RELICS OF ANTIQUITY
FOUND IN LOCH KINNORD.
1. Sculptured Stone—
Forming Frontispiece to present work,
and found at Claggan, north shore; now at Aboyne. See "Sculptured
Stones of Scotland," plate
vol. I.; and present
History, page 43.
2. Baptismal Font—
South shore, near site of ancient
Chapel and burying ground. See "Proceedings of Society of
and present History, page 75.
3. Stone Cup—
Found at Bogangore, west end of lake,
now in possession of Mr. Wm, Macpherson, Bogangore.
1. Bronze Vessel—
Found near Castle Island about 1833,
by Mr John Mac-pherson. See "Proceedings of Society of Antiquaries,"
vol. VI., plate IV.
2. Bronze Spear Head—
Found near south shore of lake by Mr
John Simpson, Mickle Kinnord, July, 1874. Roman.
Found about 1828 near the Castle
Island by Mr. J. Macpherson. It was 4 ft long, and steeled at the
point— belonged probably to the last age of the fortress.
2. Axe Head—
Found about the same date as the
above, and near the same place. It is not ancient, and probably
belonged to the same period as the crowbar.
1. Oak (Usually called grey oak)—
Beams and planks in great abundance,
mostly near the site of the drawbridge, but often in other parts of
the lake—large size, and usually shaped with edged tools. Principal
periods of discovery—1781, 1787, 1804, 1826—30, and 1859—61.
Belonged to drawbridge.
2. Black Oak—
Periods of discovery as above; more
plentiful at earlier than later date; planks split, sometimes
charred, of rude workmanship. Supposed to have belonged to the early
3. Wooden Breakwater—
See "Proceedings of Society of
4. Oak Piles—
Interlaced with wooden horizontal
piles, and overlaid with stones. Ancient Crannog.
5. Wooden Frame Work—
West end of lake—supposed ruins of an
ancient Crannog. See "Proceedings of Society of Antiquaries,,, vol.
Of coble shape—supposed to belong to
last period- of the Fort See "Proceedings of Society of
Antiquaries," vol. VI.
Brought to land 16th June, 1859. It
measured 22£ feet long by 3J feet wide at the stern, tapering to a
point at the prow. See " Proceedings of Sooiety of Antiquaries," voL
VI., and present work, page 122.
Other two canoes, recovered on 10th
August, 1875, similar to the above, the one 29J feet in length, the
other 30} feet—to be seen still on the shores of the lake. See
present work, pages 122-3.
Another canoe, not yet recovered, but
discovered at the bottom of the lake near artificial island, August,
1875. Seepage 124.
The Etymology of the word Kinnord
presents no unusual difficulty. It is evidently a corruption of the
Celtic Cean n' airdh (the end of the height), which is descriptive
of the locality, whether the height referred to be the ridge of
Culblean, or, as is more likely, the Ord at the end of which the Al
was situated, as explained at page 39.
The following list, though not
complete, will show most of he changes in spelling the name has
Canmore,......Fordoun and Wynton.
Cawnmoir,......Ancient Huntly Papers.
Lockicanmor, .... Sir Robert Gordon's History.
Lockcannor,.....Straloch Papers and Robertson's Map.
Render,.......Ancient Acts of Parliament.
Kinord,.......Common Local Spelling.
The last recommends itself as being
the closest to the original, and has therefore been adopted in the