Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed.
Glenora Single Malt Whisky

Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.
Scottish Review

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

Annals of Dunfermline
A.D. 1701 - 1801 - Part 11


 1774.—GREAT SNOW STORMS.—Several MSS. Refer to the great and continued falls of snow in Dunfermline in January and February, 1774.

THE NEW CLOCK—“Yettlin” Weights, &c.—“The Council order John Horn, late Treasurer, to pay James Symsone, Clockmaker, five pounds sterling more upon his receipt to Account of the Town Clock, and the said James Symsone immediately to compleat the Clock, with yettlin paises and sufficient ropes, and to strike upon the present bell.” (Bur. Rec., 5th March, 1774.) “17th March: This day Mr. Symsone offered to the Council to put a minute hand on the East Dial of the clock, if the Council would pay him for the expense of the Dial-plate and hand.” (Burgh Records)

DEATH OF THE REV. THOMAS GILLESPIE.—The Rev. Thomas Gillespie, Minister of the Relief Church, Dunfermline, died on the 19th of January, and in the 22nd year of his ministry in Dunfermline. A biographical note, referring to Mr. Gillespie, states that “he was a very pious and humble man, and greatly beloved by all;” and conclude with—

“Of this blest man, let this just praise be given—
Heaven was in him, before he was in heaven.”

He was interred in the south-east corner of the Old, or North Kirkyard. In 1818 his remains were exhumed, and deposited in the Nave of Dunfermline Abbey Church (north side). A tablet was lately erected over his remains.

WATER SCHEME.—“The whole expenditure on the Water Scheme, from 1764 to 1778, amounted to £1745 13s. 10 3/12d.” (Burgh Records) The old Water Committee of 1765 demitted their office in 1774, and was succeeded by one solely appointed by the Town Council. (Fernie’s Hist. Dunf. p. 14)

URQUHART BULWARK [dyke] built by James Murdoch and Jo. Barclay for 40 shillings.” (MS.)

DISAGREEMENTS IN THE RELIEF CHURCH, &c.—Mr. Fernie, in his History of Dunfermline, p. 37, says:--“After the death of Mr. Gillespie in 1774, his congregation split into two parties—one party continued their connection with the Relief; the other party petitioned the Presbytery to have the Meeting-house converted into a Chapel of Ease.” After five years of litigation on this subject, the prayer of the petition was granted by the General Assembly in 1779.

ROMAN URNS AND COINS FOUND.—In the summer of 1774, on opening up a small “tumulus” on Carneil Hill, three miles west of Dunfermline, several Urns were found containing Cones and Roman Coins. (Mercer’s Hist. Dunf. p. 268)

LITERATURE.—“A Treatise on Temptation,” by the Rev. Thomas Gillespie, late Minister of the Gospel, Dunfermline, was published this year.

NEW STREETS.—Chalmers’s Street, Woodhead Street, and Pittencrieff Street, began to be built in their present form. There were scattered cottages on these sites previous to the opening of the New Bridge in 1770. They were reached by going down back closes under the Tolbooth and back of Collierow, the Back Burn being crossed at several places, either by planks of wood or by stepping-stanes.

ADAM SMITH, the Kirkcaldy Philosopher, enters Dunfermline in Deshabille.—The following is an extract from a MS. Note regarding this celebrated political economist:--

“2nd Sept., 1774: Some Sabbaths since, as the third bell was beginning to ring for the forenoon’s sermon, a stranger man appeared in a reverie on the street in Dunfermline, having on him his small cloathes, a morning gown, and cap, which astonished every one that saw him. He by the ringing of the bells began to rouse up, and was as much astonished at himself as other folks were. It turned out that his name was Mr. Smith, the Kirkcaldy philosopher, who, iin pursuing some severe train of thought for a book he was to publish, had left Kirkcaldy early in the morning, westward, following up his train of thought, and so walked on and on in a half unconscious state to all around, until he got into the streets of Dunfermline, when he was roused out of his reverie by the bells beginning to ring.” (MS. Note)

This was the celebrated Dr. Adam Smith, and the book he was then about to publish was his Wealth of Nations. (See also Dr. Rogers’ Leaves from My Autobiography, pp. 84, 85)

DISTURBANCES IN THE BURGH.—By the minute from the Burgh Records, as under, it will be seen that an enactment was made for the repression of disturbances in the burgh:--

“10th Sept., 1774: This Day it was represented by Provost Wilson that of late there had been great disturbance in this Burgh by Sundries Convocating in a tumultuous manner, and going through with Drums and Colours, hazzaing, and calling out the names of different Gentlemen, and giving abusive names to some of the Inhabitants and others without check.—The Provost and Baillies, by the power vested in them, enact a law to repress these unlawful proceedings.”

