|Atholl Brose has been famous since
1475 when the Duke of Atholl captured his enemy the Earl of Ross by filling a well where
the Earl liked to drink with this magical potion. Ross (not surprisingly) drank deeply and
was taken. As to what became of the rest of the well contents... because this took place
in Scotland it seems very unlikely it was wasted!|
3 tbs. oatmeal, heaped
Scotch whisky to make up 4 c. (2 pt.)
about 2 c. water
2 tbs. liquid heather honey
Put oatmeal into bowl, mix with water to
create thick paste.
- Let stand for 1/2 hour.
- In the next step, the aim is to save the liquid; not the oatmeal!
- Strain liquid through fine strainer into bowl.
- Press with back of spoon to extract all liquid, throw away oatmeal.
- Mix liquid with honey, stir with silver spoon until
- Pour into quart bottle, fill up with Scotch whisky, cork tightly.
Always shake before using.
Serves 4 - 6.