Additional Info

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

Share

Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Annals of Dunfermline
A.D. 1801 - 1901 - Part 11


  1850.—LITERATURE.—“Poems and Songs, chiefly for the Encouragement of the Working Classes.  By Henry Syme, Dunfermline.  Published by Wm. Clark, 1849.”  This is a 12mo of 140 pp., and contains 48 Poems and 23 Songs on a great variety of subjects.  As a specimen of these Songs, we shall give the verses of “The Shuttle Rins,” to the tune of the “Boatie Rows”—

“The weaver’s wife sits at the fire,
And ca’s the pirn wheel,
She likes to hear her ain guidman
Drive on the shuttle weel.

The shuttle rins, the shuttle rins,
The shuttle rins wi’ speed;
O sweetly may the shuttle rin
That wins the bairns’ bread.

“Thread after thread makes up the claith,
Until the wage he wins, And ilka weaver makes the mair,
The mair his shuttle rims.
The shuttle rins,” &c.

  DUNFERMLINE MUSEUM.—The following is a copy of an advertisement of date 31st January, 1850, regarding the museum:--

    “Museum.—The museum of the Mechanics’ Institution, in the Large Room above the Savings Bank, High Street, can now be seen on Tuesday and Saturday, between 12 and 2 o’clock, and by strangers on any day.  Tickets of admission to be had at the shop of Mr. Clark, bookseller.  Contributions, especially of a local nature, are earnestly requested, and will be gratefully received, notice of which may be sent either to the Rev. P. Chalmers, or to David Reid.”

It is greatly to be regretted that this place of intellectual entertainment was allowed to fall.  Towns of far less importance support museums.  Had the days and hours fixed for visiting the museum anything to do with the fall?  (See An. Dunf. date 1855.)

  ROYAL ACADEMY.—In March, 1850, Mr. Joseph Noel Paton was elected an Academician of the Royal Scottish Academy.

  CRAIGLUSCAR WATER.—On Wednesday evening, the 15th May, 1850, the water from the Works at Craigluscar was introduced into the pipes lately laid down under the streets; daily supply estimated at 50,000 cubic feet, or 300,000 gallons of water delivered daily.

  THE East of Scotland Malleable Iron Works, Transy, ceased working.  All hands were dismissed, May, 1850.

  FIRST RAILWAY PLEASURE PARTY TO DUNFERMLINE.—A large pleasure party arrived in Dunfermline on 17th July, 1850, by the Edinburgh, Perth, and Dundee Railway.  “It was the first railway pleasure trip to Dunfermline.  The party visited all the lions of the place.  When they went to the Auld Kirk, the Rev. Dr. Chalmers addressed them from the steps of the east end on the popular points of the history of the old building.”

  THE FIRST TRIAL TRIP on the Railway, from Dunfermline to Alloa, took place on the 8th of August, 1850, on the “Stirling and Dunfermline Railway.”

  A GENERAL HOLIDAY was held in Dunfermline on August 30, 1850.  All the shops were shut, and business was suspended.  Above 3,000 left town; 2,100 went to various place by cheap special trains.  (Dunf. Advertiser, Sept., 1850.)

  NORTH FREE CHURCH (Bruce Street).—This church, which had for some length of time been in course of erection, was finished and opened for public worship on the 11th October, 1850.  The opening service was conducted by the Rev. Dr. Begg of Edinburgh.  This church has seats for about 760.  (Newspapers)

  LITERATURE.—“The Social Curse (or Intemperance): A Rhyme; and other Pieces.  By Alexander Macansh.  Published 1850.”  This is a 12mo of 208 pages.  The Social Curse, the great poem of the work, occupies 53 pages, and is followed by 53 rhymes on a great variety of subjects.

