Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

Annals of Dunfermline
A.D. 1801 - 1901 - Part 12


1857.—POST OFFICE PILLAR BOXES.—These useful pillar-boxes were introduced into Dunfermline on 1st March, 1857, when one was erected at the top of Chalmers Street, facing Pittencrieff Street, the other at the top of Moodie Street.  (Dunf. Advertiser.)

  THREE Cists and a Cinnerary Urn were found at Craigdhu (or Blackcraig), near North Queensferry, on 3rd May, 1857.  They were exhibited to a select party by J. Douglas, of Craigdhu, on 25th May, 1857.  (Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. p. 387.)

  THE average number of Prisoners in Dunfermline Jail during the three years ending in June, 1857, was found to be 12 per day.  The gross cost per head of maintaining the prisoners, including clothing, bedding, fuel, officials’ fee, &c., averaged £31 15s. 8d. a year.  (Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. p. 382.)

  “THE Crimean Hero Table Cloth,” designed by Mr. James Balfour for Messrs. Dewar & Sons, London, was exhibited for three days in the Music Hall, ear the end of September, when it was visited by about 11,000 people.  There was quite a furor to see it.  (Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. p. 343.)

  DEBT OF THE BURGH.—On 15th October, 1857, the debt of the Burgh of Dunfermline was £6,188 4s. 4 1/2d., being a decrease of £7,233 8s. 5d. since October, 1835.  (Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. p. 358.)

  THE Assessed Taxes for the Burgh for 1856-57 amounted to £275 19s. 6d.

  THE number of letters which passed through Dunfermline Post Office, between 31st October, 1855 and 31st October, 1856, amounted to 320,000 or at the rate of 890 per day.

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Robert Robertson, Esq., re-elected Provost, November, 1857.  (Burgh Records.)

  LITERATURE.—“A Descriptive and Historical Gazetteer of the Counties of Fife, Kinross, and Clackmannan, by M. Barbieri, surgeon.  Published 1857.”  There is in this work an excellent and concise account of Dunfermline and vicinity.  (An. Dunf. date 1862.)

  RUSSIAN GUN.—On 16th December, 1857, a Russian Gun was brought to Dunfermline and placed in position if front of the small area known as the Bowling Green (the old south transept of the Monastery).  The secretary at Was, the Hon. Fox Maule, through Dr. Henderson, presented it as a gift to the city.  The gun is a thirty six pounder, nine feet in length and is mounted on a light iron carriage.  (Chal. Hist. Dunf. vol. ii. p. 199.)

  1858.—ST. ANDREW’S CHURCH.—Rev. James Rose inducted minister of this church in January, 1858.

  FAILURE OF THE WESTERN BANK OF SCOTLAND.—A branch of this bank was established in Dunfermline in February, 1846.  In February, 1858, the bank declared itself bankrupt, and many persons in Dunfermline suffered severe losses and reverses.  (MS Note

  AGRICULTURE.—It was ascertained in 1858 that there were 5000 acres of land in the Parish under turnips.  (MS Note)

  NATIONAL SECURITY SAVINGS’ BANK.—The amount received from depositors during the year, from 9th Feb., 1857, to 9th Feb., 1858, with interest, was £12,863 18s. 5d. and the amount repaid to depositors, £11,928 3s. 4d.

  JAMES HUNT, ESQ., proprietor of Pittencrieff, died at Pittencrieff House, Dunfermline, on the 6th March, 2858, aged 72 years.  He succeeded his brother in the estate in 1812; “in politics he was a Liberal; an able and eloquent speaker; courteous, kind, and obliging to all.”  (Newspaper)

  INGLIS STREET STEAM POWER LOOM FACTORY.—This factory was erected in North Inglis Street by Mr. Andrew Boag, proprietor.  It employs about 120 operatives, &c.  The Messrs. Kirk Brothers were the proprietors in 1877.  (ms Note)

  NUMBER OF SCHOLARS IN THE PARISH.—In April, 1858, it was ascertained that 3,018 pupils attended the 23 schools in the parish, which had then an estimated population of 22,000 souls. 

