January 4.—In this and other issues
there are loyal addresses to the King from county meetings, Town Councils,
and Presbyteries. The "Courier" at the same time mentions that party zeal
of a political kind had long been absent from the Highlands, but was now
beginning to show itself.
Ibid—"On Thursday, the 7th ult., the
Highland Chieftain steamboat returned from her trip from Glasgow to
Kyleakin, in Skye. She completed her voyage to that place, which is 240
miles from Glasgow, in 35 hours and 50 minutes, and she completed her
voyage home in 40 hours and 16 minutes, notwithstanding having experienced
the violent gales we had at the beginning of the month, and having to
contend with many of the very rapid currents in the narrows along the
western coast. We understand that the proprietors of this beat have
resolved to ply her between Glasgow and Kyleakin by Crinan, Oban, and
Tobermory, during the ensuing summer."
January 11.—A report of the
Inverness county meeting shows that the terms of the loyal address to the
King caused a lively discussion. Glengarry, who was not present, wrote
that he saw no necessity for addressing his Majesty at present. Mr Grant
of Rothiemurchus criticised with severity the conduct of his Majesty’s
Ministers, and moved an amendment. Mr Fraser of Auchnagairn asked Mr Grant
who gained the battle of Waterloo. "Mr Grant replied, not his Majesty’s
Ministers, God knows. Had my Lord Liverpool, my Lord Castlereagh, or Mr
Vansittart commanded that day, the battle would not have been gained. And
had the Duke of Wellington possessed no more wisdom, vigour, or
consistency than these gentlemen, even he would not have obtained the
victory." Mr Fraser, yr. of Torbreck, who seconded the amendment, said
that without entering at all into the question of the guilt or innocence
of the Queen, he considered the withdrawal of the Bill of Pains and
Penalties one of the proudest triumphs the people of England had ever
obtained. The amendment was ultimately withdrawn, but the following clause
adopted! from it was introduced into the address:—‘We have the utmost
satisfaction in being able to assure your Majesty that in this part of
your Majesty’s dominions, there exists no spirit of disaffection, or
irreligion, or of immorality, nor have any attempts been made, so far as
we have been able to learn, either by the circulation of books and
writings, or otherwise, to shake the loyalty or to corrupt the manners of
the people." In several county meetings elsewhere and in Presbyteries
opposition was shown to the voting of addresses. "Dr Chalmers in Glasgow
and Mr Andrew Thomson in Edinburgh respectively withstood the proposed
Addresses, and reprobated the interference of the clergy in political
matters, as the sure means of lowering the clerical character, injuring
the cause of religion, and lessening the influence of its teachers over
the minds of the people. Mr Macleod, yr. of Cadboll dissented from some
parts of the Address adopted by the county of Ross.
Ibid.—The directors of the Sacred
Music Institution announced that Mr Hunter had been engaged and had
commenced teaching as successor to Mr Huntly.
January 18 and 25.—Reports of
meetings, from many parts of England and Scotland, show the excitement
that prevailed. Loyal addresses were voted to the King but the conduct of
Ministers was frequently censured.
February 1.—Parliament was opened on
the 23rd inst. by the King in person, and the speech from the Throne
recommended the Commons to provide an income for the Queen. This
concession tended to allay the public temper. The amount subsequently
voted was £50,000 a-year.
February 8.—There is a report of a
dinner of the Celtic Society in Edinburgh (the third general meeting), at
which Sir Walter Scott presided, supported by Glengarry and Macleod of
Macleod. About 70 gentlemen were present, attired in the Highland dress.
The principal object of the Society was to promote the general use of the
Highland garb in the Highlands. Sir Walter, in replying to the toast of
his own health, said that it had been his good fortune in early life to be
much in the Highlands. "He remembered with delight how he used to cling
round the knees of some aged Highlander, and listen half astonished, half
afraid, to the tales and traditions of that romantic country. It was then
and there that he had imbibed that love for wild scenery and legendary
lore which had since procured him what reputation he enjoyed. He knew that
his friend Sir John Malcolm, when on his embassy to Persia, had gained
much reputation by narrating to the Eastern Court, in their own language,
the Arabian tales. He, in like manner, had only given back to his country
the tales which they had formerly known and loved."
