1479.NEW CHAPLAINRY IN
ST. JAMESS CHAPEL, NORTH QUEENSFERRY.Henry, Lord Abbot of Dunfermline,
this year, granted the office of a chaplainry, newly founded by him, in
St. Jamess Chapel, North Queensferry, to David Story, with a stipend of
10 merks yearly, to be paid from the coffers of Dunfermline Abbey,
together with a garden, and two acres of ground and pasturage for one
horse; also all offerings at the altar of the chapel, except the oblations
of the pix and those of lights, which are to be reserved for lighting the
chapel; likewise 20 shillings for supporting the ornaments and vestments
of said altar; but an account is to be rendered to the Abbot how the sum
is applied. The chaplain, in consideration of these things must perform a
daily mass for the souls named in the Charter of Infeudation; also, he
shall continually reside at, and dwell in the manse of the chapel; and, if
he undertakes any other cure, or resides elsewhere, by which the service
may be neglected, the chaplainry shall be declared vacant, and fall into
the Abbots hands. 9Print. Regist. Dunf. No. 462, pp. 359, 360; Dal. Mon.
Antiq. pp. 36, 37, &c.)
BARK PIT in the
alemosynary yaird, Tower-burn, &c., noticed in the Burgh Records. This
note shows that there was at this period, near the north side of the
Tower-hill, works for the tanning of leather.
1480.THE MONKS OF
DUNFERMLINE.Their right to Two Cobils and Two Nets, at the Fishery of
Aldstelle, near Berwick-on-Tweed, was tried by a jury at Edinburgh, when a
verdict was found in favour of the monks. (Findens Views of the Ports,
Harbours, Coast Scenery, and Watering Places of Great Britain, by Rev. W.
H. Bartlett, Edited by W. Beattie, M.D.)
SILVER BASIN AND EWER,
purchased from the Abbot of Kinloss by the Conventual Brethren at
Dunfermline.James Guthry, 19th Abbot of Kinloss, in his expenditure of
the Abbey of Kinloss, had fallen short of money about this period. To
raise money, he sold the organs, which were afterwards found at Forres,
and also a Basin and Ewer of silver, afterwards found at Dunfermline.
(Preface to Records of the Monastery of Kinloss, Edited by John Stuart,
LL.D. p. xii.)
LORD ABBOT.Henry de
Crichtoun, Lord Abbot of Dunfermline, appears to have died in June, 1482.
(General Allans MSS.)
1483.ADAM, Lord Abbot of
Dunfermline.It is not known exactly when Adam was elected and consecrated
Lord Abbot of Dunfermline (probably in January, 1483). His name occurs
for the first time in a writ in the Register of Dunfermline, regarding
some parcel of land near Musselburgh, which he conceded to Thomas Tod,
burgess of Edinburgh. (See Annals Dunf. date 1490; Print. Regist. Dunf.
No. 486, p. 372.) The 27th Abbot of Dunfermline.
THE CROSS WYND mentioned
in a minute of Council this year. (Burgh Records.)
1484.THE LANDS OF HAILES.The
Abbot and Monks of Dunfermline were the superiors of the lands of East
Hailes till 1560. The family of Crichton held these lands of their
superiors on payment of a feu-duty. On the forfeiture of William, Lord
Crichton, in 1484, these lands reverted to the Abbot and conventual
brethren. (Cha;. Hist. Dunf. vol. i. pp. 224, 225.)
schoolmaister, poet, &c., Dunfermline, in his Schir Chatecleir and the
Foxe, written about this period, alludes to the Orlege Bell. Probably
this may refer to a clock that struck the hours on a bell, either in the
Abbey or the Monastery of Dunfermline. It is well known that Henryson
drew much of his illustrations, figures, &c., from what he saw in his
immediate vicinity. If he does, it shows that the conventual brethren had
the benefit of a clock at so early a period, at least, as this.
Our nichtingall, and als
our orlege bell,
Our walkryfe watche us for to warne and tell,&c.
(Laings Henrysons Poems, p. 121.)
1486.WILLIAM BROWN, the
eminent theologian and poet, of Dunfermline, appears to have died about
this period, aged about 90. There are several versions of Dunbars poem
on The Death of the Makir (Poets). Instead of the couplet referring to
Henrysons death (Annals, date 1499) it has been rendered perhaps more
correctly as follows:--
In Dunfermling he [Death]
has taen Broun,
And gude Maister Robert Henrysoun.
withdrawn from Dunfermline Abbey, and bestowed by James III. and his
Parliament on the Chapel-Royal, Stirling, 1487. (Carrs Hist. Coldingham,
pp. 307, 308; Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. i. p. 241; Annals Dunf. date
It had been 109 years
under the protection of Dunfermline Abbey.