  THE HON. JAMES ABERCROMBIE, BARON DUNFERMLINE, died in April, 1858.  He was succeeded by his son.  (MS Note)

  THE REV. THOMAS SMITH was ordained minister of the united Presbyterian congregation in Maygate Chapel, on April 24, 1858.

  DEATH OF THE REV. DR. EBENEZER HENDERSON—Died, on the 16th May, 1858, at Mortlake, near London, the Rev. Ebenezer Henderson, D. Ph., D. D., aged 74.  He was a native of the parish of Dunfermline, and uncle of the writer.  “He was an eminent linguist and divine, and was the author of the following works:--‘Journal of a Residence in Iceland’—‘Biblical Researches and Travels in Russia’ –‘Commentaries on Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel,’ &c.”  From 1826 to 1850, he was the Theological Professor of the Dissenting Colleges at Hoxton and Highbury.  He was interred in Abney Park Cemetery, near London.  (See An. Dunf. date 1800.)

  WILSON’S SCHOOL, NEWROW.—This school was finished and opened on 17th May, 1858, for the free education of children in the town and suburbs of Dunfermline, a preference being given to those of the name of Wilson, and to children whose parents are members of the Free Abbey Church—Mr. Andrew Spittal, master.  (MS Note)

  DEATH OF MR. ANDREW BALFOUR.—“On 17th July, 1858, Mr. Andrew Balfour, builder, died at his residence in Bath Street, aged 45.  The deceased was held in so much respect by the community, that the shops, on the line of route taken by the funeral procession, were closed.  He was employed by her Majesty’s Board of Works on the Abbey Church and the Monastic Ruins, which arduous task he completed to the satisfaction of all parties.  He was the builder of Gillespie Church, &c and was also the prime mover in the carrying out of a resolution to erect a statue to the memory of Ralph Erskine.  this he successfully accomplished.”  (Newspapers.)

  RESIGNATION OF THE REV. ROBERT WALKER.—The Rev. Robert Walker, who had been minister of Chalmers’ Church since 6th November, 1844, resigned his charge on 10th August, 1858, and went to Australia, where he became a mission preacher.

  INSURANCE AGENTS.—According to the Register of Dunfermline, there were in Dunfermline in 1858 31 life, fire, and annuity agents. 

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Robert Robertson, Esq., was re-elected Provost, November, 1858.  (Burgh Records)

  BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, AND DEATHS.—At the end of December, 1858, the public Registrar found by his entries that there had been 822 births, 174 marriages, and 422 deaths during 1858.

  1859.—BURNS’S CENTENARY, 25th January.—The celebration of the centenary exceeded all expectations.  At three o’clock a numerous procession, consisting of the United Burns’s Club and the trades, accompanied by three bands of music, promenaded the principal streets.  In the evening the St. John’s and Union Lodges paraded in torch-light.  The Senior Burns’s Club, the oldest in Scotland, dined in Milne’s Hotel, the door of which was decorated with flowers and evergreens by Mr. John Reid.  The bells rung merrily at intervals.  The members of the United Burns’s Club did justice to their supper in the Hall, Queen Ann Place.  The 25th January, 1859, was a red-letter day in Dunfermline.  For the occasion Mr. A. Thomson, Commercial Schools, composed, and afterwards had printed, a very appropriate set of verses.  They were read by the author to a large gathering in the Music Hall.  (MS. Note)

  LITERATURE.—“Our Banner and its Battles; or An Evening in a Free Church Manse.  By a Disruption Minister [the Rev. James Mackenzie, Free Abbey Church, Dunfermline.]  Published by James Nichol, Edinburgh, 1859.”  This is a small 12mo of 64 pages illustrated with upwards of twenty wood cut engravings, amongst which are John Knox—Knox’s House, Edinburgh—The “Maiden”—Jenny Geddes’s Stool—The “Thumbkins”—The “Boots”—Martyr’s Monument, Edinburgh—the Bass Rock and Prison, &c.  This is an interesting little work.  It has passed through several editions.