  DEATH OF ARCHIBALD HAXTON.—Archibald Haxton, Rector of the Grammer School of Dunfermline, died in October, 1850, after the long service of 40 years (1810-1850.)  He was a native of Kirkcaldy.  In 1809 he studied under the Rev. Dr. Lawson, of the Secession Church, Selkirk, but did not prosecute his studies.  He was a successful teacher, and turned out a great many first-rate scholars.  He was interred in Dunfermline.  (MS. Note; see An. Dunf. date 1810,)

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—William Kinnis, Esq., re-elected Provost, November, 1850.  (Burgh Records.)

  THE East of Scotland Malleable Iron Works, Transy, were, in November, 1850, purchased for £15,250 by the Weardale Iron Works Company.  (See also An. Dunf. dates 1855, 1856; Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. p. 346.)

  TOWN CLERK’S OFFICES Removed to the Townhouse.—The Town Clerk’s Offices, or City Chambers, were in November, 1850, removed to the upper storey of the Townhouse, which apartment had been the common jail since 1795, but had in consequence of the erection of the new prison become useless.  (Newspapers)

  DEATH OF MR. ROBERT GILFILLAN.—Mr. Robert Gilfillan died on 4th December, 1850, aged 52.  The writer knew the poet well.  He was a most worthy man and sincere friend.  (See An. Dunf. date 1831.)  He died at Leith, where he had long resided, and was interred there.  He was for some time a clerk in the office of Messrs. M’Ritchie, Leith, and latterly in the Tax-Office there.

BOISTEROUS WIND.—Early on the morning of 8th December, 1850, a great hurricane of wind visited the town, which caused the house-tops and high walls to shake in an extraordinary manner.  The roof of the Free North Church was partially stripped of its slating, and the turret blown down.  The Gas work chimney, and that of Mr. Walker’s bleachfield, were overthrown.  The post was several hours behind time.  (Newspaper)

  REV. MR. LAW’S SOIREE.—A deeply interesting meeting was held in St. Margaret’s Church, on Monday evening, 16th December, 1850, on the occasion of his taking leave of his congregation for Innerleithen.  He was presented with his portrait.

  1851.—THEATRE ROYAL, NETHERTOWN.—A large wooden building was comfortably fitted up in the Nethertown, by Mr. Wynn, for his theatrical performances, under the designation of the Theatre Royal. 

  GEOLOGICAL LECTURES—Mr. Hugh Miller.—Towards the end of February this year, the celebrated Hugh Miller, the geologist, and editor of the Witness newspaper, delivered two popular lectures on Geology, in the Free Abbey Church, Canmore Street, to large audiences.

  FIND OF SILVER COINS OF KING CHARLES I.—In the month of February, 1851, some labourers, while cutting a trench in a field, on the site of the Battle of Pitreavie (1651), three miles south east of Dunfermline, turned up the bones of some of the old combatants.  Near the breast bone of one of them lay a leathern bag, filled with silver coins of Charles I.  On one of the coins was the king on horseback, surrounded by the following inscription:--

CAROLVS * D.G. MAG * BRI * FRA * ET * HIB * REX.

“Charles, by the Grace of God, King of Great Britain, France, and Ireland.”

And on the reverse side 

CHRISTO * AUSPICE * REGNO.

“I reign by Christ’s authority.”

(Newspaper, see also Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. p. 282.)

  CENSUS.—The sixth Government census of Dunfermline was taken in April, 1851.  The following are the results:--Population of the Town and Parish of Dunfermline in April, 1851, 21,234; Town of Suburbs within the new Parliamentary boundary, 13,861, of which 6874 were males and 6987 were females; showing an increase of only 538 souls between 1841 and 1851.  (Newspapers &c)

  DUNFERMLINE TABLE LINEN AND THE GREAT EXHIBITION IN LONDON, 1851.—The following is a list of the contributors to the Great Exhibition in the Crystal Palace, April, 1851:--

    Messrs. Hunt & Son, George Birrel, Messrs. Dewar & Son, Erskine Beveridge, William Kinnis, Peter Bonnar—(Table Linen, Table Cloths, &c) William Clark—(Specimens of Bookbinding.)

  THE WATER COMPANY’S ANNUAL REVENUE for 15th May, 1851, was £6679 4s. 4d.  (Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. p. 64.)