THE CASISAGAIT (He-Gate,
or High Street), named in the Burgh Records this year as Casisagait and
Causagate, being then the only street in the burgh laid with causey-stanes.
RATTON ROW.In the
Burgh Records of this date, the Ratton Row is mentioned in connection with
a barn in the Raw. Ratton (not Rotten) is the proper orthography of the
name, meaning a row of houses, built of rattons, or undressed timber. A
tradition, referring to the year 1624, when three-fourths of the town was
burnt, avers that a week before the great fire at Dunfermline, on 25th
May, 1624, the rattins [rats] left this Row in a body. This was
afterwards taken as a sign of the sagacity of the rottens, and hence the
Row was called Rotten Row. Tradition is here at fault; for it is here
shown that the said Row was called the Rotten Row in 1487, or 137 years
before the great fire. (See also Annals of Dunf. dates 1624, 1809, 1845.)
1488.EAST PORT, AND
ALMSHOUSE.In the first, or oldest, volume of the Burgh Records, mention
is made of an Almshouse, under date 4th August, 1488, which stood without
ye est yet [or Port] on the north sid of ye Causay. This is the third
notice of a Port of the burgh on record. (See Annals, date 1326, 1477.)
Tradition points to the site of this old Almshouse, as standing on ground
at the foot of Shadows Wynd (now Bonnar Street). (Vide also Chal. Hist.
Dunf. vol. i. p. 449.)
Cockburn was the Alderman or Provost of Dunfermline this year. (Burgh
Provost.David Coupir, elected 1st Oct. (Burgh Records.)
persons, mentioned in the Burgh Records, 14th October, receive burgess
privileges at ½ merk each.
made a burgess by reason of his wyff. (Burgh Records.)
MAY-GAIT.The Maygate is
noticed in a minute of Council, held in August 1, this year. (Brugh
FIRST ELECTION OF THE
TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNFERMLINE.The first election of Magistrates and Council
entered in the Town Council Records occurs in 1488. The old Council had
met in the Prętoria (it is here called the Tolbucht), and the honours of
office had fallen on the following persons (the heading of the notice of
this Court is Assisa in Principa Sancta Maria, holdyn in the tolbuth):--David
Couper is elected Prępositus, or Provost; David Litser and William of
Balloune are elected Bailies; Wat Caldwell and Jamy Gerviss are appointed
sergeants; and the names of 14 Councillors are givennine of the
fourteen, viz., Jamy Spens, Jamy Malcom, Adam Alan, John Brysson, Paul
Wallas, Morris Stevyn, Sandie Clerk, Andrew Craufurd, and Morris Thomson,
are appointed Flesh Pricers )or, to give the Latin title, Appreciatores
Carnium). Three of these officials, viz., Jamy Spens, John Brysson and
Paul Wallas, are pluralists, for they are to act as Ale-Tasters (or in
Latin, say Gustatores Cervisię); while Andrew Butler, R. Law, R. Gibson,
John Peirson, and John Huym are elected Liniatores; (Inspectors of Weights
and Measures) and John Wallas, Andrew Craufurd, and T. Angus, as Birlawmen
(Assessors of Fines). Such is a complete list, the first list, of
Dunfermline Town Council in 1488. (Dunf. Town Coun. Records; Dr. Rosss
Burgh Life in Olden Time, p. 7.)
CULPRITS AND BURGH
FINES.In the Burgh Records, under date September 15th, 1488, the
following fines are imposed on delinquents for misdemeanoursviz.,
Imprimis, Jock Saunders, viii; Thome Murra, iis; Marione Logan, viiid;
Jamy Peterson, viid; Rob. Hutone, viiid; Jok Myllars wyff, vid; John
Thomsone, viiid; John Wrycht, viiid; Davy Sege, xiid; John Strang, xiid;
John Fithison, xiid; Andro Dewar, xiid. It would appear that early
punishments were by fining. The old Burgh Records abound in such
entries. This one, among the earliest, will suffice as a specimen.
