Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

Annals of Dunfermline
A.D. 1801 - 1901 - Part 2


1806.—WATER — NEW CAST-IRON PIPES.—"The Committee of the Water Company this year, 1806, resolved to substitute a cast-iron pipe of four inches diameter in place of the leaden one, of only two inches, which had hitherto conveyed the water from the Head "Well to the Reservoir in the town." (Mercer's Hist. Dunf. p. 156;  see also An. Dunf. date Feb. 1807.)

ADMIRAL MITCHELL (of the Hill) died on 26th February, 1806; he was Admiral of the Blue. In the Town-House there is a likeness of the Admiral on canvas, 7 ft. 8 in. by 4 ft. 9 in., but no inscription; at the top of the frame there are naval emblems; at the foot, a shield or coat of arms, &c.; motto—" TRIA . JUNCTA . IN . UNO" [three joined in one]. {An. Dunf. 1794 to 1806.)

LITERATURE.—The Kev. David Black, minister of the Antiburgher Kirk, Chalmers Street, in 1806, published a volume of Sermons on "Death."  (MS. Note.)

TAMBOURING.—"It was considered this year (1806) that the tambouring business gave employment to at least 600 females in Dunfermline; the work generally came from Glasgow to be done." It would appear from another note that "the tambouring business was at a very low ebb in Dunfermline in 1816, and that tambourers and tambouring disappeared by 1817."

SPINNING MILL IN KNABEIE STREET.—"This year (1806), Mr. George Rontree, late superintendent of Brucefield Spinning Mill, erected machinery in Knabbie Street, to spin yarns by hand-power for home sale. This was the first spinning mill in the burgh; it did not succeed, for a few years afterwards he removed his machinery to Saughton, two miles west from Edinburgh." (MS. Note.) In 1824-25 the writer had several interviews with Mr. Rontree regarding "the town and trade of Dunfermline."

DRAWING CLASS.—"John Lothian, weaver, Boofiesbrae, Dunfermline, formed a drawing class in his house in 1806, and was pretty successful; the pupils drew flowers from nature, old ruins, web patterns," &c.

THE FLY-COACH.—"In the summer of 1806, Laurence Millar, innkeeper, Old Inn, started a coach, called "the Fly," to run between Dunfermline and Edinburgh. "The Fly" went to Aberdour, to meet a boat there, which conveyed the passengers to Leith. It was moderately supported, but was given up in the summer of 1807, in consequence of Millar having had his two horses killed by the fall of the old tower on his stable." (MS. Note; An. Dunf. date 1807.)

AULD LIGHT KIRK—Ordination of the Rev. Mr. Campbell.—"On the 1st September, 1806, the Rev. John Campbell was ordained minister of the Auld Licht Kirk [or Original Burgher Kirk] in Canmore'Street."  (MS. Note.)

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—James Moodie, Esq., Dunfermline, re-elected Provost, September, 1806. (Burgh Records.)

THE LIMEKILNS' FRIENDLY SOCIETY was "formed with about seventy members." (MS. Note; Femie's Hist. Dunf. p. 52.)

1807.—PROPOSED TUNNEL UNDER THE FORTH NEAR ROSYTH. Towards this proposed tunnel, "the Council authorized the Provost to subscribe Ten Pounds for the Town, for the purpose of making experiments to ascertain the practicability of making a tunnel under the Frith of Forth, betwixt the north and south sides, near Rosyth." (Burgh Records, 2nd Jan., 1807.)

WATER.—The new cast-iron pipes, from Head-Well to the Reservoir in Dunfermline, began to be laid down in the summer of 1806. The work was completed on 2nd February, 1807, (Mercer's Hist. Dunf. p. 156; An. Dunf. date 1810.)

TOWN COUNCIL DISBURSEMENT— The Good Old Times.—At a meeting of the Town Council, on 8th April, 1807, it was ordered that the sum of £162, due to Mr. Duncan M'Lean, innkeeper, be paid immediately. (Burgh Records.) 