  THE Old Reservoir, Douglas Street, was converted into the Water Office, and for the storage of pipes. 

  THE NETHERTOWN IMPROVEMENTS—Rose Decorations, &c—This year Broad Street, Nethertown, north side, was much improved in appearance by the raising of roses in plots before the several houses.  The roses were sent by Mr. Ferguson, a native of the district.  (MS. Note.)

  ERECTION of St. Leonard’s Steam-Power Weaving Factory.—This factory was erected by Messers. Erskine, Beveridge, & Co. Proprietors, at St. Leonard’s Place, Nethertown, and was opened for work in June, 1851.  There are about 1,200 operatives, &c, employed at this establishment.  (MS Note)

  THE ELGIN BLEACHFIELD, for boiling and bleaching linen yarn, was commenced by Mr. Walker in 1851.  Since then the establishment has much increased; in 1877 it gave employment to about fifty persons.  (MS Note)

  THE REV. DAVID RUSSELL was ordained minister of St. Margaret’s Church, East Port Street, on 3rd September, 1851.  (Dunfermline Advertiser)

  ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL.—The Masons’ Hall, in Queen Ann Place, was taken on lease by this body of worshippers, and by them fitted up for their place of worship in October, 1851.

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—William Kinnis, Esq., was re-elected Provost in Nov., 1851.  (Burgh Records.)

EAST OF SCOTLAND MALLEABLE IRON WORKS, TRANSY.—These Works were purchased by the Weardale Iron Co. in Nov., 1850, but finding after a year’s trail that they had been carried on at a great loss, resolved to remove and transport all the machinery to Weardale, so that the works were closed, and all was quiet before the end of December, 1851.  From first to last these works were an unfortunate and unhappy speculation, as noted in the newspapers of the time.

  LITERATURE.—The first number of The Dunfermline Register, was published in the end of December, 1851.  The Register was issued on Mondays at a penny, but ceased to exist at the end of 1852.

  1852.—A MURDER Committed on the High Street.—Two young men, named Charles Fancoat and Michael Harrigan, who had been fellow workers at the late malleable iron works, had for some time been on unfriendly terms.  On Saturday, 14th February, 1852, they had been drinking, when irritating words passed between them.  In the evening of the same day they chanced to meet near the east end of the High Street. Fancoat went into a flesher’s shop and borrowed a knife under false pretence.  Armed with the knife, he rushed out into the street in search of Harrigan, and seeing him, fatally stabbed him.  For the murder Fancoat was tried at Perth, on 28th April, and condemned to be executed.  The decision of the Court occasioned great excitement in the town.  A petition for commutation of the sentence was drawn up, and received 1250 signatures.  Early in May the petition was forwarded to the Home Secretary.  On 17th May the Provost received notice that a respite had been granted, upon which “the excitement and commotion subsided.”  (MS Note)

  DUNFERMLINE AND CHARLESTOWN RAILWAY.—In February, 1852, a locomotive engine was applied for the first time to the passenger train running between the Nethertown and Charlestown, instead of the horse formerly used.  The distance from the Nethertown to Charlestown, 3 ¼ miles, is now done in about 10 minutes.  (MS Note)

  THE VICTORIA LODGING HOUSE, Nethertown, was opened for lodgers on March, 1852.  Terms, 3d. per night.  (MS Note)

  PENNY SAVINGS’ BANK.—“There were Penny Savings’ Banks established in connection with some of the factories in town and collieries in the vicinity.”  (MS Note)

  A PRESENTATION was made to the Rev. Robert Cuthbertson on the occasion of his leaving Dunfermline for England, April. 1852.

  THE POST OFFICE was removed to the County Buildings at the Cross, May, 1852.

  CONGREGATIONAL, or independent Church, Canmore Street.—The Rev. Alexander M’Auslane was ordained pastor of this church on 26th May, 1852.  (See An. Dunf. date 1858, the year when he demitted his charge; MS Note.) He resigned in August, 1858, for Newport, Monmouthshire.

