Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

History of the Queen's Park Football Club 1867 - 1917
Chapter XXX.—Famous Brothers

Many brothers have obtained fame in the club on the field during the fifty years it has been in operation. Many have done their part on the council board, though their playing ability did not warrant field honours coming their way, and have rendered important services to the club as office-bearers. In the 1867 list of officials the brothers Robert and James Smith are found, the former as treasurer and the latter as a member of committee, and both played in the first International at Partick in 1872, and James in that of 1873, the former as a forward, and James as a half-back. In 1868 the offices were reversed, James becoming treasurer, and Robert a member of committee. The brothers were elected to the same offices in 1869, but as Mr. Lewis Black, who had been appointed secretary, could not accept the office, Mr. R. Smith took up the secretaryship, Mr. Black going into the vacant place on committee. Mr. R. Smith, however, resigned the position in November, 1869, to go to London. Mr. James Smith was still treasurer in 1870, and at the annual general meeting in April, 1871, was elected captain, but in November, 1871, resigned, to join his. brother in London, where they both rendered further service to the club as representatives at the annual meetings of the Football Association. The three brothers Wotherspoon—David, Thomas, and John—were presumably original members of the club, as their names appear on the 1868 roll. David became a member of committee in April, 1869, and of the trio took the most prominent Part in the affairs of the club, until he hived off to Clydesdale with his brother John, over the Gardner split in February, 1874. He filled the office of secretary from November, 1869, on R. Smith's removing to London, until the annual meeting in 1872, when Mr. A. Rae was appointed. Thomas's name was struck off the roll in 1869. David played in the Internationals at Partick in 1872 and in London in 1873, as a forward, and his name appears as a full back for Glasgow against Sheffield in 1874. John played also against Sheffield, 1875, as a member of Clydesdale.

The brothers Campbell, Edward and Charles, were early members of Queen's Park, the former appearing on the roll before his greater brother. Edward obtained a seat on committee at the annual general meeting in April, 1870, but afterwards disappears. As for Charles, he made history both as a player and a legislator, and his record for the many years he gave service to the club in the field, and as president, on committees, and sub-committees, will stand the test of time. He occupied the presidential chair of the Scottish Association in 1889-90, and obtained all the honours possible for a footballer. Only superlatives could meet the occasion in enumerating his achievements on the field. Entering the club 7th July, 1870, he became a member of committee on being elected vice-captain in 1874, and was president in 1879-80. He entered the First Eleven on the opening of Hampden Park, 25th October, 1873, in a Scottish Cup tie against Dumbreck, and obtained his tenth International cap against England in 1886. He was capped three times against Wales, but never played against Ireland, which has been always considered his native country, and where he resides to-day. He appeared for Glasgow against Sheffield on seven occasions, and against London twice. Wrapped up heart and soul in the Queen's Park, he, during his many years of active connection with it, did more for the club than any other of its many eminent members. With all his exterior bearing of nonchalance, Charles Campbell was an intensely nervous man, and took sorely to heart any disaster which befell the team. He was never extreme in his views, and often urged on his fellow-members on committee the suaviter in modo rather than the fortiter in re. His eloquence—he was a capable public speaker—generally swayed the committee to his views, nor was he exultant over a beaten opponent. A specialist at after-dinner oratory, he often assured the defeated, the game was the hardest ever he had played, the score (no matter how great) in no sense represented the run of the game, and the Queen's Park was lucky in winning. After he retired from the committee in 1890, he devoted much of his time to the education of youthful footballers, in whom he took the greatest interest. On the occasion of cup ties, or special matches, his nervousness was such that he could not bear to look on during the progress of the game. He has been known to remain downstairs in the second Hampden pavilion while the game progressed, rushing up the spiral stairs when cheers denoted a goal had been obtained. On being assured all was going well, he -would again go below. At the finish no man appeared more indifferent, and he concealed from all observers the intense nervous strain he had just undergone. Truly his heart and soul were in the Queen's Park. A great player almost to the end of his football career, he played the game fairly—too fairly, according to the light of modern football. Charging was charging in those days, not as to-day, when if one man rubs shoulders on the field with an opponent the whistle is blown. Mr. J. J. Gow, an old colleague of Mr. Campbell's on many a hard-fought field, is so disgusted with the modern parlour game of football, he has ceased to attend matches. Both these great players took with equanimity, and gave back with interest, the hard knocks they received. It is recorded Campbell always apologised when he grassed his man. In defeat he was never despondent, his axiom being, "We must do better next time." He retired from committee at the annual general meeting, 30th May, 1890, but never lost his interest in the Queen's Park. What he did, the honours he received, and his efforts on behalf of the club, will be found all faithfully recorded throughout this book. His name has long been a household word, and his fame has passed on to succeeding generations. He has left his mark on the game, and he can console himself in his retirement, that he has won universal respect and admiration.