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Wilson, Esq., of Transy, elected Provost on 2nd May, 1807, Provost Moodie having resigned, (An. Dunf, date 1807, for re-election according to Act of the Burgh.)

LITERATURE.—The Rev. David Black, minister of the Anti-burgher congregation, Chalmers Street, in 1807 published a small work, entitled, " The Covenanter's Directory; or, Suitable Exercises for Intending Covenanters on a Day of Covenanting. Preached at Milnathort, 16th April, 1806."

FORSYTH'S DESCRIPTION OF DUNFERMLINE.—In May, 1807, Mr.R. Forsyth published vol. iv. of his " Beauties of Scotland." In this volume there is an account of Dunfermline, extending over eight pages (pp. 121-128), which appears to have been compiled from De Foe's "Journey," Pennant's "Tour," and Grose's "Antiquities."  It is, therefore, unnecessary to make extracts. At page 123 of said volume occurs the old misleading statement already adverted to, namely, speaking of the origin of the Abbey, he says, "It is by some thought to have been originally intended for an hospital or infirmary, being styled in some old manuscripts, Monasterium ab monte Infirmorum"  (Regarding this, see remarks in the An. Dunf. under dates)  There are two nice octavo views of the Abbey and Monastery in this volume;  the first is entitled, "Dunfermline Abbey," being a south-west view of the west end of the Auld Kirk, showing the steeple, the west gable, the great Norman door, the ruined tower on the right, and directly in front of it there is a house or stable; on the left are seen a few houses in the distance, and the Town-House steeple. View second is entitled, "Dunfermline Fratery," being a view from the north-east of the ruins of the interior of the Frater's Hall.  Both views are pretty fair representations of " the auld waas."

TOWN OFFICERS' ROYAL LIVERY.—The town officers of burghs, in which Royalty resided, were clothed in scarlet, similar to that worn by the King's own servants. This practice is understood to have been allowed by some one of our early James's. Dunfermline town officers were thus clothed. The following is a Town Council minute ordering the officers' livery to be made;—"15th May, 1807:   This day the Council direct the Chamberlayne to furnish the Officers with new Coats, Vests, and Cocked Hats, trimmed with white lace, and also the Breeches—the Coats, Vests, and Breeches all of Scarlet Cloth." (Burgh Records.) The old Royal Livery, in use "from time immemorial," ought to be restored to the city officers. "During the frenzy period -of the Reform Bill, the old scarlet livery was discarded, and blue substituted, in compliment to King William IV., our Sailor King, who wore blue uniform." (MS. Note.)

LAMPS.—The Town Council, in July this year, ordered 34 new lamps to be purchased, which made the number of lamps in the town 106. (Burgh Records.)

"THE CROSS BUILDINGS," OR GUILDHALL, FOUNDED.—"The Guildhall, Dunfermline, was founded on the 20th July, 1807, on the site of two worthless old tenements on the south side of the Cross." (MS.Note., Fernie's Hist. Dunf. p. 19; see also An.Dunf. dates 1808, 1811, 1849, &c.)

DEBT OF THE BURGH.—The Debt of the Burgh on the 17th July, 1807, was found to be £10,168 16s. 8d. (Burgh Records.)

SCHOLASTIC.—"The Council agreed to abolish the practice of charging five quarters school wages," the "wages to be raised a little." (Burgh Records.)

LEGAL ASSESSMENT for Support of the Poor.—There was a legal assessment for support of the poor for a great part of the years 1807 and 1808.

ROYAL TOMBS EXPLORED.—John Graham Dalyell, Esq. (afterwards Sir John), having received permission from the Crown anthorities in Edinburgh to prosecute his antiquarian researches within the area of the Royal Tombs, went to Dunfermline for that purpose, on July 25th, 1807. He began his "diggings" at an early hour on the morning of the 26th July.