  LITERATURE—The Dunfermline Press.—This newspaper was first issued on 21st April, 1859, under the editorship of Mr. Thomas Brown.  A newspaper cutting of the period informs us, that “the School of Arts building, in the New Row, was purchased by Erskine Beveridge, Esq., for £480, for the purpose of altering it into a newspaper office, March, 1859.  Early in April a steam press and two hand presses arrived.  An editor, sub-editor, and staff of assistants, were engaged by the proprietor.  Being at first a bi-weekly, the second number appeared on Saturday, the 23rd April.”  After a short period, the Press ceased to be issued bi-weekly, and one issue only (on Saturdays) was resolved on, which still continues (1878), and with the designation of The Dunfermline Saturday Press, and West of Fife Advertiser.  A. Romanes Esq. is the second editor, and also the proprietor.  (Newspaper and MS Note)

  A WATER CONDUIT, running north and south, was discovered 8 feet under the surface, and about 6 feet to the west of the East Walk in the South Churchyard.  It was built on sides and top with stones nearly joined.  The top was covered with puddle clay, to keep out surface water.  (Newspaper)

  LITERATURE.—“Historical and Statistical Account of Dunfermline.  By Peter Chalmers, D.D., A.M., F.S.A., Scotland, Minister of the First Charge, Abbey Church, Dunfermline.  Second Volume; illustrated with numerous additional Engravings.  Published by William Blackwood & Sons, Edinburgh and London.”  This volume, published about the end of May, 1859, is an octavo, and similar to vol. i.  It is an elaborate production of 476 pages.  Much of it, however, is taken up with corrections of vol. i.; but it likewise contains many interesting particulars collected by the learned author between the publication of his first volume, in 1844, and that of the second, in 1859.  It is embellished with 14 fine copperplate engravings.

  THE ANNUNCIATION STONE—An Important Archæological Discovery.—In the Annals of Dunfermline, under date 1812, there is a drawing and short description of this stone, to which the reader is referred.  From 1812 to 1859, the supposed date 1100 had often been made the subject of controversy, inasmuch as the Arabian numerals were not in use until about the middle of the 13th century!  The following is a notice of the discovery taken from a newspaper of the period:--

    In August, 1859. Mr. John Ions, photographer, Dunfermline, resolved on taking a camera likeness of the stone, and as its surface was in some places covered with small patches of what he took to be hardened dust, he ascended to the stone to clear such blemished away.  During the process of cleaning, he found that the patch, which lay on the space on the right of “1100,” which had been supposed to cover the letters “A.D.”  (anno domini), covered the letters “con” which, when the lime was picked out, stood out sharp and clear.  At this stage of the cleaning, the strip of stone at the bottom was found to read “CON1100”; BUT THIS READING WAS AS GREAT A PUZZLE AS BEFORE, AND MADE HIM INSPECT MORE CLOSELY THE SUPPOSED 1100.  He soon discovered that what had been taken for the first unit and the first cipher of the supposed date, were slightly covered with minute patches of plaster, which, on being carefully removed, revealed that the first unit was an f, and the first cipher a d—thus, instead on 1100, it now read “FIDO,” which on “CON’ being prefixed to it, brought out the Latin word—confido which signifies “I trust,” and being directly under the shield of George Dury, the last abbot of Dunfermline, may be the motto of the Dury Arms.