Angus and William M'Kinnon, though not brothers, have often been considered such, and both, especially William, bore their share in building the reputation of the Queen's Park. The former became a member, 24th August, 1871, and the latter 7th July, 1870. William was the more famous player, indeed he is considered to have been one of the greatest centre forwards who ever played Association foot- ball. He is the hero of eight consecutive Internationals against England, beginning with the first at Partick in 1872, and ending in 1879. He played once against Wales, in 1876, but never against Ireland. Minor honours also fell to him. William M'Kinnon is one of the ornaments of the game, his name will never be forgotten. A generation which knew him not extol his deeds on the football field. . No player adorned the game more in his day, and none enjoyed the reputation he gained for fairness, modesty, and courtesy. He came first on committee, December, 1873, when W. Ker resigned the captaincy to go to Canada. When the Second Queen's Park—later called the Strollers XI—was instituted, October, 1871, William was the first captain of that team. Angus M'Kinnon played in the 1874 International against England, and both M'Kinnons against Sheffield in the same year. He became a member of committee in April, 1874, and also sat in 1876 and 1877. Appointed secretary in 1878, he resigned the office, and membership, in July of the same year. At that annual meeting, 1878, William came on committee for the second time. William, or "Billy," as he was more familiarly styled, played until the end of the season in the spring of 1879.

Harry and Moses M'Neil were a pair of brothers equally famous in their day, though Moses was more identified with the Rangers than the Queen's Park, for whom he played in "very few matches. He joined bill October, 1875, and played against the Wanderers at Hampden Park, 9th October, 1875, who were "drubbed " by 5-0. A reference to the brothers in a report of that game is worth quoting : " The brothers M'Neil—Harry well backed up by his brother—made some beautiful runs, nor were they, in fact, ever away from the ball while it was in their part of the ground. Their English opponents, too, found it was no use knocking them over, as they just rolled on to their feet again, and on one occasion Harry, who had been charged right over while engaged in the run, went down with his head turned in the way of the ball, shouting to his brother, who had taken it up, to be 'easy.'" Highet and M'Kinnon were also "very sorely tumbled about" by C. W. Alcock, Lord Kinnaird, and their comrades. The brothers were also in the team when Wanderers inflicted on Queen's Park their first defeat in London, 5th February, 1876, and in the Scottish team in the first International against Wales, in 1876, when the North Wales Association, then in its infancy, challenged Scotland. Moses in that match played as a Ranger, as he did indeed in all his International engagements. It is stated seventeen to eighteen thousand witnessed that International. Harry was the greater brother. A genial, happy, tricky, great player, he was most popular, and served the Queen's Park long and faithfully, right up to season 1882-83, during which he played in the early matches of that season against Lugar Boswell and Arthurlie, and in the last against Dumfriesshire, 19th August, 16th September, 1882, and 26th May, 1883, respectively, and also against the Old Carthusians, 24th February, 1883, for old acquaintance sake. He acted as match secretary to the Second Queen's Park in 1883-84. The last "captain" of the Queen's Park team, he held that position when the office was abolished in 1880-81. He was elected to committee, 5th January, 1875, vice William M'Kinnon, who, for want of time, could not then accept the position vacated by Mr. J. Hepburn. Harry obtained many honours. Six times capped against England, his first cap coming in 1874, he played against Wales on four occasions, against Sheffield six times, besides minor honours. Moses was honoured against England in 1880, and played against Wales in 1876, and against Sheffield in 1876, 1878, and 1880, all from the Rangers.