" An early hour was preferred (says Sir John) for the purpose of preventing interruption, as the walls surrounding the Psalter Churchyard were insufficient to guard against the intrusive curiosity naturally expected on the occasion. It was found, in digging, that the earth immediately below the surface, and even to the depth of two or three feet, had the appearance of having been dug before, though perhaps at a remote period, and nothing- whatever was found among it, except a few human bones, brittle and rotten. Under this, however, about four or five feet from the surface, a coffin—rudely built of small irregular pieces of sandstone, along with a scanty portion of lime, and covered in the same manner with similar materials—was found, containing the skeleton of a full-grown person, pretty entire. Its position was not directly below the large stone, but one-half of the length further west. It lay among soft humid clay, completely filling the coffin, from which the bones had imbibed so much moisture, that on lifting a broken one, the water poured from the lower end as on squeezing a sponge. The head, or upper part of the coffin, towards the west, was contracted into narrow compass, just admitting the skull, which was quite fresh, and the teeth sound. This coffin had certainly never been opened, and I am inclined to ascribe its structure to a more ancient date than the decease of the Kings whose bodies are said to be deposited in the Abbey; for I do not conceive that any of them are contained in it. All the bones were returned to their original situation, and the pieces composing the top of the coffin put over them. The morning, being by this time far advanced, the whole excavation was filled up, and the covering [stone] replaced, which operation, as well as removing it, was a matter of considerable difficulty, as it is above nine feet long, more than one half as broad, and several inches thick. I have since been informed that, sometime afterwards, when the rain had washed among the rubbish where the earth was thrown out, a leaden plate was found, with a lion engraved on it, surrounded by—ROBERTUS • DEI • GRATIA • REX • SCOTORUM. It is now in the possession of the Earl of Elgin.

"I do not affirm that the Royal remains will be discovered, because in opposition to general belief, I must acknowledge myself induced to suspect, that they were deposited in tombs standing above the large flat stones, or, at least, that all were not interred below them; and that these tombs were destroyed in the general wreck of the Abbey. Several years ago, on digging a grave immediately in the vicinity, small fragments of white marble, still bearing the remains of gilding, were found; and also portions of a softer stone, which had been ornamentally moulded—(2).

"In the course of the research, the square, flat red bricks, anciently covering the floor of the Abbey, were turned up.  Others are met with of various colours; and pieces of painted glass are also sometimes discovered. The whole of this part of the Abbey is covered with rubbish to a considerable depth from the surface ; but whether from the falling- in of the roof, or by gradual accretions otherwise, I am ignorant. A few individuals now employ the ground as a cemetery." (Dal. Monas. Antiq. pp. 3-8.)

It is evident that Mr, Dalyell had been told that the large six flat stones, north north-west considerably from the site of the high altar, were, according- to tradition, the covering-stones of as many kings buried there. One of these stones was larger that the other five, and, probably, it would be concluded that this stone covered the remains of King Robert the Bruce!  Royal remains, in early times, were usually deposited in graves before or near to the high altars. No royal remains could possibly have been interred so far from the high altar as these six stones are. This the writer convinced Sir John, many years ago, by arguments based on the discovery and site of the Bruce's grave in Feb. 1817. This discovery showed that the royal remains had not been deposited in tombs placed on flat stones in the ground, and that the monumental tombs were raised above the remains,

FALL OF THE SOUTH-WEST TOWER OF THE ABBEY—Great Thunder-Storm, &c.—This old tower, so long the twin of the one that formerly stood on the site of the present steeple, and had for some years previous to this date been "a dangerous ruin" and about "tottering to its fall," gave way and fell under "the influence and effect of a great thunder-storm, which occurred at Dunfermline on the night of 10th August, 1807."

                        " Sad is the war of elements and time.
                           The bulwark'd tower, once so sublime,
                           Has totter'd to its base, and displays
                            A venerable wreck of other days."

The Globe newspaper of the 2nd of September, 1807, in a paragraph referring to the above occurrence, stated that the steeple in its fall buried in its ruins a stable and part of a barn, and killed three horses, while three escaped. It further adds, that had the accident taken place during the day, it might have proved fatal to many children, whose favourite resort was the area below. (MS. Note.)

