PICTOU Academy will be one hundred years old, March 26, 1916. It is one of
the best known and probably, the most famous academy of learning in
Canada. Over it was fought the battle of the nineteenth century against
unconstitutional government and religious intolerance. It was largely over
the rights and wrongs of the Academy, more than any other question, that
the fight was waged and won for responsible government in Nova Scotia. It
was a great educator in our provincial politics. Under it and through this
great conflict our ablest statesmen were educated. The life of the
Presbyterian Church hung upon it, for if it was to be perpetuated and
extended, it must have a school to educate and train a native ministry.
From the walls of the Academy has gone forth a constant stream of strong
men and women into all parts of the world, who have graced almost every
profession and walk in life. Its founders of rugged Presbyterian stock,
esteemed education of next importance to the Bible, and quickly planted a
school, on the lines of Edinburgh University, in their eyes, the ideal of
what a college should be. It was to attract students from every clime and
send them forth to every land.
The history of the Academy divides itself conveniently into five periods:–
The College Period, 1816 to 1831
The Grammar School Period, 1832 to 1844
The Union Academy Period, 1845 to 1864
The Special Academy Period, 1864 to 1884
The County Academy Period, 1885–
THE COLLEGE PERIOD
The institution had its
origin in the brain of its founder and first President, the Rev. Thomas
McCulloch, D. D., – Nova Scotia's greatest pioneer educationist, and the
father of higher education in the Atlantic Provinces.
Born in Scotland in
1766, educated at Glasgow University, where he took a course in Medicine,
as well as in Arts, studied theology at Whitburn, ordained as minister in
Ayrshire, offered his services as Missionary to the Colonies, arrived in
Pictou, N. S., 1803, and inducted in charge of Prince St. Church June 6,
1804–these are the main facts in his life. But it is as the champion of
liberal and religious education in Nova Scotia that his fame chiefly
rests. In the old Academy he laid deep and strong, in a life of great
courage and unremitting toil, the foundation of higher education in Nova
Scotia. The country is still reaping the fruits of his intellectual
activity and zealous labors.
Dr. McCulloch was a man
of a rare type. He was possessed of fine natural ability, a strong
personality, a mind finely disciplined and of extensive literary
attainments as his writings show.
He wielded the pen with
ease and felicity, and when needs be, with pungency. He was a born
fighter. He lived in a stormy time, and to accomplish his purposes for
church and school, he needed to be to some extent a man of war. But amid
prejudice and opposition his fearless courage and self-sacrifice shone
forth in the higher interests of the people and country. In 1805, two
years after his arrival in Pictou, we find him projecting an institution
to give promising young men a collegiate education. One day when musing
sadly over the ignorance he found among the young, he said to himself,
"Why not attempt to train the youth of the Province for better things, and
perhaps for the Ministry." It was a difficult task, on account of
the condition of the
country and small means at hand, and it required the faith and force of a
Livingstone or a Lincoln to attempt it. Though unable to carry out the
idea for a time, he never relinquished it, and in due time, it resulted in
the establishment of Pictou Academy.
His idea was to
establish a college for higher education open to all classes and creeds
alike. For this purpose a society was formed in Pictou and subscriptions
collected amounting to a thousand pounds–Dr. McCulloch Dr. McGregor and
Mr. Ross each giving fifty pounds. He opened a school in a log building
near his own house, but it was soon destroyed by the hand of an
incendiary. Another was soon erected in its place.
In 1811–on the passing
of the "Grammar School Act"-Dr. McCulloch received the grant allotted to
the Pictou district amounting to a hundred pounds a year. This School
attracted students from all over the Province–some coming as far as the
West Indies. Dr. Patterson tells us that Messrs. McGregor and Ross tutored
boys in Latin and Greek with the idea of matriculating in the contemplated
College. Thus the leavening power of Dr. McCulloch's ambitious ideals were
producing fruit, and preparing the people throughout the province for the
carrying out of his early formed and favorite plans. The time seemed now
favorable. Edward Mortimer represented the District of Pictou in the
legislature, and Sherbrooke was Governor–a man more liberal-minded than
Wentworth, who occupied the position in 1805. An Act of Incorporation was
sought and obtained March 26, 1816.
In the autumn of 1817.
the first class comprising 23 students met in a private house, with Dr.
McCulloch as Principal. Rev. John McKinlay assisted in teaching classics
and mathematics, the rest of the Academic work was done by the Principal.
It was not until 1818 that the Academy building was ready to be occupied.
The Trustees finding that the thousand pounds subscribed was not enough to
build the Academy, petitioned Governor Dalhousie for a grant. This was at
first refused, but afterwards he granted the sum of five hundred pounds.
Pictou Academy has had a
very eventful and chequered career. It had to fight its way to recognition
and aid. Early in its history it had to contend with opposition and
prejudice; notably, the opposition of the "Council of Twelve," and the
unfriendly rivalry of King's College, Windsor, founded in 1790. This
college was receiving a grant of nearly $2.000 a year from the provincial
treasury and $5,000 a year from the British Government. But its doors were
barred to all but Episcopalians. Dissenters, as all other Protestants were
called and who formed four-fifths of the population of the Province, were
destitute of all means for an advanced education. Naturally, the trustees
of the Academy applied to the Council for aid. They were refused, for the
"Council of Twelve" appointed by the Imperial Government were composed
entirely of adherents of the Church of England, with the Bishop as one of
its most influential members. They considered money spent on the education
of Dissenters as worse than wasted. They could not tolerate the Pictou
idea of a nonsectarian College. The House of Assembly, elected by the
people, and representing their wishes, was always in hearty sympathy with
the Academy, while the Council were deadly opposed-hence the long and
In 1819 an application
was made to Lord Dalhousie to have Pictou Academy changed into a college,
with power to confer degrees, and also asking for the establishment of a
professorship of Divinity. These requests were both flatly refused. For
the next four years the council granted about $800 a year on application
by the trustees. In 1824, application was made for a permanent grant of
$2,000 a year, which was passed by the assembly but rejected by the
council. Thus year after year the struggle went on. Bill after Bill
providing grants for the academy were passed by the House of Assembly but
negatived by the council. In this matter the council vetoed the voice of
the assembly no less than fifteen times.
opposition of the council to the will of the people so roused the energy
and righteous indignation of such men as Joseph Howe and Jotham Blanchard,
who waged such a vigorous contest, that the agitation finally ended in the
demolition of the council and in the establishment of Responsible
Government in Nova Scotia. The academy greatly suffered from their
rivalries. Unfortunately at this time a section of the Presbyterian Church
joined forces with the opponents of the Academy. The trustees became
discouraged for lack of funds to carry on the work. In 1830 it was on the
brink of ruin.
Finally, in 1831 Jotham
Blanchard was sent to England. as the agent of the trustees to lay the
whole case before the British Government. His mission to England was
successful. Virtually all the claims of the academy were sustained by the
GRAMMAR SCHOOL PERIOD
In attempting to take
advantage of this decision compromise was necessary. Those representing
the "Established Church of Scotland" with the Universities and Theological
Halls in Scotland were not interested in the higher work of a college
which would under local conditions very materially aid the preparation of
candidates for the ministry of the dissenting Presbyterians known as
antiburghers, while the established Kirk expected to draw their ministers
from Scotland or from among Pictonians educated in Scotland. These wanted
nothing more than a grammar school; but if there were to be college
studies they would have to be conducted in the same building–not in a
separate one. The Trustees under the reform Act of 1832 represented the
two parties; but the internal friction prevented the successful
development of either the college or grammar school grades of the academy.
In 1838 Dr. McCulloch
with $800 of grant, was at last transferred to Dalhousie College and made
president, which position he continued to hold until his death in 1843.
His remains rest in the old Pictou cemetery where his students erected a
monument to his memory. From 1832-1842, the academy was reduced to the
level of a Grammar school, with Michael McCulloch, Geo. A. Blanchard, Wm.
McDonald and Mr. McNaughton as teachers. In 1842 the grant totally failed.
The academy lingered on until August 1844 when its doors were closed. The
building was in a state of dilapidation. The library was mouldering on the
shelves, the scientific collections were sold abroad.
THE UNION ACADEMY PERIOD
This state of affairs,
however, soon aroused the people. Public meetings were called by the two
great parties of the county. The Act of 1845 carried in its preamble a
record of the desire of the people interested in the Pictou Academy to
co-operate–"as to unite the two parties existing in that county in the
support thereof." It is at this time the motto "Concordia Salus" was
probably adopted. It was certainly the first time an effective local
effort was made to carry out the principle. This period is therefore well
known as one of union in academic development; and united local support
has since carried the academy on through subsequent changes with ever
growing success. The old board of trustees resigned and a new union hoard
was elected. The new board of trustees set to work energetically in
repairing the building, organizing the departments, and securing teachers.
In 1846 the academy
re-opened and next year the three departments were in good working order.
Basil Bell was Principal and classical master, with Charles H. Hay and
Alexander McPhail in the
other two departments. In December 1847 Mr. McPhail resigned and was
succeeded by Wm. Jack. who continued in this department until 1865. At
this time John William Dawson delivered a course of lectures on natural
history. Mr. Hay suddenly died in 1847 and some time elapsed before his
place was filled.
In 1850 William R.
Mulholland was appointed mathematical teacher. At the same time W. G. T.
Jarvis succeeded Mr. Bell, and three years later, he was succeeded by T.
R. Mulholland. In 1855 W. R. Mulholland was transferred to the Normal
School, Truro, and T. R. Mulholland resigned. In the same year, John
Costley became classical master, and continued in charge until 1865, when
a new era was inaugurated throughout the province in educational matters.
In that year the Nova Scotia Free School system was enacted, and the
academy was organized into a special academy.
THE SPECIAL ACADEMY PERIOD
The Free School Act of
1865 provided grants of $600 each for county academies, to which students
passing the entrance examination from any part of the county would be
admitted free. Pictou Academy and about a half a dozen other leading
institutions were classed as special academies. It was to function as a
county academy; but on account of its superior equipment received a grant
of $1000 instead of $600 per annum. Until the Act to encourage Academic
education in 1885, the academy and public schools of the town of Pictou
was governed by a board of trustees from the Board of the academy and the
board of the public schools, thus making the academy the head of the
Pictou public school system. This arrangement proved most satisfactory,
and under this plan the academy made another forward step. Herbert A.
Bayne was appointed first principal arid the organizer of the new order of
things, which he did most successfully. In the autumn of 1867 Mr. Bayne
left to complete his course in Dalhousie College and Aubrey Lippincott, B.
A., one of the first graduates of Dalhousie College, was appointed
substitute principal for a year. He also, was very successful in winning
the respect and affection of his students and carried forward the work
most efficiently. He is now a successful eye specialist in Pittsburgh, Pa.
In the following year
Mr. Bayne returned accompanied by J. J. MacKenzie. Mr. MacKenzie at first
taught the preparatory department, but shortly afterwards the two
departments were combined, Principal Bayne teaching classics and science
and Mr. MacKenzie English and Mathematics. These gentlemen both resigned
in 1873 to take a post graduate course in Germany where each won a
Doctor's degree. Returning to Canada, Dr. Bayne took a position in the
Military College, Kingston, and Dr. MacKenzie the professorship of Physics
in Dalhousie College. Both were cut down by death in early manhood.
In 1873 A. H. MacKay
(now Dr. MacKay, Superintendent of Education for Nova Scotia) became
principal. With him was associated F. W. George, M. A., Principal MacKay
teaching, Mathematics and Science and Mr. George, English and Classics. In
October 1876, Mr. George resigned to enter upon Church work. In 1876,
Robert Maclellan, the present principal, was appointed to the Classical
and English department which position he held until 1883, when he resigned
to take the position of Inspector of Schools for Pictou and South
Under Principal MacKay's
strong administration the Academy made rapid strides. It became celebrated
throughout the province and far beyond its limits. Students flocked in
from all quarters until there was not room enough to receive. Larger
quarters became absolutely necessary, and the citizens of Pictou, with a
public spirit worthy of their ancestors, raised about $20,000 for a new
building. It was erected in 1880 on the site of the present building.
Although it would be entirely inadequate for the present day, it was far
in advance of any other high school building in the province. It contained
four class rooms, Convocation hall, a small chemical laboratory capable of
accommodating five or six students. At the same time a third instructor
became necessary and Roderick MacKay, B. A., was appointed teacher of
Mathematics. After two years Mr. MacKay resigned to enter the ministry and
is now pastor of a congregation in Ontario. Mr. W. R. Fraser, B. A., (now
Ph. D., Johns Hopkins) was appointed as his successor. Mr. Fraser taught
until 1888 when he resigned to take a post graduate course in Johns
Meanwhile in 1883 Mr.
Maclellan resigned as before stated, and was succeeded by Mr. Hector
McInnes, now K. C., and head of one of the most influential law firms in
Halifax. Mr. McInnes taught Mathematics while the Classical subjects were
divided between Principal MacKay and Mr. Fraser.
THE COUNTY ACADEMY PERIOD
In 1885 the "Act to Encourage Academic Education" consolidated the County
Academy system of the Province and provided a scale of grants somewhat
proportional to the equipment and educational work of each academy. The
Pictou Academy was qualified for the highest scale of grant which was an
advance upon the previous special Academic grant. In 1885 Mr. McInnes was
succeeded by Mr. Humphrey Mellish, B. A., also at present a prominent
member of the Halifax Bar. In the same year a fourth teacher became
necessary and Mr. Isaac Gammell, B. A., was appointed as instructor in
English and History. Three years later, in 1888, Mr. Mellish was succeeded
by R. M. Langille, B. A.; and David Soloan, B. A., was appointed to the
position vacated by Mr Gammell, who accepted a position in the Montreal
High School which he still holds; and Mr. Fraser was succeeded by J. C.
It may be here mentioned
that a great boom was given to the Academy between the years 1880 and 1891
by the Munro Exhibitions and Bursaries offered for competition to students
matriculating into the University of Dalhousie. Five Exhibitions of the
value of $400 each and ten bursaries of $300 each were presented annually
by George Munro, of New York, (an old Pictou Academy student by the way).
Pictou Academy was always successful in winning the lion's share of these
In 1889 Principal MacKay
resigned to take the principalship of Halifax Academy, which he held for
two years and was then appointed Superintendent of Education for Nova
Scotia. At the same time Mr. Langille and Mfr. Shaw resigned; the former
to enter upon practice of Law and the latter to take a teaching position
in Vancouver, where he shortly afterwards died. Robert Maclellan was
appointed principal and instructor in Ancient Classics and modern
languages; Mr. V. S. Frazee, B. A., took commercial branches and
mathematics and Mr. H. M. MacKay, B. A., mathematics and science.
In 1891 Mr. Frazee and
Mr. Soloan resigned, the former to take a teaching position in Providence.
and the latter to the Principalship of the Presbyterian College in St.
John's, Nfd. Mr. Frazee was succeeded by A. O. Macrae, B. A., and Mr.
Soloan by A. C. L. Oliver, B. A. H. M. MacKay resigned in 1892 to take a
course in engineering in McGill College, in which he won very high
standing, distancing all competitors. Mr. C. L. Moore succeeded Mr. MacKay
in the mathematical and science department. In 1893 C. B. Robinson, B. A.,
succeeded Mr. Macrae, in who resigned that year to take up the study of
theology. He is at present principal of a college in Calgary.
On October 26, 1895, the
Academy building was set on fire by lightning, and all the walls
destroyed. In addition to the destruction of the building, interesting
records and the greater part of a valuable museum were lost. This apparent
calamity resulted in good. The building had become inadequate to the
advancing requirements of the work. The people of Pictou responded
heroically to the call thus made on them and the present building, double
the size of the former, was erected in the summer of 1896 and was ready
for occupancy in the beginning of 1897. In the autumn of 1896, A. C. L.
