Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed.
Glenora Single Malt Whisky

Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.
Scottish Review

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

Annals of Dunfermline
A.D. 1701 - 1801 - Part 9


  1790.—THE CHICKEN-PIE CLUB INSTITUTED.—This Society was instituted for the improvement of the breed of Cattle, and for may years met at the Crossgates.  The annual meet finished up with a chicken-pie supper—hence the name.

 

  WEAVING AND THE LONDON TRADE.—The disposal of Dunfermline woven fabrics had hitherto been confined to Scotland, the goods being disposed of by orders and by hawking.  In the year 1760, “some of the manufacturers penetrated to London with their goods, where a ready sale at good prices was readily effected.”  Since then, the London trade has been a mine of wealth to Dunfermline.  (See Histories of Dunfermline)

 

  ST. MARGARET’S CAVE OR ORATORY.—An Old MS. Note states, that so late as this period (1790) there were to be seen in the cave a stone seat, and a kind of stone table, with nearly obliterated rude carvings on it.  The writer had also been told of this, in 1824, by old men who had seen these relics.  (See also An. Dunf. date, 1877)

 

  WEAVING.—David Campbell,--Sometime in the year 1760 David Campbell came to Dunfermline, where he for many years “carried on the Linen trade to a great extent.  He made a fortune of £7000, and retired to Edinburgh.”  (Mercer’s Hist. Dunf. p. 164)  Before he came there were only thirteen damask looms in Dunfermline.

 

  QUEEN ANN STREET CHURCH—Induction of the Rev. John Smith.—After a vacancy of nearly eight years, the Rev. John Smith of Jedburgh, was inducted, 16th July, 1760 minister of Queen Ann Street Church, and successor to the Rev. Ralph Erskine, who died in the year 1752.

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—“The council, by a majority of votes, Elected, and hereby Elect, David Turnbull, Provost.”  (Burgh Records, 29th Sept., 1760)

 

  FIRE-BUCKETS INSPECTED.—“4th Oct.:  The fire-buckets being this day inspected, are all in good case, being in Number Eighteen.—The Council appoint John Kirk, Adam Morison, and David Scotland to inspect the fire-bucketts once every Three Moneth thro the year.”  (Burgh Records)

 

  ACCESSION OF GEORGE III.—“1st Dec., 1760:  Which Day the Council Unanimously agreed to address his Majesty, King George the Third, on his accession to the Throne; and a Scroll of an address being Read to the Council, They approved thereof, and ordered the Provost to Sign an address agreeable thereto in their Name, And to Send the same to Mr. Haldane, our Member of Parliament, To be presented to his Majestie.”  (Burgh Records)

 

  AGRICULTURE.—According to a MS., “a new and peculiar system of conducting agricultural pursuits was  introduced into the western district of Fife, in 1760, by George Chalmers, Esq., of Pittencrieff.” 

 

  1791.—THE VILLAGE OF CHARLESTON.—“The regularly built village of Charleston was founded early in 1761, by Charles, Early of Elgin, for the convenience of his workmen; hence the name Charleston.  It lies about one mile west from Limekilns, and three miles south-west of Dunfermline.  The limeworks, kilns, &c., were then in progress.” 

 

  ST. CATHERINE’S LODGE.—David Campbell, manufacturer, finished the building of a large mansion, adjacent to the “Queen’s House,” and contiguous to the ruins of St. Catherine’s Chapel, and hence it received the name of “St. Catherine’s Lodge,” which it still retains.  (Title Deeds, &c.)

 

  CURIOUS NOTICE OF A FUNERAL IN 1761.—The following singular account of a funeral at Dunfermline is taken from an old clipping from the Glasgow Herald:--

 

                                                            “Dunfermline, June th 15 day, 1761.

