FERGUSSON, M.D., a leading physician of Tilbury village, also prominent in
public affairs, combines with a thorough professional education those rare
qualities of mind and character that win success for a man at every step
in life. He comes of a respected and gifted Scottish family.
Fergusson, his grandfather, a native of Scotland, was the first of his
line to push out of the cramped environments of Old World institutuions
and seek to better his fortunes in Canada. He passed his early years in
Scotland, and there gained a good education and practical training for
reaching manhood he married, in Scotland, a woman of ability and
refinement, who proved a most encouraging helpmeet. She died in Canada at
the age of sixty-five years. It was during the twenties that Mr.
Fergusson broke home ties and came to Canada, settling in Dumfries
township, County of Waterloo, where he remained for several years.
Eventually, however, he purchased a farm in Beverly township, County of
Wentworth, whither he moved, and engaged in agriculture. From the start
he made a splendid success on this farm, and continuing to prosper, worked
it throughout the rest of his life, improving it from year to year, and
making it in time one of the most attractive and valuable places in the
township. A strong man, both mentally and physically, Mr. Fergusson made
each stroke of work count for good. He died at the age of eighty-two
Fergusson, father of Dr. John Fergusson, was born on the family homestead
in Beverly township, five miles east of Galt, about 1832. There he grew
to manhood, and by assisting his father in the work on the farm early
became well grounded in the best methods of agriculture. Both environment
and an inherent taste for the work decided him upon reaching manhood to
continue the occupation, and in time acquired a 200-acre farm adjoining
the home place, where he has since made his residence. Thorough equipment
for the work enabled him to carry on the place to advantage, and each year
he branched out in his industry and added improvements to his farm,
materially increasing its value. After many years of fruitful industry he
turned over the management of this place to his son, and he has since
lived in retirement.
Fergusson married Annie Dickey, who was born in Ayrshire, Scotland and at
the age of six years came with her parents to Canada, making the trip in a
six weeks’ voyage on a sailing-vessel. By this union there were four
children. Mr. Fergusson has been not only a leading agriculturist of his
township, but one of the most active men in municipal affairs as well, and
for several years he served as a member of the council, and was reeve of
the township. In the discharge of each duty he has shown himself both
thorough and conscientious, and he commands the highest esteem from all
who know him.
Fergusson was born in Beverly township, County of Wentworth, in 1860.
From his earliest years he evinced decided intellectual tastes, and upon
entering school made rapid progress in his studies. He pursued the higher
branches in Watertown high school and Hamilton Collegiate Institute and
then, deciding to study medicine, entered the College of Physicians and
Surgeons at Toronto, from which he graduated in 1885. Thoroughly well
equipped for a professional career, he immediately opened an office in
Essex and began the practice of medicine. A careful diagnosis of each
case, and conscientious attention to his patients, won him a large
patronage from the start, and for six years he continued his labors in
that place, winning for himself a high reputation in his profession. At
the end of that period, in July 1892, he purchased the residence and
practice of Dr. Mitchell, a physician of Tilbury, to which place he moved,
establishing himself anew in his profession, and there he has since
continued. His able and faithful work has each year added new laurels to
his already well-established reputation, and he is now considered one of
the leading physicians in his locality. He is a shrewd and careful
financial manager, and has accumulated considerable property in addition
to his handsome residence on Queen street.
Fergusson was married in Embro, in 1889, to Mary B. Mackenzie, a woman of
culture and many winning social attributes, and of this union there have
been born two children, Archibald Mackenzie and Kathleen.
Fergusson wields a wide influence in his locality, reaching people in all
stations of life. As a strict member of the Presbyterian church he is now
serving as elder in that denomination. Keenly interested in the promotion
of education, he has long been a member of the board of education and is
at present acting as chairman of same. The Reform party, with which he
affiliates, has honoured him at times with many local political offices.
Fraternally he stands high, and, as a member of the A.F.&A.M., the I.O.O.F.,
the Foresters and the C.F., has served as examiner of the local lodges.