Pictonians at Home and Abroad
Pictonians in the Pulpit
THE MINISTERS AND CHURCHES
IN THE TOWN OF PICTOU
A BRIEF history of the
local churches in the County, with a list of the clergymen connected with
them, from their organization to the present time, is here presented. It
is much to be regretted that it is more or less imperfect, owing to the
loss of records and the difficulty in securing definite information.
What has long been known
as Prince Street Church. Pictou, was originally a section of the field of
Dr. McGregor and Mr. Ross. It was formed into a separate congregation in
1801, as the Harbor District. In 1804, Rev. Thomas McCulloch came to it as
its first minister. For twenty years he was the only clergyman in Pictou
Town. He resigned in 1824, and was succeeded by Rev. John McKinlay who
died in 1850. Rev. James Bayne, D.D., was inducted in 1851, and continued
as minister until his death, in 1876. Rev. William Donald followed, from
1878 to 1883. He was succeeded by Rev. Alex. Falconer, D.D., who served
for nearly a quarter of a century. Rev. Geo. C. Taylor followed. Rev. A.
D. Archibald, M. A., the present minister was inducted in 1913.
The first election of
elders took place on May 6, 1787 when John Patterson and John Fraser were
chosen to represent the Harbor District. In 1809 the session was increased
by the addition of Geo. Ives, John Patterson and David Pottinger.
The first minister of
St. Andrew's Church was Rev. K. J. McKenzie, who was followed by Rev. Mr.
Williamson. Rev. Andrew Herdman, of Scotland, was inducted into the charge
in 1849, and ministered for thirty years. He was followed by Rev. Robt.
Burnet, in 1880; Rev. John C. Callan, in 1886; Rev. Robt. Atkinson, in
1889; Rev. Andrew Armit, 1893, and Rev. W. T. D. Moss, 1897. The present
incumbent, Rev. L. H. MacLean, M. A., was inducted March 23, 1904.
The first minister of
Knox Church was Rev. Murdoch Sutherland. The next pastor was Rev.
Alexander Ross, 1860 to 1879. He was followed by Rev. James Carruthers,
1880 to 1885. Rev. Geo. S. Carson, B. A., was inducted in 1885, and
resigned to become Editor of the Presbyterian Witness. Rev. Wm. McNally
followed from 1908 to 1910. The present minister, Rev. A. W. Thomson, was
inducted in 1911. The first Session consisted of Donald Ferguson, Murdoch
McKenzie, Alexander McLeod. Alexander McKenzie, William McKenzie and
Alexander Murray. Over a dozen young men from this church have given
themselves to the ministry.
Below are the names of
the clergymen born in Pictou Town with place of birth and brief reference
to those who are dead, and the present addresses of those who are still
living. A few of the ministers mentioned in this chapter were not born in
the county, but came into it when quite young, and were brought up and
educated in it. The ministers belonging to denominations other than
Presbyterian are so indicated.
ROBERT S. PATTERSON, M.A.,
Pictou; Died in 1882.
He was minister of
the congregation at Bedeque, P. E. I., fifty-six years and six months.
This is, perhaps, the longest unbroken pastorate in one congregation in
the history of the Canadian Church.
JOHN L. MURDOCH, M.A.,
Pictou; Died in 1873.
JOHN GEDDIE, D.D., Pictou;
Died in 1872.
The founder of the
New Hebrides Mission.
WILLIAM McCULLOCH, D.D.,
Pictou; Died in 1895.
He was minister of
the oldest regularly organized Presbyterian Church in Canada for over
fifty years. He was ordained at Truro, Feb. 14, 1839, and his whole life
was spent in this one congregation. He was a man of eminence as a pastor,
a presbyter and educator. He was a son of Dr. McCulloch of Pictou Academy.
DANIEL M. GORDON, D.D.,
LL.D., Pictou; Kingston, Ont.
D. M. STEARNS, D.D.,
Pictou; Germantown, Pa.
Born in 1844;
educated in Pictou Academy; teacher for a number of years in the Maritime
Provinces: ordained in Boston, 1880. From 1886 to the present time he has
been in the Reformed Episcopal Church. In 1892 he went to his present
charge, where he is still pastor. He is a noted Bible Class teacher, and
conducts Bible Classes weekly in New York, Philadelphia, Washington, etc.
His church and Bible Classes help to support over a dozen missionaries in
the foreign field.
ISAAC M. PATTERSON, Pictou;
Died in 1892.
He was Pastor in
Annapolis, Maryland, Milford, N. J., and Bloomsburg, Penn.
JAMES PATTERSON, Pictou;
He was a son of
Matthew Patterson and a minister in the Canadian Northwest. He was
formerly a bookseller in Pictou.
FRANCIS A. ROSS, Pictou;
New Glasgow, N. S.
He spent twenty-two
years in pastorates in the West Indies. He also served as Chaplain in the
Boer War. Retired.
J. R. DOBSON, B.D., Pictou;
Montreal, P. Q.
Pastor of St. Giles
Church, one of the leading churches in Montreal.
JAMES C. HERDMAN, D.D.,
Pictou; Died in 1910.
Mr. Herdman was a
child of the Kirk Manse, born in 1856. He was ordained at Campbellton, N.
B., in 1877. In 1885 he went west and took charge of Knox Church, Calgary,
until 1902, when he was appointed Superintendent of Missions for British
Columbia and Alberta.
WILLIAM C. HERDMAN, M.A.,
Pictou; Halifax, N. S.
A. W. K. HERDMAN, B.A.,
Pictou; Calgary, Alta.
Sons of Rev. Andrew Herdman, late of St. Andrew's Church, Pictou.
PETER M. MacDONALD, M.A.,
Pictou; Toronto, Onto.
DANIEL J. MORRISON, Pictou;
Theological Seminary, Auburn, N. Y., and settled in New York State where
DONALD FRASER, B.A.,
Pictou; St. Peters, C. B.
JOHN W. LOWDEN, Pictou;
DONALD A. MacKENZIE,
Pictou; Tillamook, Ore.
FENWICK W. FRASER, Pictou;
CHARLES TUPPER BAILLIE,
Ph.D., Pictou; Trinidad, B.W.I.
Church, San Fernando, and assistant Professor in the Theological Hall.
A. H. FOSTER, B.D., Pictou
Landing; Durham, West River.
D. R. MacLEAN, B.A.,
Pictou Island; Hazelton, B. C.
CHARLES ELLIOT MacKENZIE,
Pictou; Galliopolis, Ohio.
Mr. Mackenzie is a
son of the late George A. Mackenzie, Pictou. He entered the ministry of
the Church of England from Kings College, about thirty years ago, and
after successful work in the Maritime Provinces, went to Ohio where he was
appointed Archdeacon of the Diocese of Southern Ohio, U. S. A. He is a
brother of President Mackenzie of Dalhousie University.
LEWIS M. WILKINS, Pictou;
Son of Hon. Martin
I. Wilkins, and pastor of the Episcopal churches in Stellarton and Pictou.
FRANK BEATTIE, Pictou;
Mr. Beattie was born
in I834, and died at Wolfville, N. S., 1912, aged seventy-seven years. His
first public work was as a temperance lecturer and organizer. In 1870 he
was ordained, and gave nearly forty years to the work of the Baptist
ROBERT McEWEN, Pictou;
Antigonish, N. S.
RICHARD POWER, Pictou;
WILLIAM E. PURCELL, Pictou.
Father Purcell was
born in Pictou in 1874. He attended the public schools of Pictou and
Pictou Academy. In 1889, he entered St. F. X. college and in 1893, he
began his philosophical course at the Grand Seminary at Montreal, where he
also took a course in theology. He taught for a time at St. Anne's
college, Digby County, as professor of English. He was ordained a priest
in 1898 and was curate at Chatham and Bathurst, N. B., and parish priest
at Jacquet River before going west. He died in Montana, Aug. 23, 1912.
THE MINISTERS AND CHURCHES
IN NEW GLASGOW
The History of the
churches in New Glasgow is largely the history of the Town, for they have
played a foremost part in its life and growth.
In 1787 a log church was
built on the West side of the river. This was used until 1803 when a frame
church was erected at Irishtown. In 1834 the congregation was incorporated
under the name of James Church and in 1852 a large wooden building was
erected in the town of New Glasgow.
The first Minister was
the Rev. James McGregor, D.D. He came in 1786, and died in 1830. He was
succeeded by Rev. David Roy, D. D., who came to Nova Scotia in 1830, and
the following year was inducted minister of the congregation. He labored
faithfully until laid aside by failing health in 1871. He died in 1873,
aged 82 years, having preached the gospel for forty years with great
energy and power. Rev. E. A. McCurdy, D.D., was minister from 1871-1891.
He was succeeded by Rev. James Carruthers, 1892-1904. Rev. G. Ernest
Forbes, was inducted in 1904, and continues in charge.
On May 30, 1888, the new
St. Andrew's congregation was organized. The ministers have been: Rev.
Alexander Robertson, 1888-1896, and Rev. W. McC. Thomson, 1897-1906. On
Nov. 5, 1907, James Church and New St. Andrew's united under the ministry
of Rev. G. E. Forbes, with the name First Presbyterian Church. On Nov. 5,
1912, the cornerstone of the First Presbyterian Church was laid on the
site of old James Church. It was opened and dedicated to public worship,
April 12, 1914. The congregation worshipped in New St. Andrew's Church
from June 1908 until the opening of their new church home.
Congregation was formed from the Church at Fraser's Mountain, and Rev.
Donald A. Fraser, was minister
until 1837. Rev. John Stewart was the second pastor, 1838-1845. For eight
years they were without a pastor after the disruption. Rev. Allan Pollock
was settled there in 1853 and continued until 1875. The other ministers of
this church have been: Rev. George Murray, Rev. George Coull, Rev.
Archibald Bowman, Rev. S. J. McArthur, B.D. The present incumbent, Rev.
James A. Ramsay, B.A., was inducted in 1898.
Primitive Church was an off-shoot from James Church, and was organized,
May 25, 1845. The first meetings were held in the old Temperance Hall.