February 15.—"A reading-room was
opened at Cromarty on Tuesday week, which is to take in three London daily
papers, two Edinburgh papers, and the two Inverness papers. This
establishment must be found peculiarly useful to the stirring town of
Ibid.—It is reported that the
Badenoch Auxiliary of the Bible Society had collected £58 0s 2½d. Rev. Mr
Macdonald, minister of Alvie, writes:—"Considering the almost total
failure of the potato crop, on which the poorer class depend as their
principal food for three-fourths of the year; the great fall in the price
of cattle and sheep, the staple commodity of the country, during the whole
of the last season, and more particularly towards the conclusion of it,
together with the general poverty of the country, the above amount
collected in these circumstances is a clear proof that the Bible is not
undervalued among the Highlanders of this district."
February 22.—"The Society for
educating the poor in the Highlands have, upon certain conditions, come
definitely to the resolution of erecting a building in Inverness as a
Central and Model School, and they have fixed on a plan which will afford
accommodation for 300 scholars, who are to be educated on the new or
Lancastrian system. The meeting at which this resolution was adopted was
held here on Tuesday, in the Town Hall, and was numerously attended, Colin
Mackenzie, Esq. of Kilcoy being in the chair." The directors only agreed
to the erection of a school on such a large scale on condition of the
inhabitants of the town becoming bound for a portion of the expense. To
this a number of the inhabitants assented, and an agreement was entered
into by which the Society was secured in the interest of the money to be
expended on the building, and the feu-duty of the ground on which it was
to be erected. The new school was to be erected on the west side of the
river, immediately opposite the English [High] Church. It was calculated
that the three schools, Academy, Raining’s, and Central, would provide
accommodation for 900 boys and girls, covering the whole school population
of the town.
Ibid.—Indications are noted of
returning prosperity in the manufacturing districts, and "even in this
remote quarter." With reference to this district "it is remarked both by
commercial travellers and those connected with agriculture, that they
recollect of no season in which the payment of accounts has been more
prompt or fresh orders more liberally given."
Ibid.—In a scuffle near Milton of
Kilravock between three Excisemen and two smugglers, a father and son, the
father received injuries from which he died. The smugglers had refused to
surrender the illicit spirits which they were conveying in a cart.
Ibid.—A list of premiums is
published, adjudged by the Highland Society of Scotland to competitors in
Highland districts. "Our Northern readers will feel gratified by observing
that the premiums for improving sheep pasture by making sheep drains are
making their way towards us. We learn that in the county of Sutherland
there are some farms, on each of which, within the last five or six years,
upwards of 50 miles of sheep drains have been executed."
March 1.—On the previous Monday,
officers of Excise secured three horses laden with nearly six ankers of
smuggled whisky, on the north side of Kessock Ferry, on their way to
March 8.—A controversy arose in
connection with the Inverness Athanæum. It was alleged that of five London
daily papers received into the room, four had for some time been
Opposition papers, and that of eight taken in during the Queen’s trial,
seven were Opposition and only one Ministerial. It seems that there were
about 130 subscribers to the institution, and a number of these threatened
to resign unless both classes of newspapers were fairly represented. The
annual meeting agreed to take in three Ministerial and three Opposition
papers. It appeared to be uncertain, however, whether feeling would be
allayed. As the institution was in debt, the subscription was raised from
£1 is to £1. 10s per annum.
March 15.—A school for the
instruction of female children was opened in Inverness. The classes were
held in the Old Academy.
