Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

Annals of Dunfermline
A.D. 1701 - 1801 - Part 13


  1789.—ORDINATION, PARISH CHURCH.—Rev. John Fernie, son of the late Rev. Thomas Fernie, was ordained Minister of the Second Charge, Parish Church, on l10th February, 1789. (Fer. Dunf. p. 36; See An. Dunf. date 1816.)

 

  DUNFERMLINE LIBRARY Established on 26th February 1789.-- "The books to be the property of the Subscribers;" a subscription of lOs. 6d. entitled a person to a share in the property and general  management. The annual subscription was fixed at 5s. (Fer. Hist. Dunf. p. 43; also the other Hist. Dunf)

 

  SCHOOLMASTERS.—According to a note, there were four School-masters in Dunfermline in 1789, viz., Mr. Dewar, Mr. Ramsay, Mr. Jesson, Mr. Reid, and Mr. Christie, with "ane or twa auld men and women who taught ABC lessons and the Single book."

 

   CHALMERS STREET CHURCH BUILT.—The first original church, then known as the "Antiburgher Kirk in the fit-paith," was built this year, 1789. The members of this small congregation got a disjunction from their connection with that of Cairneyhill early in 1788. The following is a View of the Kirk from the south-west, taken from a Photograph, by A. P. Taylor, shortly before its removal in 1861 :—

 

 

It will be observed that this Kirk is in " the barn style of architecture," similar to those of its lately-removed neighbours in town, viz., the Chapel, the Relief, and the Auld Licht Kirks. (An. Dunf. 1861.)

 

  WEAVING PATTERNS, &c.—The weaving of flowers, shrubs, trees, birds, animals, landscapes, &c., began in Dunfermline during the year 1789, from patterns drawn by native artists. (MS. Note.)

 

  COAL PIT AT HALBEATH.—A coal pit was sunk on the towns property at Halbeath, two and a-half miles north-east of Dunfermline. (MS. Note.)

 

  STEAM ENGINES AND PATRICK' MILLER OF DALSWINTON.— It would appear from an Old Note that the celebrated Patrick Miller, the reputed inventor of the steam-boat, along with his ingenious assistant, Symington, were in Dunfermline in June 1789, by invitation, for the purpose of considering the propriety of erecting about to be erected at Brucefield. The following note written by this eminent man is now the only memorial extant of this visit:—

 

    To the Carron Comfafiy.              Dunfermline 6th June, 1789.

 

  Gentlemen—The bearer, Mr. William Symington, is employed by me to   erect a steam engine, for a double vessel, which he proposes to have made at   Carron. I have, therefore, to beg that you will order the engine to be made according to his directions. As it is of importance that the experiment should be made soon, I beg also that you will assist him by your orders to the proper workman, in having it done expeditiously. I am ever, with great regard, gentlemen, your most obedient humble servant, PATRICK MILLER. {Vide also Glasgow Mech.. Mag. vol. iii. pp. 443-446.)

 

In due time steam engines were erected at Halbeath and at Brucefield.

 

  REGARDING THE BUYING OF BUTTER AND CHEESE.—"4th July, 1789: The council enact that no Hucksters or Retailers buy Butter or Cheese at the trone before 8 o'clock morning." (Burgh Records.) This act was for giving the inhabitants a chance of getting these articles at a cheaper rate, if purchased before eight o'clock in the morning.

 

  WEAVING.—An Old Note states that Mr. Alexander Bonnar, weaver, Wooer's Alley, had in his workshop at this period workmen who afterwards became eminent table-linen manufacturers; his shop was a regular nursery for high-class weavers.

 

  PROVOST OE DUNFERMLINE.—John Wilson, merchant, elected Provost. {Burgh Records, 28th Sept., 1789.)

 

  ANTIBURGHER KIRK ORDINATION.—The Rev. David Black was ordained minister of the Antiburgher Kirk, Chalmers Street, on 27th Oct., 1789; stipend, £130. (MS. Note; see An. Dunf. date 1824.)

 

  SMART SHOCK OF EARTHQUAKE.—"On the 5th of November this year, 1789, between 5 and 6 in the morning, a very smart shock of an earthquake was felt in Dunfermline and in the western district of Fife generally. The furniture in many of the houses was displaced, crockery ware on shelves thrown down, and not a few clocks stopped going.- (MSS.)