PROVOST, OR PRĘPOSITUS OF
DUNFERMLINE.William Stewart, elected on October 6. On November 3rd, same
year, he is styled Alderman. Would this be the transition period, when
the designation of Alderman and Provost were acknowledged as equivalent
terms just before the now common title Provost was finally adopted?
Provost William Stewarts Bailies were David Litster and William Spittall.
FORSPEAKER.Henry Spittal was one of the Fore-speakers or Advocates who
pled in the Assize Courts, Dunfermline.
Nethertown and Hospital.Henrysoun, in his Testimony of Cresseid,
referring to the conveying of a female leper privately from the Abbey,
He opnit ane secrit yet,
and out thairat
Convoyit hir, that na man suld espy,
Unto ane village, half ane myle thairby,
Deliverit hir in at the Spittaill hous,
And daylie sent hir part of his almous, &c.
The Secret Yett, or postern
gate, refers to a gate in the south wall of the Monsastery, Priory Lane,
long since removed. Ane village, half ane mile thairby, undoubtedly
refers to the Nethertown, and the Spittaill house to St. Leonards
Hospital. (See Laingss Henrysons Poems, p. 89.)
MAY GAIT is referred to
in the Burgh Records, under date 12th May, 1489. The origin of the name
is not clearly known.
1490.THE LIGHTS OF OUR
LADYS ALTAR.In the Burgh Records of this date there is a Rentall of
Our Ladys Licht Silver, noting the the landis of David Couper, beneath
the Tolbuith, paid the annual sum of 7 shillings, or else he must uphald
ye litill herss of wax.
ADAM, Lord Abbot of
Dunfermline, ceases to be Abbot on June 20th, 1490; but as to whether he
died, resigned, or was deposed, history is silent. He was 27th Abbot of
Dunfermline. (Print. Regist. Dunf. pp. 372, 372.)
GEORGE, Lord Abbot of
Dunfermline, succeeded Adam as Lord Abbot. His name, for the first time,
occurs in a Charter of date 20th June, 1494. (Kennedys History of
Aberdeen, vol. i. p. 61.) He was 29th Abbot of Dunfermline. (Vide An.
THE FOUL VENNEL.This
vennel, or dirty lane, is mentioned in the Burgh Records. It was about
eight feet broad. Afterwards it was called In-below-th-was, because
it proceeded along the north side of the northern boundary wall of the
Abbey, from east end of the Maygate to the Newraw. It is now known as
Canmore Street(see An. Dunf. date 1500)a wide street, and one of the
best in town.
SKLAT HOUSE, on the
Kirk-Yeard dyke, is noticed in the Burgh Records under date 12th May of
this yearperhaps then the only slated house in Dunfermline.
ALTARS IN THE ABBEY.In
the Burgh Records, of date 23rd June of this year, the following Altars in
the Abbey are noticedviz., Our Ladys Altar; Sanct Thomass Altar; and
Haly-bluid Altar. These Altars were served by the monks.
DAVID COUPER, Alderman,
or Provost, elected in October, 1490. (Burgh Records.)
ST. PETERS ALTAR in the
Abbey noticed, of which Dean Thomas Couper was tutor or priest. (Burgh
ST. JOHNS ALTAR in the
Abbey, and Dene Davy Sim, its tutor or priest, are mentioned in the
Burgh Records of this date. The Town Council of Dunfermline held the
patronage of this Altar.
BURGESS.David Bennit was
made a burgess of Dunfermline this year, be reasoun of his modir.
OUR LADYS AISLE IN THE
ABBEY.In a Court, holden on September 24th, 1490, it is notedYat ilk
day ye alderman and pairt of ye communitie has consentit yat Schir James
Alanson haf the ii dais service yat Schir John Orok had of umquhil mariane
Thomsone gaff umquhil Schir John has ye service of our Lay ile or other
service, &c. (Burgh Records.)
1492.It is not known
when the now staple trade of weaving originated in Dunfermline, but six
wabsters, strubblers, of John Schortrig, were tried on 10th January,
1491, by the magistrates of Dunfermline. This is the first notice on
record of Dunfermline weavers. (Dunf. Burgh Records.)
NEIGHBOURS QUARRELSBetween William Hart and Agnes Bower.The affair
comes before the bailies, and it is decided that gyf Agnes Bower falt to
Will Hart in tym to cum, or any other nychbor, to be put on the gowe; and
gyf Will Hart falt to her, to pay xis to Sanct Salvatoris Altar
onforgyffen. (Dr. Rosss Burgh Life Dunf. p. 15;Burgh Records, vol. i.)