      “Dear Brother,--I doubt not by this time but you have heard of your Mothers Deces.  Shou Dyed the 9 day of Juen, and was buried the 11 day of June, and shou got a verrey honorable buriel.  We had plenty of eall, and wuskie, and brandie, and plaine short bread, and sukart short bread, and Wheet Bread, and wine bread, and I have paid all founrels (expenses) that Came from our toun, such as brandie, short bread, wheet breed, wine breed, and the Coffen, but did not get a pirticlar a Count of what eall ther was spent, becays William Paton Came not back to the Dargie; but it is to be paid as shon as I get the a Count of it.  They are all to meet at my hous the first day of July, to wit, David bennet, and Wm. Marshal, and our sistar Lissie Philip, for to read up on matters betwixt David bennet and hir, when I shall give you a pirticlar a Count of what is Done and what the burile Comes to.  I sent you a linen Serk with Margret Henderson, which I expect you will have goot.  We had at our Dargie old Dalkeith, Andrew Scotland, Rob. Johnston, John Demptrston, McGrige, harlaw, and all the Nebours. Round.  We had John Harley, John Henderson, John Buchan, Rob. Mudie in Lochend, John Robeson in Shirs Mill, and the twa John Phileps, John Philp in Murmill, and his Mother.  We had from the east hand Touchie and Rentoul, Tho. Grive, Hendrey Symson, Andrew Philp, James Philp in the Damhead, and other two or three that I did not know that came from the east hand.  Ther was 36 or 37 men at Dargie, becides above a Dozen on wemon, and was all gentilly served.  We are weall at present but my wife, and shoe is some Beater.  Which is all from your loving brother,               “J.P.”

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—David Turnbull, merchant, was re-elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, 28th Sept., 1761)

 

  A SENIOR BAILIE Qualifies for Office while on Sick Bed.—“Dec. 26, 1761:  The council present, or a quorum of them, agreed to Repair to Baillie Wilson (Elder) his house, In order that he might accept as first Baillie, and Qualify in Terms of Law, as he was not able to come abroad by Distress.  Immediately thereafter, the Council having Repaired to the said Baillie Wilson (Senior) his house, He in their presence accepted as first (or Senior) Bailie of the Burgh, And gave his Oath, De fideli and Secrecy; And he instantly thereupon Took and Swore the Oaths of allegiance and abjuration, and signed the Same with the assurance to his Majesty King George the Third, in Terms of Law, to qualify him as a Magistrate and Councillor of this Burgh.”  (Burgh Records)

 

  1762.—MASON LODGE, MILL PORT, BUILT.—“The fraternity of Masons in Dunfermline finished the building of their Lodge, near the Mill Port, early this year (1762) being the first Mason Lodge built in the town.”  This lodge (top of Bruce Street, west side) has, for nearly 80 years been private property, and is, and has been for a considerably length of time, inhabited by “a collection of families.”  (MS. Note)

 

  BOOKSELLING AND PRINTING—Gavin Beugo.—An Old Note states that “Gavin Beugo as early as this period had a bookshop and small printing press in the Collier Row, afterwards in the High Street (east of the Cross) as early as 1762.”  He was therefore the first printer in Dunfermline, so far as is known. 

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—David Turnbull, merchant, was re-elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, 27th Sept., 1762)

 

  REMOVAL OF A PART OF THE MONASTERY WALL.—“A great part of the old Monastry wall, to the east of May Gate, having been for a long time, a dangerous ruin, was removed; also another part of the wall which stood in the way of the proposed New Street through the Bleachfield,” viz., St. Margaret Street.  (MS. Note)

 

  MONASTERY STREET.—William Black, “Clerk of the Admiralty of Dunfermline,” opened up a new street from the abbey Close to the Church Glebe, top of Limekilns Road, of which ground he was proprietor.  This street or way was not named until 1811 when the name of Monastery Street was conferred on it.  The Abbey Close reached from “the Pends” to the entrance lodge of Pittencreiff.  (MS.)  At this time the old road from the Netherton Bridge, up behind the houses in Moodie Street, was disused, as also “the road which branched off from it up the burn, along in front of the Palace Wall,” on to the west road on Tower Hill, which was converted into private property, and the site of the road obliterated.

 

  BOILING AND COOKING YARN IN THE KIRKGATE.—“March 7th:  This day the council set the Two little Shops at the head of the Kirkgate to Andrew Bowie, weaver here, for one year after Whitsunday first, at Twelve pounds Scots (Ster.) of Rent, in order to be a place for boiling and cooking yearn, &c., to the inhabitants; and this the council, as an indemnification to the said Andrew Bowie for the Expence and Trouble he had been lately at in making the wester shop proper for the above use by building a vent therein and furnace, and the council agree to take all the iron utensils off Andrew Bowie’s hands at the end of the year at their real worth and value.”  (Burgh Records)  These two little shops stood at the top of the Kirkgate north-east corner, and were removed when the present large house was built. 

 

  COAL EXPORTED.—The writer of the Statistical Account of the Parish, done about this period, states that the value of coal annually exported from the parish did not exceed £200.

 

  PITTENCRIEFF PROPERTY Purchased by Captain Grant.—Captain Archibald Grant, of the 39th Regiment, purchased the Pittencrieff Estate, in 1763, from Colonel Arthur Forbes, for £11,000.  (Burgh Register, 27th May, 1763.)

 

    THE HEAD WELL.—“18th June, 1763:  The Council appoint the Dean of Gild, John Harley, Deacon Low, and John Letham, mason, To inspect the head well, and give orders for the Reparation thereof as they shall see necessary.”  (Burgh Records)  This well was about a mile N.N.E. from the Cross, and anciently called St. Margaret’s Well.

 

  DEATH OF ADAM ROLLAND, ESQ., OF GASK.—He died on 21st July, 1763, aged 57 years, and was interred at Dunfermline.  On the east wall of the north porch of the church there is a large marble tablet, having on it a Latin inscription, of which the following is a free translation:--

 

      “Sacred to the memory of Adam Rolland of Gask—a man on every account to be praised, inasmuch as he was adorned by many virtues; to be beloved for his piety towards God, love to his country, benevolence to mankind; to be esteemed for the integrity of his life, the courtesy of his manners, and the moderation of his desires; who regarded his own relations with fatherly, honest men with brotherly, and all persons with kindly affection; prudent, faithful, and diligent in the discharge of public and private duties; liberal in heart and hand; careful for the future; at all times above the cares of fortune.  Thus, by the divine will, he rendered up his spirit to the Creator, and his ashes to the earth, on the 21st July, in the year of Salvation 1762, at the age of 57, leaving to his friends a sad regret of him.”  (Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. i. p. 489, &c.)

 

  WATER SCHEME—Town Loch and New Street.—“6th Aug., 1763:  Which day the Clerk laid before the Council a Scroll of a Contract proposed to be instantly Entered into ‘twixt Clerk Black and the Town Relative to bringing in water from the Town Loch in Pipes, and anent a public road from the foot of the Street at the Cross, down thro the Abbey Yeards,” &c.  (Burgh Records)

 

  ST. MARGARET STREET—Water Scheme, &c.—The Magistrates and Council obtained liberty from Clerk Black to bring water from the Town Loch to Dunfermline, and to open up a new street through the Abbey Park or Bleachfield.  The Grant, of which the writer has a copy, is entitled, “Contract Betwixt William Black, Esq., Clerk of the Admirality of Dunfermline, Proprietor of the Collier Row and Heugh Mills, Loch Dams, and Mill Leads, Abbey Parks, &c., and the Magistrates and Town Council of the Burgh of Dunfermline, granting power and liberty to open a new street, and to bring in Water from the Town Loch or Leads thereof in Pipes to the Town, for Serving the Inhabitants of the Burgh.”  Dated 7th Sept., 1763.  (See Burgh Charter Chest.)  “St. Margaret Street, in 1763, and for many years afterwards, had no name.  In connection with Guildhall Street, it was sometimes called the New Street, sometimes the New Road.”

 

  Note, by this Contract liberty is given to “make a public street leading down through the Bleachfield [St. Margaret Street], form the foot of the New Street [Guild Hall Street], at the Mercate Cross, to join and connect with the road lately made by the said William Black, in the Abbey Close [Monastery Street], which leads down by the Minister’s Glebe towards the Netherton and Lime Kilns,” &c.  (see An. Dunf. date 1762); and also “full power and liberty is given to convey or bring in water from the Town Loch, or from the Leads thereof, in pipes, to the town, for serving the Inhabitants of the Burgh with good and wholesome water in time coming; and in order that the said Loch may be a proper fountain-head for the said purpose, he also grants full power and liberty to the said town to heighten and repair the front dykes of the said Loch in what form and manner they please,” &c.  (See Contract Deed in Charter Chest of the City.)  A copy of the Contract was printed in 1835, when a further supply of water was so much wanted.  Between the date of this Contract, 7th September, 1763, and 11th June, 1768, there are twenty four minutes in the Burgh Records relative to difficulties—borrowings of money, disputes, &c., in connection with the “Water Scheme,” which, no doubt, was then the “talk of the town for some years,” and instead of giving extracts of them, the reader must be referred to the Burgh Records of 1763-1768.

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—David Turnbull, Sen., re-elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, 26th September, 1763)

 

  FIRE BUCKETS.—“26th Sept.:  Which day the fire buckets were laid before the Council.  Thirteen found to be good; four at the touns Coalwork as overmans receipts; the officers say the other one was lost at Alexander Kilgours kiln when on fire.”  (Burgh Rec.)

 

  PRICE OF BUTTER AT THE TRON MARKET.—An old account notifies that the price of butter in market was 6d. per lb. of 22 or 23 oz.

 

  GREAT DROUGHT.—“There was a great drought and little or no water to be had anywhere; the dam was dry; the back burn and the lynn burns were dried up.”  This state of things continued from July till October, 1763.  (MS. Note)

 

  AUGMENTATION OF PARISH MINISTERS’ STIPENDS.—Much discussion in the Council, and a great many minutes in the Burgh Records regarding this matter.

 

  1764.—LITERATURE—Rev. Ralph Erskine’s Works.—“ Sermons and other Practical Works of the late Reverend and Learned Mr. Ralph Erskine, Minister of the Gospel, Dunfermline;  consisting of about One Hundred and Thirty Sermons, besides his Political Pieces; in two large folio volumes.  To which is prefixed a Short Account of the Author’s Life and Writings, with the Contents; whereunto is subjoined a copious Alphabetical Index of the Principal Matters contained in the whole Work.  ‘The righteous will be had in everlasting remembrance; by these he being dead yet speaketh.’  Glasgow: published by Robert Urie for John Newlands, 1764.”  This work had a rapid and extensive circulation, and has gone through many editions. 

 

  WIDENING OF CANMORE STREET.—The Town Council purchase from the proprietors of yards on the north side of the proposed street several “tail-pieces” of their yards, in order to make “a wide street” from this date.  “Canmore Street began in earnest to be formed.”  (Burgh Records, March 30th, 1764)

 

  NEW STREETS AND TOWN-HOUSE—Tax on Ale, &c.—The Town Council proposed to put a tax of “two pennies on the pint of ale, in order that they might be enabled properly to finish the whole New intended Streets, and build a proper Town-house, all necessary for the advantage, policy, and ornament of the Burgh,” &c.  (Burgh Records, 14th April, 1764)  These new streets, since 1811, have been known as Guild Hall Street, Canmore Street, and St. Margaret Street. 

 

  “THE TOWN LOCH WATER SCHEME” was abandoned, and the St. Margaret’s or Head-Well Scheme adopted.  “Great outcry about the dreadful scarcity of water.”  (MS. Notes)

 

  WATER SCHEME.—The Council appointed a committee of their number to make up a scheme for “bringing in water to the town by pipes from the Town Loch, or Leads, so that they may consider the same, and give further directions thereanent, agreeably to the Contract between Clerk Black and the town,”  granted 7th Sept. 1763.  (Burgh Records)

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—David Turnbull, sen., merchant, was elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, 1st Oct. 1764)

 

  WATER SCHEME—St. Margaret’s, or Head Well.—This “Water Scheme” was adopted in October, 1764, and the work of cutting the pipe-way from St. Margaret’s (or Head Well) was commenced.  The undertaking was left to the superintendence of a committee appointed by the Town Council, the Cuildry, and the Deacons of the Incorporated Trades, the water to be conveyed in lead pipes.  (See An. Dunf. date 1765)  Head Well (St. Margaret’s Well) is situated about 1200 yards north-north-east from the Market Cross of the burgh.

 

  SEWING SCHOOL.—An old memorandum states that “Miss Goodlet opened a Sewing School in a house in the Cross Wynd,” that it was “extremely well attended,” that “she had from about thirty to forth scholars,” and that “some came to her from Lochgellie, and other distant places.”  (MS. and Newspaper Notice)

 

  PITREAVIE HOSPITAL.—A process was raised before the Sheriff-Substitute for the district of Dunfermline, in name of the Heritors, the Magistrates, Town Council, and the Kirk Session, against the Proprietor of Pitreavie, to oblige him to account for the management of the Hospital.  The Cause afterwards came before the Court of Session, and that Court, notwithstanding that in the deed of mortification, all judges, or ministers, civil or ecclesiastic, are discharged to meddle therewith in any sort, found the Patron accountable, and therefore the Patron or Proprietor was ordered to render an account of his intromissions.  (Pres. Records; Fernie’s History. Dunf. p. 48)

 

  THE NUPTIAL BED OF QUEEN ANN adorning an Ale House in Dunfermline.—Fernie, in his History of Dunfermline, states tat about this period “there was to be seen in the bed-chamber of an inn at Dunfermline, the nuptial bed of Queen Ann, which she brought with her from Denmark.  For this piece of royal furniture, the inn-keeper, Mrs. Walker, a zealous Jacobite, entertained a very high veneration.  Bishop Pocock, of Ireland, happening to be in Dunfermline, called on her to see the bed; after having seen it he offered her fifty guineas for it, which she refused, telling him, at the time, that she still retained so great a reverence for the two royal personages, whose property it was, and who slept in it when they resided in Dunfermline, that all the gold and silver in Ireland was not fit to buy it.”  Some time before her death she made a present of it to the Earl of Elgin.  It is of curious workmanship, and ornamented with several grotesque figures, nearly carved.  Adam Smith in his Wealth of Nations takes notice of this bed; he says—“The marriage-bed of James the First of Great Britain, which his Queen brought with her from Denmark, as a fit present for a Soverign to make to a Soverign, was, a few years ago, the ornament of an ale house at Dunfermline.”  Mrs. Walker’s ale house was half way down Guild Hall Street, right hand side, near the site of the Music Hall.  (See also Histories of Dunfermline)

 

  1765.—BURGH ACCOUNTS TO BE KEPT IN ENGLISH MONEY.—“The Council unanimously Statute and Enact that in all time coming after this—The Town Treasurer Accompts shall be drawn out and booked in Sterline or English money and not in Scots money, as has been the bygone practice.”  (Burgh Records, 1st May, 1765)

 

  BAKERS AND BAKING.—At this period “the bakers of Dunfermline heated their ovens twice a week only, as loaf bread was not used amongst the common people.”

 

  PITTENCRIEFF ESTATE.—George Chalmers, Esq., purchased the Pittencrieff Estate from Captain Archibald Grant, of the 39th Regiment, the proprietor, for £13,500 sterling.

 

  THE DUNFERMLINE FARMERS’ SOCIETY ESTABLISHED.—Object same as the “Chicken-Pie Club Society.”  (See An. Dunf. date 1760; also Histories of Dunf.)

 

  NETHERTON WELLS.—“24th June, 1765:  This day there was a petition given into the Council, signed by John Reid in name of the Inhabitants of the Netherton, Craving Liberty to Digg and Build Two Wells.  To which the Council agree and Grant Liberty Accordingly.”  (Burgh Records)  These wells were removed many years ago; they were on the north side of Broad Street.

 

  WATER SCHEME—The Reservoir Erected.—“The water scheme was completed during the summer of 1765, the pipes being all laid from Head Well to the Old Mercat [now Douglas Street.]  A Reservoir of large dimensions, which had for some time been building, was finished in August, 1765, and thus was finished the St. Margaret’s Well Water Scheme.”  (See Histories of Dunfermline)

 

  PUBLIC WELLS.—Six public wells ordered to be set up at the following places, viz., one at the Tron, one at foot of Rottenrow, one in Maygate, one in the Horse Market, at foot of Reservoir Close, one at the top of the Newrow, in Eastport Street, and one in the New Street (Guildhall street).  (See also the Annals of Dunfermline, date 1774)

 

  THE TRON TO BE REMOVED—New Crane to be Erected, &c.—The Council, upon a petition form sundry of the Inhabitants, authorize the Water Scheme Committee “to Remove the present Trone, and Enlarge and Repair the fish mercate stance therewith, and to Erect a Cran or Sway at the North-West Corner of the New built Well for weighing Goods, and also to provide a Triangle for the use of the Leidges.”  (Burgh Records, 17th July, 1765)  This tron well “stood on the High Street, north side, near the gutter, opposite the fourth or fifth house from Bruce Street.”

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Wilson, jun., stationer, elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, 30th Sept., 1765)

 

  CLANDESTINE DRUM NOTICE REGARDING CERTAIN BANKS.—“2nd Nov., 1765:  Which Day Several members of Council present Represented to the Council That an Intimation or advertisement had been published thro this Town by Tuck of Drumb upon our October fair day this week, as if from the merchants, manufacturers, and dealers of the Burgh, that they would Receive no Notes of any Bank or Banking Company in payments except what were Issued by Old and New Banks of Edinburgh and the three Banks of Glasgow, known by the Thistle, Ship, and the Glasgow Arms, And even None of these under Twenty Shillings Sterline.  Further, the said member Represented That They Apprehended the said Intimation, instead of doing good, would be hurtfull to the Traders in the place on several Accounts, And therefore wanted the councils serious consideration.—Which being Considered by the Council, They Unanimously Declare that the said Advertisement was a without their knowledge or approbation, and Therefore Unanimously Disapprove thereof, More Espicially that many of the Traffickers in this place have considerable Dealings with several of the Banks or Banking Companys pointed against by the Advertisement, Particularly the british Linen Company, Who are of Singular Use to them on Many Occasions.”  (Burgh Records)

 

  WEST PORT AND THE CROSS-CHAMBER.—From the following minute in the Burgh Records of Nov. 30, 1765, it would appear that the West Port and its Cross-Chamber was then in a very ruinous condition:--“This day the Provost reported to the Council that certain gentlemen had complained to him of the unsufficiency of the Cross-Chamber, and East gavil thereof, above St. Kathrine’s Wynd, or West Entrie to the Town and they were afraid to pass that way for danger of their lives by the fall of the said cross-chamber.—Which being considered by the Council, and knowing the complaint to be just, they order the Procurator fiscall, in name of the Public, To give in a petition and complaint the reanent to the Dean of Guild Court, Craving a visitation thereof, and that the same may be condemned if found Dangerous, and to get John Wilson, the proprietor, and others concerned, called in the said Petition and Complaint.”  (For removal of this old port, see An. Dunf. date 1780.)  This port is mentioned in one of the Abbey charters under date 1327.  (See An. Dunf. 1327)  This port stood in the middle of St. Catherine’s Wynd, on the spot where the Burgh Causeway terminates.

 

  PROPOSED NEW BRIDGE—TOLBOOTH. &c.—A Minute of the Burgh Records, of date 16th November, 1765, notifies that the Council had received a letter from Mr. George Chalmers, of Pittencrieff, containing proposals for “improving the Street and building a New Bridge over the Tower Burn, in a line with the High Street, and condemning the old road via tower hill, as also the old tolbooth,” and for its removal.  This is the first notice of Mr. Chalmer’s intention or offer to build the bridge.  “It took the Town Council three years and a half deliberating before they could make up their minds to comply with Mr. Chalmer’s wishes; for it was not until early in May, 1769, that the Council came to a final and legal understanding with him.”  Between 16th Nov. 1765, and 3rd May, 1769, there were no less than twenty-four meetings of the Council about the matter.  (See An. Dunf. dates 1769, 1771, 1795, 1876, 1877; also the Histories of Dunfermline)

 

  1766.—PART OF THE RUINS OF THE LADY CHAPEL REMOVED.—According to an old MS., part of the ruins of the old “Ladie Chaple” were removed, in order to make room for the new burying-place of the Elgin family—(See the two following articles).  It was in this locality that the finds of the Stone-Coffin, Female Skeleton, Iron Chest, Cup and Coins were found.

 

  STONE COFFIN—FEMALE SKELETON, &c., DISCOVERED.—The Scot Magazine of July, 1766, contains the following notice:--“About the middle of May (preceding), as some labourers were digging in the spot where the east part of the Church stood, they discovered a human body entire, which appeared to be that of a female.  It was enclosed in a stone coffin, covered with three flag stones, on which could easily be discovered a crucifix, with some other figures or letters, so much defaced as not to be understood.  Several gentlemen of the neighbourhood have visited this curiosity, and, from various circumstances, have reason to believe it to be the body of Queen Margaret, who was buried at Dunfermline, and who was afterwards canonized, and known by the name of St. Margaret.”  The country antiquaries of 1766 were young in the “science of archeology.”  Instead of the body being that of St. Margaret, it is more likely to have been that of Elizabeth the Queen, consort of King Robert the Bruce, because the site which was then being prepared as a place of sepulture for the Elgin Family, was contiguous to Elizabeth’s grave.

 

  IRON CHEST, SILVER CUP, AND SILVER DUG OUT near the site of the Old High Alter.—The Scots Magazine of the same month and year, also mentions that the same time, April or May, 1766, an iron chest was dug up containing a number of very ancient Danish Silver Coins, and in the beginning of July, 1766, a silver cup was also dug up with double handles, supposed by some antiquaries to be upwards of 1300 years old.  These were all found in the same locality as the skeleton.  (See also An. Dunf. date 1759.)

 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Wilson, junior, stationer, was re-elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, 29th Sept., 1766.)

 

BUFFIES-BRAE BRIDGE BUILT.—This bridge was built in 1766; near the top of the arch of the bridge, north side, there is a “date stane,” having on it “1766”.  Previous to this year the burn was crossed by means of a few planks laid over the stream, and by stepping-stones.  This bridge is at least twelve feet too narrow, and it is very inconvenient for traffic.   

 

NEW TOWN—“STAFF-MAN, HIS LIVERY,” &c.—“8th Nov., 1766:  The Council approved of the Committee’s agreeing with William Anderson as Staff man to their Burgh.  By which agreement he is to have a free house from the Toun, Bull’s-hole being at present taken from the Mess. Scotland for the End at Six pounds Scots of Rent Yearly, of yearly fee, a New Coat, a Bonnet, Two new shifts, and some other Necessaries for his Back and Bed.  And the Council recommends to the said William Anderson to be faithful in his office, and particularly, to keep the Town clear of Stardy Beggars and Vagrants—and to obey his masters in all lawful orders.”  (Burgh Records)

 

  WATER.—Notwithstanding the large supply of water from St. Margaret’s Well, a great scarcity of water is still felt, especially in time of drought.


Return to Book Index

 


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus

Quantcast