 

  1790.—THE ROAD THROUGH THE KIRKVARD CLOSED.—"The old foot-road, from the east end of the Maygate, through the North Kirkyard, and down steps at the Bowling-green to Bee Alley Gardens and Monastery Street, was closed early in 1790." (MS.) The sunk gardens at the east end of Frater Hall wall, between the Bowling-green and the Mills, into which the road descended, were then known as "the Bee Alley Gardens',' probably a corruption of Bailie Gardens. They were once the property of Mr. Black, clerk and bailie of the ancient regality of Dunfermline.

 

  HUTTON'S MORTIFICATION.—" On 10th January, John Hutton mortified into the hands of the Town Council £50, the interest of which to be dealt out to the poor annually." (Burgh Records.)

 

  RELIEF CHURCH.—"The Rev. James Smith, minister of the Relief Church, Dunfermline, ceased his connection with the Relief body, early in 1790, joined the Established Church, and was inducted minister of the Chapelshade Church, Dundee, April 1790." (MS.)

 

  TOLL BARS were first erected at Town Green, Spittal, Limekilns Road, Baldridge Burn, and end of Pittencrieff Street, August, 1790. {Burgh Records, and MS. Note.}

 

  BAINE'S "PEN-AND-INK" SKETCHES OF THE ABBEY CHURCH, &C.—In the months of May and June, 1790, Mr. John Baine, civil engineer, Edinburgh, made his temporary residence in Dunfermline, for the special purpose of making accurate drawings and taking correct measurements of the Abbey Church, the Psalter-Church ruins adjoining it on the east, the Prater Hall, the Royal Ovens, the Palace and Tower ruins on Tower Hill, &c. Baine also made a ground plan of the Abbey and Palace ruins, and likewise a plan of Dunfermline streets—the first on record. All these sketches, in pen and ink, are bound, and make a small thin quarto volume of about thirty pages, which is and has long been in the possession of David Laing, Esq., LL.D., Edinburgh, from whom we had the loan of it for a short time in 1855.

 

  JOHNIE CAMERON, the Last of the Penny- Wedding Fiddlers, died this year. A note informs us that " the celebrated Johnie Cameron, the old penny-wedding fiddler, died in the year 1790," and that he had " officiated as fiddler at penny weddings for upwards of half-a-century through the town and country side." He was a jovial old man, and " could crack a good joke and sing a side-splitting song to the life; his fiddle-arm, with the bow, danced about like a miracle on the fiddle ; his eyes took motion, and the whole man quivered when in full song."

 

  THE REV. JAMES THOMSON, Minister of the First Charge, Parish Church, Dunfermline, died on Oct. 19, 1790, in the ninety-second year of his age, and forty-seventh of his ministry in Dunfermline. Previous to his induction in Dunfermline, in 1743, he had been chaplain for fourteen years in the Cameronian Regiment of Foot. At his death he bequeathed £100 for the benefit of the poor of the parish, the interest of which sum was to be distributed yearly to the poor on the 3ist January. {Fernie's Hist. Dunf. pp. 33, 35, &c.)

 

  ASTRONOMICAL CLOCK, made by John Hunter, Tailor, Dunfermline.—We have several notes on this clock and other machines made by this ingenious tailor. Regarding the clock, a note states that "the frame and the axles of the wheels were made of wood, and also the dial, on which were 24 hours, and a number of indexes, or hands. The wheels were made of large buttons. It showed the minutes and hours of the day and night, the rising and setting of the sun, the daily motion of the moon, the rise and fall of the tides at Limekilns, and the day of the month. From '1790,' being scratched on the works, it would seem to have been made this year." Another note states that he made a "hand-machine" to show the tides and to predict them, and, like the clock, "most of the wheels were made of the very large coat-buttons of the period. He also used such buttons to make the wheels of clocks in his clock-making operations, of which he made several." He died at an advanced age, in 1812.

 

  DUNFERMLINE REGALITY RECORDS. — In clearing away the rubbish out of the garret of an old house in East Netherton Street, in the summer of 1790, no less than thirty-six MS. volumes of the Regality Court Records of Dunfermline were found during the clearance. Shortly afterwards they were bound, and are now in custody of the Town-Clerk of Dunfermline; they are half-bound, and in excellent preservation. (An. Dunf. date 1621.)