March 22.—"Yesterday the Rev. Mr
Scott was ordained minister of the burgher congregation of this place. A
number of the neighbouring ministers in the same connection attended on
this occasion, and the Rev. Mr Anderson, of Boghole, and Mr Kennedy, of
Keith, preached two very appropriate sermons. We understand that a new
meeting-house is immediately to be erected to accommodate this
congregation and their new pastor."
Ibid.—"A smuggling lugger discharged
part of a cargo of gin, brandy, tea, tobacco, &c., at a fishing village
near Alturlie Point, below Culloden, on Thursday, the 1st inst. Of the
whole cargo, only seven matts of coarse tobacco, containing about a cwt.
each, two boxes of tea, and a small quantity of snuff were seized.
Information was given to the Acting Supervisor in Inverness, not until
eight days after the landing, and after his proceeding to the place of
concealment he found that the whole smuggled goods had been removed."
Several seizures of the smuggled articles were afterwards made, amounting
in value to about £1000. The smuggling lugger succeeded in landing goods
at other places on the coast.
March 22.—This issue publishes a
correspondence between Glengarry and Clanranald arising out of the
question of the Chiefship.
Ibid.—"Died, on the 20th inst.,
Alexander Fraser, Esq. of Torbreck, in the 77th year of his age, deeply
and justly regretted."
April 12.—A half-witted man, named
Gunn, from Caithness, confined on a charge of sheep-stealing, effected his
escape with considerable ingenuity from the prison of Inverness. He got
out about two in the morning. "But in proof of his real insanity, instead
of profiting by having by many hours the start of his pursuers, he knocked
up the people of an adjoining public-house, boasted of what he had done,
and demanded some whisky. The consequence was that the alarm was
immediately given, and by ten o’clock he was taken a few miles beyond
Nairn. He had called at the jail of Nairn to visit a friend there on his
April 12.—Riots occurred at Gruids,
in Sutherland, in resistance of summonses of removal. A military force had
to be called in to quell the disturbance.
May 3.—This issue contains the
report of the trial at the Circuit Court of seven persons from Elgin
charged with. the stealing of a Bailie. The unfortunate person was Bailie
Francis Taylor, who had been carried away from Elgin and conveyed in a
boat to Brora, to prevent him acting in the Fife interest at the election
of 1820. The defence alleged that Taylor was a consenting party to his own
removal, and as the Crown considered the evidence for the prosecution
insufficient, they threw up the case, consenting to a verdict of not
May 10.—Mr Charles Grant, senior,
late M.P. for the county, presided at the annual meeting of the Inverness
Auxiliary of the Bible Society. The Society had that year transmitted £200
to the British and Foreign Bible Society, a much larger sum than had been
sent in any former year. A sum of £1050 in all had now been transmitted to
the parent institution.
Ibid.—"When Mr Charles Grant,
senior, retired from the representation of the county, he was requested by
the freeholders to sit for his picture, which was to be hung in the
Court-room here. The painting was some time ago finished by Raeburn, and
does great credit to his pencil. It was hung up before the meeting of the
Court at the late Assizes. The many obligations which this county and the
Highlands at large owe to the devoted zeal with which Mr Grant has, for a
large portion of his useful life, promoted every object connected with the
prosperity of the county, was very happily expressed by Dr Robertson at
the late public dinner in honour of his Majesty’s birthday. Dr Robertson
concluded his observations by saying that "Inverness-shire did not owe so
much to all the members who had represented the county since the Union, as
to the individual efforts of the late member." The portrait now hangs in
the Sheriff Court-room in the Castle.
May 17.—A conveyance was established
to run between Inverness and Cromarty once in ten days, for the
convenience of passengers going by the London smacks. It is stated that
the want of such a conveyance had hitherto "made the smacks nearly useless
to the people of this quarter." The vessels were said to be comfortable
and even elegant.