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—26th Oct., 1774: John Kirk, merchant, Dunfermline, elected Provost.” This election was conducted amid much squabbling; was voted illegal with many; and by such the majority who voted in favor of Mr. Kirk were designated as “the so-called majority.” Protests and Instruments were taken, but without any result. (Burgh Records)

“DANCES OR BALLS” not to be held in the Town-House.—“28th Dec., 1774: Which Day the Council, by a Majority of votes, Discharged any Public Dances or Balls to be in the Council-House for the future.” (Burgh Records)

1775.—THE NEW CLOCK in the Town-House Steeple appears to have been “set up and put in motion about the beginning of April, 1775.” (MS. Note; also Burgh Records)

IMPROVEMENT OF EDUCATION IN DUNFERMLINE.—“A petition was sent to the council, Signed by Sundries, for a new plan for the Education of the youth in the Burgh.” The Council recommend “a proper plan for ye improvement of ye Education, and to find out a proper fund to encourage men of merit for these offices, and to Report.” MS. Note; also Burgh Records)

“KNABBIE RAW.”—This street previous to this period was a narrow cart-road. It appears from MSS. And Title-Deeds that “it first began to be built in 1775, and for some years was called the Heigh Street” (High Street), owing to its elevated site. In 1805-1807 it was known as Reid Street (from “Deacon Reid”). (An. Dunf. 1809; Act of 1811) After 1807, an Old Note says, the name settled comfortably down to that of the “Knabbie Raw” and “Knabbie Street,” from some one or tow well-to-do weavers having been styled nabobs, or nabbies, by the public. When the street was being named in 1809, it was suggested by some members of the Town Council that the whimsical name of “Knabbie Raw” should be changed to North Bridge Street, “now that a bridge had been thrown over the Laigh Dam, joining the street with the Collierow.” “The Knabbies” objects, and prevailed, and down to 1878 the street was called Knabbie Street. In May, 1878, the name of the street was changed to Carnegie Street, in honour of A. Carnegie, Esq., of New York, a native, who, at his own cost, built the Baths, situated at the south-east corner of the street, and presented the building to the city. (See An. Dunf. date 1877)

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Kirk, merchant, re-elected Provost. (Burgh Records, 30th Sept., 1775) Much discontent again prevailed at this municipal election, and protests were lodged.

THE REBELLION IN AMERICA.—“18th Oct., 1775: Which day the Council agreed to address his Majesty on the Present Rebellion in America, and an address was made out accordingly, and signed by the Provost, in name and by order of the Magistrates and Council.” (Burgh Records)

PATRONAGE OF THE DOCTORSHIP OF THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL.—In the Burgh Records of date 11th December, 1775, there are two pages occupied about the right of patronage of the Doctor or Usher of Dunfermline Grammar School, too long for insertion here.

THE INHABITANTS OF THE ABBEY HOUSES, &C., IN 1775.—The following list will show the names, trades and rents were paid by the indwellers in the Abbey precincts in 1775. These rents were paid annually to Mr. Chalmers of Pittencrieff, the proprietor:--

John Wishart, miller at the Heugh Mills, £30 0 0
David Cant, miller do. 25 0 0
James Anderson, smith do. 0 15 0
James Thomson, indweller, do 0 10 0
John Hutchison, shoemaker, Abbey Close 0 16 8
Elizabeth Gold, at Stark’s do 0 13 4
George Meldrum, baker, a yard at Heugh Mills 0 6 0
James Wardlaw, indweller, 0 11 0
Elizabeth Bruce do 0 10 0
Thomas Mitchel, do 0 0 0
John Hunter, weaver (Pends) 0 5 0
Charles Shorthouse, gravedigger, &c. 0 0 0
Peter Murrie, indweller 0 6 8

“At this period ‘the Pends,’ Queen Ann of Denmark’s House, some old houses in Stark’s Close (foot of St. Catherine’s Wynd), and the Constables and Bailies’ House (near the Kirk Steeple), were inhabited by weavers, tailors, &c., at low rents.” (MS).

