Although not a native,
had the good fortune to be married to a Kirkintilloch lady.
Sir James was born in
Glasgow, and was the son of Mr. George M'Culloch, contractor; became a
partner in the firm of J. & A. Dennistoun, and went to Melbourne in
1853, to establish a branch there.
After conducting it for
ten years he founded a new firm in Melbourne, under the style of
M‘Culloch, Sellars & Co.
He was twice president of
the chamber of commerce, and chairman of several banks and leading
public companies of Melbourne.
Being strongly interested
in the politics of the colony he soon was called on to fill some minor
ministerial positions, and afterwards rose to be premier from 1862 till
1868, and, with slight intervals, till 1871. At the visit of H.R.H. the
Duke of Edinburgh to the colony, Mr. M£Culloch was knighted, and shortly
afterwards paid a visit to Europe, and acted as agent-general for
Victoria In 1874 he received the title of K.C.M.G. For a second time he
became premier in 1875, and retained office till May, 1877, but his
popularity, at one time very great, had waned, and he soon afterwards
retired from public life, and went to England to live.
Sir James died at
Garbrand Hall, Ewell, Surrey, on 30th January, 1893, in the
seventyfourth year of his age, and was buried in the Necropolis,
Glasgow; the scene of his early days, but far from the colony where the
best part of his life and energies were spent.
Lady M‘Culloch, his
second wife—formerly Miss Inglis— who survives him, was long known and
respected in Kirkintilloch for her amiability of character and the
active interest she took in the industrial schools and every benevolent