"Two of Laurence Millar's 'Fly-horses' were killed in the stable, which put an end to the running of the Fly." This old tower remained in the state it fell for above three years, in consequence of a legal dispute between the town and the heritors. The case was settled in December, 1809, by the Lord Ordinary of the Court of Session declaring that the town was only liable for repairs, not liable to assist in building a new parish church. Therefore, a new tower, according to a plan by Mr. Stark, a native architect, was erected between 1810 and 1811, which is the present tower in the south-west angle of the Auld Kirk. The greater part of the old east wall being sound, was allowed to remain. (Burgh Records.)  This old tower was built in circa A.D., 1100-1115; a similar tower stood on the site of the old steeple before it was built. (See An. Dunf. dates 1593 and 1607.)

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—John Wilson, Esq., of Transy, was elected Provost on 2d May, 1807, and re-elected Provost in September, 1807. (Burgh Records.)

POSTAL AND STAMP REVENUES.—Revenue from Post-Office during 1807, £900;  from Stamps,  £1386 13s, 2d, (Fernie's Hist. Dunf. pp. 53, 54.)

COINS FOUND IN an Old House in the Collier Row.—" In the year 1807, while an old house, which had belonged to Provost Wilson, was being pulled down, one of the masons came upon a hoard of coins in a small built-up recess in one of the walls. They were silver and copper coins of several of the James's, and also some of Edward I. of England. Many surmises were made at the time as to how they got there. The general conclusion was that they had belonged to some coin-collector in the days of old, and had been so hid in the wall during the troublous times of the two last Stuarts; that the collector had died, and that they had been forgotten."  (MS. Note.)  The writer has long had in his possession one of the coins of Edward I., found in this hoard. It is a penny piece, and is very much worn.

CIRCULATING LIBRARY.—In 1807, John Miller, bookseller in High Street, established in his shop there a circulating library. (MS. Note.)

PITTENCRIEFF ESTATE.—William Hunt, Esq., merchant, Dunfermline, who purchased Pittencrieff estate in the year 1800, died in 1807, and was succeeded by his eldest son, William Hunt, Esq. (MS. Note.) 

POST OFFICE.—The Town Council proposed to memorialize the Post-Master General of Scotland for £50 a-year (salary), in consequence of the great increase of Post-Office business in Dunfermline, since Mr. Angus became Post-Master, (Burgh Records, Dec. 26,1807.)

1808.—ASTRONOMICAL LECTURES BY REV. MR. ALLEN.— There is a minute in the Burgh Records in reference to these celebrated lectures, viz.:—"26th Dec., 1807: The Council upon application of the Rev. Mr. Alien, Crossgates, allowed him the use of the lower room in the Town-House, for the purpose of lecturing-upon Astronomy two hours each week during his Course." These were the first Astronomical Lectures ever delivered in Dunfermline; they were well attended, and were long the subject of public conversation. They were delivered during the month of January, 1808; he had an excellent apparatus—globe, balls, diagrams, tide machines; planetarium made by John Henderson, watchmaker. (MS.)

WEAVING—A Woman's Shift Woven in the Loom.—Mr. Henry Meldrum, an ingenious weaver in Netherton, Dunfermline, in the year 1808, wove a woman's shift in his loom. (Fernie's Hist. Dunf. p. 61; see also An. Dunf. date 1813.)

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Major David Wilson, of Dunfermline, elected Provost at Michaelmas, 1808, as the successor of John Wilson, Esq., Transy. (Burgh Records.)

DEBT OF THF. BURGH.—The debt of the burgh was "found to amount to .£10,450 sterling, having more than doubled itself in ten years; the cause and effect of this would be interesting." (Scotsman Newspaper, No. 142.) 

