the population of Lenzie was small, most of the resident families were
connected with one or other of the churches of Kirkintilloch, but met
together on Sunday evenings at Lenzie, the meetings being latterly
conducted by the Rev. Mr. Caldwell, of the United Presbyterian Church,
then resident at Lenzie as teacher of the academy. The waiting-room on
the north side of the station was used for the purpose, and, after a
time, the Lenzie Hall; and when Mr. Caldwell removed from the locality,
arrangements were made by which clergymen of almost every evangelical
denomination were invited and gave their services.
23rd September, 1873, the Presbytery of the United Presbyterian Church,
upon a petition being presented to them, agreed to form a congregation
of twenty-five members of the Free and the United Presbyterian Churches
under their care. The Rev. William Miller, of Falkirk, was, on 8th
March, 1874, presented with a unanimous call to become their pastor,
which he accepted, and was inducted on 28th March.
church was opened for service on 8th August, 1875, the collection for
the day amounting to £434 4s. 7d. The total cost of the church was about
,£4,030; and in 1875 the congregation purchased a manse, at a cost,
including fittings and embellishments, of about £1,900.
church was clear of debt some years ago, and has since been painted, and
an organ provided. The members now number over 300.
the results attained by this congregation it is evident that a hearty
spirit of unanimity and liberality must have pervaded it from first to
last; all the more gratifying as arising from a fusion of several
denominations, of which it is to be regretted there are so many.
other two churches of Lenzie are—the Established, Rev. William Brownlie,
A.M.; and the Episcopal, Rev. Henry W. Kirby; but we regret that, for
lack of information, we can give no particulars of these.