Primitive Church was built in 1849 on the corner of Provost and McLean
Streets. In 1848 Rev. George Walker arrived in Pictou from Scotland. He
accepted a call to this church and was inducted Sept. 20, 1848. He was its
only pastor. In 1873 the church was enlarged. In 1874 it was burnt. In
1845 Knox Church was built by the Free Church adherents. Rev. Mr. Stewart
was the minister of Knox Church, 1845-1866. He was succeeded by Rev. John
M. Macleod and Rev. Robert Cumming, D.D.
the autumn of 1874, the year of the great fire, the two congregations got
together and formed the United Church. They continued to worship in Knox
Church until January 9, 1876, when the present building was opened and
occupied. Rev. Mr. Walker was minister of the United Church until 1878,
when he was relieved by the settlement of Rev. E. Scott, the congregation
making Mr. Walker, Pastor Emeritus. Mr. Walker was a preacher of great
ability and power. He was a most faithful minister, and in every way
adorned his calling. He died Feb. 4, 1884, in the seventy-ninth year of
his age. Rev. E. Scott, D.D. retired in 1891, and was succeeded by Rev.
Anderson Rogers, D. D., who was pastor from July 1893 to March 1908. Rev.
John H. MacVicar, D.D. was minister from December 10, 1908 to March 17,
1912. Rev. J. Macartney Wilson, B.D., was inducted in May,
1913. Peter A. McGregor
has been treasurer of the United Church since its organization, and, for
three years was treasurer of Primitive Church.
The First Presbyterian
Church, Trenton, was organized in 1889 and the Church built in 1890. Rev.
A. W. Thomson was pastor from 1889 to 1890; Rev. H. R. Grant, April 13,
1891 to April 1904; Rev. D. C. Ross, Nov. 8, 1904 to Sept. 1913. Rev. A.
A. Macleod, present pastor, was inducted 1914.
THE FOLLOWING MINISTERS
WERE BORN AND BRED IN NEW GLASGOW
PETER G. McGREGOR, D.D.,
New Glasgow; Died in 1886.
Dr. McGregor was the
son of Rev. James McGregor, D.D. He studied Theology under Dr. McCulloch.
In 1843 he was called to Poplar Grove Church, Halifax, where he was
minister for twenty-five years. He was an excellent pastor and preacher.
In 1868 he was appointed General Agent for the Church in Nova Scotia, the
duties of which he discharged with fidelity and success.
JOHN FORREST, D.D., LL.D.,
New Glasgow; Halifax, N. S.
GEORGE SUTHERLAND, New
Glasgow; Died in 1868.
Mr. Sutherland was
one of the first graduates of the Free Church Seminary, Halifax, and was
settled first in Nova Scotia and afterwards in P. E. I., where he labored
for a time. He went to New Zealand in 1886, and was called to Dunedin. In
1870 he was called to Sydney, Australia, where he labored until his
death, which was instantaneous, as he was removing his outer clothing on
his return from a congregational meeting.
J. A. F. SUTHERLAND, New
Glasgow; Winnipeg, Man.
ROBERT J. CAMERON, New
Glasgow; Died in 1879.
Mr. Cameron was
educated at Glasgow University. He was called to St. Andrew's Church, St.
John, N. B., in 1870, and labored there for six years. Resigning that
charge, he removed to Scotland, where he obtained an important
congregation, the duties of which, however, proved too great for his
strength. He died at the Manse, Burnt Island, Scotland, in the
thirty-sixth year of his age. Mrs. Cameron was a daughter of the Hon.
James Fraser, New Glasgow.
A. H. CAMERON, New
Glasgow; Keremeos, B. C.
A brother of the
Rev. Robert J. Cameron.
HUGH W. FRASER, D.D., New
Glasgow; Vancouver, B. C.
Dr. Fraser studied
in Manitoba College; was settled at Fort William, Ontario, and Holland.
Manitoba; went to China, and returned from there to San Francisco, where
he was a minister for a number of years. In 1904 he came to Vancouver, B.
HUGH R. GRANT, B.A., New
Glasgow; New Glasgow, N. S.
Nova Scotia Temperance Alliance.
FRANK L. FRASER, New
Glasgow; Kennewick, Wash.
Brother of the Rev.
WILLIAM MEIKLE, B.A., New
Glasgow; Tuxford, Sask.
Mr. Meikle, with the
Rev. J. P. Gerrior, was for many years engaged in Evangelistic work.
WILLIAM L. MacRAE,
Abercrombie; Golden. B. C.
DONALD M. GRANT, New
Glasgow; Cincinnati, Ohio.
CHARLES J. CAMERON, New
Glasgow; Vancouver, B. C.
JOHN R. FRASER, New
Glasgow; Avoca, N. Y.
JAMES A. FRASER, B. A.,
New Glasgow; Pittsburg, Pa.
ALEXANDER W. McLEOD, New
Glasgow; Summerland, B. C.
GEORGE MacDONALD, New
Glasgow; Baptist Church, U.S.A.
SAMUEL A. McDOUGALL. New
Glasgow; Chester Basin, N.S.
FRED A. SULLIVAN, New
Glasgow; New Hampshire.
JOHN BURNS. came to New
Glasgow when a lad; Died in 1851, aged 27 years.
JAMES BURNS, New Glasgow;
Born in 1825; Died in 1907.
WM, HENRY BURNS, D.D., New
Glasgow; Evanston, Ill.
Mitchell Burns, who
was a potter by trade, came with his wife, Ann Morrow, from the north of
Ireland, in 1830 or 1831, and settled on what is now the John Connolly
estate at Potter's Brook, to which stream he gave the name. In 1841 the
family removed to River John, where Mrs. Burns died in 1858, and Mr. Burns
in 1871. They had a large and notable family of seven sons and four
daughters. Three of the sons entered the Methodist ministry. John Burns
died in early life at Sackville, N. B.
James Burns was educated
at Sackville, N. B., served several churches in the Maritime Provinces,
and later in Chicago, and Idaho, where he died in 1901. He was a member,
at one time, of Dr. Roy's Church. His daughter, Angeline, married Dr.
Frederick Holmes, of San Diego, Cal. His eldest son, Jabez B. Burns,
practices Dentistry in Poyette, Idaho. Another son, John Burns, is a
Dentist in Oakland, Cal.
William H. Burns was born
in 1840 in New Glasgow; graduated from the Wesleyan University,
Middletown, Conn. He is a member of the Rock River Conference, and spent
most of his ministerial life in Chicago and vicinity. He married Miss Ann
P. Foster, daughter of Rev. Caleb Foster, Aurora, Ill. He is the author of
"The Higher Critic's Bible; or, God's Bible?" "The Crisis in Methodism",
and other books. His only son, William Foster Bums, is a graduate of
Princeton University and Chicago Law School, and is a barrister in
The eldest of the family,
Stuart Burns, lived in New Glasgow; was a merchant in River John, but
spent his later years as a druggist in Sydney, C. B., where he died. His
son, Dr. W. F. Bums, born in River John, is now a practicing Dentist in
Sydney, C. B. Anna Burns married William Perrin, farmer and tanner in
River John. Their son, Dr. Albert M. Perrin, was born there, and is now
practicing medicine in Yarmouth, N. S. Margaret Burns married George
Langille, a mill owner in River John. Their son, M. K. Langille, is a
Dentist in Truro, N. S.
Robert E. Burns was a real
estate dealer in New York and San Francisco, Cal. He died in Portland,
Ore. Bion, his son, is a Dentist in San Francisco. Charlotte Burns married
Alexander McDonald, a ship builder, River John, who now lives in Victoria,
Samuel W. Bums, M.D., was
born in New Glasgow, in 1836, is now practicing medicine in Shelburne, N.
S. His eldest daughter, married Dr. Muir, Dentist, Shelburne. Thomas M.
Bums, M.D., born in New Glasgow, 1838, practiced medicine in Shelburne,
removed to Oakland, Cal., and died there. His son, Dr. Thomas M. Burns, is
a Professor in the Denver Cross Medical College. Another son, Daniel C.
Burns, is a lawyer and real estate dealer in Denver, Col.
Carrie N. Burns married C.
S. Lane, Dentist of P. E. I. Their eldest son, Franklin K. Lane, was born
there July 15, 1854. He lived in Pictou when a child, where his father
practiced his profession. The family moved to California, where the son
graduated from the University of California, in 1886. In 1889 he practiced
law in San Francisco. From 1897 to 1902 he was a member of the Interstate
Commerce Commission. In 1913 be was appointed Secretary of the Interior,
in President Wilson's Cabinet. Mr. Lane is a Democrat in politics and was
his party's candidate for mayor of San Francisco, for governor of the
State and for the U. S. Senate. He is a man of fine personality and high
character. For a score of years he has been a prominent figure in the
public life of the Pacific Coast and is today one of the public men of
mark and standing at Washington. George W. Lane, another son, practices
law in San Francisco, Cal. Frederick Lane, a third son, is a Dentist in
San Francisco. The Rev. F. E. Barret, New Glasgow, N. S., pastor of the
Methodist Church is a great grandson of Mitchell Bums.
EAST RIVER MINISTERS AND
The East River
Congregation was formed into a separate charge, in 1824, with the Rev.
Angus McGillivray as its first minister. The West Branch Section was
connected with it. In 1853 the church at Springville was built. The Church
at Sunny Brae was erected in 1854, and was supplied by Rev. Mr. Blair for
several years. In 1866, Rev. A. Maclean Sinclair became pastor of the
Springville and Sunny Brae Congregations, and served them for a period of
twenty-two years. Rev. John Calder was pastor, 1889-1892. In 1892, James
Sinclair was settled as minister. In 1894 the Congregation was divided,
Springville and Bridgeville forming a separate charge under Rev. Mr.
Sinclair. He resigned in 1910; and in 1911 Rev. E. A. Kirker, B. A. became
minister. The Bridgeville Church was built in 1894.
The first regular minister
of the Kirk at St. Paul's was Rev. John Macrae, 1827 to 1847. He was
succeeded by his son, Rev. D. Macrae. Rev. Simon McGregor was the minister
1860-1869. He was succeeded by Rev. William McMillian in 1875. He
continued pastor until 1888. The present St. Paul's church was built in
The Sunny Brae and St.
Paul's congregations were formed into a separate charge in 1894. In 1895
they called Rev. W. P. Archibald who was pastor until 1904. He was
followed by the Rev, George A. Sutherland 1904-1911. The present pastor,
Rev. D, K. Ross, was inducted Sept. 1912. The first elders of Sunny Brae
were Finlay Grant, James McDonald and Duncan McMillian. They had worthy
successors in James Cumming, William Ross, John A. McDonald and John
Cruikshank. A brother of the latter, D. B. Cruikshank, is now an elder and
clerk of the Session.
