Albert Angus Macdonald, Toronto, was born on
February 7th, 1851, at Cobourg. His father, Archibald Macdonald, was judge
of the County Court, County of Wellington, and was a native of Cobourg,
being a son of Captain Archibald Macdonald, of the 8th Regiment of Foot.
His mother was a daughter of Rev. David Wright, whose parents were U. E.
Loyalists, and who formerly settled in the Bay of Quinté region. The
distinguished subject of this sketch was educated at Guelph, and then at
Toronto University, graduating in medicine in 1872. He studied at St.
Thomas's Hospital, London, England, and at Edinburgh, in 1873. He had,
from his earliest years, set his heart upon being a medical man. Although
studious of habit, he took a very active part in sports, being always font
of hunting and rifle shooting, and was a member of the first Canadian
Wimbledon team. Late in 1873, he returned to Canada, and was associated
with Dr. Keating, of Guelph, and did a large general practice. He arrived
in Toronto in 1878, and has been practising his profession in that city
every since, each year with increasing success, till now he had one of the
largest practices established in the Queen City. He took a first class
certificate in the Artillery School under Colonel Williams. He was surgeon
to the Wellington Field Battery of Artillery from 1872 to 1879, since
which time he had been surgeon to the Toronto Field Battery. He is on the
active staff of the Toronto General Hospital, and on the consulting staff
of the Infant's Home and Orphans' Home. In religion he is an Episcopalian,
and in politics a Conservative. He was married on May 25th, 1876, to
Frances Elizabeth Beardmore, daughter of G. L. Beadmore, of Toronto, and
has three children, two girls and one boy. The doctor is possessed of
great energy, and has strong convictions, and when he makes up his mind,
after proper deliberation, he does not change. He is successful as a
professional man, and a social favourite.