JOHN OR MONTEITH elected
Alderman, or Provost, 19th October. (Burgh Records.)
THE MORNING SERVICE.Schir
John Robertson receives a gift of the morning service in the Abbey, with
its emoluments. (Burgh Records.)
OUR LADYS ISLE AND
ST. JAMES ALTAR (Schir Henry Barbour, chaplain) in the Abbey, are
noticed in the Burgh Records.
ALTAR.In the Burgh Records, of date 19th October of this year, it is
stated that the service at St. Salvadors Altar in the Abbey was given to
Schir James Gudswain.
PARISH ALTAR OF
DUNFERMLINE is mentioned in October of this year, in connection with a
marriage celebrated at it by Schir Alex. Logan. (Burgh Records.)
MORNING SERVICE OF THE
ABBEY.The following are the names of those elected to uphold the morning
service in the Abbey:--Schir Robert Normans, Sir Richard Hartsed, Schir
Richard Myche, Schir John Alenson, Schir Davy Roger; the fe to be gyffen
to Schir Robert Norman for his tyme. (Burhg Records.)
Sansoni de Riari, Cardinal Deacon, was elected Abbot of Dunfermline on
August 12th, 1491. Raffaelle Sansoni, Deacon of the Roman Church, by the
title of S. Georgio in Velabro, Vice-Chancellor and Camerlengo, was
appointed Commendator of the Abbey of Dunfermline by Bull of Pope Innocent
IV. This Italian Abbot was non-resident, but still he must be enrolled in
the succession of Abbots of Dunfermline. This Abbot has hitherto escaped
the notice of all historians and ecclesiastical writers. (General Allans
MS.) He appears to have held the Commendator Abbotship for two years
1492.JOHN OF MONTEITH
re-elected Alderman, or Provost, October 2. Bailies: David Litster and
William Spittall. (Burgh Records.)
Burgh Seal.Sir John
Cokburn is mentioned in the Burgh Records as being the Keeper of the
Burgh Seal, (See Seal, under date 1395.)
SANCT MARGARETS ALTAR.Schir
Andrew Peirson, Chaplain of the Service; Schir Thomas Moffat, Chaplain of
the Morning Service. (Burgh Records.)
1493.GEORGE, Lord Abbot
of Dunfermline, and also Treasurer of Scotland, appears to have been
elected and consecrated this year. (Sib. Hist. Fife et Kin. p. 260, &c.)
ST. MARGARETS ALTAR
LIGHTS.In the Burgh Records of this date a minute entry notifies that
John Kellock has a cow quilk giffs to St. Margarets Altar half ane pund
of vax yearly. (i.e. the tax on the cow).
NICHOL FLECHOUR AND HIS MARYNALLS.In
the Burgh Records, of date 1st October of this year, Nichol Flechour and
his mariners appear before the Head Court at Dunfermline regarding a
dispute about a barrel of soap. It has been supposed that Nichol and his
mariners, or sailors, were probably the captain and crew of the Abbots
boat or ship.
1494.GEORGE, Lord Abbot
of Dunfermline, was elected one of the Lords of Council. (Kennedys
Hist. Aberdeen, vol. i. p. 51, &c.; See An. Dunf. date 1499.)
ST. MARGARETS ALTAR.Schir
Andrew Peirson, Chaplain; Schir Steven Stirling, Chaplain of the Morning
Service. 20/ out of the common purse promised. (Burgh Records.)
elected Alderman, or Provost, of Dunfermline in October; Dean Thomas
Couper, monk in the Abbey, Master of the Petty Common, near the burn.
CADGERS AND FISH.In the
Burgh Records there is a minute ordering the cadgers to provide six loads
of fish weekly for the communitytwo loads on Wednesday, two on Friday,
and two on Saturday. To this the cadgers agreed.
Burgh Records, in February this year, have the following entry:--Gilbert
Hardy, accused of the Strublance of Andro Morrison and the gude toune.
Gilbert denied the charge; and, in the usual phrase of the time, not
entirely free of the charge of levity, takes him to ye knowledge yrof of
God and a gude assize. The assize having repely advised, find Gilbert
innocent and Andrew Morrison and his wife guilty. (Dr. Rosss Burgh Life
in Dunf. p. 14.)
NOTICE.There is a minute in the Burgh Records (October) anent the furth
castin of water, and ither abominables.