THE PILLORY AND THE STOCKS.—According to a MS. Note, “these instruments of ancient justice, which had for ages stood in the High Street, at the tron, were removed in 1775. The pillory cleeks were shortly afterwards securely fixed into the east-front wall of the new town house, above the Blackhole window, where culprits were fixed by the neck (1775-1803.) The stocks are still to the fore,” lying in the garret of the town house, ready for use when required.

COLLIERS’ EMANCIPATION.—The Colliers’ Emancipation Act passed this year, and consequently “toun’s colliers” became freemen. From time immemorial they were property, and exchanged or sold at the will of the owners. They long had the name of “black slaves.”

NEW RELIEF MEETING-HOUSE Founded and Built.—This small plain edifice stood on the site of the present “Gillespie Church,” and had sittings for 520. (Annals of Dunfermline, 1770, 1774, 1790, 1830, 1835, 1876)

UNSEEMLY FRACAS IN THE PARISH CHURCH.—The following note is extracted from the Edinburgh Literary Magazine:

Rev. Mr. Thomson, minister of the Old Church (Dunfermline), delivered a sermon on Psalms xxci. 10: “In whose hands is mischief and their right hand is full of bribes.” In the course of his sermon he dwelt on the sin of bribery in connection with the late Parliamentary election in the town, and in one of his heated climaxes said that “there was one in this assembly, who could not shake himself free of bribes,” and pointing to Mr. Scotland, bawled out, “and thou Robert Scotland art the man! Upon this Mr. Scotland rose up, and looking hard at Mr. Thomson, said in a loud excited voice—“Thou art a liar, thou old military blunderbuss, in the place of verity where thou standeth!!” (The minister had formerly been chaplain of a regiment.) The minister made some confused reply, purporting that he did not care what he (Mr. Scotland) said of him, but that he could prove what he had said.

In the Edinburgh Literary Magazine and Weekly Amusement for 1776 there is the following notice:--

The Court of Session determined the affair of Mr. Thomson, minister of Dunfermline; they found him (Mr. Thomson) liable in five pounds damages to Mr. Scotland, jun., £25 to Mr. Scotland, sen., and fifty guineas of expenses. The Court severely condemned Mr. Scotland’s conduct, and thought the Presbytery blameable in not censuring him.

Another of our notes on this subject remarks, that the “Rev. Mr. Thomson got very easy off in his Court of Session business, and that, “as he was the aggressor, he ought to have been mulct of at least four times the amount.”

JOHN MACKIE, manufacturer of carpets, died this year. “He introduced the Carpet Manufactory into Dunfermline; had a great many looms at work in Rotten Row and Collierow, which gave employment to about 30 persons.” (MS. Note)

WEAVING PATTERNS.—At this period the patterns or devices wrought on table linens in Dunfermline and vicinity were almost invariably the British Flag, the Scottish Arms, and gentlemen’s armorial bearings, flowers, birds and other animals. James Thomson of Drumsheugh, near Edinburgh, supplied the patterns.

URQUHART CUTS AND ROAD.—The new road from Dunfermline, by Pittencrieff Street to the west, was forming in 1775. A MS. Note states that “the deep cutting in the rock, between the town and Urquhart Farm, was accomplished by means of powerful charges of gunpowder.”

1776.—FALL OF SNOW.—The year 1776 “opened on Dunfermline with very heavy falls of snow, which buried the streets to a great depth; then a month’s black frost set in.” (MS. Note)

THE LODGE West End of Bridge Street Founded.—This lodge, afterwards known as the Union Lodge, was founded in the Spring of 1776, and finished end of same year. (MS. Note)

REID’S MORTIFICATION.—“John Reid, Shopkeeper in Dunfermline in 1776, mortified a considerable property in the town for the use of the poor; the management of which was committed to the Provost, Two Bailies, and Dean of Gild, The Two Ministers and Two Elders of the Established Kirk-Session; The Minister and Three Elders of Relief, and Three Elders of the Burgher Congregations. The Guardians, or Trustees, are strictly enjoined to bestow its funds upon such persons as have once been in good worldly circumstances; and the heritors of the Parish are requested to superintend the management. Should a Poor’s House be erected in the parish the trustees are to surrender the property to its directors.” The yearly rental derived from the property in 1827 was £140 sterling. The Deed is dated 17th of April, 1776. (See Mercer’s History of Dunfermline, p. 147)

WEAVING.—Mr. Stark’s Beetling Mills.—Mr. Campbell, manufacturer, retired from business, and was succeeded by Mr. Stark, who this year erected Beetling Mils and other “appliances” at Brucefield, near Dunfermline. (MSS. and “L.W.”)