NAMES OF MINISTERS BORN ON
WM. McMILLAN, Churchville;
He was educated for the
ministry in Scotland, and was for a number of years pastor at Earltown,
whence he removed to Saltsprings. He was pastor for 13 years at St. Paul's
Church, East River. He was a diligent minister, and a warmhearted friend.
He was minister of the
West Branch and East River Kirk Churches for eight years. He spent
thirteen years in pioneer work in British Columbia. He went to Scotland in
1881, and was elected minister of Appin, in the North of Scotland, where
he labored until he retired. He died in Edinburgh, deeply regretted.
Springville; Died 1869.
JAMES MacLEAN, D.D.,
Springville; Died 1914.
Nearly the whole of Dr.
Maclean's ministry was spent in Colchester County at Shubenacadie and
Great Village. He was a graduate of the West River Seminary, and finished
his studies in 1853. He was an excellent preacher and minister and a most
He was a nephew of the
Rev. Dr. Maclean, and was a student for the ministry, but died in early
JOHN D. McGILLIVRAY, Springville, Truro, N. S.
Retired from the Ministry.
JAMES T. McGILLIVRAY,
A student in theology,
died Oct., 1856, aged 24 years.
Sons of Rev. Angus
ROBERT GRANT, Springville;
Studied in Pictou Academy
and Edinburgh University.
DAVID C. MacKINTOSH, D.D.,
Springville; Shenandoah, Iowa.
FINLAY G. McINTOSH, B.D.,
Springville; Dorchester, N. B.
WM. R. McKAY, B.D.
Springville; Kong Moon, So. China.
ROBT. G, McKAY, B.A.,
Springville; So. Vancouver, B. C.
WM. MacDONALD, B.A.,
Springville; Barney's River, N.S.
ALVER McKAY, Springville;
Hollyburn, B. C.
JOHN A. MacDONALD, B.D.,
Bridgeville; Died 1890.
Son of Duncan Macdonald
and Mary McPhie; born Nov. 6, 1849, While working at the carpenter's
trade in Boston, he decided to devote himself to the ministry, and began
his preparation in the New Glasgow High School. His studies being
interrupted by a long illness, he was sent as a missionary to Trinidad,
1874 to 1877. He took a special course in Dal. Coll., 1877-79, continuing
his study at the Pine Hill Divinity School. He attended Andover
Theological Seminary, 188284, but seeking a more favorable climate, served
as home missionary in Arizona, and afterward at different places in
California. He continued his studies at the Pacific Theological Seminary
in the class of 1885, and was ordained pastor at Lincoln, Cal., May 21,
1885. The last few years of his life was a continual fight with sickness
but he supplied congregations as he was able, His ministry, though brief
and only kept up by an indomitable will, bore abundant fruit. He was a man
of sincere piety, an earnest preacher and a most devoted friend. His
whole life was blameless and beautiful. He died at Elgin, N. S., Jan. 29,
1890, at the age of forty years.
A. H. FRASER, Bridgeville;
Broken Bow, Neb.
A. J. H. FRASER,
Bridgeville; Port Morien, C. B.
JAMES W. FRASER, St. Pauls;
For forty years pastor of
St. John's Church, Scotsburn, N. S.
DONALD K. CAMPBELL, St.
Pauls; Ottawa, Ill.
JOHN W. CAMPBELL, St.
Student for the ministry.
Died, Delaware, Md., Feb. 18, 1874.
SIMON W. THOMPSON, B. A.,
St. Pauls; Kindersley, Sask.
WM. ROSS, B. A., Sunny
Brae; Vancouver, B. C.
Thirty-three years pastor
Prince William, N. B.
ROBT. D. ROSS, Sunny Brae;
As a minister and preacher
he won the affectionate confidence of the people. He had a most winsome
disposition and a keen sense of humor, which made him a most agreeable
companion. He was settled in Wolfville, N. S., in 1882, where he labored
for about 10 years, until failing health compelled him to resign.
ROBT. J. GRANT, B.D.,
Mr. Grant was cut off in
the prime of life June 10, 1898, at Montreal, Can. While attending the
General Assembly he and four young friends had gone on bicycles to visit
the Lachine Rapids, when returning to the city he was run over by an
electric car. His death was instantaneous He was a young man of high
intellectual attainments, and devoted piety, and had a distinguished
course in college. For two years he was settled at St. George's Church,
River John, and his brief ministry was rich in promise. He died in the
thirty-first year of his age.
WM. GRANT, Sunny Brae.
He was educated in the
Presbyterian College, Halifax, and an additional year at Princeton
Seminary, N. J. His pastorates were at Earltown and West Branch, seven
years; at West River Clyde and Brookfield, P. E.I. nine years; at Port
Morien, C. B., thirteen years; and at Grand River, eight years; in all
some thirty-seven years. In every pastorate his work was a success. His
careful preparation for the pulpit was continued to the last, when for a
few weeks before the end he was unable to go to the church, he sent the
prepared sermon in manuscript to be read. The last of his sermons thus
sent was read in the Grand River Church on Sunday, Dec. 16, 1906. He died
on the following Tuesday. Mr. Grant was greatly afflicted in his family
circle. Melville, his eldest son was ordained to the ministry, but ill
health laid its hand upon him and he died in early manhood. Clarence, a
younger brother, was suddenly called away when engaged as a theological
student in a mission field, and Mary SibelIa, a sister, died soon after
her graduation from the university.
FINLAY R. McDONALD, Sunny
He was educated at the
Academy. He pursued his theological studies in Scotland, and after
graduation was called to the pastorate of Cooper Angus, an important
charge in Scotland, where he labored with fidelity for 21 years. He died
WM. P. GRANT, B.D., Sunny
Brae; Truro, N. S.
Pastor of the First
WM. M. GRANT, M. A., Sunny
Brae; Ayr, Onto
FINLAY H. McINTOSH, M.A.,
Sunny Brae; Sydney, C. B.
Pastor, Falmouth Church.
CHAS. D. McINTOSH, M.A.,
Sunny Brae; River John, N.S.
JAMES A. McDONALD, B.A.,
Sunny Brae; Youngstown, Ohio.
WM. C. ROSS, B. A., Sunny
Brae; Halifax, N. S.
A. W. ROBERTSON, B. A.,
Centredale; Kennetcook, N. S.
DUNCAN A. MACPHIE, M.A.,
Centredale; Boston, Mass.
Secretary of the
Evangelical Alliance. Office, 507 Tremont Temple.
J. P. MacPHIE, M.A., Sunny
Brae; New Glasgow, N. S.
THE MINISTERS AND CHURCHES
Hopewell is a village of
about 450 people, with a beautiful country surrounding it. The first
church was built in 1820, one and a half miles above the village. Rev.
John Macrae was the first minister, 1827-1844. His son, Rev. Donald Macrae,
succeeded him, 1857-1859. He returned a second time, in 1870, and remained
It was during his first ministry that St.
Columba's Church was built in 1859. From 1860 to 1869 Rev. Simon McGregor
was minister. He was succeeded by the Rev. Peter Galbraith 1875; the Rev.
Peter Melville 1881, the Rev. Homer Putman 1893, Rev. John Macintosh 1898,
and the present Pastor, Rev. C. Munro 1908.
Church, Hopewell was organized in 1854. The present church was completed
and opened in 1857. The first minister was Rev. John Mackinnon. He was
inducted in 1858, and served the Church for eighteen years. He was a
preacher of great vigor, and a most faithful pastor. The Rev. A. Maclean,
D.D., was his worthy successor, 1877-1891. The first elders were Peter
Ross, Robt. Munro, John McLean, Robt. Dunbar, Thomas Grant, Daniel Shaw,
Enon McDonald and Angus McPhie. Rev. Simon Fraser was pastor in 1892; Rev.
Wm. McNichol, in 1895; Rev. Hugh Miller, 1908, and the present minister,
Rev. Geo. A. Logan, 1912. The Ferrona Church was an off-shoot from the
Hopewell congregation. It was organized March 3, 1896. Revs, W. H, Smith,
A. M. Thompson and J, F. Polley have served it as pastors.
MINISTERS BORN AND BROUGHT
UP IN THIS DISTRICT
REV. A. MacLEAN, D.D.,
Hopewell; Eureka, N. S.
Retired from the
DONALD MacRAE, D.D.,
Hopewell; Died 1909.
HUGH DUNBAR, Hopewell;
HUGH ROSS, Hopewell; Died
CLARENCE MacKINNON, D.D.,
Hopewell; Halifax, N, S.
ALBERT G. MacKINNON, M.A.,
Hopewell; Greenock, Scotland.
Author of a series
of books for young men: "Spiritually Fit"; "Tangible Tests";
"Truths for Today"; "God's Right of Way Through a Young Man's Life". Rev. Clarence and
Albert G. Mackinnon are sons of the late Rev. John Mackinnon.
JOHN B. McLEAN, B. D., Hopewell, Huntington,
Author of "The Secret of the Stream",
thoughtful religious essays on Life and Literature.
A. D. McINTOSH, M.A., Hopewell; Souris, P. E.
JAS. R. MacDONALD, Hopewell.
He was for many years a teacher in the
public schools in the Province. Graduated from
Princeton Seminary 1895, held pastorates in Fairville, N. B., Barney's
River, Caledonia and Sheet Harbor, N. S. He died at Elmsdale, 1912.
JOHN W. BRITTON, Hopewell; Pugwash, N. S.
ASA. J. CROCKETT, B. A., Hopewell; Hopewell,
Graduated from the Rochester Baptist
DONALD ROSS, D. D., Lome; Died 1907.
At the age of 27 he entered the ministry
and for four years was pastor in Seattle, Wash. Twenty-five years
were spent in eastern Canada, when he removed to the West. He
was a man widely known for his learning and for his faithful work.
JOHN R. FRASER, M.A., Lome; Uxbridge, Ont.
ALBERT M, MacLEOD, B.A., Lome; Hyde Park,
WM. A. ROSS, M.A., Lome; Moncton, N. B,
General Secretary Sunday School, N. B.
and P. E. I.