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Wilson, merchant, re-elected Provost. (Burgh Records, 27th September, 1790)

 

  THE DEAD-BELL AND ROBERT WALKER.—From time immemorial down to the end of the year 1790, intimations of death and burial were proclaimed through Dunfermline by the bell-man with the hand dead-bell. In 1790 dead-bell intimations to burials ceased. "Bobie Walker," a big burly man, was the last dead-bell-man. In perambulating the streets, he made halts at certain places, rang his bell, and spoke as follows :—" All ye brethren and sisters, I let ye to wot—that Davit Thamson departed this life at the pleasure of the'Almighty at sax o'clock this morning, and all who can conveniently attend the burial from his house on Saturday, at two o'clock in the afternoon, the honour of their company is respectfully invited." When he pronounced "Almighty," he made a low bow. When a female's death was announced, as a matter of course her name would be given. The friends of the deceased, at the sound of the dead-hand-bell, repaired to the house of mourning, where they were entertained, and the usual ceremonies of a Scotch wake were gone through. By act of the Town Council, date loth December, 1757, the fee for proclaiming the death, and jnviting to the funeral of an elderly person, was one shilling, and eightpence for children. In iV^rum^1 litters ..began to be printed and circulated in Dunfermline, which, along with the more frequent use of the Tolbooth bell, the dead-bell calls were superseded. The writer has in his possession one of these early funeral letters, dated in 1792; it intimates the day and hour of the decease, and day and hour of the funeral.

 

 

 The above figure of the last Dead-bell-man is a reduced copy from a sketch by "J. Burlans, teacher of drawing, Dunfermline, 1789."

 

  RELIEF CHURCH—Rev. Henry Fergus.—"On the 7th October, 1790, the Rev. Henry Fergus was ordained minister of the Relief Meeting-House, Dunfermline." (MS. Note.)

 

  CAPTAIN FRANCIS GROSE, the Antiquary, in Dunfermline.—ln the year 1790, the celebrated Captain Francis Grose, the Antiquary, visited Dunfermline, along with his artist, to take drawings of the Abbey ruins, and to collect notes for the article on Dunfermline in his second volume of The Antiquities of Scotland, published in 1797. Grose, in this volume of The Antiquities, has three very excellent quarto views of the ruins, &c., of the Abbey and Monastery of Dunfermline from copper plates, the letterpress descriptions of which are comprised within three quarto pages, and are not free of errors. Grose describes his three views as under:—

 

    "1.—This plate gives a general view of these magnificent ruins. The building opposite, on the left, is the Fratery; to the right of it is the Church and the scattered arches and windows. On the right of all is said to be the burial-place of some of the kings."

 

    "2.—This view shows the north-side of the Church and Palace, called the King's House [Queen's House], drawn from a chamber-window in the new inn.

 

    "3.—This view shows the beautiful window of the Fratery or Refectory, viewed on the outside, and its adjoining gate. It was, with the other views of this Abbey, drawn A.D. 1790."

 

The letterpress description is short and meagre. The Captain appears to have had before him, when he wrote his descriptions, a copy of Pennant's "Tour Through Scotland."   (See Grose's Antiquities of Scotland, vol. ii. pp. 285-288.)

 

  1791,—NEW BACHELOR SOCIETY.—A friendly society, named "The New Bachelor Society," was established in 1791. {Fernies Hist. Dunf. p. 52.)

 

  POPULATION RETURNS.—According to an old statistical account, in 1791 Dunfermline contained 5192 inhabitants. Town and parish, 9450; Limekilns, 658; Charlestown, 487; Mastertown, 116; Cross-gates, 24; Carnock Parish, 970.

 

  THE WITCH DUB Partially Filled Up.—" The Witch Dub, at the foot of the Witch Loan, was to a great extent filled up early in 1791. It was about 100 yards in circumference, and in the deepest parts from 6 to 10 feet deep." (MS. Note.) In this dub many a poor innocent wretch was ducked and "drowndit at the -will of the Judges" between 1580 and 1690.