  RACES AND GAMES.—In August, 1852, public races were run on both the north and south sides of the town.  There were also games of various sorts.  (MS Note)

  AGRICULTURE—Bell’s Reaping Machine.—Bell’s Reaping Machine was practically exhibited in September, on Clune Farm.  Thousands witnessed the performance, and highly lauded the contrivance.  (MS Note)

  THE CHOLERA—Sanitary Duties, &c.—Much excitement prevailed in consequence of the probability of another visit of cholera.  The Sanitary Laws were put in force, and a general cleansing of houses, &c., in town took place.  (MS Not

  THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON’S OBSEQUIES.—The shops, &c., in town were closed on the 18th November, 1952, in respect for the memory of the Great Duke, whose remains were deposited in St. Paul’s Cathedral on that day.  At intervals the muffled bells tolled.  The Abbey Church pulpit and Magistrates’ seat were draped with black, and appropriate sermons were delivered in the several churches. 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—William Kinnis, Esq., re-elected Provost, November, 1852.  (Burgh Records.)

  A RELIEF CENTENARY SOIREE was held in Gillespie Church, on November, 1852.  There was a large attendance.  Prof. M’Michael occupied the chair.  (Dunf. Advertiser.)

  A PROPERTY investment Society was established in Dunfermline.  Shares to the amount of £18,100 were subscribed.  (Dunf. Advertiser, December.) 

  MUSIC HALL.—The large and commodious Music Hall, capable of holding an audience of about 1500, was opened by a grand concert on 30th December, 1852.  The principal entrance is from Guildhall Street.  (Dunf. Advertiser.)  Mr. Clark, bookseller, &c., is the proprietor.  The building was in progress during the whole of the year 1852.

  1853.—MONASTERY RUINS—A public subscription was raised to defray the expense of removing the filth and rubbish lying between the entrance of the west approach to the Abbey Church and the Pends; as also to clear away the stones, rubbish, &c, lying on the vacant triangular piece of ground below the Pends, at foot of Frater Hall wall.  The clearance above, or north of the Pends, was effectually made, but the rubbish lying below the Pends was untouched.  (MS Note)

  LITERATURE.—The first number of a newspaper called The Dunfermline Chronicle, was published on Friday, April 22, 1853, by John Henderson, bookseller, 51 High Street.

  BRUCEFIELD ESTATE was purchased by Erskine Beveridge, Esq., from A. Struthers, Esq., for about £12,000.  (Newspaper)

  WEAVING.—A Patented Improvement.—Mr. Houston took out a patent for a new plan of weaving without the use of the leads.  (Dunf. Advertiser)

  MASTER OF THE SONG SCHOOL.—Mr. John Locke, the favourtie candidate for this office “made his psalmody trial in the Abbey Church in June, when the Church was filled to overflowing.  There was mach excitement and curiosity manifested.”

  POWDER MAGAZINE.—The Powder Magazine on Garvock Hill, built at the expense of the Burgh, was finished in June, this year, and all those who dealt in powder were ordered to store it in the new Magazine, they being allowed to retain a few pounds’ weight on their premises for sale.

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Erskine Beveridge, Esq., was elected Provost, November, 1853.  (Burgh Records)

  MR. JOHN LOCKE received his legal appointment to the office of Master of the Song School, and Parish Clerk of Dunfermline, Nov. 13, 1853.  Mr. Locke was elected sometime before this date, but, owing to some irregularity in conducting the election, he did not receive his “legal orders” until this date.

  1854.—SHERIFF COURTS.—The Sheriff Courts, which had heretofore been held once a week, began in January, 1854. to sit twice a week, “for the quicker dispatch of business.”  (Dunf. Advertiser.)

  THE Foundation stone of the New School of Arts was laid in March, 1854.  (Dunf. Advertiser.)

  THE SCHOOL OF ARTS was re-opened on April 17th, 1854.  There were 387 pupils; Mr. Leonard Baker, master.  The Masons’ Hall was used as a temporary school.