THE BURN.In the Burgh
Records, of this date, is the following entry:--The Burn: The quhilk day
the communitie of Dunfermlyn has consentit til open the burn at the west
gavil of the tolbuith. This burn was afterwards known as the back
burn, and is the same rivulet that runs from north to south under Bridge
THE STOCKS.The Stocks
are referred to in the Burgh Records of date October 6th. They were
generally place near the Pillory in burghs. These Stocks of Dunfermline
have not been used for the last hundred years; but they are still to the
fore. They were discovered in the garret of the Town-house in 1841, and
evil-doers may yet get a practical knowledge of their use.
OUR LADYS LICHT is
again noticed in the Burgh Records in connection with the littil herss.
This littil herss was a little canopy suspended over the Altar of St.
Margaret, in the Lady Aisle, or Chapel. (See An. Dunf. woodcut, date
CUNFERMLINE, WEIGHT OF BREAD, &C.This year the Town Council enacts that
ye pace of bred be 15 units the wastell. (Burgh Records, date 1497.)
PRĘTORIUM OF THE
BURGH.As early as this date, Town Council meetings are entered in the
Burgh Records as being held in the Prętorium (Tolbooth of the burgh).
This designation continued down so late as the beginning of the 18th
BURGESS.A person was
made a burgess of Dunfermline, at the command of my Lord of Mar. (Burgh
1498.THE ABBOT ORDERS
THE RELEASE OF ALEXANDER AITTON.At a meeting of the Chapter of the Abbey,
the Abbot, through his Treasurer, and Tom Buquhanan, took Alexander Aitton
furth of the tolbuth. This was a most unwarrantable act of the Abbotan
usurpation of the prerogative of the Provost of the burgh. (Burgh
Records, date 1498.)
Symson was elected Provost of Dunfermline in October of this year. (Burgh
SLAYING OF CATTLE IN THE
NIGHT-TIME!There is a minute in the Burgh Records regarding the alleged
wrangis slaying of cattal all of unfreemen under silence of nicht.
THE RIVULET OF GARVOCK
AND LYNN BURN.The name Rivulet de Garvock occurs in the Register of
Dunfermline shortly after the middle of the 13th century. About the
middle of the 15th century, the name became a compound one, viz.,
Rivulet de Garvock, or Lyn Burn probably from the small Lyn, or Lin,
at Woodmills, about a mile and a-half east of Dunfermline. In 1498, the
Rivuket de Garvock disappears, and henceforward in writs, &c., the rivulet
is designated the Lyn Rivulet, or Lyne Burn, which name it still
retainsand, no doubt, with this name
Twill murmur on a thousand
And flow as now it flows.
From this it is obvious,
that this second name Lyn or Lyne, originating about the end of the
15th century, has no connection whatever with the affix lyn of
Dunfermline, of date circa 1100, so often used as such by writers when
treating of its etymology. (See also Annals Dunf. date 1270.)
1499.THE PEST or Plague,
rages in Dunfermline this year. (Vide Burgh Records of 1499.) This
pest was also know as the Grandgore. It reached Edinburgh in 1497,
where it carried off hundreds of victims. About a year and a-half after
the scourge reached the metropolis, it is found cutting down victims in
Dunfermline and vicinity. It is probable that gude Maister Robert
Henrysone, the schoolmaster in Dunfermling, hearing of the approach of
this plague in Edinburgh, composed his serious poetical effusion, entitled
Ane Prayer for the Peat, of which the following are the opening lines:-
O Eterne God! Of power
To quhois hie knawlege na thing in obsure
That is, or was, or evir salbe, perfyt,
In to thy sicht, quhill that this warld indure;
Haif mercy of us, indigent and pure,
Thou dois na wrang to puneiss our offens;
O Lord! that is to mankind haill secure
Preserve us fra this perrelus pestilence, &c.
Many of the stanzas of the
poem of 88 lines ends with Preserve us fra this perrelus pestilence,
which shows that this pest had not as yet reached Dunfermline, and
therefore it may have been composed in 1497-1498. If this pest can be
connected with the poem, then it would settle a point in dispute, viz.,
In what year did Henrysoun die? Dunbar, in his Lament for the Death of
the Makaris, which appears to have been written about 1506, and published
in 1508, notices the death of Henrysoun thus
In Dunfermline he (Death)
hes done roun
Gude Maister Robert Henrysoun.
(See Annals of Dunf. date 1486.)
