CAMBUSLANG lies about half a mile to
the south of the river Clyde, almost due south from the Glasgow eastern
districts of Shettliston amid Tollcross.
A little to the east of the church there is a
spacious natural amphitheatre, formed on the green side of a ravine
which rises from the channel of the burn. This was the scene vf
an extraordinary religious excitement in 1742.
In the New Statistical Account of Scotland, we
find the following description of this curious affair, which is known as
the Cambuslang wark.
The first prominent effects of these multiplied
services occurred on the 8th of February. Soon
after, the Sacrament was given twice in the space
of five weeks, on the 11th of July and on the 15th of August. Rev. Mr.
Whitefleld had arrived from England in June, and many of the most
popular preachers of the day hastened to join him at
Cambuslang~ez_mdash~.such as Rev. Messrs. Willison of Dundee,
Webster of Edinburgh, M'Knight of Irvine, M~ez_rsquo~Laurin of Glasgow, Carrie of
Kinglassie, etc. The Sacrament on the 15th August was very numerously
attended. One tent was placed at the lower extremity of the amphitheatre
above alluded to. A second tent was erected in the churchyard, and a
third in a green field a little to the west of the first tent.