-1914. Players included Leo T. Barger, James (Dot) Scarboro,
Homer Wilkes, Robert Nelson, Robert Roddenbery and Bramwell Kerr. The
team won three games and lost one. The games were played on an outdoor
More of this next time!