May 24.—"At Resolis, on the 14th
curt., the Rev. Robert Arthur, minister of the united parish of Kincardine
and Cullicuden, in the 78th year of his age and 47th of his ministry. He
was a man of respectable talents and gifts; a warm and animated preacher
of the Gospel; like our blessed Lord, he went about doing all the good in
his power to both the souls and bodies of men, having considerable skill
in medicine as well as theology."
May 31.—"Here, on the 20th inst.,
after a short illness, the Rev. Alexander Fraser, senior minister of this
town, in the 70th year of his age, and the 43rd of his ministry. The
gentleness and kindness of his disposition, his unfeigned piety, and
exemplary conduct, procured him the attachment of his friends and the
respect of his flock." The heritors and Magistrates made application to
have the Rev. Thomas Fraser, minister of the Third Charge, transferred to
the First. This they did in recognition of Mr Thomas Fraser’s zealous
labours in the community, and his attention to the poor and sick. He had
carried on his work for twenty years on a very slender stipend. Rev. Mr
Rose, who held the second charge, had "very handsomely waived his claims
in favour of his highly deserving colleague."
Ibid.—This issue announces the
beginning of a regular conveyance by steam vessels between Aberdeen and
Leith. "The ‘Tourist' arrived at Aberdeen on Thursday last (24th inst.)
betwixt eight and nine o’clock in the evening, in the face of a strong
northerly wind, from Leith, after calling at most of the intermediate
places; and another steam vessel, of like elegant description will put on
the trade in a few weeks, when one will sail from each port daily." The
vessel entered Aberdeen Harbour in grand style, with a band of music
June 14.—A man named William
Cochrane set up bathing machines at Seabank to encourage bathing in the
neighbourhood of Inverness.
Ibid.—The annual meeting of the
Northern Missionary Society was held at Inverness. Rev. Mr Smith,
Cromarty, preached in the High Church, and Rev. Mr Mackintosh, Tain, in
the Church-yard. A sum of £54 was collected at the door, and £58
contributed by subscription, making a total of £112.
Ibid.—A steam vessel called the
"Brilliant" was launched at Dumbarton. to complete the connection with
Inverness by way of Aberdeen. She was 106 feet keel length and 125 feet
deck, and had engines of 80 horse-power.
Ibid.—"Died, in Great Pulteney
Street, Bath, between two and three o’clock in the morning of Friday week,
the Right Hon. John Campbell, Lord Cawdor, of Castlemartin, Pembrokeshire.
His lordship is succeeded in his title and estates by the Hon. John
Frederick Campbell, M.P. for Carmarthen, who married the eldest daughter
of the Marquis of Bath."
June 21.—The Wool Market was held a
day or two before. The following prices were obtained:—For Cheviot wool,
18s to 20s per stone of 24 lbs. English. Some blackfaced wool sold at 20s
per double stone, but the market prices may be stated at from 18s to 20s.
Good wedders brought 20s; the general market price. 18s to 20s; Cheviot
ewes, 14s to 16s; black-faced ewes 12s; Cheviot lambs, 8s; blackfaced, 6s
to 7s. A considerable quantity of wool had been disposed of, but the more
opulent farmers had not accepted the offers of the staplers. All the sheep
were not disposed of.
Ibid—"Died, at Rosehall, on the 10th
inst., William Munro, gardener at Rosehall ever since 1747. As he was a
married man with a large family when he first came there, and had been
employed as a gardener elsewhere for several years, his age at that time
could scarcely be less than 30; and he must therefore have attained at
least the age of 104. Yet in spite of this extraordinary longevity, he
retained the full use of his faculties, and was able to walk about till
within a very short period before his death."
June 28.—Four persons who had been
convicted of theft and sentenced to transportation at the Circuit Court,
broke the jail at Nairn and escaped. One of them, a woman, was soon
July 5.—"The population of the town
and parish of Inverness has just been ascertained, and amounts to 12,194.
