Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed.
Glenora Single Malt Whisky

Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.
Scottish Review

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

Places to go in Perth and Tayside


Aberlemmo Sculptered Stones
At Aberlemmo, six miles north east of Forfar
A magnificent cross-slab in the churchyard, with interlaced decoration on one side and Pictish symbols and figure sculpture on the other. Three other stones, covered in winter, stand by the B9134 road.

Photos by Duncan Fenton

Arbroath Abbey
In Arbroath town centre on the A92.
Tel: 01241 878756

The substancial ruins of a Tironensian monastry, founded by William the Lion in 1178 and intended as his own burial place. Parts of the abbey church and domestic buildings remain, noteably the gatehouse range and the abbot's house. This was the scene of the signing of the Declaration of Arbroath of 1320, which asserted Scotland's independance from England.

Arbroath Abbey

Ardestie Earth-House
One and a quarter miles north of Monifieth, 54 NO 502 344
A curved underground gallery 80 feet in length of Iron Age date; now uncovered, originally attached to a surface dwelling.
Brechin Cathedral Round Tower
In Brechin
One of the two remaining round towers of the Irish type in Scotland, built in the late 11th century with a remarkable carved doorways. Capped by a stone roof added in the 15th century.
View exterior only

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Brechin Round Tower

Broughty Castle
In Broughty Ferry Tel: 01382 346916
A 16th century tower adapted for changing defence needs during the 19th century. Now houses a branch of Dundee Museums.
Broughty Castle
Carlungie Earth-House
Two and a half miles north north east of Monifieth, 54 NO 511 359
A complex undergorund structure, 150 feet long, of Iron Age date. Now uncovered.
Caterthuns (Brown and White)
Near the village of Menmuir, about five miles north west of Brechin, 44 NO 555 668, 44 NO 547 660
Two spectacularly large hill forts. The Brown Caterthun is defended by four ramparts and ditches, and the White has a massive stone rampart, a ditch and outer ramparts.
Claypotts Castle
Near Broughty Ferry, 54 NO 457 319
An unusually complete tower house, with circular towers at diagonally opposite corners, corbelled out to form overhanging cap houses. Built in the late 16th century for the Strachan family, and later the property of 'Bonnie Dundee', John Graham of Claverhouse.
Limited opening, confiorm by telephone: 01786 450000

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Eassie Sculptured Stone
In the old church of Eassie, near Glamis, 54 NO 352 474
A fine, elaborately sculptured monument, with richly decorated Celtic cross on one side and Pictish symbols and processional scenes on the reverse.
Edzell Castle and Garden
At Edzell 6m N of Brechin on the B966.
Tel: 01356 648631

The beautiful walled garden at Edzell is one of Scotland's unique sights, created by Sir David Lindsay in 1604. The "Pleasance" is a delightful formal garden with walls decorated with sculptured stone panels, flower boxes and niches for nesting birds. Visitor Centre. The chequered arrangement of blue and white lobelia in the wall recesses reflect the heraldic colours of the Lindsays and the dwarf box hedge borders are cut to give the family mottoes.

Edzell Castle and Garden

Edzell Castle and Garden

Maison Dieu Chapel, Brechin
In Maison Dieu Lane, Brechin
Part of the south wall of a chapel, belonging to a medieval hospital founded in the 1260s with finely detailed doors and windows.
Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum
In Meigle on the A94.
Tel: 01828 640612.

A remarkable collection of 25 sculptured monuments of the Celtic Christian period. This is one of the finest collections of Dark Age sculpture in western Europe.
Winter: closed

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum

Meigle PictishStone Museum

Restenneth Priory
Near Forfar, 54 NO 482 515
The chancel and tower of the priory church of Augustian canons. The lower part of the tower is very early Roamesque work.

Photo by Duncan Fenton

St Orland's Stone
In a field near Cossans Farm, four and a half miles west of Forfar, 54 NO 400 500
An early Christian sculptured slab, with cross on one side and Pictish symbols and figures on the other.
St Vigeans Sculptured Stones
Half mile north of Arbroath
A fine collection of 32 early Christian and Pictish stones in cottages in the village of St Vigeans.
Open summer only
Tealing Dovecot and Earth-House
Five miles north of Dundee, 54 NO 412 381
The dovecot dates from the late 16th century, and is an elegant little building. The earth-house, of Iron Age date, consists of an underground passage, now uncovered.
Abernethby Round Tower
In Abernethby
One of the two round towers of Irish style surviving in Scotland, dating from the end of the 11th century. Fine views from the top.
Open summer only.