  STONE PAVEMENTS were ordered by the town Council to be laid in all the streets of the Burgh, “which will be a great convenience to those daily using them, especially the out-streets.”

  SCOTTISH BAPTIST CHURCH.—The congregation of Scottish Baptists here (established in 1805) after many changes, broke up on 7th July, 1854.  Their place of worship was sold to the Holy Catholic Apostolic Congregation (Rowites, or Irvingites) who worshipped in the Maygate Chapel.  (Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. pp. 319, 320.)  The body, on breaking up, joined the English Baptists.

  THE CENTENARY of the Cairneyhill Congregation was held in the church there on July 17th, 1854.  It was a large meeting. 

  CHOLERA.—The Cholera broke out in Limekilns and Charlestown.  The cleaning out of the houses in these places was done vigorously, as also in Dunfermline, &c.  (Dunfermline Advertiser.)

  AGRICULTURAL SHOW.—Grand Show of Cattle, &c., at Urquhart in August.  The exhibition was greatly admired and commended.  (Dunfermline Advertiser.)

  ELECTRIC TELEGRAPH.—According to two of our notes, the electric telegraph was conducted into the Post Office, and made ready for business on 4th October, 1854.

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Robert Robertson, Esq., merchant, elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, Nov.)

  STOCK MARKET.—Early in December a Stock Market was opened under the Music Hall, Guildhall Street, which was inaugurated by a dinner.  (Dunfermline Advertiser.)

  WEAVING TRADE.—Great dullness in the weaving trade prevailed in the town and suburbs; 800 looms reported to be idle, and 500 men out of work.  (Dunfermline Advertiser.)

  PATRIOTIC FUND.—The amount collected in the town and district in aid of this fund during November and December, was found to be close on £1000.  (Dunfermline Advertiser.)

  PHOTOGRAPHY.—Mr. Louis opened a studio in the High Street for taking likenesses at 2s. 6de. each.  It was the first photographic establishment in Dunfermline.

  1855.-REGISTER OFFICE, MAYGATE,--On 1st January, 1855, the new Act for the registration of births, marriages, and deaths came into operation.  (MS Note)

  STONE COFFINS DISCOVERED.—Several stone coffins were found on 12th January, whilst a grave was being dug for the remains of Ex-Provost Kinnis, at the south east corner of Abbey Church.  (Newspaper)

  THE ELGIN DINNER.—A public dinner was given in the Music Hall to the Earl of Elgin, on Friday, 2nd February, 1855.  Provost Robertson occupied the chair.  There was a large audience.  The dinner and speeches passed pleasantly off. 

  NORTH QUEENSFERRY was disjoined from the parish of Dunfermline and united to that of Inverkeithing, by the Sheriff, “for the better carrying out of the new Registration Act.”  (Dunf. Advertiser.)

  EVANGELICAL UNION.—On Sunday, 7th January, 1855, this recently formed congregation assembled for worship in the Masons’ Hall, Queen Ann Place, under the pastorship of the Rev. J. Frame.

  THE Dunfermline School of Science and Arts, known also as the School of Design, was opened in their new building in the Newrow, on Monday, 8th January, 1855, and provided with a complete collection of casts, &c., from the Department in London.  The master of the school was Mr. Leonard Baker.

  DUNFERMLINE SURVEYED.—Early in March, 1855, Capt. Baylis, R. E. of the Ordnance Office, with his staff of assistants, began to survey the streets of the burgh for the plan of the city of Dunfermline.  (See An. Dunf. date 1853.)  Much interest and curiosity was excited.  The plan was engraved, finished, and on sale in the month of Dec., 1856.

  MONASTERY DIGGINGS,--During the months of May and June, 1855, Mr. William Clark, jun., bookseller, along with his assistants, made numerous diggings within the area of the Monastery for the purpose of tracing out the contour and the extent of the old walls underground for E. Henderson, LL.D.  The underground foundations, &c., were discovered, and much that was extremely interesting ascertained.  (Vide Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. pp. 132-134.)

  SALE OF DUNFERMLINE ANTIQUARIAN RELICS.—The late Mr. Laurence Wilson, of  Mid-Mill, near Dunfermline, previous to his leaving the locality for America, in the end of July, 1855, had a public sale of his household effects.  Among the articles sold were the following Dunfermline relics, viz.:--A splendid carved oak cabinet, and a small cupboard, called the Queen’s Amrie, also beautifully carved; these were sold to an Edinburgh gentleman, and considerable regret was expressed that they had not been retained in the town; also and original portrait of Queen Anne by Kneller, purchased by Mr. Hunt, Pittencrieff, and several antique looking glasses and pictures were also disposed of.  The servet or napkin woven by James Blake in 1719 was sold privately by Mr. Wilson, shortly before his sale, to Mr. E. Beveridge, manufacturer.  The writer from time to time, between 1840 and 1855, received from Mr. Wilson many interesting letters relative to Dunfermline in the olden time.

  THE Dunfermline Harmonist Society was resuscitated in Sept., 1855.  (Dunfermline Advertiser.)

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Robert Robertson, Esq., re-elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, Nov., 1855.)

  SOLDIERS’ BARRACKS, GOLFDRUM.—The Government authorities, early in 1855, purchased the old Flax Mill at west end of Golfdrum for the purpose of converting it into military barracks.  During the year the mill underwent a thorough revolution in its internal fittings, for the accommodation of a detachment of military; by the end of December, 1855, it was ready, but some unknown hitch occurred and no soldiers were forthcoming!  (MS Note)

  1856.—ORDNANCE PLAN OF DUNFERMLINE and Town Council Minute.—The writer of the “Annals” had, for a considerable length of time, been in correspondence with the Secretary of War and the officials of the Ordnance Map Department at Southampton, relative to having the word “City” engraved on the Ordnance Plan of Dunfermline as its proper title, instead of “town”, “city” being the ancient designation.  After due consideration, the above authorities resolved to adopt the suggestion, and he afterwards received the following note announcing it:--

“Ordnance Map Office, Southampton,
6th February, 1856.

  “Sir, I beg to acknowledge the receipt of your note of the 21st ultimo, and to say, that, after consulting the Solicitor to the War Department, we have decided on designation Dunfermline a City. I have the honour to be &c.,
”To Dr. Henderson,” &c. “Henry James.

Lieut. Col. royal Engineers.

The writer sent this note to Provost Robertson of Dunfermline, who, on February 14th, laid it before a meeting of the Town Council, held that day, when they unanimous

“Resolved, That in all writs issuing in the name of the Magistrates, or Council, or in which they or the town shall be referred to, the title “City” shall be used in place of “Burgh” or “Town” as heretofore, when this falls to be done; and the Clerk in instructed to this effect.”

(Burgh Records, Feb. 14, 1856; also Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. p. 55.)

The City Clerk should attend to this resolution of the Council.

  COAL OUT-PUT.—The quantity of coal raised this year from all the pits in the Dunfermline district, ending with May 15, was 100,000 ton.  (Newspapers)

  KOSSUTH IN DUNFERMLINE.—About the beginning of June this year (1856) several of the admirers of M. Kossuth, the late Governor of Hungary, invited him to Dunfermline.  The invitation was accepted, and June 24th fixed for the day of his visit.  We take the following from our notes at the time:--