    It may be remarked that the Latin word “Confido” is to be found over the doorways of many religious and other houses, erected between the 16th and 18th centuries.  “In Domino Confido” (the title of Psalm xi.) is cut on a stone in the front wall of an old house, in the West Bow, Edinburgh.  (Chamb. Gazetteer of Scotland, p. 333.)  Again, over the ancient Monastery of Blackfriars at Edinburgh, there was a sculptured stone, which had on it—“Ave Maria, Gratia Plena, Dominus Tecum”—That is, “Hail Mary, full of favour, the Lord be with you!”—which, with the exception of Maria, is precisely what we have on the Annunciation Stone.  Would such a motto at Blackfriars, in Edinburgh, be likely to occur to Abbot Dury’s mind for one of his mottoes on the stone at Dunfermline?  (See Arnold’s Hist. Edin. 1816, p. 187.)

    Thus was set at rest, and satisfactorily explained, what had been “a puzzle and a bone of contention” with antiquarians for 47 years.  Had the plaster which covered the whole surface of the stone been all carefully removed in 1812, it would have given many a quiet hour to zealour antiquarians!  It is singular that such a finely sculptured stone should have been made the roof part of the bay window in the Palace; perhaps it may have been taken in “troublous times” from the Abbey Church, and place in the roof of said window, and plastered over with lime for safety.  The stone has been semicircular, and is still very nearly so, having a radius of about 2 feet 10 inches; the base is 5 feet 9 inches in length; and from its middle to top of curve, 2 feet 2 inches.  These measures so nearly coincide with that of the top of the arch of the innermost or lowest of the receding arches of the great western door of the Abbey, that it is not unlikely that its original place was in the top of this arch.  Be that as it may, if placed here, it would have a fine appearance; well seen and appreciated by all   Many of the great western door arches of English Cathedrals are embellished with Scriptural Stones.  The great west door of Rochester Cathedral, which very much resembles that of Dunfermline Abbey, has in its lowest receding arch a beautifully sculptured stone of great age, which has been referred to by antiquarians, historians, &c.  (See An. Dunf. date 1812.)

  HONORARY BURGESS—The Freedom of the Burgh.—On the 31st of August, 1859, the freedom of the Burgh of Dunfermline was conferred on Ebenezer Henderson, LL.D. for his antiquarian researches, and in recognition of his services in connection with the restoration of the Burgh to its ancient status of a City.  He was, in the evening, entertained t a public dinner, presided over by Robert Robertson, Esq., Provost.  (Newspaper)

  PATRIARCHAL DINNER.—Forty “auld Dunfermline men,” whose ages varied from 70 to 93, dined in Mr. Aitken’s hotel at the Cross, on 23rd September, 1859.  “The united ages of the forty old ones amounted to 3,003 years.  Toasts, songs, and “cracks”, were “the order” of the evening; and they one and all enjoyed a very pleasurable evening. 

  CHALMERS STREET CHURCH—Ordination.—The Rev. Alex. Milne Jervie was ordained Minister of the Church on the 7th Sept., 1859; resigned in 1876.

   PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Robert Robertson, Esq., was re-elected Provost in November, 1859.  (Burgh Records)

  THE VOLUNTEERS.—The Dunfermline Volunteer Corps originated at a public meeting, held on the 14th November, 1859. 

  1860.—TOWNHOUSE STEEPLE.—“The wooden cone above the bartizan of the Townhouse Steeple was removed on 11th January, 1860, in consequence of a report regarding the unsoundness of the timber; it was, however, ascertained that the timber work was sound, but instead of replacing it, the tower was allowed to remain without a cone for six years!  (MS Note)  “Lament of the Steeple for want of its Cone-cover!”

  A MEMORIAL WINDOW.—Early in 1860, Lady Willoughby D’Eresby, of Drummond Castle, caused one of the windows in the south aisle of the old Abbey Church to be filled with stained glass to the memory of her ancestor, Queen Annabella Drummond, Consort of Robert III.  On a brass-plate underneath is the following inscription:--“This memorial, bearing the escutcheon of Annabella Drummond, Queen of Scotland, was erected by Clementina Sarah Drummond, Lady Willoughby D’Eresby, in memory of her royal ancestor.”  This was the first stained glass window put into the Abbey.