D. K. ROSS, B. A., Lome; Sunny Brae, N. S.
JOHN CAMERON, D.D., Glengarry;
Minister of Dundee, Canada for some time
and for many years Parish minister of Dunoon, Scotland, where he
JOSEPH HALLIDAY, Glengarry; Orange City, Fla.
Pastor Congregational Church.
THE MINISTERS AND CHURCHES OF STELLARTON.
St. John's Church was organized in
connection with the Kirk body. It was an offshoot from St. Andrew's
Church, New Glasgow. Rev. Wm. M. Phlllips was the first minister, inducted
in 1863. In 1871, Rev. Chas. A. Dunn was settled over the congregation. He
was followed by Rev, E. H. Burgess and Rev. D. M, Matheson. Rev. W. L.
Cunningham, the present minister was inducted in 1908.
Sharon Church is a child
of old St. James' Church, New Glasgow. The original Sharon Church was
built on the banks of the River, near Dr. Donnelly's house. On the 5th of
June, 1856, Rev. A. J. Mowatt, D.D., was settled as the first pastor of
the church. Wm. McPherson was the father of the session of Sharon Church.
He opened the first Presbyterian Sunday School when there were only eight
scholars; and afterwards became the first Superintendent of the Sunday
School. Dr. Mowatt was followed by Rev. Thos. Cumming, D,D. who served the
church for ten years, 1875-1885. The Church was fortunate in having such
able and eloquent ministers at its beginning. Rev. J. H. Turnbull was
pastor another ten years, 1885-1895. Rev. Wm. M, Tufts, B.D., became the
fourth pastor in 1896, remaining twelve years. Rev. M, S. Fulton was
ordained 1909, and resigned in 1913. The present pastor is the Rev. C. C.
McIntosh, B.A., inducted 1913.
MINISTERS BORN IN
STELLARTON AND RIVERTON.
GEORGE M. GRANT, D.D.,
LL.D., Stellarton; Died 1902.
CHAS. M. GRANT, D.D.,
Stellarton; Dundee, Scotland.
Retired from the
JOHN MORTON, D.D.,
Stellarton; Died 1913.
THOS. CUMMING, D.D.
Stellarton; Stellarton, N. S.
Retired from the
ROBERT CUMMING, D.O.,
Stellarton; Trinidad, B. W. I.
Stellarton; Santa Clara, Calif.
PETER A. DUNN, B.D.,
Stellarton; Arbuthnott, Scotland.
Minister of the
Parish Church, Arbuthnott, Scotland.
WM. H. McDONALD,
Stellarton; Denver, Col.
JOSEPH S. McKAY,
Stellarton; Port Hill, P. E. I.
Mr. McKay, well
known evangelist, was ordained by presbytery of P. E. I. in 1913.
CHAS. J. CONNOLLY, Ph.D.,
Stellarton; Antigonish, N. S.
St. Francis Xavier
RICHARD GILMORE. D.D.,
He was born in
Scotland but came to N. S. with his parents when four years old,
They settled at Plymouth, opposite Ste1larton, where they lived
for several years. Afterwards they moved to Ohio, U. S. A. His
parents were Presbyterians but he entered the Roman Catholic
Church and rose to be Bishop of Cleveland, where he died some
years ago. He was the author of several religious works.
Riverton; Died 1860.
He was the son of
Thos. McKenzie and an uncle of Thos. Grant, Riverton. He went to
Upper Canada where he spent most of his ministry. He founded the
church at Goderich, Onto For several years he was an
instructor in the grammar schools at Goderich.
JOHN CAMERON, Riverton;
were among the earliest settlers in Pictou County. He had the
distinction of being Dr. McCulloch's last student, and of
ministering to him during his last illness. In 1844 he was inducted at
Nine Mile River, Gore and Kennetcook, Elmsdale, where he labored
with great energy and faithfulness for 32 years. Later he labored for
some years at Bridgewater, N. S. He then retired to Bridgetown,
N. S., where he died in the 90th year of his age, and the 63d of his
ministry. Mr. Cameron was an ardent friend of education, a
fearless champion of temperance.
ALEXANDER FALCONER, D.D.,
Riverton; Died 1913.
He became pastor
successively in Zion Church, Charlottetown; St. James' Church,
Dartmouth; Greyfriar's Church, Trinidad; and Prince St. Church, Pictou.
In 1906 he was chosen Moderator of the General Assembly. With rare
qualifications of head and heart he efficiently discharged the
responsible duties pertaining to all the important positions which he
occupied during his long and busy life. He was a ripe scholar, and a
faithful workman in the service of Christ.
Riverton; Died 1913.
He held pastorates
at Middle Stewiacke and Bass River, N. S., and at New London, P. E.
I. He gave 31 years of devoted service to the church. He was a brother
of Rev. John Cameron.
JAMES D. CAMERON,
Riverton; Lonsdale, R. I.
DAVID K. GRANT, M.A.,
Riverton; Olds, Alberta.
SAMUEL MacNAUGHTON, M.A.,
Riverton; Preston, England.
Dalhousie University, and completed his course in Edinburgh. He
settled in the Presbyterian Church at Preston, England, in
1877, where he has since remained. He is a devoted temperance
worker and the author of several books, among them, "Doctrine and
Doubt", "Our Children for Christ", "The Wines of Scripture".
THE MINISTERS AND CHURCHES
OF MIDDLE RIVER INCLUDING WESTVILLE AND GAIRLOCH
St. Phillip's Church was
built and completed Jan. 8, 1871, with Rev. Wm. M. Phillips in charge. He
was succeeded by Rev. Chas. Dunn who resigned in 1887; Rev. T. D. Stewart,
1888-1899; Rev. G. B. McLeod, 1900-1902; Rev. D. M. Gillies, 1902-1903.
Rev. W.W. McNairn, present pastor, was inducted, 1904.
The first Carmel Church
was erected in 1870, but while the dedication services were in progress,
it was burned to ashes. A new church was soon erected, and Rev. John Lees
was called to be pastor, 1873 to 1879. Rev. Robt. Cumming, D.D., was
called in 1881 and resigned in 1912, closing a most happy and successful
pastorate of 31 years. Rev. D. A. Frame is present pastor, 1913.
The first minister in
Gairloch was Rev. Hugh McLeod, 1822. The second pastor, was Rev. Donald
McIntosh, 1833-1844. The church was vacant for nine years. The next
minister was Rev. A. Maclean, 1853-1857. He was also pastor at
Saltsprings. Rev, Alex. McKay, 1859-1867. Rev. Neil Brodie was pastor for
13 years. He was followed by Rev, Thos. Irving and Rev. J. C. McLeod. In
1907, the Gairloch and Middle River sections were united with Rev. A. O.
Morash, as pastor. Rev. Geo. Christie is the present pastor, inducted in
1911. The present church was built in 1858,
MINISTERS BORN IN THIS
JOHN D. MURRAY, Middle
River; Died 1906.
He was settled at
Port Hill, P. E. I. in 1865. He held pastorates at Moncton, Buctouche
and Red Bank, N. B. He died, aged 72 years, of which he had been 41
years in the ministry.
ALEXANDER McBEAN, Middle
Secretary for the
British American and Tract Society, Halifax, for many years.
DUNCAN R. CROCKETT, Middle
For some years he
rendered good service to the church in N, B. In 1882 he went
to the U. S. locating at Greenwood, Mo. In 1891 he was called as Home
Missionary in the Indian Territory, where he labored for many years
among the Indians.
JOHN THOS. CROCKETT,
Middle River; Deceased.
Pastor of the
Adventist Church, Nashville, Tenn. and other places. Both sons of the late
John Crockett, Middle River. Their mother was a daughter of Rev.
Duncan Ross, West River.
WM. DOUGLAS, Middle River;
He was born in 1856,
studied at the Moody Institute, Chicago; for seven years engaged in
Evangelistic work; for seven years pastor in Minnesota. In 1904,
he went to the Pacific Coast. He died at Portland, Ore.
A. MURRAY PORTER, B.A.,
Theological Seminary, N. Y., 1914.
JOHN R. DOUGLAS, B. A.,
Concord; Lake Megantic, P. Q.
ALEX. ROBISON, Concord;
Educated at the
Springfield School of Workers. Settled in Nebraska, 1888, and
afterwards in Wyoming, Died in Boulder, Col.
ROBERT McDONALD, Gairloch.
Brother of Duncan
McDonald, a student for the ministry, Free Church College,
Halifax. Died of smallpox, Jan. 12, 1850.
WALTER ROSS, Millbrook;
He was settled at
Carleton Place, Ont., in 1862, where he did faithful work. This
was his only pastorate. He died in the 48th year of his age.
A. H. DENOON, B.D.,
Westville; Antigonish, N.S.
Westville; Maxville, Onto
CHAS. CUMMING, Ph. D.,
Professor in the
Theological Hall, San Fernando, Trinidad. Son of Rev. Robert
JOHN KINGON, Westville;
Park River, Minn.
J. H. HAMILTON, B.A.,
Westville; New Waterford, C. B.
JOHN P. GERRIOR, Granton;
MINISTERS AND CHURCHES IN
McLENNAN'S MOUNTAIN, BLUE MOUNTAIN, EAST RIVER ST. MARY'S AND BARNEY'S RIVER
Hugh Fraser, who came to Pictou on the Hector settled on McLennan's Brook. One son, Donald, known
as Donald Miller came with him. Another son, John, long known as John
Squire arrived a few years later. John McLennan another Hector passenger
settled at the mouth of McLennan's Brook and gave his name to that stream.
Rev. Donald A. Fraser
was the first settled minister in McLennan's Mountain, 1817 to 1837. The
second pastor was Rev. Alex. McGillivray, 1838 to 1862. Rev. Wm. Stewart
succeeded him in 1863, and was pastor for 44 years. In 1908 McLennan's
Mountain congregation and McLennan's Brook united and Rev. E. A. Kirker
had charge for two years. The present pastor Rev. Wm. Dawson, B.D., was
settled in 1910.
The first settlers at
Blue Mountain came from Glen Urquhart, Scotland in 1818. The first church
was built about 1834. The walls were built of logs, as boards had to be
sawed by hand. The second church was erected in 1856, and the present
church, in 1906. From 1834 to 1850 they had no regular pastor, but
occasional supplies. The first settled minister was Rev. D. B. Blair, from
1850 to 1890 when he resigned,
and Blue Mountain and Garden of Eden became a separate charge. Other
pastors were Rev. D. M. Henderson, Rev. E. J. Rattee, and Rev. F. L. Jobb,
Present pastor, Rev. W. H. Sweet, came in June 1909.
