J. Kennedy Tod, the son
of Andrew Tod and Mary Kennedy, was born on the nth September, 1852, at
Glasgow, Scotland, and is a nephew of Mr. John S. Kennedy, the
Thirty-first President of the Society.
He received his education
at the Glasgow Academy, and was well known throughout Great Britain and
Ireland as a football player, many times representing Scotland in the
international games with England, Ireland and Wales.
Soon after leaving school
he came to this country and entered the banking house of his uncle, Mr.
John S. Kennedy. In due course he became a partner, and on Mr. Kennedy’s
retirement from business Mr. Tod formed the banking firm of J. Kennedy
Tod & Co., of No. 45 Wall Street, so well and widely known in the
business and financial circles.
He took an active part in
the reorganization of the railway properties during the disastrous years
from 1890 to 1897 and was particularly interested in the successful
readjustment of the affairs of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway,
Norfolk & Western Railroad, St. Louis & San Francisco Railway, San
Antonio & Aransas Pass Railway, Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway, Rio
Grande Western Railway, Toledo, St. Louis & Western Railroad, Colorado &
Southern Railway, Memphis & Charleston Railroad and Baltimore & Ohio
Mr. Tod was at one time
connected with the National Guard of the State of New York as Commissary
of the 71st Regiment.
While out of active
business routine Mr. Tod continues to remain in touch with numerous
organizations, being Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Caledonian
Insurance Company of Edinburgh, Scotland; a trustee of the Central Trust
Company; the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Company, the Provident Loan
Society of New York, and a director of the American Cotton Oil Company,
the Bank of New York, and the Indemnity Fire Insurance Company.
His name is well and
widely known among the many social organizations of this city, he being
a member of the Knickerbocker, Metropolitan, Lawyer’s, City, Down Town
and Tuxedo Clubs; of the Century Association and the Chamber of
Commerce; of the Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, the Indian Harbor
Yacht Club, Riverside Yacht Club, Fairfield County Golf Club, and the
Veteran Association of the 71st Regiment.
He was elected a member
of Saint Andrew’s Society on 1st December, 1879, and qualified as a life
member in 1888; served as a Manager 1880-1882 and 1884-1888; as
Treasurer 1882-1883; as Second Vice-President 1889-1893; as First
Vice-President 1893-1895, and as President 1895-1897. Since his
retirement from the Presidency he has served as a member of the Standing
Committee from 1897.
He married on the 15th
November, 1882, at New York City, Mary Howard Potter, daughter of Howard
Potter and Maria Louise Brown, but has no issue.
His portrait is
reproduced from a photograph now in his possession.