 

  CALEY'S VIEW OF DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, 1791.—In the year 1791, Captain Caley published a series of views of old castles, abbeys, churches, &c.—thirty-six in all—with short descriptive notes on each view. His view of Dunfermline Abbey has been taken from the Old West Road, considerably to the west of Towerhill Bridge. The features of the said view are small and defective. On the extreme right is part of the walls of the King's kitchen. Next to them are "the Pends;" and, in order to show the great west window of the Frater-hall, he has removed the Palace wall entirely. In the centre of the picture stands an incorrect view of the Church steeple. In the foreground of the group of buildings stands the lofty building known as "the Queen's House," and to the left is a group of "unknown walls." The rest of the view, especially on the left, is filled up with trees. Dunfermline view is No. $ in the series. The following are a few extracts from Caley's short description :—

 

    " Dunfermline, in Fifeshire, at different times has been the residence of the Scottish monarchs. Malcolm Canmore lived here in a castle on the top of an insulated hill. A palace was afterwards built nearer the town, ' the walls of which were almost-entire in 1730, and some of the furniture remaining.' The Church or Abbey was begun by Malcolm Canmore, and finished by Alexander I. It was probably first intended for the pious and more useful purpose of a religious infirmary, being styled in some old manuscripts, Monasterium Infirmonwi. [See Appendix, of Annals of Dunf.'} Part of the church is at present in use. After this place became a royal residence, the celebrated lona lost the honour of being the Cemetery of the Scottish monarchs."

 

  Like Captain Grose, Captain Caley appears to have been "much indebted to Pennant's- Tour for these details. Caley, in his "Thirty-Six Views of Scotland," has a very fine north view of Rosyth Castle —"one of the best in his work."

 

  STEEL YARD.—A steel yard, "for weighing Cart loads and other goods," was purchased by the town and placed near the flesh-market, August, 1791. (Burgh Records.)

 

  THE TOWN HOUSE OR TOLBOOTH.—" The new tolbooth had, almost from the day it was finished, been a source of complaint, in consequence of its being too small. On 27th August, 1791, the Council resolved to employ John Chalmers, architect, or some other proper person, to make out a Plan and estimate for adding a storey or two to the present building." (Burgh Records) Nothing seems to have been done in this matter until March, 1793.

 

  CAIRNEYHILL KIRK.—The Rev. Thomas Blair, from Kilmarnock, was ordained minister of this church on i3th Sept., 1791, as successor to the Rev. James Burt. (See An. Dunf. date 1755.)

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Wilson, elected. {Burgh Records, 26th Sept., 1791.)

 

  1792.—NUMBER OF WEAVING LOOMS.—There were 1200 looms employed in the weaving trade in Dunfermline in the year 1792. {Fernie's Hist. Dunf. p. 55.)

 

  JUKE'S VIEW OF DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, Monastery, Palace, and the Mills.—This is a splendid view, and the largest that has ever been published of Dunfermline ruins. It is 24 inches in length by 15 3/4 in breadth, and has been taken from a point near the foot of "the Sheeling-hill," near the burn, about 100 yards south of the mill in Monastery Street. This fine large engraving is entitled, "Abbey and Palace of Dumfermline : drawn in 1788 by J. Farington, R.A. ; engraved by C. Cation, junior, and published in London, 1st February, 1792, by F. Juke, No. 10 Howland Street (price 10s, 6d.)." This print is now very scarce. Only three copies are known to be in Dunfermline parish. One is in the possession of the writer.

 

  THE TOWN GREEN PLANTED AND LAID OUT.—" The town green, a quarter of a mile east of Dunfermline, was in 1792 planted with firtrees." (MS. Note.) After this period the Green "began to be laid

out with a fine walk round it, and other improvements." (See An. Dunf. 5th Sept., 1795.)

 

  BLUE-GOWN BEGGARS—Lead Badges.—This year "a considerable number of lead badges were cast for privileged beggars, to fix on the right hand arm of their blue gowns or coats, to show their right to beg." The lead badge of one of "the privileged " is in our possession. It is circular, three inches in diameter, and has round the circumference, in large capital letters, " DUNFERMLINE PARISH," and in the centre space, "No. 13—1792." The last blue-gown was James Hutchison, alias "Curdugan," who died about 1821.

 

  BRUCEFIELD FLAX MILL ERECTED, 1792.—This flax mill was erected at Brucefield, about a mile south-east of Dunfermline, in 1792. This mill gave employment to a great many hands; it was burnt down in October 1825, and then operations ceased. It was, it is said, the second mill of the kind in Scotland which obtained a patent for spinning by steam machinery. The flax spun at this mill was from 2 to 4 lbs, per spindle, chiefly used in the manufacture of table linen; 150 men, women, boys, and girls employed. (MS. Note.) Mr. Mark Stark was proprietor of the mill, George Rontree, foreman; Mr. Stark had also a bleachfield here, and walk and beetling mills. (See An. Dunf. dates 1776, 1806, and 1825.)