In 1811 it was 11,600, giving an increase of only 594. In 1811 a woollen
and a thread manufactory were in full employment in Inverness, both which
are now given up. The operations of the Canal were also carrying on in the
immediate neighbourhood of the town, which are now completed. These works
caused a great population in 1811, and are some of the reasons why the
increase is so small."
Ibid.—"As an instance of the
remarkable drought this season, Loch-Lomond has lately fallen fully seven
feet perpendicularly from the water mark; and persons pass and repass
between two of the islands on stepping stones which had been placed there.
Our own fine river is now lower than we ever remember to have seen it."
lbid.--The issue contains the report
of the Commissioners on Highland Roads and Bridges, giving a summary of
the work accomplished Since their appointment in 1803. They had expended
to the 31st of December 1820 the sum of £470,548. Parliamentary grants
amounted, with interest, to £252,390, and contributions by Highland
proprietors, with interest, to £212,860, a sum of over £5000 still
remaining to be provided. The Commissioners note with satisfaction that
they had absolutely avoided a single instance of litigation in all their
multiplied transactions, though the contracts to which they had been
parties were no less than 120 in number. They stated with regret, however,
that contractors and their cautioners had suffered to a large amount under
the strictness of the specifications. "Various memorials have been
successively transmitted from Scotland praying some compensation for
losses incurred; and the Commissioners now find with deep regret that the
very extent of the evil precludes them from giving any hope of relief, the
unavoidable losses of sureties, contractors and the creditors of these
contractors, being estimated at £34,000; their actual loss having been
probably twice that sum." The roads consisted of 874 miles, 1521 yards,
executed by means of Parliamentary grants and contributions from Highland
proprietors; 283 miles of military roads, and 24 miles of roads in Ross
and Cromarty, executed solely by county funds, but all of which were
repairable under an Act of 1819, the total extending to 1182 miles 1521
yards. The total number of bridges erected was 1117.
July 12.—The announcement is made of
the death of Napoleon Buonaparte (he is not called Emperor) in the Island
of St Helena on the 5th of May. A short article points the moral of his
extraordinary career and final destiny. The writer astutely remarks that
"by the death of Napoleon, this country will save considerably in money,
and lose what, in spite of the thrifty fit that is upon us just now, we
really value more—Continental influence."
Ibid.-Preparations were in progress
for the Coronation of George IV.
The Queen claimed as a right the honour of being
crowned. This was ultimately refused.
Ibid.—An advertisement announces
that hot and cold baths were about to be opened in Nairn.
July 19.—A correspondent writs—"Notwithstanding
the rapid progress of knowledge and civilisation in this country, the
whole rigid and impolitic order of ecclesiastical censure is still
observed in some Highland districts. Not many weeks ago a clergyman in one
of the Northern Counties caused a young woman stand and undergo censure
for three successive Sundays in presence of the congregation, although she
had been married at least seven months before she became a mother. This is
an excessively rigorous, if not an unwarrantable, exercise of the clerical
July 26.—This number contains a full
account of the King’s Coronation in Westminster Abbey on the 19th inst.
The Queen was refused admission. Dinners to celebrate the Coronation were
held at Inverness and other towns. At the end of the month the King left
on a visit to Ireland.
August 9.—"From August; 1819 to
March 1821 the Sutherlandshire Association paid, for the destruction of
vermin the sum of £320. The vermin destroyed during that time consisted of
112 full-grown eagles, 18 young eagles, 211 foxes, 317 wild cats, martins,
and pole cats; 516 ravens, 281 hawks, 1183 carrion crows and magpies, and
570 rooks and jackdaws."
Ibid.—A letter from Glengarry
explains why a lady was needlessly alarmed by his appearance at the
Coronation. He was dressed in the full costume of a Highland Chief,
including a brace of pistols. At a particular stage Glengarry happened to
carry one of the pistols in his hand, and this alarmed the lady.
August 16.—Several columns are
devoted to the death of the Queen, with comments from the London papers.