REV. JAMES HUSBAND (afterwards D.D.) was ordained Colleague and Successor to Rev. John Smith, Secession Church, Queen Ann Street. (MS. Note)

JAMES CHRISTIE, Schoolmaster of Kennoway, was on 10th July, 1776, elected Master of the Song School, Dunfermline. (Burgh Records) He shortly afterwards opened a Music Class in the Mason Lodge, at the Mill Port, Collier Row, top of Bruce Street; at same time he had a Day School there. He died in the month of September, 1817.

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Kirk, merchant, was elected Provost. (Burgh Records, 30th Sept., 1776)

PRESENTATION PORTRAIT—Large Likeness in Oil of George Chalmers, Esq., of Pittencrieff, December, 1776.—The expenses of this large oil painting and framing of George Chalmers, of Pittencrieff, was defrayed by public subscription. The painting was, at the time it was executed, highly praised as a faithful likeness. Mr. Chalmers is represented in a sitting posture, with a view of Dunfermline Monastery on the left of him. At foot, on a small projecting panel, is the following inscription:--

“To the Memory of George Chalmers, late of Pittencrieff, Esquire. The neighbourhood that knew his worth, and the town of Dunfermline, which, by sound intelligence and liberal improvement, combined with public spirit, he Benefited as well as Adorned, Erect this Memorial of his Virtue and Esteem, 1776.”

The likeness adorns the wall of the Council Chambers, Town House.

1777.—THE NEW WEST ROAD Opened to Urquhart Cuts.—This new road from Dunfermline to the west, by Pittencrieff Street, Urquhart Cuts, &c., which had been forming since the end of the year 1774, was opened for traffic in January 1777, and thoroughly opened to Crossford in 1780. (Vide An. Dunf. of the date.)

RELIEF CHURCH.—Rev. James Smith was ordained minister of the Relief Church in Dunfermline in 1777. He afterwards joined the Established Church. He was translated to Chapelshade Church, Dundee, in 1790. He was the author of “Historical Sketches of the Relief Church.” (MS.)

DEPRESSION IN THE WEAVING TRADE.—An Old MS. Note states that the weaving trade in Dunfermline, in 1777, began “to suffer great depression, owing to the late American war, which occasioned slack trade, poverty and much distress.”

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Kirk, merchant. (Burgh Records, 29th Sept., 1777.)

A SPADE MANUFACTORY was established in 1777 at the lower end of the Heugh Mills, by James Anderson, blacksmith. “A good trade in this kind was carried on for some years, and gave employment to a number of hands.” (MS. Note.)

1778.—FUNERAL ETIQUETTE.—“28TH March, 1778: This day the Council, upon a petition from the Convener Court, agree that the town officers shall wear the Black bands or sashes provided by the said Conveener Court, at the burials of all Deacons or Deacons’ wives or widows, in time coming, and authorize the officers accordingly.” (Bur. Rec.)

WEAVING—Fly-Shuttle Invented.—Early in the year 1778, Mr. John Wilson, Dunfermline, completed his invention of the fly-shuttle, thus introducing “a new epoch in the art of Weaving.” “Before this period, while weaving broad webs, the shuttle was thrown by one man and catched on the other side by another, while the weaver on the loom performed his part. By using this new invention, Drawn Dornock [single diaper] got the name of Machine Dornock and the Machine itself that of the Diaper Dornock.” For this invention Mr. Wilson received £20 from the Edinburgh Board of Trustees, and was made a free burgess of Dunfermline on 10th January, 1780. (See An. Dunf. 10th Jan., 1780; also date 1826)

LITERATURE.—The select works of Lady Halket, who died in Dunfermline in 1699, were this year (1778) published in Edinburgh. They are as follows:--An 8vo vol. of 168 pages, entitled, “Meditations of the Twenty-fifth Psalm;” “Meditations and Prayers upon the First Week, with Observations on Each Day’s Creation;” “Instructions for Youth,” to which is prefixed an account of her life. The publishers were Bayne & Mennons. (See Am. Dunf. date 1699.) The writer has a copy of this rare work.

