Site of the Battle of the Thames, on
Highway No. 2, east of Thamesville, Zone Township. At this site a monument
was erected by popular subscription and unveiled July 27, 1924, to the
memory of Tecumseh, who fell in the Battle of the Thames on October 5, 1813.
Grave of Reverend Josiah Henson
("Uncle Tom") situated on the west part of the west half of Lot 3,
Concession 4, Gore of Camden. The Catherine McVean Chapter, Imperial Order
Daughters of the Empire, Dresden, have placed a flagstaff and flag on the
burial plot beside the family monument.
Morpeth, birthplace of Archibald
Lampman, Poet, born 1861, died
1899. A Cairn was erected at
Morpeth by popular subscription and unveiled in 1930, to the memory of
The scene of the Combat of McCrae’s
House, Lot 15, River Road, Raleigh Township, where on the 15th December,
1813, Lieuts. Henry Medcalf, John McGregor, and Moses Rice, Ensign Benjamin
Willson and Sergeant Thomas Douglas, with thirty-two other ranks of the
Provincial Dragoons, Kent, Middlesex and Norfolk Militia, having made a
tiring march of twenty miles through the woods,
surprised and took, after a sharp conflict, an
enemy outpost composed of three officers and thirty-six soldiers of the
Regular Army of the United States. A Cairn was erected by the Historic Sites
and Monuments Board of Canada, on a site donated by Frank Parker, Esq., and
unveiled September 26, 1936.
A Cairn was erected in 1934, by the
Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, at the entrance to the
Blenheim Memorial Park, to commemorate the McKee Land Purchase Treaty of May
The John Brown House, a red brick
building, on the southeast corner of King and Adelaide streets, Chatham. In
this house a newspaper for negroes was printed in 1858 and 1859, and
John Brown the Abolitionist is
known to have spent some time
Site of the first oil discovery. It is
said that the first oil well in the Bothwell field was drilled close to the
river bank on the Kent side of the County line, but did not produce in
paying quantities, and the first paying production was found a hundred yards
or so back from the river on the Middlesex side.
The Dawn Settlement for escaped
slaves, established about 1843 on the east branch of the Sydenham River, two
or three miles above Dresden.
Block House on point of Tecumseh Park,
Chatham. A ship-yard was started on Tecumseh Park in 1794, and a block-house
located on the point of the park was burned in 1813, by American troops.
The site of the Baldoon Settlement. In
1804 Lord Selkirk of Scotland settled 114 persons on 950 acres of land in
Dover Township under an emigration scheme, designed to relieve the distress
of Scottish crofters evicted by land owners in the Highlands of Scotland.
Buxton Settlement, the site of the
establishment of Reverend King’s Colony as a Negro Refuge. At this spot
there is a small wooden Chapel, said to be the first building erected on the
site, for church services and for use as a school room.
Burial place of Indians who
accompanied David Zeisburger, Moravian Missionary, from the United States in
1791, located a hundred yards or so north of Highway No. 2, East of
Thamesville. The land on which the cemetery is located was reserved by the
Government in the Crown Grant.
General Brock’s Night Camp near Erieau.
This site has been located within reasonable limits. General Brock came from
York to Niagara, then across country to Port Dover, where some of the
Norfolk Militia joined his forces. He then proceeded along Lake Erie, some
of the army in boats and part marching along the shore. At. St. Thomas his
force was further augmented. The men camped on the shore of the lake at
night, and one of these camps was west of Point aux Pins about half way
between Erieau and Erie Beach.