The brothers Ker, William and George, made history for the club. The former, during his brief career, from 7th July, 1870, when admitted a member, to 26th November, 1873, when he resigned to go to Canada, established himself as a player and legislator. Originally a member of the Granville, he played in the first International in 1872, and also in the 1873 game in London, as of Queen's Park, at full back. He became a member of committee in April, 1871, was elected captain in April, 1873, and acted until the following November. George's membership dates from 7th August, 1877. Playing against 3rd Lanark in the early part of that season, 20th October, 1877, as a full back, it is written of him: "In the back department at least, the winning club (Queen's Park won 2-0) did not suffer much by the trial of young Ker, from the Second Eleven, who, in the opinion of some, showed the best form of the whole eleven, and the able tactics he pursued in preventing Miller and others of the 3rd Lanark forwards from getting in on goal were cheered to the echo." Ker continued at full back for a time, and on 10th November, 1877, played in that position with J. Philips, when 3rd Lanark put Queen's Park out of the Scottish Cup ties on the same ground (Cathkin Park) by 1-0. He filled a like position in other important matches to the end of 1877. We find him playing forward, on the wing, with H. M'Neil, against Notts in the return match at Nottingham, 19th January, 1878. As a forward he found himself, and his great deeds as a centre forward would fill a volume. He had absolute command over the ball, at dodging and dribbling he was unsurpassed, and a most dangerous man near goal, his aim being true and his propelling force emphatic. For many years no forward could approach him in this position, and no more valuable asset ever played for the Queen's Park. He had three International caps against England, 1880, 1881, and 1882, and two against Wales, 1881 and 1882. He was in the Glasgow team against Sheffield, 1879, 1880, and 1881. Ker did not play often in season 1882-83, and his last appearance for the club was against Hurlford, in a Scottish Cup tie, 23rd December, 1882. George Ker was a genial, good-hearted fellow, a man who never made an enemy. He left to join his brother William in Canada. George departed quite unexpectedly. The club presented him with a handsome testimonial for his many services, which had to be sent after him. He had retired from the team at this time—July, 1884—but he rarely missed being an interested spectator when the fortunes of the club he did so much to raise to so high a level were at stake.

The Lawrie family have maintained a long and honourable connection with the Queen's Park. James W. Lawrie was a member in 1868. Walter Lawrie was admitted a. member, 10th May, 1872, and was a player and member of committee. He was the first player to use bars on boots. Thomas Lawrie was formally elected to committee, 1st October, 1874, and filled several offices in the club. He was. captain of the Second Eleven, vice-captain of the First team, secretary and match secretary of the club, and president for two years ; also president of the Scottish Football Association" twice, and of the Glasgow Association five times. His name-appears on the 1872 roll. He was chosen for the International, but, having injured his knee, had to stand down. Stewart. Lawrie filled the same high offices as his brother Tom, and was secretary for four years, and president two years-He played in the Queen's Park Juniors with George Ker—a team not directly associated with the club, but who were given the privileges of the club. Stewart joined 23rd August,. 1880. He attained to other distinctions, having been president of the Scottish Amateur Athletic Association, and the Scottish Cross-Country Association (for three years). Stewart Lawrie was president of the Scottish Gymnastic Association, and first president of the West of Scotland Harriers. There were two John Lawries—cousins. One, John of the brothers, was a season ticket holder, and the other John, the cousin, a player in the second string. Charles Lawrie also assisted the Second Eleven, and occasionally played for the seniors. Harry Lawrie, who was admitted 2nd May, 1886, was also a player in the second team. Truly a magnificent record.

R, M. and A. J. Christie were two brothers who, coming from Dunblane, did much for the Queen's Park during the time they were directly connected with it, R. M. became a member, 4th September, 1883. A. J. was admitted 9th January, 1897. Robert was not very long in the black and white jersey ere International honours fell to him. He played against England as a forward in 1884, and his brother against the Rose, at half-back, in 1899, and Shamrock, 1898, and the latter got his Welsh cap in 1898. R. M. also was in the Glasgow team against both Sheffield and London in 1884 and 1885. R. M. Christie resigned from the Queen's Park in 1886, when appointed delegate to the Scottish Association from Perthshire, but was reinstated 26th October, 1888. He made his first appearance in the Queen's Park team against Partick, in a Scottish Cup tie, 8th September, 1883, and, with D. S. Allan, formed one of the best left-wing combinations that had ever done duty for the club in that position. He was raised to the presidential chair of the Scottish Football Association in 1903-04. Alexander held strong views on the amateur question, and he it was who first brought before his committee the advisability of fostering the rising talent in the public schools, and he had a hand in the formation of controlling associations for the schools, and in the initial stages of the Scottish Amateur Football Association. R. M. Christie fought in the South African War in 1901, as Captain in the Black Watch, and also in the Great War. He rose to the rank of Major. He died of wounds and gas poisoning at No. 2 Red Cross Hospital, Rouen.

R. M. Christie had a worthy colleague and successor in J. A. Lambie, one of three brothers who did their full share in maintaining the prestige of the club. John A. Lambie had his birth as a member 7th October, 1884; W. A., 8th May, 1889, on which date another distinguished player, W. Gulliland, also joined; and R. A., 7th October, 1895. They also succeeded each other; when the one fell out, the other was ready to take his place. John, as a lad of sixteen, was in the team in its most strenuous days, and came in about the time that G. Ker, H. M'Neil, and Eadie Fraser had ceased to adorn the football field. It is an open question whether John or William was the better player. Both were in the top rank, and rendered excellent service to the club. John got his first honour against Ireland in 1887, and he had the higher honour against England in 1888. Had he not gone to London when at his best, his list of Internationals would have been greater. Corinthians got the benefit of his Queen's Park experience. William made his debut as an Internationalist against Ireland in 1892, and he played also against the Shamrock in 1895, 1896, and 1897. He formed one of the Scottish team against England on four occasions, 1894, 1895, 1896, and 1897, captaining the Scottish team in the last year. He is found opposing Wales in 1893. These nine caps, with other honours, indicate the great ability of this player. R. A. was more of a legislator than a player. No cap came his way, but he rendered valuable services to the club on committee, and in the campaign for the propagation of amateur football, by obtaining the support of his club, moral and monetary, for the various amateur schemes established by it, after the League system of combination was inaugurated, to conserve amateurism, in all of which the club was the moving spirit, and Mr. Lambie its zealous and faithful ambassador.