WEAVING—Mr. Stark.—According to an Old MS. Note, there were only eighteen damask looms at work in Dunfermline in June 1778. Mr. Mark Stark commenced the manufacturing of table-linen about this period, and had three damask looms in operation in an old house near the ruins of St. Leonard’s Hospital.

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—David Turnbull, merchant, elected Provost. (Burgh Records, 28th Sept., 1778)

THE FOOT-PATH (Fit-paith.)—“At this period (1778) a road was completed leading from the west end of Bridge Street to Golfdrum. The road was afterwards widened and built upon. All the way up on the east side a kind of foot-way was laid out and paved with coarse boulders. This way or road was known by the homely name of the fit-paith, which name it retained till after the beginning of the present century, when the paith began to be known as Chalmers Street and Woodhead Street.” (MS. by J.L.)

1779.—THE POPISH BILL.—29th Jan., 1779: This day the Town Council resolved to petition both Houses of Parliament against this Bill, proposed to be brought before Parliament. (Burgh Records)

THE GRAMMER SCHOOL.—“Mr. John Jesson, schoolmaster, of Cupar-in-Fife, was on April 23d elected Usher of Doctor of the Grammar School, Dunfermline.” (Burgh Rec.)

WEAVING LANDSCAPES, &c.—An Old Note states that landscapes and old castles were first wrought on Dunfermline table-line by the weavers in 1779.

THE PAUL JONES PANIC.—In the autumn of this year there was great excitement in Dunfermline and vicinity, as also among the inhabitants along the shores of both sides of the Forth, from a “threatened bombardment and invasion by Paul Jones and his vile crew.” About 300 of the valiant men of Dunfermline “clubbed and armed themselves,” to be ready to give him battle. “Inchgarvie, in the Forth, was strengthened, and some heavy cannon placed in position on its ramparts.” Paul did no business in the Forth, and the panic subsided. (MS.)

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—David Turnbull, merchant, re-elected Provost. (Burgh Records, 27th Sept., 1779)

ST. LEONARD’S CHAPEL.—An Old Note, dated November, 1779, states that “the walls of this venerable building were entire, but they were tottering to their fall.” (See the several notices of St. Leonard’s in An. Dunf. and date 1798.)

TABERNACLE or Independent Congregation.—“This congregation was formed in 1779, in connection with Mr. David Dale of Glasgow. Their meeting-house, in Woodhead Street, was called The Tabernacle, built in 1779-1780.” (MS. Note.)

1780.-CHAPEL CHURCH—Ordination of the Rev, John Monteith.—On the 20th February, 1780, the Rev. John Monteith was ordained minister of the new Chapel of Ease, Dunfermline.

FREEDOM OF THE BURGH—John Wilson, Inventor of the Fly-Shuttle in Weaving, made a Free Burgess of the Burgh.—“26th Feb., 1780: Which day the Council, upon ya application from the Incorporation of Weavers, agree the John Wilson, weaver in Abby Parks of Dunfermline, be admitted a burgess of this Burgh, Gratis, for his ingenuity in finding out some valuable improvement in the weaving of Diaper.” (Burgh Records)

ROMAN CATHOLIC BILL.—At this time there existed “an unpleasant and discontented feeling in the toun and country-side anent the proposed repeal of the Roman Catholic Bill.” (MS.)

WEST END OF “IN-BELOW-TH-WA’AS,” now known since 1811 as Abbott Street, had only one house in the Street in 1780, which had just then been finished on the widened road there.” (MS. Note.)