The first settlers of
Barney's River were from the Highlands of Scotland. William McKenzie
settled at Barney's River in 1807. He had six sons who were all land
surveyors and roadmakers. John, the eldest son had a high name as a civil
engineer. He acted as assistant to James Crearer, Pictou, in locating and
building the Albion Mines Railroad. He was a number of years in the Crown
Land office, Halifax.
Adam, second son, was
for many years supervisor of roads from Colchester County to the strait of
Canso. James was deputy surveyor for the County of Inverness. Francis
spent much time in Cape Breton making roads. Hugh, the youngest son, was
for many years a surveyor in South Africa.
Donald Bruce came to
Pictou in the ship Harmony in 1822 and settled at Upper Barney's River.
Angus McKay, Donald McKay, Donald Douglass, John McLeod and Alexander
Grant came on the same ship. Margaret, daughter of Donald Bruce married
Edward Jackson, Pine Tree. George, his second son married Christy,
daughter of Hector Murray, by whom he had Hector and other children. He
was an elder under Dr. Blair.
Donald Robertson came
from Perthshire, in 1801 and settled above Avondale in 1819. He died in
1834 aged seventy three years, leaving a large family, His wife died in
1870, aged one hundred years, one month and one day. They had forty-eight
grandchildren, of whom Rev. Hugh A. Robertson, D.D., Erromanga, is one.
Angus Murray, a native
of Sutherlandshire, married Elizabeth McKay, by whom he had William,
Andrew, and three daughters. He came to Pictou with his family in 1812. He taught school in
New Glasgow for some time. His eldest son, William married in 1821 and had
Angus. Andrew, Helen, Jane, Eliza and Mary. Eliza was married to William
Murray, at Grand Narrows, C. B. and was the mother of the present premier
of Nova Scotia. Premier Murray narrowly escaped being born a Pictonian.
In 1830 a church was
erected at Kenzieville. It stood near the Cemetery. At the same time a
church was built at Lower Barney's River, near John Copeland's place. Rev.
D. McKichan, Kirk minister, was pastor of the two churches for many years.
In 1846, Rev. D. B.
Blair, Free Church, came to Barney's River and for 40 years was minister
of the Free Church congregation. Other ministers of the Kirk were: Revs.
James Mair, James McDonald, A. J. McKichan, J. R. McDonald, J. A. Cairns,
E. Gillies, and D. K. Ross. The present pastor, Rev. Wm. MacDonald, came
The present church at
East River St. Mary's was completed in 1873, when the Kirk and the Free
Church united. The following ministers served the congregation: Revs. Hugh
McKenzie, Alex. Campbell, C. B. Pitblado, Robt. Cumming, John Ferry,
Andrew Boyd, J. D. McFarlane, A. D. Sterling, and Wm. MacDonald. Rev. J.
H. Kirk is the present pastor.
MINISTERS BORN IN THIS
WM. FRASER, D.D.,
McLennan's Brook; Died 1892.
Dr. Fraser was
born at McLcnnan's Brook, May 19, 1808. He received his
academic and theological education at Pictou Academy of
which Dr. McCulloch was then the head. At the age of twenty-six
he was sent as a missionary to Upper Canada, and a year later, was settled
at Bond Head, Ontario, his first and only pastorate. Here he labored
most faithfully for forty-six years until his retirement in 1881
when he removed to Barrie.
He was active in
educational work; an earnest advocate of temperance
and always a close attendant on church courts. In 1851 he was
appointed clerk of the U. P. Synod; at the union of 1861 to
the Joint Clerkship of the Canada Presbyterian Synod: and in
1875, to the Joint Clerkship of the General Assembly of the
Presbyterian Church in Canada. He continued in this office until
1892, in his 85th year.
Dr. Fraser was a
man of calm, judicial spirit, excellent business qualities, unvarying
industry and punctuality and always in perfect health till his latest
years. He died on Christmas day, 1892. He was thrice married. In
1834 to Jane Geddie, sister of the Rev. John Geddie, by
whom he had three children. Second, to Nancy McCurdy of Onslow,
N. S., in 1884. Three sons of this marriage were Rev. J. B. Fraser, M.
D., Annan, Ont., Rev. R. Douglas Fraser, D.D., Editor and Business
Manager, Presbyterian Publications, Toronto: and W. H. Fraser,
M.A., Professor of Spanish and Italian, University of Toronto.
Miss Jane Wells Fraser, daughter of the Rev. R. D. Fraser, D.D., is
assistant editor of the Presbyterian Publications.
Third, he married
Maria James Nicholas of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, and the children
of this marriage were: George A. H. Fraser, M.A., Barrister,
Denver, Colorado; and Miss Emma M. N. Fraser, M.A., Ph.D., Wheaton
College, Norton, Mass.
SIMON FRASER, McLennan's
Brook; Died 1912.
He was a son of
Alexander Fraser and Margaret Campbell, daughter of Alexander
Campbell, Elder, McLennan's Brook. He was a graduate of Free Church
College, Halifax. He settled in New Brunswick for some time,
but went to Texas where he spent the remainder of his ministry. He
died in the seventy-eighth year of his age.
McLennan's Brook; Died 1908.
He was born in 1855.
His first pastorate was at Noel, 1887: the second, Merigomish, 1892. He died in the 53d year of his age. His death came
most unexpectedly. Having gone to Noel to attend the funeral of a loyal
supporter of the Presbyterian Church, he was stricken while
in the pulpit, and in a short time passed away in the same
pulpit in which he began his ministry.
beautiful it is for man to die,
walls of Zion! To be called
watch-worn and weary sentinel
his armour offand restin heaven."
WM. McHARDY, McLennan's
Brook. Died while preparing
for the ministry.
JOHN F. FORBES, Blue
Mountain; Died 1905.
He was born in 1834;
received his education in Halifax and in Princeton
Seminary. He was ordained 1867, as pastor of Union Centre and Lochaber, where he labored for 19 years. In 1886 he accepted a
call to Durham, and from there, 8 years later, to St.
Andrew's Church, Sydney, C. B. In all these charges he served with
fidelity and success. He died in the 71st year of his age.
ADAM G. FORBES, Blue
He came to Pictou
when an infant; educated at the Free Church College, Halifax; his
first charge was at Buctouche, N. B. From there he went to
Ontario and some years later with a colony of his people, he
went to No. Dakota, where he died in 1894.
GEO. M, ROSS, B.A., Blue
Mountain, North Honan, China.
DAVID C. ROSS, B.A., Blue
Mountain; Lower Stewiacke, N.S.
ALEX. L. FRASER, B.D.,
Blue Mountain, Great Village, N. S.
volumes of poems. "Sonnets and other Verses". "At Life's Windows",
HUGH MILLER, M.A., Garden
of Eden; Glace Bay, C. B.
SAMUEL McINTOSH, Garden of
Student for the
REV. A. MacLEAN SINCLAIR,
LL.D., Glenbard; Hopewell, N. S,
Rev. A. Maclean
Sinclair is the highest authority in Canada On the Gaelic
language and literature, and owns one of the best Gaelic
libraries on the continent. He is also recognized in the Old Country as
an eminent Gaelic scholar and student. He is the author of "Clarsach Na
Coille", a collection of Gaelic hymns and songs, "Gaelic Bards",
from 1411 to 1825, "The Mac Bards", two vols; "The Clan
Gillean, or the History of the Macleans". This is a large and
handsome octavo volume, and is the standard work on the history of
the Clan. He is a regular contributor to the Celtic Magazine,
Edinburgh, and other periodicals. He is a grandson of John Maclean,
the well known Gaelic poet. In
1907, he was appointed lecturer in the Gaelic
Language and Literature in Dalhousie University.
JAMES McGREGOR MACKAY,
East River St. Mary's; Died 1911.
His father was Alex.
MacKay, one of the first settlers at East River St. Mary's. He
prosecuted his studies at West River Seminary, being one of Dr. Ross'
first students, In 1855 he was inducted into the charge of Parrsboro,
which at that time had ten preaching stations, and was forty miles
in length. In 1860 he was called to Economy and Five Islands where he
remained for 18 years, His next charge was at Woodstock, N. B. In 1884
he accepted a call to Shediac. After 37 years of service he
retired, in 1892, to New Glasgow, where he died in the 93d year of
his age. His physical powers were remarkable. As a preacher he
was evangelical; as a presbyter he was loyal to the Church; as a
friend his hospitality was unfailing. It is noteworthy that he
never missed a meeting of Synod; never had a month's holiday, and,
during his public ministry, there were only two Sabbaths on which he was
unable to preach.
SAMUEL C. GUNN, D.D., East
River St. Mary's; Boston, Mass.
For nearly twenty
years minister of Scotch Church, Boston. Retired from the
WM. GUNN, East River St.
Mary's; Died 1900.
Mr. Gunn was
educated at Colgate University, N, Y., and was a pastor of the Baptist
denomination. His first charge was at Springfield, N. Y. In 1878 he was
appointed Chaplain of the Prison, Fort Madison, Iowa. For 20 years he
served in this capacity, and accomplished a great work in the reformation
of the inmates of the prison.
ADAM GUNN, East River St.
Mary's; Died 1903.
Mr. Gunn was pastor
for 16 years at Gore and Kennetcook, N. S., and at Cardigan, P. E.
I., 10 years. In 1902 he went to the Northwest, but in
the following year he died.
A. D. GUNN, East River St.
Mary's; Died 1898.
In 1883 he was
called to Upper Stewiacke, where he labored for four and a half
years, until failing health compelled him to resign. He was a brother
of Rev. S. C. Gunn of Boston.
DUNCAN CAMERON, East River
St. Mary's; Pittsburg, Pa.
Rev. A. G. Cameron,
B. Sc., Sylvania, Pa. and Rev. A. H. Cameron, M.A., Detroit,
Mich., are cousins of Rev. Duncan Cameron.
WM. A. MASON, B.A., East
River St. Mary's; Wetaskiwin, Alta,
JOHN S. CLARK, East River
St. Mary's; Minneapolis, Minn.