William H. and Davidson Berry, truly not giants in stature, yet made up in ability what they lacked in inches. William was in the thick of it in the late 'eighties and early 'nineties. He, the older brother, sought fame and won it in a team that was then a great force in football. His advent in the club was 2nd March, 1886, and Davidson arrived at Hampden Park, 1st June, 1891. "Willie" was a clever player, and immensely popular. He was a pretty dodger, and often has amused great crowds by his success in this department. He was a skilful forward, and in every respect deserved the admiration which the following of the Queen's Park bestowed on him. He played against England in 1888, 1889, 1890, and 1891, against Ireland in 1889, against London for Glasgow in 1890, and Sheffield in 1889 and 1890. W. H. Berry held the responsible office of honorary secretary to the Queen's Park Football Club for seasons 1889-90 and 1890-91. Davidson Berry, also a player of more than average ability received recognition from the Scottish Football Association, playing against Wales in 1894 and 1899, and against Ireland in 1899, and Sheffield in 1894.

Alexander and James Hamilton did good work for the club at a period when the invaluable assistance they rendered was most required. Alexander came from Rangers, 2nd September, 1884, and James joined 6th May, 1885. There was a vast difference between the styles of the brothers. Alick played perhaps the more scientific game, while James used his weight to some purpose, and was looked upon as the battering-ram of the team. Alexander was also more interested in the legislative work of the club, and rose to be president in season 1893-94. Both gained International honours, Alexander against England in 1885, 1886, and 1888, and against Wales in 1885. James played against England, 1893; Wales, 1892 ; and Ireland, 1893. There was a third brother, John, who left the club to play for a professional team. William and Gladstone Hamilton assisted occasionally the first Queen's Park team. Gladys, or Gladstone, played against Ireland in 1906 while associated with Port-Glasgow Athletic.

The three brothers Holm gave faithful service to the Queen's Park in its best days. Andrew H. Holm was a great back, a sure defence, and the most modest of men. A worthy colleague to Walter Arnott, and the pair, playing together for many years, relied upon each other, and their mutual support rendered that position the strongest in a powerful team. Andrew and John W. were admitted together 6th May, 1879, and William A. 3rd June following. Andrew was the only one of the trio who received International honours, playing as he did against England in 1883, and against Wales in 1882 and 1883, against Sheffield, 1882, and London, 1883 and 1884. J. W. Holm, who was equally at home at back or half-back, opposed Sheffield in 1882 as from Queen's Park, and 1884 Pollokshields Athletic, which latter he assisted for a short period, though retaining his membership in the Queen's Park. His reasons for this step are to be found elsewhere. William attended more to the legislative than the playing side of club affairs. He acted as honorary secretary, season 1887-88, with much acceptance. He also was one of the joint treasurers with Mr. James Allan, season 1886-87. As a player he did not occupy such a prominent position as his brothers, who bore the burden and heat of the day in critical times, and passed on the great name of the club to their successors undimmed and undiminished.

Not the least famous of the fraternal players are the brothers Morton, who threw in their lot with the Queen's Park just before the war. The more famous of the two is A. L. Morton, one of the smartest left-wing players who has ever served the club. The war prevented him receiving International honours earlier, but after its close he at once received recognition from both the Scottish League and Scottish Association. For the former, he played in 1919 in the two unofficial matches against England, 26th April and 3rd May, one against Ireland, 22nd March, 1919 ; and the Association did him further honour by capping him against Wales, 23rd February, and Ireland, 13th March, 1920, and selected him against England, but unfortunately an injury at Dundee compelled him to withdraw. R. M. Morton was a capable centre forward, who did good work for the club until he retired in 1920.

There are other brothers who have rendered substantial services to the club—services which have been appreciated— but did not attain the same standing in the public eye as those which have been mentioned. Again, there are brothers, one of whom deserves honourable mention, while the other was only a member of one of the junior teams, and played at intervals with the seniors. Such cases are numerous, and need not be detailed.

Return to Book Index Page


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus