THE real name
of the illustrious hero, Lord Clyde, was Colin MíLiver, he being the
eldest son of John MíLiver and Agnes Campbell. He was born 28th October,
1792, at 63 High John Street, opposite the north-east corner of the
Municipal Buildings. His parents were both natives of Islay, one of the
Hebride islands. Young Colin was educated at the High School. At the age
of ten he was removed from Glasgow by his maternal uncle, Colonel John
Campbell; and, when fifteen years of age, received his commission as
ensign, on the 26th May, 1808, in the 9th Regiment of Foot. It was then
that the change of name from MíLiver to Campbell took place, and it arose
out of an erroneous impression of the Duke of York, commander-in-chief,
who, on Colonel Campbell introducing his nephew to the Duke, was greeted
by His Royal Highness with the exclamation:
"What! another of the clan?"
On this assumption that he was of
the same name as his uncle, a note of it was made as Colin Campbell. The
colonel, who noticed his nephew about to correct the mistake, checked him
in an undertone, and remarked:
"Campbell is a first-rate name to
serve and fight under."
And thus it was the Duke of York
who, unwittingly, changed the name of the young ensign. His regiment was
under the command of Colonel Cameron, who gave him his first lesson in how
to stand fire at the battle of Vimiera. He was in the army that fought
under his fellow-townsman, Sir John Moore, at Corunna, and young Campbell
was one of the party who buried the hero at dead of night, and
"Left him alone in his glory."
His career in India, and the honours
which awaited him, are historical. The veteran hero died in peace, 14th
August, 1863. His monument stands in George Square.