  THE COUNTESS OF ELGIN died in Paris on 31st March, 1860, and was interred in the Elgin Vault, Dunfermline Abbey, on the 12th April.  (MS Note)

  LITERATURE.—“The Pilgrim Psalms; an Exposition of the Songs of Degrees, Psalms cxx.-cxxxiv.  By the Rev. Neil M’Michael, D.D., Dunfermline.  Price 4s. 6d.”  This work was published in May, 1860.

  ST, LEONARD’S SCHOOLS were erected at St. Leonard’s Factory, St. Leonard’s, near Dunfermline, in 1860.

  MOUNTED VOLUNTEERS.—This corps was first suggested at a public meeting held in March, 1860, and were organized in July and Aug.

  BERRYLAW TAP.—The top of the Berrylaw, traditionally knows as a sepulchral site, was dug into on July, 1860, at the instance of Mr. Joseph Paton, Wooer’s Alley, Dunfermline.  Nothing particular turned up, excepting charred wood, rotten bones, and a few rough flat stones.

  THE DUNFERMLINE VOLUNTEERS repaired to Edinburgh (Aug. 7, 1860) to take part in the Grand National Review in the Queen’s Park.

  ABBEY GARDENS FACTORY.—This factory, erected by Messers. Reid & Sons, proprietors, in St. Margaret Street, was finished in Sept., 1860, when 175 steam looms were set in motion, it employs about 250 hands.

  VIEW OF THE CITY OF DUNFERMLINE.—A fine chromo-lithographic view of Dunfermline from the west north west, 30 inches by 18, was published by Mr. W. M’Farlane, lithographer, 19 St. James Square, Edinburgh, price 21s.  (This chromo view is taken from the original painting by Mr. Andrew Blair, artist, Dunfermline.)

  LOUIS BLANC, the celebrated French Deputy, delivered a lecture to a numerous audience in the Music Hall on the evening of October 11, 1860.  Subject,--“On the Mysterious Persons and Agencies in France towards the end of the 18th Century.”  (MS Note)

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Robert Robertson, Esq., re-elected Provost, November, 1860.  (Burgh Records)

  LASSODIE FOUNTAIN.—This elegant granite fountain built into the north west corner of Queen Ann Street Church boundary wall, has the following inscription cut upon it,--“Lassodie Fountain.  Presented to the City of Dunfermline, by Henry A. Dewar. M. D., Aberdeen.  1860.”

  1861.—THE Dunfermline C0-Operative Society (Limited) was inaugurated in Jan. 1861.  The rules were registered on 1st May, and the first shop opened on 1st June, 1861.  (An. Dunf. date1866.)

  PUBLIC DINNER AND PRESENTATION.—On 8th February, Ex-Provost Robertson was entertained to dinner by upwards of 100 gentlemen of the city and district in the Mason Hall, Queen Ann Place, and presented with a beautiful silver tray, value £90, bearing the following inscription:--“Presented to Robert Robertson, Esq., lately Provost of Dunfermline, by his fellow citizens, in token of their appreciation of the zeal, ability, and integrity with which, during a period of six years, he discharged the duties of his office as chief magistrate of this city.  Dunfermline, 8th February, 1861.”  Provost Whitelaw occupied the chair, and E. Beveridge, Esq., presented the testimonial.  The speeches delivered on the occasion were most interesting, and the whole proceedings a complete success.

  THE Dunfermline Penny Savings’ Bank was instituted early in April, 1861; there were 359 depositors on 16th April.

