Reminiscences of the Royal Burgh of Haddington Bara Church and Churchyard
THE old parish of Bara
(it is found spelled three different ways, viz., Bara, Baro, and Barraw)
was united to Garvald, the adjoining parish, in 1702. It seems to have
been the custom long ago to join parishes together, like Bara and
Garvald. In East Lothian, besides the above, Gullane was joined with
Dirleton, Tynningham with Whitekirk, Keith with Humbie, and Soutra with
Fala; In each case remains of the old churches and churchyards exist to
this day, all interesting relics of former ages.
In terms of the decreet
of annexation, service was performed in Bara Church every alternate
Sabbath, until 1744, when the kirk fell into complete disrepair. Mr
Archibald Blair, of Garvald, was the last minister who preached in it.
He was uncle of the last President Blair of the Court of Session.
In 1840 part of the walls
of the church was still standing, plain, coarse rubble-work. Some years
after, they were taken down by the late proprietor, Robert Hay, Esq., to
build a wall round the churchyard, which was at one time much larger,
but is now a small circular spot. The kirk stood in the comer of a
field, on the farm of Linplum, which is called the Kirk Field to this
day. Being pretty high, it commands a magnificent view of the lower part
of East Lothian, North Berwick Law, the Bass, May Island, and the Fife
hills. The glebe still exists on the north side of the road leading to
Garvald. The manse stood where Bara smithy is now.
Mr Hay, when he enclosed
the remaining part of the churchyard, planted it with trees and shrubs,
which have grown tall and thick. It is a pretty quiet and sequestered
place. Owls, starlings, wood pigeons, blackbirds, thrushes, &c., in
large numbers find among the thick foliage a secure and quiet refuge and
resting-placea fit emblem of the peaceful grave.
There have been no
interments in the churchyard for a very long period. The few old
tombstones which remain are almost all flat, in the old-fashioned style
of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. They are above the average,
and much superior in old carving and embellishments to the ordinary run
of sepulchral memorials in country churchyards, and must have been
wrought by master hands. They are all of the fine Garvald red freestone.
Mr John M'Donald of Edinburgh, a native of Haddington, presented in the
Haddingtonshire Courier all the legible inscriptions on the tombstones,
and it may be interesting to preserve them here. They are as follows:
1st. Here lyth Patrick
Dickson, who departed this life, January 7 day, 1659. And Jean
Bartrem,his spous, who departed this life, March 21 day, 1689. The
stone bears a monogram of their four initials, the motto, Memento mori,
skull and cross-bones, sand-glass, and an angels head and wings.
2d. Here lyes Margrit
Harla, wife to Iohn Wat in Dunkinlaw, who departed this lyfe the 28 of
Maye 1667, aged 76. This stone .carries the ordinary skull and
cross-bones, and a finely executed shield, bearing in pale, a tree, with
two crescents in chief, and a bar dexter with two trefoils.
3d. Here lyes William
Cockburn, who died the 17 of March 1693, aged 69. Here also lyes Patrick
Cockburn, farmer in Carthre,.....(illegible), and aged 74. And his ....
(illegible), aged 75. Here also lyes James Baillie, farmer in Carthre,
he died the 13 day of January 1740, aged 70, and also of his children,
Euphan, died in her age 18, and the other thre ar Alexander, John, and
4th. Here lyes Henry
Hardie, farmer in Morham, who died April 27, 1708, his age 32. This
elegant tombstone has a border elaborately illustrated with the initials
of the deceased, an angels head and wings, two cross-bones, two pens,
two spades, and two arrows, all crossed on each other, a sand-glass, a
skull, and the motto, Mors est ultima rerum.
5th. Here lyeth intered
the body of Grizel Loudon, daughter to Alexander Loudon and Agnes
Sinclair, fermer in Linplum, aged 9 years, died Nou. 2t, 1711; also Robt.
there son, aged 15 years, dyed Octr. the 12th, 1713 years. Accompanied
by angels head, and motto, with a few flowers.
6th. Here lyes lames
Witherspoon, farmer in Waldin, who died the 17 of June 1714, aged 62.
Carthre is the old name
for Carfrae, and Dunkinlaw for Duncanlaw.
The parish of Bara
included the farms of Bara, Linplum, Carfrae, Snawdon, Little Newton,
Quarryford, and the Park, Newlands, Castlemains, Danskin, Brookside,
part of Waldean, East and West Hopes. It joined with the parish of
Lauder across the Lammermuir Hills.
A good story is told of
Robert Neillans, cooper in Garvald, when he was selling his bickers and
tubs in Lauder fair, telling his customers that he had come from the
next parish, a distance of over thirty miles across the hills. Bara
barracks, a large pile of buildings on the farm of Bara, were built by
Government about the year 1750, to accommodate the cavalry regiments. It
was the custom long ago to put cavalry horses out to graze during the
Lord Charles Hay of
Linplum, who fought at the battle of Fontenoy, was a distinguished
cavalry officer during the reign of George II., and was member for the
county of East Lothian in 1741, and died in 1760. He is said to have
planted the fine rows of trees which still grow on Linplum and Bara, in
the form of the lines of that battle.
This comment system requires
you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an
account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or
Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these
companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All
comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator
has approved your comment.