If these lines were penned
in 1506, it is evident that Henrysoun was dead before that year; and, if
he was alive just before the pestilence reached Dunfermlinsay, in
1497then we have two certain dates, showing that he must have died
between the years 1497 and 1506. Perhaps 1497-1504 my be the near dates,
because he may have been dead for some time before Dunbar wrote the
Lament. We think it not improbable that Henrysoun, an old and infirm
man (then about 75 years old), would be carried off by the plague in
Dunfermline in 1499; plague and dysentery together were likely the
complaints of which he died. If he did not die during the time the plague
raged in Dunfermline in 1499, then the middle date between 1499 and
1504viz., 1502, may be taken as the date of Henrysouns death. As we
think 1499 is the probable year of his death, a few remarks will be
ROBERT HENRYSOUN probably
died this year (1499), aged about 76 years. Little is known of his
history. It is not known where he was born, most probably in Dunfermline
or its neighbourhood; at all events, he died in Dunfermline in the winter
of say 1499(see the couplet by Dinbar)and most likely was interred in
the Abbey grounds. It would appear from two Charters in the Register of
Dunfermline, that he was a notary in Dunfermline Abbey in the years 1477,
1478. These Charters refer to the lands of Spittalfields, near
Inverkeithing, granted by the Abbot of Dunfermline to George de Lothreisk,
and to Patrick Barone, burgess of Edinburgh, and to Margaret, his spouse.
In each of these charters, or deeds, appears probablyfrom at least 1478
to his death, circa 1499the Abbots notary, and also the schoolmaster of
the Abbey. In the year 1462 he was a Licentiate in Arts and Bachelor in
degrees of Glasgow College and hence his right to the prefix of Master.
In those days no one could legally use the designation Master without
graduating as M.A. at a College. Henrysouns latter years, at least,
appear to have been spent in Dunfermline. He is usually known as Robert
Henrisoun, scholemaistr of Dunfermling, and he is so distinguished by the
Earl of Kellie about the year 1619. He appears to have been a good and
learned old man, an excellent poet, and witty. The following anecdote is
usually quoted as connected with his last moments:--Being very old, he
died of a diarrhea, or fluxe, of whom there goes this merry, though
somewhat unsavoury tale,--that all phisitians having given him over, and
he lying drawing his last breath, there came ane old woman unto him who
was held a witch, and asked him whether he would be cured? To which he
said, Very willingly. Then, quod she, there is a whikey-tree in the
lower end of your orchard, and if you will goe and walke but thrice round
it, and thrice repeat these wordes, Whikey-tree, whikey-tree, take away
this fluxe from me, you shall be presently cured. He told her, that
beside he was extreme faint and weake, it was extreme frost and snow, and
that it was impossible for him to goe. She told him that unless he did
so, it was impossible he should recover. Mr. Henryson then lifting upp
himselfe, and pointing to an oaken table that was in the roome, asked her,
and seidGude dame, I pray ya, tell me if it would not do as well to
repeat thrice these words, Oaken buird, oaken-buird, garre me s------a
hard t-------. The woman seeing herself derided and scorned, ran out of
the house in a great passion, and Henrysoun within halfe a quarter of ane
houre, departed this life. (Dr. Laings Memoir of Henrysoun, prefixed to
his edition of the Poems and Fables of Robert Henrysoun, 1865, p. 20.)
This anecdote may well be doubted; he was too pious a man to trifle in
jokes, especially within half a quarter of ane houre of his death.
The Poems and Fables of
Henrysoun have been often published piecemeal. In 1865 the whole of his
works were collected and published in one volume. This was done by that
literary veteran David Laing, LL.D., Signet Library, Edinburgh, from which
work we extract the Table of Contents, in order that the reader may see
the titles of the various productions of the poet.
TABLE OF CONTENTS OF THE
POEMS OF ROBERT HENRYSOUN (1450-1499).
1. Robine and
2. The Garmond of Gude Ladeis.
3. The Bludy Serk.
4. The Abbey Walk.
5. Agaoris Haisty Creddance of Titlaris.
6. The Prais of Aige.
7. The Ressoning betwixt Aige and Yowth.
8. The Reasoning betwixt Deth and Man.
9. The Three Deid Powis.
10. The Salutation of the Virgin.
11. The Want of Wyse Men.
12. Ane Prayer for the Pest.
13. Sum Practysis of Medecyne.
14. Orpheus and Eurydice.
15. The Testament of Cresseid.
16. The Complaint of Cresseid.
The Moral Fables of Ęsop
(in Scottish Metre).