DUNFERMLINE TRADESMEN'S LIBRARY.—Regarding the origin and progress of this library, we have several MS. Notes, a few of the most interesting of them are as follow:—

"This Library originated in the year 1808, in James Kirkland's shop, Moodie Street."  "Richard Gossman, William Carnegie and William Andersen, Journeyman Weavers in Moodie Street, agreed to make common stock of the books each possessed, but, finding the stock too small, they applied to others, and a committee was constituted, composed of the following members, viz.— Richard Gossman, Wm. Carnegie, Charles Anderson, Ralph Walker, David Latham, Thomas Main, John Syme, Andrew Aitken, and William Meldrum. Shortly after its institution the little library had to be removed to another place. On this occasion a coal-backet was washed out to hold the books, in which they were taken away by Wm. Anderson, while Wm. Meldrum carried the rest away in his apron. There were only about 40 volumes, large and small, in the Tradesmen's Library at this time. Thus the little library went but slowly on for many years." "In 1819 there were 300 vols. in it, and about thirty members in the club; down to this time there was no rent for a room, no librarian or treasurer's fees, everything being conducted on the most rigid economy. A short time after the formation of the Mechanics' Institution (1825), the Tradesmen's Library and that of the Mechanics' Institute Library were united." (MS. Note.)

CHAPEL KIRK.—"Rev. Peter Brotherston inducted minister of the Chapel Kirk on 14th July, 1808, as Successor to the Rev, Christopher Greig, who was translated to the 2nd charge of Dysart parish, 24th Sept., 1807." (An. Dunf. date 1809.)

POSTAL AND STAMP REVENUES.—The postal and stamp revenues of Dunfermline for this year are,—Post Revenue, £900; Stamp revenue, .£1,210. (Fernie's Hist. Dunf. pp. 53. 54.)

GUILD HALL.—The building of the Guild Hall was completed by the end of the year 1808, "but the several apartments in it were not floored until about the year 1817, when it was turned into an hotel [the Spire Inn and Hotel]. The steeple was only carried up to the height of the circular stone platform above the bell-holes, and there it stuck for some time, at a height of 83 feet." A public subscription was set about, and funds were obtained to build the spire, which was completed in 1811. (See An. Dunf. dates 1809, 1811.) The front of the Guild Hall, which faces the north, is about 65 feet in length and 35 feet in height. It has twenty-four main windows in front, and six smaller ones in the centre part of the building. According to Fernie, the height of the spire—a very elegant one—is 132 feet.

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Major David Wilson, elected Provost, 36th Sept., 1808. (Burgh Records.)

A POLICE BILL FOR THE BURGH was for the first time mooted at a Council meeting on 9th November, 1808. (See An. Dunf. date 1811.)

HEADWELL BLEACH-GREEN DISUSED.—The proprietor of Headwell refused to allow the Headwell Field, &c., to be used any longer as a public bleaching-green. (Burgh Records.)

1809.—LITERATURE.—A work treating of the monastic antiquities of Dunfermline, was published early in 1809. It is entitled, "A Tract, chiefly Relative to Monastic Antiquities, with some Account of a Recent Search for the Remains of the Scottish Kings Interred in the Abbey of Dunfermline. By John Graham Dalzell, Esq. Edin., 1809."  This is a thin octavo volume of seventy-three pages, containing extracts from the Register of Dunfermline, to which historians and other writers have been much indebted for information. In comparing this volume with the Macfarlane Transcript (see Annals of Dunf. date 1738), we are of opinion that it ("Monastic Antiquities ") is rather indebted to the Transcript than to the Register de Dunfermlyne for its materials.

THE "LORD PROVOST"—THE "CITY."—In the Burgh Records these designations are frequently to be met with. (See Burgh Records for 16th March and 29th April, 1809.)

JOHN FINLAV'S HOUSE DESTROYED BY FIRE.—The house of John Finlay, wright, &c.. High Street, was, in April, 1809, burnt down for the second time, as also his shed and workshop behind. There was a great cry for want of a fire-engine. It has often been subject of regret that this house was re-built after the second fire, as a new street, in a line with South Chapel Street, could easily have been opened up to the east end of Maygate, having the old house on the south side there to bound the vista. (See An. Dunf. date 1800; also MS. Notes.)

