- 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- Butter a 10 x 20-cm (4 x 8-inch) loaf pan. In a
bowl, combine the water and sugar. Set aside. In another bowl,
combine the flour, yeast and salt. Add the sugar mixture. Stir until
a soft ball forms, adding more flour if necessary.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until
smooth, about 10 minutes. Shape it into a cylinder and place it in
the loaf pan. Let rise in a warm, humid place until double in volume
and the top is higher than the lip of the pan, about 1 hour. [You
can fill a jug with boiling water and place it in the microwave along
with the loaf tin.. you don't turn on the microwave!.. just a good
way to get it to rise.]
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the
oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Bake until golden brown, about 1 hour. Unmold and
let cool on a rack.
- Note: You can also make bread dough in a
stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.