18. The Taill of the Cock and the Jasp
19. The Taill of the upolandis Mous and the Burges Mous.
20. The Taill of Schir Chantecleir and the Foxe.
21. The Taill how this foirsaid Tod made his Confessioun to
Freir Wolf Wait-skaith.
22. The Taile of the Sone and Air of the foirsaid Foxe, called
Alswa the Parliament of Fourfuttit Beastis haldin
be the Lyoun.
23. The Taill of the Dog, the Scheip and the Wolf.
24. The Prologue.
25. The Taill
of the Lyoun and the Mous.
26. The Preaching of the Swallow.
27. The Taill of the Wolf that gat the Nek-herring throw the
the Foxe that begylit the Badgear.
28. The Taill of the Foxe that begylit the Wolf in g the
Schadow of the Mone.
29. The Tail of the Wolf and the Wedder.
30. The Wolf and the Lamb.
31. The Taill of the Paddock and the Mous.
It has already been
mentioned that it is not known with certainty when or where Henrysoun was
born. Be that as it may, his name has always been inseparably connected
with Dunfermline. It is certain that within the walls of Dunfermline he
spent the greater part of his life, and probably here he was buried
. . . . . . Here he dwelt,
How many a cheerful day these ancient walls
Have often heard him, while his legend blithe
He sang of loveof knighthood, or the wiles
Of homely life; through each estate and age.
The fashion and follies of the world
With cunning hand pourtraying.
THE PLAGUE, OR PEST.The
Burgh Records, of date July 9th, 1499, notify that it was thought
expedient by the whole community that no victual should be sold out of the
town indurying the tym of this plague, and that whoever was found doing
so should be apprehended, and the victual confiscated, bot allanerly bred
and aill in small quantitie. (Dr. Rosss Burgh Life in Dunf. p. 27.)
SMITHS, MASONS, WRIGHTS,
&C.The Burgh Yett.Awright gets fourpence for ye fellyn of ane tre to ye
zet (of the burgh); rafters are bought at a shilling each, and fourpence
is paid for ye upbringing of ye buirds yat are zet at Innerkethyn. A
key for the kirk-door cost fourpence; and two shillings are paid for ye
lousing of Jamy Malcomes pot fra David Philp. (Dr. Rosss Burgh Life in
Dunf. p. 26; Burgh Rec.)
THE NAME OF GEORGE, Lord
Abbot of Dunfermline, occurs for the last time in a Charter, dated 24th
Feb. 1499. (Print. Regist. Dunf. p. 374.)
THE LEAR-STANE.The Strublers,
or disturbers of the peace of the burgh, and their lying excuses in
defending themselves before the Bailies Court, had so much increased at
this period, that the bailies, &c., of the burgh enacted by assize, on
17th March, 1499Yat ye lear-stance suld be set up againe in ye place
where it was wont to stand, or el sane as gude stane. It thus appears
that the lear-stane was an old institution in Dunfermline. (Dr. Rosss
Burgh Life in Dunf. pp. 16, 17; Burgh Rec.)
ST. RINGANS (St.
Ninians) ALTAR, and the ALTAR OF ST. CUTHBERT, in Dunfermline Abbey, are
noticed in a minute of the Burgh Records of this date.
NAMES OF MONKS AND
CHAPLAINS OF THE ABBEY.Between the years 1480 and 1500 there are to be
found incidentally in the Burgh Records of Dunfermlin the following names
of some of the Monks and Chaplains of the Abbey. The Monks have the
prefix of Dene, the Chaplains that of Schir (Sir), to their names, viz.:--
NAMES OF MONKS OF
DUNFERMLINE ABBEY into1480-1500.
(Vide Burgh Records.)
Ra. John Spenluff.
NAMES OF CHAPLAINS OF
DUNFERMLINE ABBEY inter 1380-1500.
(Vide Burgh Records.)
Grant. Robert Norman.
Roger. John Mason.
These must be taken as only
a fewnot the wholeof the Monks and Chaplains of the Abbey during
1480-1500. They occur in the Burgh Records in connection with legal
proceedings instituted in the Burgh Courts against parties who had not
paid up their annuals to certain Alterages. (Vide also Burgh Life in
Dunf. in the Olden Time, by Rev. Wm. Ross, LL.D. p. 30.)
