THE shipping business in the United
States, to a large extent, has been developed by Scotsmen; not alone
transatlantic commerce, but that with the British dominions and other
countries. One of the leading spirits in developing the trade with
Australia and New Zealand is Charles Kydd, a member of R. W. Cameron &
Co., New York.
Mr. Kydd was born in Forfar,
Scotland, January 17, 1847, the son of Alexander and Ann Ormond Kydd. He
was educated in the schools of Forfar and Edinburgh, and acquired his
early business training in the National Bank of Scotland, beginning as a
clerk in 1863, and in the Bank of British North America, where he secured
employment in 1873. He came to the United States in 1870. After leaving
the Bank of British North America, 1874, he connected himself with the
house of R. W. Cameron & Co., Australian merchants, of which firm he has
been a partner for more than twenty years. He has taken an active part in
the building up of commercial relations between America and Australia, New
Zealand and South Africa. He is a director and member of the Executive
Committee of the United States and Australasian Steam-ship Co., New York.
Mr. Kydd attributes his success solely to persistent application to
business and patient effort to improve every opportunity that success in
any line can be attained only by hard work and intelligent preparation for
Mr. Kydd is a member of the St.
Andrews Society of the State of New York, the New York Chamber of
Commerce, the New York Consolidated Stock Exchange and the Reform Club of
New York. He is very fond of reading, and has collected a fine library and
happy hours among his books. He is a
member of the Dutch Reformed Church. One of his favourite pastimes is
fishing, which, with other out-of-door sports, he enjoys to the full at
his summer home in Center Lovell, Maine. He is of a genial disposition,
loved by his employees and has a large circle of friends.
Mr. Kydds city residence is 25
Tonnele Avenue, Jersey City Heights, Jersey City, N. J.; his business
address, 23 South William Street, New York City.