    Great excitement prevailed in the town and country around; a day or two previous to the 24th was employed in erecting triumphal floral arches, flower decorations, flags, bannerets, and bunting.  There were three triumphal floral arches erected, viz.:--One of noble proportions and height was erected at the Townhouse, and there was displayed on it with unique effect the word “Welcome” in burning fire!  One at Mr. E. Beveridge’s, Priory House, having on it--” Welcome Kossuth and Freedom to Hungary.”  The third and finest arch was erected on the road at St. Leonard’s Factory, by the operatives; it was decorated with four banners, having the inscriptions—“Kossuth,” “Hungary,” “Italy,” “Poland,”  In the High Street there were several banners with inscriptions on them such as—“Hungary Independent,” “Italy Free,” “Poland Restored,” “An Honest Man’s the Noblest Work of God,” &c.  The Journal Office displayed, a “Free Press is a Nation’s Bulwark,” while the Advertiser Office had a banner with—“Hail Kossuth,” “All Honour to Kossuth,” &c.  All these being in settled preparation for the great event, the 24th arrived, when Kossuth, along with Madame Kossuth, left Edinburgh via Queensferry for Dunfermline. “The whole way was an ovation.”  On arriving near Dunfermline the crown was immense, and the long and loud huzzas of the vast multitude the ringing of the town bells, and other demonstrations of joy, exceeded al bounds.  On getting into his hotel, in Bridge Street, Kossuth addressed the people from an open window amid great excitement.  At eight o’clock in the evening he delivered an address in Queen Ann Street Church to an audience of about 2,000 persons relative to Hungary, Austria, Russia, &c, and the part he had taken in the late wars.  After the oration, a set of damask table linen was presented to Madame Kossuth by the workers of St. Leonard’s Factory, through Mr. Dobbie, the manager.  Kossuth returned thanks for the handsome gift.  Shortly afterwards, Madame Kossuth sent a letter of thanks to the donors. 

  THE FREEDOM OF THE BURGH CONFERRED ON M. KOSSUTH.—Kossuth visited Dunfermline a second time on July the 14th and was presented with the freedom of the Burgh of July 16th.  On this visit he was taken to the Abbey Church and adjacent grounds.  He pondered awhile over the tomb of his great countrywoman St. Margaret, at the east end of the Abbey (outside).  In the evening he delivered a valedictory political oration to a large audience.  At his own request, this visit was unaccompanied with any popular demonstration.

  THE WEST OF FIFE MINERAL RAILWAY.—The Bill for the construction of this railway received the Royal assent on July 14, 1856.

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Robert Robertson, Esq., re-elected Provost, November, 1856.  (Burgh Records)

  LITERATURE.—“Royal Tombs of Dunfermline, by E. Henderson, LL.D., published by W. Clark, Dunfermline, Nov., 1856.”  This small 12 mo, of 28 pages, is a re-publication of several short papers, which appeared in Mr. Clark’s journal, on the Royal Tombs, by the writer.  A fine small woodcut of the Abbey Church fronts the title-page.  It is now out of print. 

  PLAN OF THE CITY OF DUNFERMLINE.—The first parcel of the Ordnance Plan of the City of Dunfermline, from the Ordnance Map Office, Southampton, arrived in Dunfermline early in December, 1856.

    The Plans are splendid.  They are of a large size.  Scale, 5 inches to a mile; consequently the plan of the City is as minute as it is correct in all its details.  The survey was accomplished in 1855 “by Captain Bayly, R.E. and staff of assistants; engraved under the direction of Captain Cameron, R.E. in 1856, at the Ordnance Map Office, Southampton; and published by Lieut-Colonel James, R.E., F.R.S., M.R.I.A., &c., superintendent.”  In sheets, price 2s. per sheet. 

    There is a smaller Plan of the City, forming part of the map of the county of Fife, surrounding Dunfermline.  Scale, 6 inches to a mile and is the most minute and accurate map of Dunfermline and its environs ever published the survey for which was accomplished in 1853, engraved in 1854, and published in 1856, by the same staff of officials who did the City Plan.  Price per sheet, 2s.  (See An. Dunf. dates February, 1853, March, 1855, and February, 1856.)  Sheets on sale by Messrs. John Millar & Son, and Mr. William Clark, bookseller, Dunfermline, December, 1856.  (MS Note)

  THE East of Scotland Malleable Iron Works.—During the last half of the year 1856 the whole of the machinery, &c., belonging to these works were removed piece-meal, and in December the tall chimney was blown up, or rather blown down, by gun powder charges, so by the end of December nothing was to be seen but a great mound of rubbish where the works once stood.  (MS Note)


Return to Book Index