 

  THE CHAPEL KIRK.—The Rev. James Robertson was inducted minister of the Chapel Kirk, Dunfermline, on the 6th June, 1792, in room of the Rev. Allan M'Lean, translated to the First Charge of Dunfermline Parish Church, June, 1791.

 

  THE ANTIBURGIIER GREEN LAID OUT INTO STEPS.—The green at the back of the Antiburgher Kirk, and belonging to it, is very steep; this year it was laid out in a series of steps from north to south, with a level space at the foot of the declivity, above the burn. This was done for the accommodation of the hearers at the tent-preachings on sacramental occasions; the hearers sat closely packed on the green steps; the tent was erected on the level part before noted; thus the congregation sat in comfort, looking down on the preacher. On some occasions it has been estimated that there were at least 1200 persons sitting on the steps during sermon.  (MS. Note.)

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—James Moodie was re-elected, 1st October. (Burgh Records.) In consequence of the death of John Wilson, the Provost, in May, 1792, James Moodie was then elected Provost in his stead, and, by the Constitution of Royal Burghs of 1724, had to stand an election again at the usual time—the end of September, 1792.

 

  1793.—THE CROSSWYND, a "Confused" Street and in Bad Condition.—"5th Jan., 1793: The Council considering the state of the Crosswynd Street to be very bad and much confused in breadth, they appoint a committee of their number to converse with the heritors of the houses on each side of the street about purchasing their fore shots and report." (Burgh Records.) An old note informs us that at and after this period "the off-shot stairs in the Crosswynd projected from the fronts of the houses so far upon the street, as to leave only about six feet of a space in the middle for traffic." This being the case, Burns' "twa wheel-barrows" would "tremble when they met."

 

  THE TOWN HOUSE—Preparing for Two Storeys being added to it.—Early in March, 1793, preparations were being made for adding two storeys to the Town House. On 30th March, 1793, the Burgh Records notify that "the roof was now taken off, and the prisoners placed in apartments in the sunk storey."

 

  THE SETT OR CONSTITUTION OF THE BURGH written out by the Town-Clerk, by official command, and sent to the House of Commons. (MSS.)

 

  DISBURSEMENTS TO THE POOR.—The Kirk-Session of the Parish Church disbursed to the poor of the parish between 7th April, 1792. and 7th April, 1793, the sum of £96 5s. 8d.—forty-nine poor on the roll. {Fer. Hist. Dunf. p. 46.)

 

  THE ANCIENT SOCIETY OF WEAVERS became a Friendly Society in 1793.—"Its affairs are managed by a preses and committee of twelve members, and the terms of entry are 2s. 6d. and is, quarterly. At the death of a member, his representative receives £1 10s.; at the death of a wife, £l; widows have l6s. yearly, and is. weekly if in distress; in 1826 there were 275 members." (Mercer's Hist. Dunf. P. 143.)

 

  ANDREW DONALDSON, a man of great ability, but of eccentric life, died in 1793. In early life he studied for the ministry, but did not follow out the profession in consequence of some scruple. He had for a very long period of his life a school in Dunfermline. In "Kay's Edinburgh Portraits" there is a portrait of him, and a short memoir. He appears to have been about eighty years of age at his death. The following is on his grave-stone in Dunfermline Churchyard :—"Here lies ANDREW DONALDSON, a sincere Christian and good Scholar, who died 21st June, 1793, aged 80." (For a short account of this worthy but eccentric man, see Chalmers's History of Dunfermline, vol. i. pp. 314-316.)

 

  REFORM.—A manuscript note says that at this time there was "much political excitement, and sometimes violence, in Dunfermline in the cause of reform." During the same period "recruiting parties of soldiers were seldom absent from the town."

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—James Moodie, re-elected Provost, 30th Sept., 1793. (Burgh Records.)

 

  A STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF DUNFERMLINE PARISH was this year conjointly written by the Revs. Messrs. M'Lean and Fernie for Sir John Sinclair's "Statistical Account of Scotland." (MS. Note.)

 

  TOWN GREEN WALKS, &c.—"A number of workmen were employed on the town green in November, making a walk round it, and planting more trees." (MS. Note.)

 

  GREAT SNOW STORM.—In some of our manuscript notes allusion is made to " a tremendous fall of snow," which occurred near the end of December, 1793. The snow, it seems, was breast-high in the streets, and outside traffic " was for some length of time at an end."