It is stated that her Majesty’s death, "so sudden in itself, and closing
as it does a life pursued by evil fortune, appears to be profoundly felt
by the nation." Her demise was announced in the "Gazette" with the usual
symbols of mourning, and at the houses of the principal nobility the
window shutters were closed. Later, at the funeral procession of the Queen
through London, there was a disturbance and two men were killed by
military fire. During this time the King was in Ireland.
Ibid.—The Inverness Central School
was opened on Monday the 13th. About 64
children were enrolled.
Ibid—Opposition was made to the
clergyman presented to the living of the parish of Kiltarlity. Some of the
parishioners shut up the doors and windows of the church to prevent him
gaining admission. The presentee preached in the open air.
August 23.—The steamer Brilliant
reached Inverness on the night of the 22nd. A great many persons flocked
to the Canal Basin, where she was expected to moor, but to their
disappointment the vessel stopped at Kessock. "The Billliant started from
Newhaven at 6 o’clock Tuesday morning, reached Peterhead at 8 in the
evening, and starting again at 6 o’clock on Wednesday, reached Inverness
about 8. The time in which the voyage was performed (including calls) was
exactly 29 hours." Previous to this the Brilliant sailed from the West
Coast round the Pentland Firth to Aberdeen and Leith. "This is said to be
the first vessel that ever got through the Pentland Firth and round
Duncansbay Head, against the full force of a stream tide and strong
August 30.—The new Parish Church of
Rosemarkie was opened on the 12th inst—A show of sheep, for premiums given
by the Highland Society, was held at Golspie on the 23rd.
September 6.—Prominence is given to
the report of a concert, which opens with the remark that "the visits of
good musicians to this country are like those of angels, few and far
between." The vocalists were Mr Welsh, Mr Horn, and Miss Wilson, whose
names may possibly be recalled by those familiar with the singing of the
time. Miss Wilson was the favourite.
Ibid.—"Died, on the 23rd ult. James,
youngest son of James Grant, Esq. of Bught, a youth in his 18th year, who
lost his life while bathing in the river Lea, near Hertford College. The
untimely fate of this amiable young man has occasioned universal sorrow
among those who knew him."
September 13.—Died, at Drumduan,
Fortes, on the 7th inst., James Miller late mathematical instrument maker
at 12 Blewitt's Building, Fetter Lane, London. He was a native of Forres,
and by trade a blacksmith. Having gone to London, he boarded in the house
of a sextant-maker, and soon became a skilful worker, ultimately acquiring
distinction by effecting improvements in mathematical instruments. He had
the honour to receive several gold and silver medals from the London
Society of Arts.
September 20.—Public rooms were
opened at Kingussie on the 14th, and pony and foot races were held. The
Marquis of Tweeddale was judge of the races. A party dined at Pitmain Inn,
the Marquis of Huntly presiding. A ball, held in the new rooms in the
evening, was attended by 100 ladies and gentlemen. The Marchioness of
Huntly was present.
Ibid..—Soaking rains and sultry heat
had greatly damaged the crops in England, and prices rose considerably in
the corn markets. Harvest work in the North, however, was carried on under
favourable conditions. The accounts from England were exaggerated, and
prices afterward rather declined.
September 27.—The Northern Meeting
was held the previous week, an earlier date than in previous years. The
change was considered satisfactory, and "the concourse of fashionable
company was unusually great."
Ibid.—A change was about to take
place in the mails all over the country, accelerating speed. To the south
of Aberdeen the rate was to be nine miles an hour; from Aberdeen to
Inverness, eight miles an hour; and from Inverness to Thurso, seven miles
an hour. The times for despatch and arrival were also changed. The effect
was to save nearly a day between Wick and Edinburgh, and a full day
between Edinburgh and London.
October 4.—The revenue of the
Inverness Common Good, derived from Petty Customs, tolls at the two
bridges, anchorage and shore dues, &c., amounted this year to £993 15s,
being an increase of £70 on the previous year.