MUSIC BOOK.—Mr. John Malcolm, baker, Dunfermline, this year published a thin quarto book of  "Sacred Music," price 2s. 6d.

MILITARY DRILLING IN THE TOWN-GREEN.—"TheTown Council reserve liberty to allow the military to drill in the Town-Green." (Burgh. Records, 13th May, 1809.)

NEW GRAMMAR SCHOOL.—It was proposed to erect a new Grammar or High School, according to a plan by Mr. Stark, architect, at a cost of £2600. It was not proceeded with. (See An. Dunf. dates 1816-17; Burgh Records.)

CELEBRATION OF THE JUBILEE IN DUNFERMLINE.—We have several notes on the "National Jubilee." The following are a few of them condensed and put together:—

"On 25th October, 1809, the great Jubilee was held in Dunfermline from early morn till late at e’en.”  "It was a general holiday; most of the shops were all closed, the schools all out." "The town house windows were filled with flags, as also were the windows of the eight deacons. The bells in the steeples were kept ringing almost incessantly." "There were several bonfires, where the boys kept up a constant firing of their wee cannons, key-cannons, and bones. The magistrates in procession, and with music, inarched to the cross, and drank the King's health, and hoped he would live to see many Jubilee returns!" "In the evening some of the houses were illuminated, and there was a great display of squibs and skyrockets from the bartizan and the roof of the clocktower of the town-house, conducted by Jamie Ure (the white soger}, and Wall Simson and Wull Walls, drummers. The crowds on the streets were immense. The ceremony was brought to a close by a deal of drinking amongst the council in the town-house, who kept merrily at it until near 12 at night." So much for the celebration of the Jubilee in Dunfermline.

CONDUIT AND WELL, MOODIE STREET.—In August this year the feuars in Moodie Street petitioned the Council for aid towards repairing and cleansing the conduit and well from which they were supplied with water. This well was, in the days of the Abbey, known as St. Laurence's Well.

NAMES OF THE STREETS to be Painted on the Corner-Houses.— " 25th May, l809 : At a Council meeting, held this day, the Provost suggested to the Council the propriety of painting the names of the different streets in the town upon the corners of each, and of giving names to some of those which have not yet been properly fixed, Which suggestion the Council adopt, and authorize the Land Committee to get the same carried into effect; and the following names were agreed to, viz.:—

"High Street—From Cross to Townhouse; from Cross to East Port.
East Port Street (known as the Town's End)—From East Port to Stobies.
New Row—From East Port South to Nethertown.
Canmore Street (formerly known as Monastery Wall)—From Mr. White's to Mr. George Spence's.
May Gate—From Mrs. Black's to Mr. Gibb's, Kirkgate.
Abbot Street—From Mr. Sutherland's to Mr. Douglas's.
Kirk Gate—From Kirkyard Gate to High Street.
St. Catherines Wynd—From Kirkyard Gate to Mr. Betson's.
Monastery Street—From Abbey Close to Dollas's.
Collier Row—From Provost John Wilson's to the Dam.
Rotten, Row—From opposite Provost Moodie's entry to the turning to the Chapel Kirk.
South Chapel Street—From Mr. Kirk's to Rotten Row.
North Chapel Street—From Mr. Black's Barn to the Dam, or Old Tannage.
Queen Ann Street—From Dr. Campbell's corner to the head of the Cross
Wynd, and East to Mr. Peebles' new houses.
School End Street—From the School north to the Knabbie Raw.
Guild Hall Street—From the Guild Hall to Dr. Davidson's corner.
St. Margarets Street—FROM. Mr. George Spence's south to Mr. Henry Scotland's.
Abbey Park Place—From Dr. Gibb's to Mr. Brotherston's-
Moodie Street—From South End of Gibb Street, or Square, to Nethertown.
Gibb's Street—From Mr. Henry Scotland's to Robert Lowson's, and east.
Priory Lane—East from Corner of Mr. Spence's Park to Mr. Black's.
Damside Row—From Finlay Malcolm's to Mr. Bonnar's Feu.
Black Raw—Cusine's Houses, back of Dam.
Clay Acres—Houses back of Knabbie Row.
Bridge Street—From Town House to Rutherford's Corner,
Chalmers Street—From Rutherford's Corner to Mr. M'Robbie's.
Knabbit Street—From the Low Dam to the Slaughter House.
Bothwell-Haugh Rvw—From End of Nethertown to the Hospital Bridge.
                                                                   (Signed)    " D. WILSON."