 

  1794.—" FRIENDS OF THE PEOPLE."—A secret political society under this name was formed in Dunfermline early in 1794. "Such sort of societies were then common in Scotland and England." As in other places, the Friends in Dunfermline were incognomen, and met in the school at Maygate, taught by Adam Dickson, who acted as secretary under the name of Cato. The Friends had the whole of Pittencrieff estate mapped off and allotted amongst its members. (MS. Note.) The then French uprising, and Tom Paine's "Age of Reason," brought such chimerical societies into existence.

 

  SKATING ON CLAYACRES LOCH.—An old note says that " Clay-acres Loch was much resorted to for curling, sliding, and skating, and had been so from time immemorial until 1794, when it at last became so dry that it became useless." These acres are called the humid acres in the Register of Dunfermline.

 

  SHAW'S MONUMENTAL TOMB REMOVED,—" In the summer of the year 1794 this fine old tomb was removed from its site behind the pulpit-pillar to the foot of the steeple, in order to allow a larger window to be made in the north wall of the kirk, for throwing more light on the minister's bible." (MS. Note; Fernie's Hist. Dunf. p. 91.)

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—James Moodie, re-elected Provost 29th Sept., 1794. (Burgh Records.)

 

  Six NEW LAMPS were, on the 21st October, ordered to be bought for the use of the town.

 

  LITERATURE.—The " Orations on Various Select Subjects," by John Grub, schoolmaster, Wemyss, Fife, were edited and published in 1794, by Robert Wilson, Dunfermline. l2mo, boards, 2s. (Stevenson's Edin. Catal. 1870.)

 

  "CAPTAIN MITCHELL, of The Hill, near Dunfermline, raised to the rank of Rear-Admiral of the Blue." (MS. Note; also An. Dunf. date 1799.) .

 

  A DRYING HOUSE was built, by order of the Town Council, at the back of the " Toon's Boilin' Hoose," Mill Port, for the use of the lieges.

 

  1795—GREAT SNOW STORM.—"The year 1795 began in the midst of a great snow storm and boisterous wind. It began to snow on December 26th, and continued to snow until January 4th, when every street and place in Dunfermline were covered with snow to a depth of 10 or 12 feet." (MS. Note.)

 

  GREAT DEARTH.—" Dunfermline, like other places, was visited by the dearth in 1795. Meal was sold from the lower east window of the tolbooth at 3s. 6d. per peck. The Girnel, in Queen Ann Street, where the cargo of meal was lying, was guarded by a soldier, who walked before the door with loaded gun and sprung bayonet." (MS. Note.)                 

 

  THE TOWN GREEN.-—The walk around the Town Green; the sunk stone-wall inside the walk; the pond, &c., were all completed this year. {Burgh Records, 5th September, 1795.) The "fine walk round the green" measured 1345 yards, and was long used from "early morn till late at night." "The walkers " estimated that four times round the walk was "just three miles." (Note.)

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—James Moodie, re-elected Provost 28th Sept., 1795. (Burgh Records.)

 

  THE DUNFERMLINE FENCIBLES.—According to a minute in the Burgh Records of date 11th December, 1795, the Dunfermline Fencibles were then being raised.                  •

 

  THE TOWN-HOUSE.—The building of the two additional storeys to the Town-House began in July, 1793, and appear to have been finished early in January, 1795, with the exception of the plastering and other details, which were not completed until March, 1795. The clock was fitted up in the new clock turret by Matthew Parker, clockmaker, Dunfermline in January, 1795. (MS. Note; also Burgh Records, I793, I794, I795; for "number and dimensions of the new rooms in these two additional stories, see Fernie's History of Dunf. p. 18, &c.) Instead of giving a view of the Town-house under date 1772, it was thought by some of our friends, that a view of the completed edifice, placed under date 1795, would be more appreciated, and more appropriate, as it would show the aspect of the Town-house in its complete state from 1795 to 1876, as it appeared to our fathers and grand-fathers.  We have complied with this wish, and here present the reader with an excellent view of the recently removed building, taken

 

 

 

from E.N.E. on the High Street, from a photograph by A. P. Taylor, Dunfermline, which he took shortly before the edifice was removed.  (Vide An. Dunf. date 1876)


Return to Book Index

 


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus

Quantcast