Prof. of Latin,
University of Minneapolis.
HUGH A. ROBERTSON, D.D.,
Barney's River; Erromanga, New Hebrides.
the Martyr Isle".
A. J. McKICHAN, Barney's
River; Winnipeg, Man.
Retired from the
A. D. SUTHERLAND, Barney's
River; Fort Sill, Okla.
Artillery, United States Army.
L. A. MacLEAN, B.A.,
Barney's River; Danville, Quebec.
WM. CRAIGIE, Barney's
River; Died 1890.
ALEX. J. McLEOD, Barney's
River; Denmark, N, S.
WM. GORDON, Barney's
Pastor of the
Methodist Church. He labored in California, where he died in
MINISTERS AND CHURCHES IN
MERIGOMISH, SUTHERLAND'S RIVER, THORBURN, LITTLE HARBOR AND BAILEY'S BROOK
The present church at
Merigomish was built in 1869. The French River Church, in 1861 or 1862.
The two churches maintained a separate existence from 1860 to about 1895,
when they were united into one charge. The ministers in order of induction
were: Revs. Wm. Patrick, A. P. Miller, K. J. Grant, H. McD. Scott, Daniel
McGregor, C. S. Lord, Wm. R. Muir, Alex. Campbell, and A. S. Weir. The
present pastor is A. F. Fisher, B. D., April 13, 1911.
Rev. Mr. Cock of Truro
preached the first sermon in Merigomish at Morrison's house, about 1784.
The first elders were Walter Murray, John Small, and George Roy.
The first settlers at
Sutherland's River were from the Highlands of Scotland. The River was
named after Sutherland, whose son, John, was the first child baptized
belonging to Sutherland's River. Feb. 3, 1854 a site was bought for a
church and the people proceeded to build. The congregation was made up of
members from the three branches of the Presbyterian Church: the Kirk, the
Free Church and the Presbyterian Church of N. S., united. This was the
first union Presbyterian Church in the Province.
The Congregation of
Thorburn was organized in 1875, and the two made one charge. Rev. W. T.
Bruce, M.D. was called in 1876, and resigned in Jan. 1881. Rev. Isaac
Murray, D.D. was inducted pastor in 1882; Rev. A. W. McLeod 1885; Rev.
James A. Mackenzie 1899. His successor was Rev. John Harris, 1912. James
W. McLean has been clerk of the Session for 28 years, and choir leader for
over 40 years.
The Little Harbor
Congregation was organized in 1864, and Rev. J. A. F. Sutherland was the
first pastor. He was followed by Rev. Wm. Maxwell in 1868, who also had
charge of Fisher's Grant. During his ministry the church was built. He
resigned in 1880, and the pastors who succeeded him were: Revs. Robert
Laird, McLeod Harvey, John B. Maclean, John W. Penman, R. J. Douglass, A.
D. Mcintosh and A. J. McDonald (1910) the present pastor.
MINISTERS BORN AND BRED IN
JOHN CAMPBELL, Merigomish;
For some years he
was pastor of St. Andrew's Church, Halifax, and for 18 years
minister of Buccleuch parish Church, Edinburgh,
Scotland, where he died.
ISAAC S. SIMPSON,
Merigomish; Chicago, Ill.
WM. H. SMITH, B.D., Ph.D.,
Merigomish; Fredericton, N. B.
Pastor, St. Paul's
EDWIN SMITH, M.A.,
Merigomish; McLeod, Alta.
A. A. SMITH, B. A.,
Merigomish; Verschoyle, Onto.
F. W. THOMPSON, B.A.,
Merigomish; St. John, N. B.
LAWRENCE B. CAMPBELL,
Theol. Student. Son
of late Rev. Alexander Campbell.
W. B. MacDONALD,
Merigomish; Lourdes, N. S.
Pastor of the Roman
JOHN CHISHOLM, B.A.,
Sutherland's River; Montreal, Can.
ALEX. W. McKAY,
Sutherland's River; Deceased.
Pastor for some time
at Streetsville, Onto.
JAMES M. SUTHERLAND,
Sutherland's River: E. Pepperell, Mass.
JOHN LAMONT, Sutherland's
Graduated but never
had a charge. For many years he was a successful
colporteur for the National Bible Society, in the Maritime
JOHN A. MacGLASHEN. B.D .
French River; Bridgeport, C. B.
A. W. POLLOCK, B.A.,
French River; Deceased.
Student in Theology.
Drowned at French River.
JAMES A. McLEAN, B.A.,
Thorburn; Mahone Bay, N. S.
JOHN J. MacDONALD,
Thorburn;. Brooklyn, N. Y.
WM. MacPHERSON, Thorburn;
Waterville, N. S.
A. S. WEIR, Thorburn; Swan
J. F. McKAY, Thorburn;
Clyde River, N. S.
WILLIAM FORBES, B.A.,
Little Harbor; Tatamagouche, N.S.
G. ERNEST FORBES, B.A.,
Little Harbor; New Glasgow, N. S.
JOHN G. GOLQUHOON, B.A.,
Little Harbor; Millerton, N. B:
EDWIN H. BURGESS, Little
Harbor; Sydney, C. B.
Commonwealth". Author "At the Place which is called Calvary", a volume of
sermons, and "For Canada and the Old Flag".
THOMAS F. McGREGOR, Chance
Harbor; Hawarden, Sask.
THE FOLLOWING ARE
CLERGYMEN OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
DONALD MacKINNON, Ardness;
Died at Grand Narrows, C. B.
DUGAL MacKINNON, Ardness;
Died at Dundas, Onto
J. J. MacKINNON, Ardness;
Bailey's Brook, N. S.
C. F. MacKINNON, Bailey's
Brook; Sydney Mines, C. B.
M. W. MacKINNON, D.C.L.,
Lismore; Vancouver, B. C.
DONALD M. MacGREGOR, D.D.,
Lismore; Judique, C. B.
RONALD MacDONALD, Lismore;
Pictou, N. S.
MINISTERS AND CHURCHES IN
WEST RIVER AND GREEN HILL
The West River is one of
the oldest congregations in the County. Rev. Duncan Ross took the pastoral
oversight of the congregation in 1795 and continued to be pastor for 39
years. He was succeeded by his son, Rev. James Ross, D. D., who was
inducted in 1835, and resigned in 1852.
James Watson followed
him and remained for 5 years. In 1858 the congregation was divided into
two separate charges. The one known as Central Church called Rev. James
Thomson and the other congregation, Rev. George Roddick. At the close of
20 years' service, both resigned, when a reunion was effected, in 1879,
and Rev. A. W. McLeod settled as pastor. In 1886 Rev. J. F. Forbes was
inducted and Green Hill was united with West River. Rev. J. R. Coffin was
called in 1895 and Rev. C. J. Crowdis in 1907. The present pastor is Rev.
A. H. Foster, inducted
in 1913. The West River
congregation has always been a centre of educational and missionary
The church at Green Hill
was built in 1848. Rev. George Patterson, D.D., was the first minister,
inducted 1849, resigned 1876. Rev. William Stuart was pastor 1877 to 1884.
The other pastors were: Revs. Forbes, Coffin, Crowdis and Foster.
NAMES OF MINISTERS BORN IN
THIS DISTRICT, WITH PLACE OF BIRTH AND
ADDRESSES OF THOSE STILL LIVING
JAMES ROSS, D.D., West
River; Died 1886.
EBENEZER ROSS, West River;
Mr. Ross was
inducted at Folly Village, 1849, and remained in this, his only
charge until 1877, a ministry of 28 years. He then resigned on account
of ill health, and removed to Truro, where he resided until his
death. He was possessed of rare vigor and much learning.
DUNCAN McDONALD, West
He was a member of
the first class of theological students under Dr. McCulloch.
JOHN McDONALD, West River;
Student for the
JOHN J. RICHARDS, West
River; Died 1889.
Mr. Richard's whole
ministry was spent in Brockville Presbytery, Ontario, where he was
held ill high esteem as a faithful pastor and preacher.
JAMES D. MURRAY, West
River; Died 1914.
ANGUS McKENZIE, West
River; Died 1911.
He went to Kansas in
1872, and to the Pacific Coast in 1874 where nearly all his
ministry was spent. He married Anna McPherson, Nova Scotia, in 1888. He
was a faithful minister and did good work ill the organization of
JOHN D. McLEAN, West
Missionary to Japan.
D. STILES FRASER, B.A.,
Durham; Elderbank, N. S.
His son, E. J. O.
Fraser, B.A., was appointed Missionary to Korea in 1914.
JOHN M. MacLEOD, West
Mr. Macleod was one
of the first who received his education at the West River
Seminary. In 1853 he began his ministry at Richmond Bay, P. E. I., where
he spent 6 years. His next pastorage was at
Newport, N. S. From there he went to Knox Church, New Glasgow, N. S. In
1871 he was called to Zion Church, Charlottetown, where for 18
years he labored with zeal and success. He left the island in 1889
and went to Vancouver, to minister to a new congregation. Mr.
Macleod was a vigorous preacher and a faithful pastor,
and his memory is cherished in all his congregations. He was
the author of "The History of Presbyterianism in Prince Edward
WILLIAM McC. THOMSON,
M.A., Durham; Port of Spain, Trinidad.
A. W. THOMSON, M.A.,
Durham; Pictou, N. S.
Sons of the late
Rev. James Thomson.
D. McDONALD CLARK, B.A.,
Durham; Middle Stewiacke, N. S.
DAVID CLARK, Durham; Died
He was a son of the
late David Clark, elder, and had the ministry in view.
HENRY MacDONALD, Durham;
He died at Paterson,
N. J., in 1899, just after being ordained.
D. G. COCK, M.A., West
River; Mhow, Central India.
FOREST L. FRASER, Durham;
Penn Yan, N. Y.
JOHN McLEAN, M.A., Green
Hill; Died 1837.
ALEX. BLAIKIE. D.D., Green
Hill; Died 1885.
Born 1804, educated
at Pictou Academy and Halifax, a Missionary in the Western States,
1831-1835. In 1836 he became pastor at York, N. Y. and continued for
nine years. In 1846 he came to Boston and established a
congregation in connection with the United Presbyterian
Church, and continued pastor of it until he retired in 1880. His work
in Boston was marked by
great labor and patience. He was the author of "Philosophy of
Sectarianism", and "History of Presbyterianism in New England", and other
works. William Blaikie, author, lawyer, athlete, was his son.