The writer, in his early youth, compiled a paper on the " Ancient Names of Places in and around Dunfermline," which was read to a literary society. He has extracted from his paper the following on the nomenclature of the streets, from at least A.D. 1480 to 1809, as a fitting appendix to the foregoing, as it supplies several omissions :—

Names of the Streets in Dunfermline            New Names painted on the
between 1480 and l8l2.                                corners of the Houses in 1809.

 

He Gait, Hie Gate (High Street).. -...,.....,.    High Street.
The East part of the Street...............           Horsemarket.
The Gallowgate.-.............. ..................       Guildhall Street.
Thro'-th'-Bleach...................................       St. Margaret Street.
The New Road ..................................        Moodie Street.
Guitter-Syde......................................        Bothwell Sfreet,
Gilley's Wynd (or Jeelies Wynd) .-....,.,...     Reid Street.
Common Vennel (or Abbey Road)..........      Priory Lane.
The Foul Vennel, (or In-below-th'-Wa's),..      Canmore Street.
The West part....,.,.......................              Abbot Street.
St. Kathrine's Gait (or Gate) ..................     St. Catherine's Wynd.
The New Brig ....... ............................        Bridge Street.
The Fit Paith (or Foot Path)...............,         Woodhead Street
The Back Syde ...................................      Queen Ann Street.
The-Coal Road, Damside Row, &c........ ..    North Chapel Street.
The Hie, or High Street (Highest Street)...     Knobble Street, or Raw.
Doon-be-th'-Pends.................... ...........      Monastery Street.
The How Gate (lower part of Newrow)... ..     Newrow.
Guilter-Syde (Nelhertown) ....................      Bothwellhaugh Row.

The old use-and-wont names of the street  annexed were retained ..................           

Kirkgate.
Collier Row
Rotten Row.
Cross Wyitd.
Shaddows Wynd.
Nefhertowft.
Broad Street.
South Chapel Street,
Pittencrief Street.
Goldrum,
Baldridge Burn
New Row

Since 1832, several alterations of names have been made, viz, the venerable Collier Row, in 1833, was for some months known as King Street; then the name settled down into Bruce Street. The Rotten Row has, for the sake of " a finer sound,"  been lately dubbed West Queen Ann Street, "the dubbers" having forgotten that Rotten Row, London, is the haute ton of fashionable life !

GUILD HALL SPIRE.—"The Council authorize the Provost to subscribe Sixty Guineas for the New Steeple at the Cross-buildings." (Burgh Records, 8th August, 1809. "At this period a public subscription was carried on for ornamenting the Guild Hall turret with a Spire." (See An, Dunf. date l811.)

CHAPEL KIRK.—Rev. Peter Brotherston demitted his charge of minister of the Chapel Kirk, on his being translated to the Second Charge of the Parish of Dysart, on 24th August, 1809.

PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Major David Wilson, Dunfermline, re-elected Provost, September, 1809.

FIRE—Great Fire in the Rotten Row.—The house, the wright's shop, and sheds of Mr. Macdonald, the wright in the north-side of the Rotten Row, were, towards the end of 1809, destroyed by a dreadful Fire.  No appliances to extinguish the fire but buckets, stoups, and pitchers of water from the dam and the tron-burn. Shortly afterwards a movement was made in favour of getting fire-engines to the town.   (MS. Note.)


Return to Book Index

 


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus

Quantcast