Oliver, one of the best-loved teachers the Academy has ever had, was cut
off by typhoid fever in the flower of his age and usefulness. He was
succeeded by H. P. Duchemin, B. A. In 1897 Mr. Robinson resigned to follow
a post-graduate course in Science in Cambridge, England; and H. M. MacKay,
with the degree of B. Sc., from McGill, returned to take his place and
remained till Mr. Robinson's return in 1899. In the same year Mr. Moore
resigned to take a post-graduate course in Science at Johns Hopkins, and
was succeeded by J. T. McLeod, who taught for one year and was followed by
H. F. Munro, B. A. In 1901 Mr. Duchemin resigned to engage in the practice
of law in Sydney in partnership with Mr. C. L. Moore, who had meanwhile
dropped science for law. Mr. Duchemin was succeeded by R. S. Boehner, B.
A. In 1906, Dr. Robinson accepted an important position under the U. S.
Government in connection with botanical work in the Philippines. and W. P.
Fraser, B. A., was appointed to succeed him. In December 21, 1913, he was
killed by the natives of the Philippine Islands, while on a botanical
In 1905 Mr. Fraser and
Mr. Boehner both resigned, the former to complete his course in Cornell,
the latter to take the position of chemical demonstrator in McGill. Angus
McLeod, Esq., who had been for a number of years the efficient principal
of Kentville Academy was appointed to the mathematical department and Mr.
C. L. Moore, who had soon wearied of the quirks of the law, returned to
his old love, the teaching of science. He remained, however, only a few
years, tempted by a much higher salary to take the supervisorship of the
Sydney Schools. He is now Prof. in Biology, University of Dalhousie,
Halifax, and Dean of the Rural Science Faculty in the Provincial Normal
College at Truro.
In 1907 Mr. McLeod
accepted the principalship of the Canso High School, and was succeeded by
R. H. McLeod, Esq., a graduate of Pictou Academy with an excellent record
as a successful teacher, and Mr. W. P. Fraser, B. A., returned to fill the
science department vacated by Mr. Moore. Mr. Fraser is now on the staff of
the Macdonald College, Quebec. On account of ill health Mr. McLeod
resigned in 1909, and as no regularly qualified successor could be
obtained the department was conducted by three substitutes in succession,
J. L. Tanch, Norman Robson and John G. McLean. The present staff of Pictou
Academy includes Robert Maclellan, LL. D., foreign languages; John Crerar
McDonald, sciences; Howard Hersey Mussells, B. A., Mathematics; Robert
Ebenezer Inglis, B. A., English.
Looking back over the
history of the academy we can see how great its influence upon the country
has been. It has been an important factor in its religious and political
development. Though crushed and of times defeated, yet out of the
struggles have come a great inheritance. It is estimated at least over
five or six thousand students have passed through its halls. More than
three hundred of these have entered the Gospel ministry, men who have not
only done valiant work in the homeland, but have distinguished themselves
in Foreign fields. Its lawyers, doctors, politicians, merchants and
mechanics, are to be found in every quarter of the globe.
Confining ourselves to the students of the olden time, we find the academy
giving the world among others, Sir T. D. Archibald, baron of the English
court of Exchequer; Judge Ritchie, of the Supreme court of Canada; Sir A.
G. Archibald, Governor of Nova Scotia; Judge Young of Charlottetown;
Jotham Blanchard; Geo. R. Young; Sir J. W. Dawson, President of McGill
University; Dr. Ross, Dalhousie; D. M. Gordon, D. D., of Queen's
University; President Ross Hill, of the State University of Missouri; Dr.
Robinson, Chief Superintendent of Education for British Columbia. These
are only a few of the more prominent names of the past. There are hosts of
men of later days, whose names stand high in business and professional
only in men but in measures is the Academy notable. From the crushed
Pictou Academy sprang the nonsectarian Dalhousie College, now a large
provincial University. The little class in theology first started by Dr.
McCulloch was the germ of Pine Hill, the Halifax Presbyterian Theological
College. The impetus given and the interest awakened in the cause of
Education by the Academy, has made Pictou County ever since the banner
spot of Nova Scotia educationally. The present Pictou Academy is still
doing a noble work. When its centenary is celebrated, from every part of
the country, its children will turn to it with warm hearts and sincere