Ibid—At a county meeting, Mr Fraser-Tytler
called attention to the question of a new gaol and Court-house for
Inverness. The subject had been before the meeting on a previous occasion,
and a remit to the Convener was continued, with instructions to correspond
with other counties. At the same meeting attention was directed to the
expense of keeping up the military roads in the county, and suggestions
were made for reducing the expense.
October 11.—Two columns giving an
account of an adventure on the Alps are contributed to this issue, under
the initials JA. (probably John Anderson). Other issues about this time
contain cleverly written papers on the situation and appearance of the
town of Inverness. The writer mentions the floats of timber which were
conducted down the river by a single raftsman, guided by a long pole.
October 18.—"We are desired by the
ministers of Kingussie and Laggan to state that the young laird of Cluny
has handsomely bestowed on the poor of these parishes the purse of 11
guineas which he won at the pony race run at Kingussie on the 14th ult.,
excepting 2 guineas given to the boy who rode the pony?"
October 25.—Mr Mackenzie of Newhall
presented the Rev. Donald Sage, minister of the Gaelic Chapel of Ease, in
Aberdeen, to the church and united parishes of Kirkmichael and Culicudden,
vacant by the death of the Rev. Robert Arthur.—The death is recorded in
the same issue of Colonel Colin Mackenzie C.B., of the Madras Engineers,
Surveyor-General of India. Colonel Mackenzie had rendered eminent services
to the Company and to science in general, by active and indefatigable
researches into the history and antiquities of India. He was a native of
the Lews, and was very liberal to private and public charities in the
island. Colonel Mackenzie was 68 years of age, and spent 40 years in the
service of the Company.
November 1.—A correspondence at this
time was going on about cattle markets and a resolution adopted by drovers
not to go beyond Conon-Bridge. The drovers complained that further north
they were subjected to many inconveniences, and that cattle purchased by
them were seized for trespass if they went ever so little off the highway.
The then owner of Ardross seems to have been peculiarly vigilant in
seizing cattle straying from the old drove road from Kincardine to
Strathrusdale. The drovers likewise complained of the site of the market
held at Kyle.
November 22.—"The new Chapel of the
United Associate Congregation in this place was opened on Sunday last, by
the Rev. Mr Stark, of Forres, who preached three discourses in the course
of the day to very crowded congregations; when a collection amounting to
£15 15s was made to be applied in aid of the expense of building the
November 29.—"On Saturday night, or
rather early on Sunday morning, Mr Fraser, supervisor of Excise,
accompanied by Mr Mackay, Collector’s clerk, discovered at the Abban,
behind Huntly Place, five men and three women, conveying several smell
casks of smuggled whisky into the town for sale. On the officers
attempting to make a seizure, a scuffle ensued between them and the
smugglers, when the latter got off with all their booty, except one small
cask, which was secured by the officers. Both parties were a good deal
hurt in the affray, and one of the smugglers is so ill that he has been
sent to the Infirmary."
December 6.—There is a report of a
curious Excise case tried at a Justice of Peace Court at Inverness. The
master of a smack called the Janet, had on her voyage from Leith picked up
a considerable quantity of gin, which had been landed and concealed on the
premises of the shoremaster. On the Excise officers making inquiry, the
shoremaster denied all knowledge of the gin, but after a search, 18 kegs
were discovered under ground in his garden, with cabbage planted over
them, and several pints were found in a jar in his kitchen. The Excise
sued for heavy penalties. The defence was that the complaint was wrongly
laid; that the gin had been found on the high seas and came under the
denomination of flotsam; that under the statute the finder was obliged
within 24 hours after landing the kegs to give notice to the Excise; that
in this case the Excise had not waited for 24 hours, but had seized the
gin before the expiry of that period; and hence that no penalty was due.
The Court admitted the soundness of the plea, and exonerated the
defenders. Notice was then given that an action of damages would be raised
against the officers for having detained the smack from the 6th of October
till the beginning of December.