JOHN W. McKENZlE. D.D.,
Green Hill; Australia.
Retired from Missionary
JAMES A. MacKENZIE, B.A.,
Green Hill; Elmsdale, N. S.
EDWARD GRANT, Green Hill;
Died 1894 .
In 1869 he was
inducted at Kempt and Walton, and in 1872 was called to Upper Stewiacke to succeed the late Rev. Prof. Smith, D.O., and from that, in
1891, to Middle Musquodoboit, to succeed the late Rev. Dr.
Sedgwick. Mr. Grant was 52 rears of age, and for nearly 25 years he was
a most faithful minister in the Church.
D. W. CAMERON, Green Hill;
For many years Mr.
Cameron was the pastor of Presbyterian Churches in
Canada and the United States, but in later years entered the
Church of England at Yonkers, N. Y., where he died.
JOHN G. CAMERON, Green
Hill; Died 1897.
He was educated at
Princeton Seminary, and ordained at the early age of
twenty-one. The whole of his ministry was spent in Prince Edward Island,
where he was greatly beloved as a man and a minister. His charges
were in Bonshaw, Souris and Murray Harbor.
GEORGE GORDON MAHY, D.D.,
Green Hill; Philadelphia, Pa.
Secretary of the
General Assembly's Committee on Evangelism, Presbyterian Church in U.
THOMAS McLEAN, Green Hill;
himself for missionary work when he died.
NORMAN G. REID, Green
Hill; Halifax, N. S.
MINISTERS AND CHURCHES OF
SCOTSBURN, INCLUDING ROGERS HILL AND PLAINFIELD
St. John's Church (Kirk)
was built in 1838. It was the first church in the place and is still
standing. Rev. R. Macaulay and Rev. D. McConnachie were the first
ministers. Rev. John Sinclair was pastor for five years. In 1860 Rev. John
Goodwill was inducted and resigned in 1871 to go as missionary to New
Hebrides. The last minister of the Kirk church was the Rev. J. W. Fraser
who spent his whole ministry at Scotsburn.
The Free Church was
formed, after the disruption, in 1844, and in 1862 Bethel Church was
built. Rev. Alex. Sutherland was the first minister. The other pastors in
order of induction were: Revs. Alex. Stirling, 1871; J. A. Cairns, 1887;
Thos. Cumming, D.D., 1898; W. A. Ross, 1908. Upon Mr. Fraser's retirement
in 1907, St. John's Church and Bethel were united. Rev. A. D. Stirling is
the present pastor, inducted 1910.
MINISTERS BORN IN THIS
JOHN MURRAY, Scotsburn,
Stanley Bridge, P. E. I.
Retired from the
JAMES MURRAY, B.D., D.D.,
Scotsburn; Toronto, Onto Pastor, Erskine Church.
ROBERT C. MURRAY,
Scotsburn; Died in India, 1888.
GEORGE MURRAY, Scotsburn;
Nicola, B. C.
Retired from the
HUGH McLEOD, Scotsburn.
graduated, Amherst College 1851, studied, Bangor Theological
Seminary. Settled in Springfield, Ohio, as pastor of the
Congregational Church. In 1857 went to New Hampshire, where he
spent the most of his ministerial life. During the Civil War he served
honorably as Chaplain in the Army. He died at Cambridge, Mass., Feb.
DANIEL lV. McLEOD,
Scotsburn; Hollywood, Calif. Relinquished his
studies for the ministry on account of ill health. Prominent elder on
the Pacific Coast for many years.
ISAAC MURRAY, D.D.,
Scotsburn; Died 1906.
He received his
theological training in West River Seminary, and Princeton Seminary, N.
J. In 1849 he was inducted pastor of the congregation of
Cavendish and New London, P. E. I. successor to Dr. Geddie. Here he
labored for 27 years, wielding a large influence not only as a
minister, but as an educationist and writer. In 1877 he was called to Thorburn and Sutherland's River. Here he remained for seven
years, when he was settled in North Sydney, where he remained
until his retirement in 1896. Dr. Murray was a man of fine
attainments, and one of the most faithful in his attendance upon Church courts.
J. ALLISTER MURRAY,
Scotsburn; Died 1894.
In 1857 he was
settled at Annapolis, N. S. Three years later he
accepted a call to Bathurst, N. B. He afterwards removed to Ontario
where he labored during the remainder of his life. His chief
work was at London, Ont., where he ministered for about twenty
years. Mr. Murray was a very effective and forcible preacher. He was
a brother of the Rev. Isaac Murray.
A. D. STIRLING, B.A.,
Scotsburn; Scotsburn, N. S.
JOHN STIRLING, B.A.,
Scotsburn; Cavendish, P. E. I.
Sons of the late
Rev. Alexander Stirling.
JOHN STEWART, Scotsburn;
Student for the
ministry. He entered Dal. Univ., 1874 and won a scholarship. During
his second year in college he died, aged twenty-three. He was a
young man of fine ability.
HUGH McINTOSH, Scotsbum;
ALEX. McKENZIE, Scotsburn;
Mr. McIntosh and Mr.
McKenzie were both students for the ministry and promising
E. D. MILLER, D.D., Rogers
Hill. Died 1909.
Rev. Mr. Miller was
a grandson of Rev. Duncan Ross. After a successful
course of study he was ordained, on Oct. 28, 1872, in Shelburne.
After he left Shelburne he labored with great zeal and energy
in Lunenburg and Yarmouth, and was eminently successful in both places.
After 16 years of work in Yarmouth he was called to Chalmer's
Church, Halifax. He settled there in
1907. He was an instructive preacher, a sympathetic pastor,
and deeply interested in all the enterprises of the Church. His
ministry spanned thirty-six very busy years.
DUNCAN MILLER, Rogers
JAMES MILLER, Rogers Hill;
Brothers of the Rev.
E. D. Miller, and died while preparing for the ministry.
JOHN W. MATHESON, Rogers
Hill; Died in New Hebrides, 1862.
ANDERSON ROGERS, D.O.,
Rogers Hill; Halifax, N. S.
Dr. Rogers enjoys
the honor of having formed the first Christian Endeavor Society in N.
S., at Yarmouth, in 1885.
JAMES FITZPATRICK, B.A.,
Rogers Hill; New Annan, N.S.
JOHN R. FITZPATRICK,
Rogers Hill; Died 1893.
Dalhousie and Presbyterian College, Halifax. Settled at Carleton,
N. B., but resigned on account of ill health. He was brother of the Rev.
RODERICK McKAY, B.D.,
Rogers Hill; Kingston, Onto
JOHN A. FRASER, Rogers
Hill; Oakland, Calif.
ROBERT MURRAY, Rogers
Hill; O'Leary, P. E. I.
WILLIAM B. MacCALLUM,
Rogers Hill; New Richmond, Quebec.
RODERICK C. JACKSON,
Rogers Hill; Farmington. New Mexico.
Plainfield; Died 1897.
He was born in Lairg, Scotland, 1816. While a child his parents came to Nova
Scotia. He was sent to Edinburgh to complete his education, and at
the age of 28, he entered upon the ministry. His first charge in Pictou Presbytery, was 40 miles in extent. In seven years four
congregations were organized and five new churches. In 1852 he removed
to Prince Edward Island, where he labored for seven years and organized
four congregations with two new churches. A call was sent to him
three times from his former field, the third time urging him to return
on the ground that four congregations that hesitated would enter
the union of 1860 if he should return, which he did, and these
without a dissenting
voice. During the next few years he occupied Earltown, West Branch,
Scotsbum and Saltsprings, gathering the fruits of seed sown during
previous years. In 1874 he went to Canada where he labored until
Aug., 1897. His ministerial jubilee was celebrated at
Ripley, Ontario, 1896. Seventeen ministers were
present and over one thousand people. He was always punctual in
fulfilling appointments. Many times did he break the road
before his horse through deep snows, while his coat was frozen about
him. A large number of the ministers of our church received their
first impulses and ideal under his ministry.
His whole ministry
was spent in Ontario, where he died.
ALFRED FITZPATRICK, B.A.,
Plainfield; Toronto, Onto
Superintendent of Educational Work among the lumber camps of
LUTHER L. YOUNG, B.A.,
Millsville; Ham Heung, Korea.
MINISTERS AND CHURCHES IN
THE SALTSPRlNGS DISTRICT
The first minister of
St. Luke's Church, Saltsprings, was the Rev. Donald McIntosh. He
was followed by the Rev. Hugh McLeod, from 1833 to 1844. For seven years
the church was vacant. The other ministers in order of induction were:
Revs. A. Maclean, D.D., 1851-1857; Alexander McKay, 1859-1867; William
McMillan 1868. 1876; James Fitzpatrick 1879-1891; Alexander Roulston
1892-1898; A. H. Denoon 1899-1908; Wm. F. Burns 1909-1913.
In 1845, twenty families
went out from St. Luke's Church and were organized into a Free Church of
Scotland. The following year they began the erection of Ebenezer Church.
In 1859 Rev. Alex. Sutherland became minister of the united congregations
of Bethel Church, Scotsbum and Ebenezer Church. He was followed by the
Rev. Alex. Stirling, 1871, Rev. J. A. Cairns 1887, Rev. Thos. Cumming, 1889. In
1908 St. Luke's and Ebenezer churches were formerly united. The present
pastor is Rev. A. T. Macdonald.
From 1845 to 1896 West
Branch River John was part of the Earltown congregation. In 1896 it was
united to St. George's Church, River John. It became a separate charge in
1910 under the Rev. Thomas Johnstone who remained two years. The Rev. C.
J. MacInnes, B.A., present pastor was inducted March 3, 1913.
MINISTERS BORN AND BROUGHT
UP IN THIS DISTRICT
HUGH J. FRASER, B.D.,
Saltsprings; Summerside, P. E. I.
NORMAN T. McKAY,
Saltsprings; Ready, Onto
J. FRANK McLEOD,
Saltsprings; Harbor Creek, Pa.
ALEX. RETTIE, M.A.,
Saltsprings; Millerton, N. B.
