GEORGE JAMES GIBB. The Gibbs are among the old and well known families
of the County of Kent, and are of Scottish extraction. George Gibb, the
first member of whom there is any definite record, was of Montrose,
Scotland, and emigrated to the County of Middlesex, Ontario, many years
ago. His house was used for the first post office between London and
Chatham, on the Long Woods road. Here his death occurred in 1839. He
married Mary Gardiner, a sister of James Gardiner, of Chatham, and they
had the following children: Ruth, who is deceased; Jane, wife of Thomas
Neil; Ellen, widow of Ed Bondimer, of Detroit; Eliza, deceased, wife of
Alexander Archer; Peter, deceased, who had one child, Ida, now of Detroit;
and David, deceased.
David Gibb, father of Dr. Gibb, was born in
the County of Middlesex in 1836, and for a number of years was a farmer.
Later he settled in Sarnia, and there died August 8th, 1900.
He married Maria Jackson, daughter of James and Rebecca (Cater) Jackson,
formerly of Oxford, England. Mrs. Gibb died in 1881, the mother of the
following children: William W. died leaving no family; Mary L. is the
widow of Richard T. Maxwell, and has one child, Mary; Alice is now
residing at Sarnia; Emma, wife of F.W. Sheppard, of St. Louis, Missouri,
has four children, Louise, Lilian, Anna and Allan; George James is our
George James Gibb was born in the County of
Middlesex, Ontairo in 1859, and grew to manhood in his native county.
After a preliminary course in the public schools he graduated from the
Wardsville high school, in which he later became a teacher, continuing
there for some time. Then he attended the University of Toronto, and in
1881 he commenced the study of dentistry in the office of Drs. Coyne and
Wilson, of Wardsville, completing his course at the Royal College of
Dental Surgeons of Ontario, from which he was graduated in 1883.
Immediately afterward he commenced the practice of his chosen profession
in Blenheim, where he has since resided, building up a very enviable
patronage among the best people of the community. Professionally he is
regarded as one of the leading dental surgeons of Blenheim, as well as of
the surrounding district, where his ability has made him well known.
In 1889 Dr. Gibb married Leora Arnold,
daughter of Thadeus and Caroline (Field) Arnold, and granddaughter of
Christopher Arnold, one of the illustrious pioneers of the County of
Kent. Three daughters have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Gibb, Alma, Grace
and Moyna. The Doctor and his wife are very popular in social circles.