During the period
1480-1500 there were three Abbots of Dunfermline, viz.:--Henry Creichton,
1482; Adam, 1483-1490; George, 1490-1499.
HEAD COURT OF YULE AND
PRICE OF ALE.At the Head Court of Yule [in 1499], it is statute and
ordainit that na man nor woman sel derer ail nor viid, a gallone, under
pane of viis. (Burgh Rec. 1499.)
DUNFERMLINE MARKET CROSS,
PRICE OF ALE, PENALTY, &c.In the Burgh Records of this date (1499), there
is the following minute:--Head Court of Yule, 1499.The quhilk day it is
statute and ordainit in jugement, be ye alderman and balzeis of yis burch,
and be ye haill communitie, yat nane brew aill derer nor viiid. Ye galoun,
under ye pain of takyn furth of yair caldronis and veschalls and dingin
out of ye bodumis at ye mercat cross. This is the first notice on record
of the Market Cross of Dunfermline; but there can be little doubt that
there was a mercat cross as early as 1396, immediately after the burgh
had received its important Charter from the Abbot. (See Annals, date
1395; Burgh Ports, 1396; Extent of Burgh, &c.
1500.ROBERT (n) BLACADER
was Lord Abbot of Dunfermline this year. The precise date of his election
and consecration to the office is not known. The only note referring to
him is to be found in Drummonds (of Hawthornden) Hist. Scot.,
viz.:--King James IV., intimating that, out of remorse for bearing arms
in the field where his father was slain, he had a resolution to leave his
kingdom and visit the Holy Sepulchre. To prepare his way, Robert
Blackader, Abbot of Dunfermline, is directed to accompany him, but dies on
the way and the King findeth other hindrances, &c. This Robert is the
29th Abbot of Dunfermline.
NAMES OF ALTARS IN
DUNFERMLINE ABBEY IN 1500.In the first, or oldest of the MS. Burgh
Records, the names of the following Altars occur between 1488 and 1500,
1. The High, or
Great Altar. 11. St. Laurences Altar.
2. Our Ladys Altar.
12. St. Margarets Altar.
3. The Haly Bluid Altar.
13. St. Ninians Altar.
4. The Rood, or Holy Cross Altar. 14. St.
5. St. Johns
Altar. 15. St. Nicholas
6. St. Peters
Altar. 16. St. Cuthberts
7. St. Jamess Altar.
17. St. Stephens Altar.
8. St. Thomass Altar.
18. St. Trunzeans Altar.
9. St. Michaels
Altar. 19. St. Catherines Altar.
10. St. Salvators
Altar. 20. The Parish Altar.
Probably there were more
Altars, although not on record.
NAMES OF STREETS IN
DUNFERMLINE IN A.D. 1500.Strictly speaking, there were no streets in
Dunfermline in 1500. The thoroughfares were designated as Rows, Gates,
Wynds, and Vennels. Of these, the following existed in 1500:--
1. The CasigateHie-Gate,
and latterly High Street.
2. The Colzier Raw; now Bruce Street.
3. Rottan Row; now West Queen Ann Street.
4. The Cross Wynde; stills retains the same name.
5. The Kirkgait;
6. St. Catherines Gait; now St. Catherines Wynd.
7. May Gait; still retains the same name;
9. The Foul Vennel; afterwards known by the name of
In-below-the-was, being a dirty
foot-road, about eight feet broad, which ran east from
the east end of the
Maygate, along the foot of the north wall of the Abbey
to the Newraw.
10. The Common
Vennel, which was then a narrow footway, running east from the lower
Port) to the Newraw.
The only street paved with
causeway stones at this period was the principal street, the High
Streetthen called the Causagait, or Casigate, afterwards Hie Gait and
TRADES IN DUNFERMLINE IN
A.D. 1500.In the first or oldest volume of the Dunf. Burgh Records
(between 1477 and 1500), the following trades are mentioned:--
It does not appear that any
of these trades were incorporated at this period. (Vide notices of Seals
of Cause, in the pages of the Annals.)
elected Alderman, or Provost, of Dunfermline; Robert Swinton, Treasurer.
WEAVING, AND THE WEBB OF
CANNE.In the Burgh Records of this date there is notice taken of a
charge of Christian Marshall against Thomas Wilson for the wrangous
spillyn of anew ebb of canne. (Canvas?)
This comment system requires
you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an
account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or
Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these
companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All
comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator
has approved your comment.