He received his
early education in Pictou Academy, and took his theological course in
Queen's University, Kingston. His first charge was Brockville,
Ont., where he ministered for 14 years, after which he settled at
London, Ont., where he remained 8 years. He was then called to
Lunenburg, N. S., and remained 13 years in this charge, when
his health broke down, and he went to British Columbia. He was
forty years in the ministry. Mr. McGillivray was a man of genial
disposition and his memory is cherished in all the congregations where
ANDREW GRAY, Brookland;
Murray Harbor West, P. E. I.
ARCHIBALD GUNN, Six Mile
Studied at Dalhousie
University and graduated from the Presbyterian College, Halifax, in
1878. His first charge was at Little Bay, Nfd. From there he was
called to Windsor, N. S. He was for seven years minister at 51.
Andrew's, N. B. and another seven years at Bloomfield, P. E. I. Failing health compelled him to retire from the ministry. He removed
to Westville where he made his home for eight years. He died on
the evening of Easter, 1912.
GEORGE GORDON MATHESON,
Six Mile Brook; Died 1897.
He attended Pictou
Academy in 1887 and studied at Springfield School for Christian
Workers. He was ordained to the ministry at Fergus Falls, Minn., 1893. For
several years he was Sunday School Missionary in the Red River
Presbytery Minn., holding evangelistic services, founding and aiding
churches and Sunday Schools. He was an earnest Christian worker.
ARTHUR ROSS, M. A., Black
River; Dawson, Y. T.
JOHN S. REISS, Black
River; Vancouver, B. C.
JOHN LIVINGSTON, West
River Station; Deceased.
He was pastor of
Dundee, Ont., for nine months, when he died. The congregation
erected a monument to his memory with the inscription, "In
memory of John Livingston, born at West River Station, Apr.
6, 1821, died in Dundee, Aug. 15, 1860, aged 29 years. He was
ordained to the pastoral charge in Dundee Nov. 30, 1859. He was a
burning and a shining light."
W. A. MacKAY, B.D., West
Branch River John; Blackwater, Ont.
Pictou County on the Colchester side has produced a splendid lot of men in
almost every profession and line of calling. Among the clergymen are: Neil
McKay, Adam McKay, Robt. Murray, editor of Presbyterian Witness, William
Murray, Alexander Ross, Donald Sutherland, A. L. McKay, Angus McDonald,
John D. McKay, missionary to South America, James Ross, Geo. A.
Sutherland, J. H. Stewart, D. W. McDonald, R. J. Douglass and Melville
MINISTERS IN THE SCOTCH
HILL, HARDWOOD HILL AND CARIBOO DISTRICT
Some of the families
belonging to Scotch Hill and Hardwood Hill, attended the Scotsburn Church.
Others worshipped in Pictou. Cape John was formerly connected with St.
George's Church, River John. In 1908, Cape John and Cariboo was organized
into a separate charge. Rev. G. R. McKean was the only settled minister.
MINISTERS BORN IN THIS
JOHN McMILLAN, D.D.,
Scotch Hill; Halifax, N. S.
GEORGE McMILLAN, Scotch
Hill; Died 1913.
For 16 years he was
the faithful minister at Kentville, N. S. Previous to this he
ministered to congregations at Malpeque, P. E. I., and Harbor Grace, Nfd.
He was a brother of the Rev. John McMilIan, Halifax, and a
scholarly and impressive preacher.
A. N. McQUARRIE, B.A.,
Scotch Hill; Died 1909.
graduated from Queen's University in 1865, and went to Quebec,
when for a number of years he was a successful
professor in Morrin College. From there he went to Washington, D.
C., where he taught for several years. For fifteen years he was a
minister in Manitoba. He died at Winnipeg Dec. I, 1909, aged 70
years. He was a diligent student, an acceptable preacher, and was
held in high esteem by those to whom he ministered.
JOHN CAMPBELL, Scotch
Hill; Died 1873.
Born at Scotch Hill,
December, 1809. Studied at Pictou Academy, and Theology under
Dr. McCulloch, licensed by the Presbytery of Pictou, April, 1837.
Ordained at St. Mary's, 1st November, 1837. Died September 4,
1873. Endowed by nature with strong mental gifts, great powers of
physical endurance, animated with the spirit of his Master, he
gave himself to his work with energy and zeal, undergoing the most
arduous labors, in discharging his duties as a minister over a
widely scattered field.
KENNETH J. GRANT, D.D.,
Scotch Hill; Vancouver, B. C.
WM. L. CAMPBELL, Scotch
Hill; Yarmouth, N. S.
ALEXANDER HAMILTON, Scotch
Hill; Old Orchard, Me.
KENNETH McKAY, Hardwood
Hill; Died March 28, 1914.
In 1872 he was
ordained at Richmond, N. B., where he remained 16 years. In 1888,
he became pastor of a mission Church at Houlton, Me., thus organizing
the first Presbyterian Church in the state. He resigned in 1910. Mr. McKay
was an able and earnest preacher and one of the most genial and lovable of men. He married
Miss Margaret Grant, a sister of Rev. Dr. K. J. Grant. He is survived by
his widow and seven children.
ALEXANDER McKAY, Hardwood
Mr. McKay was the
first Nova Scotian who studied for the Church of Scotland, and
returned to labor among his countrymen. In 1852 he commenced his
ministry in his native parish, Rogers Hill, and at the end of 2
years went to Belfast, P. E. I. From 1859 to 1867, he labored
with great success at Gairloch and Saltsprings, N. S. In 1868 he
removed to Ontario. He died in the 63d year of his age, and the 35th
of his ministry. He was a devoted minister of the Gospel.
D. O. MacKAY, B.A.,
Hardwood Hill; Kingsville. Ohio.
HECTOR MCQUARRIE, Hardwood
Settled at Wingham,
HECTOR B. McKAY, Cariboo;
Mr. McKay was for
some time a teacher in the Free Church Academy, Halifax. In 1855, he
was ordained at Chipman, where he spent the first 7 years of
his ministry. In 1861 he was called to Salem Church, River John,
where he labored with great success. This pastorate lasted 24
years. In 1885 he went to Wallace where followed 11 years of great
usefulness. He retired from the ministry in 1897, and lived thereafter
in Halifax, where he died, at the venerable age of 87 years.
KENNETH McKENZIE, Cariboo;
For a year he was in
charge of Baddeck, C. B., before his call and ordination there
in 1857. This was his first and only charge. For 35 years he labored here,
until his resignation and retirement, in 1891. For 5 years during
his ministry he inspected all the schools of Victoria
GEORGE RODDICK, Cariboo;
In 1858 Mr. Roddick
was inducted into the congregation of West River, Pictou, where he was
a faithful pastor for 21 years. Then catching the first
strain of the call to the west he removed with his family, and a
portion of his congregation, to Brandon Hills, Manitoba. There he
engaged in fanning and preached as opportunity offered. After an
absence of 25 years he returned to his native County and settled in the
town of Pictou.
DANIEL McKAY, Cariboo;
Addison, N. Y.
MURDOCH, S. MacKAY, B. A.,
Cariboo; Waweig, N. B.
Cariboo; Vancouver, B. C.
Cariboo; Trenton, N. S.
Presbyterian College, Halifax, 1914.
MINISTERS AND CHURCHES OF
The early settlers of
River John were of Swiss origin. Having undergone untold persecution in
their native land, some of them left their native country and came to
Halifax, N. S. From thence they proceeded to Lunenburg, where they endured
the hardships of the first settlers. In 1772 twelve or thirteen families
came to Tatamagouche and formed the first settlers of that place. In 1785
four families: George Patriquin, James Gratto, John Patriquin and George
Langill, removed to River John, where they could obtain crown land. They
became the first settlers there and had a noble ancestry. The first
preaching received by River John's early settlers was by Dr. McGregor.
Between Pictou and River John, at this time, there was an unbroken forest.
Not a single dweller was to be found along the shore between these two
places. The first settled minister was Rev. John Mitchell, who began his
labors in 1808, and gave 35 years of service to this congregation. The
Rev. James Waddell, was settled over the people in 1844. He resigned in
1858. Mr. Waddell was succeeded by the Rev. H. B. McKay in 1861, who
ministered to this people for 24 years. In 1887 the Rev. G. L. Gordon was
inducted, and was minister for 21 years. The present pastor is Rev. C. D.
McIntosh, settled there Dec. 9, 1909.
existed for many years in River John, Salem and St. George's
congregations. The latter belonged to the Kirk body and was organized by
the Rev. Geo. M. Grant. Its first pastor was the Rev. Robt. McCunn, who
was settled in 1863, and spent a long and faithful ministry there. Then
followed the Rev. J. A. Crawford from 1898 to 1906. In 1896
the Rev. R. J. Grant was ordained. His ministry was a short one, and
terminated in his tragic death at Montreal, in 1898. On the 4th of January
1911, the two charges in River John were happily united.
MINISTERS BORN AND BROUGHT
UP IN THIS DISTRICT
DAVID W. JOHNSON, D.D.,
River John; Truro, N. S.
Editor of the
Wesleyan, organ of the Methodist denomination.
JOHN G. BIGNEY, River
John; Hantsport, N. S.
WM. H. LANGILLE, River
John; Glace Bay, C. B.
ROBERT F. ALLEN, B.A.,
River John; Annapolis Royal, N. S.
CHARLES W. ALLEN, River
John; Hamilton, N. Y.
JAMES A. FORBES, River
John; Earltown, N. S.
PAUL F. LANGILLE, B.A.,
River John; Fingal, Onto.
GILBERT W. LANGILLE, B.A.,
River John; Edgerton, Alta.
GEORGE P. TATTRIE, B.D.,
River John; Tabusintac, N.B.
JOHNSON A. HENDERSON,
B.A., Toney River; Chicago, Ill.
CHARLES ROSS, Toney River;
MALCOLM McKAY, River John;
A. A. McKAY, B.A., River
Presbyterian College, Halifax.
LINTON DWYER, River John;
Pawtucket, R. I.
PETER MELYILLE, B.D., Cape
John; Died 1912.
Mr. Melyille was
pastor in New Brunswick and at Hopewell, N. S. for many years,
where he left a record of efficient work. His scholastic
attainments were of a high order. For eight years he studied in the
University of Glasgow, and won valuable prizes in sharp
competition with many others. He spent the closing years of his
ministerial life in a parish in the North of Scotland. He died in
Edinburgh in 1912.
This comment system requires
you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an
account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or
Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these
companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All
comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator
has approved your comment.