|Pre Roman, this was the home of the Cymri Welsh speaking Celts.
The start of the building of the Antonine Wall
The Romans evacuate "The Wall" leaving behind Easter and Wester Caer to
outposts that become the Kerse.
Cunneda, the "Father of Wales" takes the Cymri south to protect the
Romans from the invading Irish.
King Aidan of Dalriada drove out the Saxons who had taken over from the
Donal Breac King of Dalriada defeated by the Anglos.
The Picts and the Scots defeat the Northumbrians, all these battles fought between
the Avon and the Carron.
Sir John de Striveling starts to build Wester Kerse Castle. He changed his name to
Part of Easter Kerse is given to Arbroath Abbey for farming and salt manufacture.
King David I gave the rest to Newbattle Abbey, and the title changed to Abbots
Alexander 2nd gave the Abbey lands to Holyrood.
Sir John de Striveling's grandson, takes over Kerse Castle and his second son
assumes the title Sir John Stirling of Kerse.
Daughter Marjory, inherits the estate, she married John De Menteith grandson of the
one who betrayed William Wallace.
The Menteiths settled their feud with the Bruces of Airth when William married
Helen Bruce, he became a M.P. and James 4th granted him "The lands of Wester
the fortalice, manor, gardens, orchards and the river fishings".
Robert, half brother of Mary Queen of Scots, seels East, Mid and West
Saltcoats, Carronflats, Inch and Reddoch Abbey lands to the Duke of Hamilton.
William Menteith imprisoned in Blackness Castle for a feud with the Livingstones of
Kerse Estates confiscated for the refusal of the Menteiths to conform to the new
New owner Sir Thomas Hope, involved in the riots at St.Giles when "A multitude
of wives threw their stools at the Bishop of Edinburgh". He was issuing the "New
Prayer Book". The Hopes removed the castle, and built the Kerse House we knew.
Lawrence Dundas buys Kerse Estates.
He cuts the first sod to build the Great Canal.
The building of the 3rd Granary at the side of the Canal, it became the Seamen's
Bethel and Sealock Hall. The first Granary was in Glensburgh to store grain from
Dundas Mill which stood where Central Avenue is now, the Miller and his assistants lived
at Bowsplank Cottages. The 2nd Granary was in the Boatyard; it was demolished in 1994.
Dundas lays the foundation stone for the first house twixt the Carron and the Canal
that became Grangemouth.
J.Welsh builds a 47 ton sloop "Jean and Janet" the first ship built in
Ships registered at Grangemouth, the first use of the name.
A Whale Boiling Factory opened in Esplin's Building in North Basin Street.
The Crown Inn opened in Canal Street, the first licensed place in the town - population
Fish Curing Factory opened in Dalgrain Road.
J.Cowie takes over the Boatyard, a 56 ton sloop "Jean" is his first ship.
A school house in Burnett Street. Lord Dundas gives to the "fchool-mafter a
houfe to dwell in, a fchool-room and L5. a year". Pupil's fees were 4/- to 6/- a
quarter. Farm workers earned L12 a year with board, "common" servants L3
to L4. without board. (L was a Scottish Pound).
The Opening of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
A.Hart takes over the Boatyard.
Kerse Road constructed Polmont to Glensburgh, and the Grange Burn diverted to new
The building of the "Charlotte Dundas" (Mark 1). The hull was built by
A.Hart and taken to Carron Iron Works where W.Symington's engine was installed, it didn't
generate enough power and so Symington designed and patented a new engine.
"Charlotte Dundas" (Mark 2 - 58ft long x 18ft beam) sails to Port Dundas
but the Canal Company refuse to take up their option. Symington retired to London where he
died a pauper.
J.Allan takes over the "Yard" his first ship, a 64 ton sloop
The first of the Rope Works and sail makers.
New School in West Middle Street. In 1827 was called the Zetland.
The first Post Office, Canal Street. G.Gibson, Merchant.
Custom House built.
The first Dry Dock opened. 4th Granary opened in Carron Street, during the
Great War it became a Naval Billet and housed the first W.R.N.S. in 1918, it then became
the Hosiery. Grain was imported from Canada and the sailing ships were called
Falkirk - Burke and Hare meet while working on the "Black Tunnel" on the
Opening of the first Bowling Club.
Adamson's the ship builders of Greenock take over the "Yard" and in 1827
build a Brig, "Alexander" 259 tons.
A scow from Liverpool bound for Grangemouth held in Canal
at Cadder, its cargo, corpses bound for Dr. Knox in Edinburgh. Dr. Knox was the anatomist
who bought the bodies of the victims of Burke and Hare.
Grangemouth introduces "Boating Regattas" to the Forth.
March 22, Death of W.Symington buried in a pauper's grave at St Botolph's
churchyard at Aldgate in London. This Epitaph was unveiled in 1905:
"He constructed the "Charlotte Dundas" the
first steamboat fitted for practical use; dying in want he was buried in the adjacent
St.Botolph's is now a refuge for homeless who walk the
streets of London.
It's ironic, the year he died a pleasure steamer "Lord
Dundas" started excursions through the Canal from Glasgow to Grangemouth to
New Gas Works opens in Dalgrain Road.
31 Dec. Grangemouth becomes a Burgh.
Opening of Police Station at Basin Bank with 2 cells (to be rented out when no in
12 Licensed premises; population now 3,000.
Hospital built where the present Dock Gates are now.
Dundas School opens, also new Zetland school.
Start of the decline in the popularity of the
"Regatta" only 4,000 turn up; population only 3,000!!
Millhall Water Works opens.
2 constables added to the Police Force. Our first Fire Brigade formed, the
engine cost £155.
First Sawmill, McPherson and McLarnes.
Dobson and Charles take over the "Yard".
They build a 297 ton Iron Screw Steamer "Emerald".
Fire Brigade unable to attend fire at Overton Farm, they had lost the harness for
Sgt. McGregor of the Police Force suspended, he opened a
Dram Shop in Dundas Street.
Dows Mill which had the first sawdust bing, it became Muirheads.
3 June Opening of the New Carron Dock and the Zetland
"Craighill" a 1116 ton Steel Screw Steamer built
in the "Yard".
Opening of Charing Cross Church.
Electricity introduced by the railway for dock use.
Foundation stone laid for new Town Hall.
Post Office moved to Charing Cross.
Grangemouth Dockyard Company take over the boatyard, and
build their first twin-screw steamer "The Knight of St.Patrick".
Mrs Andrew Carnegie launches a ship in the "Boatyard" and offers £600 to
the building of a library.
Drill Hall opened in Talbot Street. Peter Kincaid starts
We'd like to thank Grangemouth
Heritage Trust for supplying the above information.