  VOLUNTEERS.—The Volunteer Corps created a great sensation in town on Saturday, 5th April, when the whole body of them turned out for the first time.  The chief attraction was the band, nineteen in number, and their dress is lighter in shade and gayer in trimmings than that of the riflemen.  “The rifle band will be a credit to the city.  the corps marched to Brucefield Park and on their return; they paraded through the principal streets of the city.  Dunfermline felt proud of the martial appearance of her sons.”  (Dunf. Advertiser)

  THE CENSUS.—The seventh Government census was taken is April 1861.  Results relative to the Parish of Dunfermline:--Population of the town and parish of Dunfermline, 20,952; town and suburbs within the Parliamentary boundary, 13,504.  Oh these 6,438 were males, and 7,066 females.  Compared with 1851, it shows a decrease of 436 males, but an increase of 79 females; total decrease, 357.  Males in the parish of Dunfermline, 10,016; females, 10,936; total decrease in the parish, 382.

  GRAND RECEPTION TO THE EARL OF ELGIN.—On 17th April, 1861, the Magistrates, being apprised of the time when the Earl would arrive at Dunfermline Railway Station, ordered the bells to be rung, and the flags to br hung out, while they walked in procession, escorted by the volunteers, to await his arrival.  His Lordship, Lady Elgin, and family were conducted to the Council chambers, where his Lordship was presented with an address.  This was a great day in Dunfermline. 

  PRESENTATION.—Mr. Andrew Thomson, of the Commercial School, during the winter delivered a series of readings gratuitously.  These lectures, which were very popular, were brought to a close on 4th April, 1861.  At the concluding meeting Provost Whitelaw presided, and presented Mr. Thomson with the sum of £30 as a testimonial for his labours.

  CHALMERS STREET CHURCH.—The old church of 1789 being removed, the foundation stone of a new and more commodious place of worship was laid on July, 1861.  In a case were enclosed a brief history of the congregation, a copy of the principles of the United Presbyterian Church, the local newspapers, and the current coins of the realm.  The case was placed in a hollow, cut I the foundation stone, and properly secured.  (Newspaper)

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Whitelaw, Esq., ironfounder, elected Provost, November, 1861.  (Burgh Records)

  A PUBLIC DINNER and Presentation were given to James Macfarlane, Esq., November, 1861.

  1862.—METEOROLOGY, &c.—According to a note in our possession, by J. M. from 1st March, 1861, to 1st March, 1862, the wind blew from south, south west and west, 191 days, and from the north, north east, east and south east, 174 days.  There were 127 rainy days, and 228 without rain.  The average height of the barometer in summer was 30 9/10ths.  The average height of the thermometer in July was 92° in the sun and 79° in the shade.

  MR. ANDREW M’DONALD died at Swinton, near Manchester, on 4th June this year, aged 68.  He was for upwards of thirty years an eminent teacher in Dunfermline, connection with the Commercial Academy.

  CHALMERS STREET CHURCH finished and opened for worship.  (See A. Dunf. dates 1789, 1861.)

  THE Regality House, East Nethertown Street, was removed to make way for another building. 

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Whitelaw, Esq., re-elected Provost, November, 1862.  (Burgh Records.)

  M. BARBIERI, surgeon (late of Limekilns) died at Inverkeithing on 20th November, aged 81 years.  For some years previous to his death he corresponded with the writer.  Dr. Barbieri had a fine taste for antiquities and history.

 THE Dunfermline Journal (Messrs. Clark, publishers) after an existence of about twenty two years issued its last number in December, 1862.  (See dates 1840 and 1872.)

  1863.—LITERATURE.—The first number of “The Fifeshire Illustrated Family Almanac and General Advertiser for 1863,” was published by D. Campbell, Chalmers Street, Dunfermline.  It is an 8vo. Price 1d.

  THE Dunfermline Advertiser, published by Mr. Miller, after an existence of about twenty nine years, issued its last number in May, 1863.  Mr. Miller’s Advertiser and Mr. Clark’s Journal were at first monthly papers.  Afterwards they appeared fortnightly, alternating with each other, and thus giving the public the advantage of a weekly paper betwixt them.  But the Dunfermline Press, established in 1859, took the lead, and was the cause of the extinction of the Advertiser and Journal.  (MS Note; See An. Dunf. date 1834.)