PATTIE-MUIR AND LIMEKILNS SOCIETY.—This society was instituted in the summer 1780. (Fernie’s Hist. Dunf. p. 52, and MS. Note)

BRIDGE STREET BAPTIST CHURCH.—“A small congregation of Baptists was formed in 1780, and worshipped in the lodge, west end of Bridge Street, south side. Their number did not exceed 50.” (MS. Note; Mercer’s Hist. Dunf. p. 134)

WEST PORT—St. Catherine’s Wynd Removed, 1780.—According to an Old Memorandum Note, “the new road along Bridge Street to the west being now thoroughly opened up, the old road by Tower Hill was abandoned, and the West Port, in St. Catherine’s Wynd, which had for many years been in a ruinous and very dangerous state, was removed in 1780. (See An. Dunf. 1765) This was the oldest port of the Burgh, so far as is known. It is nemtioned in a charter in Registrum de Dunfermelyn, under date 1327, in connection with St. Catherine’s Chapel and Elemosynary (Alms House), which stood adjacent a few yards south-west, viz., “the elimosinaria, or alms-house outside of the port adjacent to the chapel of St. Catherine.” (Regist. Dunf. No. 370, p. 253; An. Dunf. 1327, 1566, 1765; for other Ports, see 1488, 1585, 1735, 1745, 1752.) The West Port or “West Entrie”, was a lofty but narrow edifice; the archway on the street was about eleven feet in height, but only seven feet in breadth; above the archway there was an apartment known by the name of “the Cross Chamber,” which was entered by a door in its wall facing the kirkyard; the height of the building from the street to the top of the roof, according to an Old Note, was twenty-nine feet.

The above view of the Port and adjacent buildings is taken from an old sketch by J. Burlans in our possession.

Immediately above the archway, north side, there was above the “key-stane” a small square stone, on which were cut the figures of two men supporting a stag’s head, “supposed to refer to David I., and his escape from a stag in early life.” The following cut represents the carving on this stone, which was, till lately, seen in the front of an old house in St. Catherine’s Wynd.

Thus was swept away the first and the last remaining of the Ports of “Burgo de Dunfermlyn,” and the last visible landmark of the boundary of the burgh. The old burgh was confined within the small area bounded by the Mill Port, Cross Wynd Port, East Port, and this West Port, including, probably, the yards or gardens outside the backs of the houses.

POPULATION, WEAVING, &C.—According to a manuscript in our possession, there were “8690 souls in the town and Parish of Dunfermline, and the amount of money produced yearly by weaving of diapers, &c., in computed at £45,750.” (MS.)



CAMERONIAN KIRK.—This kirk, founded in 1779, was finished and opened for worship in the summer of 1780. “About the year 1790 it was turned into a Macmillan Kirk.” In 1816 the Lancasterian School was held in it; John Preacher, master. In 1823 the building was acquired by the Burgh, and has since been known as Rolland Street School. (MS. Note)

“VIEW OF THE ROYAL PALACE AND ABBEY OF DUNFERMLING, published by G. Kearsly, Fleet Street, London, June 1, 1780.”—This is a very fine View, showing the outside wall of the palace, with a small part of the old bastion, “which top’d the wall;” also, the old foot or bridle road which led along its base to Tower Hill. The “Pends,” or Gatehouse, and entrance to the Magazine, is in the centre; toward the right a few of the Frater Hall windows are shown, with tracing in them; and behind, in the distance, the top of the Fratery Tower, and the upper part of the Auld Kirk Steeple. This is a valuable print, and is extremely scarce; size 8 inches by 6. We have a copy in our possession.

SEARCH FOR SILVER IN THE FERRY HILLS.—According to an Old MS. Note, some private gentlemen in Edinburgh sent over one or two labourers to the Ferry Hills to tap them for silver in 1780, but without results.

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—David Turnbull, merchant, re-elected Provost. (Burgh Records, Sept., 1780)

THE TOWN MUIR PLANTED WITH TREES.—A Burgh Record Minute notifies that the planting of trees in the Muir was completed on 30th Dec., 1780, by Mathew Richmond, Seedsman, Edinburgh.

THE REV. JOHN SMITH, Minister of the Secession Church, Backside, Queen Ann Street, died on 7th December, 1780, aged fifty eight years, and the thirty fifth year of ministry. He was minister in Jedburgh for twenty seven years, and eight in Dunfermline. (See An. Dunf. date 1752)

THE BEST INN IN THE BURGH.—“In 1780 the best Inn in Dunfermline was the house in the north west corner of Bridge Street, kept by Robert Staig, Innkeeper.” (MS. Note)

TANWORKS.—In an old writ the tanworks at Damhead are mentioned. They were possessed by Alex. Pearson, at a rental of £9 15s.


Return to Book Index

 


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus

Quantcast