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Abernethby Round Tower

Balvaird Castle
About six miles south east of Bridge of Earn, 58 NO 169 135
A late 15th century tower on an L-plan, extended in 1581 by the addition of a walled courtyard and gatehouse. Refined architectural details.
Limited opening, confirm by telephone: 01786 450000

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Balvaird Castle

Balvaird Castle

Burleigh Castle
Near Milnathort, 58 NO 128 045
The roofless but otherwise complete ruin of a tower house of about 1500, with a section of defensive barmkin wall and a remarkable corner tower with a square cap-house corbelled out. Much visited by James IV.

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Burleigh Castle

Dunfallandy Stone
One mile south of Pitlochry, 55 NN 946 564
A fine Pictish sculptured stone with a cross on one face, and figures on both faces.

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Dunfalandy Stone

Dunkeld Cathedral
In Dunkeld
Beautifully situated on the banks of the Tay. The choir is now the parish church, but the early 15th century nave and tower are in the care of the Secretary of State.

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Dunkeld Cathedral

Elcho Castle
On the Tay, three miles south east of Perth, 53 NO 164 210
A handsome and complete fortified mansion of 16th century date, with three projecting towers. The origional wrought-iron grilles to protect the windows are still in place, and there are remains of the entrance courtyard.
Open summer only

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Elcho Castle

Fowlis Wester Sculptured Stone
At Fowlis Wester, six miles north east of Crieff, 58 NN 927 240
A tall cross-slab carved with Pictish symbols, figure sculpture and celtic enrichment. The stone is in the village church; a replica stands in the square.

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Fowlis Wester Cross-slab (replica outside church)

Huntingtower Castle
3m NW of Perth off the A85.
Tel: 01738 627231

The splendid painted ceilings are especially noteworthy in this castle, once owned by the Ruthven family. Scene of a famous leap between two towers by a daughter of the house who was nearly caught in her lover's room.
Winter: closed Thursday afternoons and Fridays.

Huntingtower Castle

Innerpeffray Chapel
Four miles south east of Crieff, 58 NN 902 183
A rectangular collegiate church founded in 1508. Still retains its altar and evidence of its furnishings.
Lochleven Castle
On an island in Loch Leven reached by ferry from Kinross off the M90.
Mary Queen of Scots endured nearly a year of imprisonment in this 14th-century tower before her dramatic escape in May 1568. During the first War of Independence it was held by the English, stormed by Wallace and visited by Bruce.
Winter: closed

Lochleven Castle

Muthill Old Church and Tower
In Muthill, three miles south of Crieff
The interesting ruins of an important medieval parish church. At its west end is a tall Romanesque tower. The remainder of the church is mostly of 15th century date.

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Muthill Church

Roman Site: Ardunie Signal Station
At Trinity Gask, four miles north of Auchterarder, 58 NN 946 187
The site of a Roman watch tower, one of a series running between Ardoch and the Tay, dating to the first century AD.
Roman Site: Blackhall Camps, Ardoch
Half a mile north of Braco, 58 NN 840 109
Parts of the defences of two Roman marching camps, probably dating to the early third century AD.
Roman Site: Muir o'Fauld Signal Station
East of Ardunie, 58 NN 982 189
Another watch tower site in the same series as Ardunie.
St Mary's Church, Grandtully
Three miles east north east of Aberfeldy, 52 NN 886 505
A 16th century parish church, with a finely painted wooden ceiling illustrating heraldic and symbolic subjects, added in the 1630s.
St Serf's Church, Dunning
In Dunning village
The parish church of Dunning, with a square Romanesque tower and tower arch. The body of the church was rebuilt in 1810, but still contains some of the original fabric.
View exterior only

Photo by Duncan Fenton

St.Serf's Church, Dunning

Tullibardine Chapel
Six miles south east of Crieff, 58 NN 909 134
One of the most complete and unaltered small medieval churches in Scotland, founded in 1446 and largely rebuilt in about 1500. Good architectural detail.
Open summer only

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Evelick Castle
6 miles north of Perth north of A85  NO 205260
16th C  tower house.

Photo by Duncan Fenton

Evelick Castle

Lindores Abbey
Near Newburgh. Founded in 1191.

Photograph by Duncan Fenton

Lindores Abbey

Mains Castle
Dundee.  NO 410330
Dated 1562, building is restored and serves as a restaurant.

Photograph by Duncan Fenton

Mains Castle

Red Castle
At Lunan Bay, 5 miles south of Montrose, east of A92  NO 687510  12th C castle with keep added in 14th C.

Photograph by Duncan Fenton

Red Castle


 


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus

Quantcast