  THE New Cemetery was opened for interments on 31st July, 1863.  The cemetery is about ¾ of a mile east from the burgh, comprises about 6 acres and is tastefully laid out in walks &c.

  THE Public Park, Hallbank, was opened in August, 1863.

  THE Dunfermline and Charlestown Railway was in September the year discontinued, after having done good service for about twenty nine years.  (MS Note)

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Whitelaw, Esq., re-elected Provost, November, 1863.  (Burgh Records)

  LORD HIGH CONSTABLE OF DUNFERMLINE’S DINNER.—The Dinner of the Lord High Constable, an old institution, which had been long discontinued, was this year, in November, revived by Mr. James Macdonald, writer, who was then Lord High Constable.  The Provost, Magistrates, &c., were his guests.  Toasts and speechifying were the order of the evening.  The dinner was held in Turnbull’s Hotel.  (MS Note)

  1864.—LITERATURE.—An 8vo. tractate, of 34 pp., was published this year, entitled “Burgh Life in Dunfermline in the Olden Time: a Lecture.  By the Rev. William Ross, Aberdour.  Delivered in the Music Hall, Dunfermline, 8th February, 1864, at the request of the Literary Society of the Town.  Published by Edmonston and Douglas, Edinburgh, 1864.”  This little work is brimful of most interesting extracts from the oldest of the Burgh Records (1473-1506).  We are indebted to it for many of the entries in the Annals, and for extracts taken from it.

  “DUNFERMLINE IN THE OLDEN TIME.”—A lithographic view (9 by 7 ¼ inches) under this designation was published by the writer early this year, finely done by Schenck and M’Farlane of Edinburgh.  It is composition view, drawn from several detached sources, and pieced together to represent as follows:--The Porch door and “Auld Kirk” Steeple, the Constabulary and Bailie House, the Queen’s House, and Pend which has erroneously been styled “the West Port” by the print, whereas it was erected so late as 1770 as a private gateway to Pittencrieff Policy.  The said view is supposed to be taken from the foot of the Kirkgate (omitting the West Port in St. Catherine’s Wynd) as the view would appear in 1790.  The price was 1s. 6d.

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Whitelaw, Esq., was re-elected Provost in November, 1864.  (Burgh Records)

  1865.—LITERATURE.—There was published in May, this year, “Extracts from the Kirk Session of Dunfermline, from A.D. 1640 to 1689 inclusive; or a Glimpse of the Ecclesiastical History of Dunfermline for a period of Fifty Years.  With Illustrative Notes.  Edited by E. Henderson, LL.D.  Printed by Fullarton and Macnab, Edinburgh.  May, 1866.”  This is a thin 12mo of 82 pages, and contains a few hundred extracts from the long lost and now oldest records of the Dunfermline Kirk Session.  The frontispiece (a woodcut) represents the Ruins of the Abbey Choir, Auld Kirk, &c, of Dunfermline.  It is a composite drawing by Dr. Henderson.  A great many of the extracts are to be found in the Annals of Dunfermline, between dates 1649 and 1689.

  THE Bothwell Steam Power Weaving Factory was erected in Elgin Street, by David Dewar & Sons. in June, 1865.  About 900 operatives were employed,  The present proprietors are M. Mathewson & Son.

  THE Town House Bell, which had, since the year 1654, “served the town at all times when bell sound was needed—for Council meetings, opening of the old market days, day of rejoicing, and funerals, was disused this year, 1865, in consequence of its getting out of tune, and giving an uncertain sound.”  It was replaced by another, set to G—no very great improvement upon its predecessor.  (See An. Dunf. date 1876; MS Note.)

  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Whitelaw, Esq., re-elected Provost, November, 1865.  (Burgh Records)

  CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.—Induction.—The Rev. Jas. Mitchell Robbie was inducted minister of the Congregational Church, Canmore Street, in November, 1865.


Return to Book Index

 


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus

Quantcast