surname of (see previous page in this volume). In Normandy there
were lands and a lordship denominated Hay, and in the roll of the
adventurers who accompanied William the Conqueror into England in
1066, le sieur de la Haye is expressly mentioned, besides others of
the same name. The two most ancient families of this surname in
Scotland are those of Errol (see ERROL, earl of.) And Tweeddale (see
TWEEDDALE, marquis of,) who use the same armorial bearings as do
those families of the name in Italy, France, and England. Sir George
Hay, descended from a younger branch of the same stock as that of
the earl of Errol, was created, in 1627, Viscount Dupplin and Lord
Hay of Kinfauns, and in 1633 earl of Kinnoul (see KINNOUL, earl of).
Sir James Hay of Fingask, uncle of the first earl of Kinnoul, was
created in 1609 Lord Bewlie, and his son, Sir James Hay of
Pitcorthie, Fifeshire, who accompanied King James the Sixth into
England, and was one of his especial favourites, was in 1615 created
by him Lord Hay of Sawlie in the peerage of England, in 1618
viscount Doncaster, and in 1622 earl of Carlisle; which titles
became extinct on the death of his only so, James Hay, second earl
of Carlisle, in 1660.
of Hay of Smithfield and Haystone are descended from John, 3d Lord
Hay of Yester, of the house of Tweeddale, by his 2d marriage with
the daughter and heiress of the ancient family of Dickson of
Smithfield, Peebles-shire. By this lady he had, with one daughter,
Jean, wife of George Broun of Colstoun, progenitor of the baronets
of that name, one ons, John, of Smithfield, living in 1525. The
latter had 3 sons. 1. James, 2. Thomas, 3. John, of Kingsmeadows,
whose descendants carried on the line of the family.
son, James, succeeded his father, and dying without issue, his
brother, Thomas, inherited the estate. On this gentleman’s death, in
1570, his son, John, Hay, became proprietor of Smithfield, and at
his decease in 1628, was succeeded by his only surviving son, James.
by James VI., in 1624, esquire of his body, James Hay of Smithfield
was, July 20, 1635, created a baronet of Nova Scotia, the patent
being accompanied by a grant of land in Nova Scotia, to be
thenceforth called the barony and regality of Smithfield. Sir James
had, with a daughter, Mary, married to Sir James Douglas, afterwards
earl of Morton, 2 sons; 1. John, his successor in the title, but
whom he disinherited with a legacy of £1,000; 2. William, who
succeeded to the estates, and died without issue.
the 2d baronet, died in 1654. His eldest son, Sir John, 3d baronet,
died in 1659.
eldest son, Sir James, succeeded as 4th baronet. Born in
1652, this gentleman was the last representative of the Smithfield
branch. He died, without male issue, in 1683.
kinsman of the last baronet, James Hay, M.D., who had succeeded to
Haystone, the property of his father, in 1762, preferred, in 1805, a
claim to the dormant title. This Dr. Hay was the eldest son of John
Hay of Haystone, great-great-grandson of John Hay, Esq. of
Kingsmeadows, youngest son of the first John Hay of Smithfield. His
claim was allowed by a jury assembled at Peebles, Nov. 9, the same
year (1805), and he, in consequence, became 5th baronet.
He had 3 sons and 4 daughters. He died Oct. 21, 1810.
son, Sir John, 6th baronet, born January 15, 1755,
married in 1785, Mary Elizabeth, youngest daughter of James, 16th
Lord Forbes, and had 5 sons and 6 daughters. He died May 23, 1830.
Sir John, 7th baronet, M.P., born Aug. 3, 1768, died,
without issue, Nov. 1, 1838.
brother, Sir Adam, succeeded as 8th baronet. Born Dec.
14, 1795, he married in 1823, Henrietta Callendar, eldest daughter
of William Grant, Esq. of Congalton, Haddingtonshire; issue 4 sons
and 5 daughters. His eldest son, John William, born Feb. 15, 1824,
was at one period a captain Scots fusilier guards.
of Hay of Park, Wigtownshire, which possesses a baronetcy of Nova
Scotia (1683), are descended from Thomas Hay, Esq. of Dalgery, a
cadet of the noble house of Errol. Soon after the Reformation in
Scotland, he acquired the estate of Park, a part of the abbey lands
great-grandson, Sir Thomas Hay of Park, 1st baronet, with
a daughter, wife of Sir A. Agnew of Lochnaw, had a son, Sir Charles,
2d baronet, who married a daughter of Sir Patrick Agnew, bart. Of
Lochnaw, and had 2 sons and 2 daughters.
the elder son, predeceased his father, leaving, by his wife May,
daughter of Sir William Maxwell of Monreith, Thomas, and other sons.
James, the 2d son, a physician in Dumfries, married Dorothea
Crichton of Crawforton, with issue, who carried on the line of the
family. Sir Thomas, grandson of Sir Charles, succeeded him as 3d
baronet. By his wife, Jean, daughter of Blair of Dunskey, he had a
son, Sir Thomas, and a daughter, Susannah.
was succeeded by his only son, sir Thomas, 4th Baronet,
on whose death, April 30, 1794, without issue, the estate of Park
devolved upon his sister, Susannah, wife of John Dalrymple, Esq. of
Dunraget, who assumed the additional surname of Hay, and was created
a baronet of the United Kingdom, April 20, 1798.
baronetcy of 1683 reverted to the cousin of Sir Thomas, James,
eldest son of William Hay, Esq. of Crawforton, elder son of Dr.
James Hay, 2d son of Sir Charles, 2d baronet.
5th baronet, was succeeded by his son, Sir William, 6th
baronet, at whose decease, unmarried, Oct. 7, 1801, the title
devolved on his cousin, Sir John, 6th baronet, only son
of lieutenant-colonel Lewis Hay, Royal Engineers, who was killed at
the landing of the British troops at the Helder, Aug. 27, 1799. Col.
Hay married Barbara, daughter of John Craigie, Esq. of Glendoick,
Perthshire, with issue, 2 sons and 5 daughters. The daughters were,
1. Agnes Clark, married John Irving, Esq., Edinburgh. 2, Dorothea
Judith, wife of J. Taylor, Esq., Solicitor of Stamps and Taxes for
Scotland. 4. Lewis Hately, married J. Richardson, Esq., Edinburgh.
5, Elizabeth Graham, died unmarried.
son, Sir John, 7th baronet, born Aug. 29, 1799, passed
advocate in 1821, and was appointed sheriff-substitute of
Stirlingshire. From that office he retired in January 1861. He
married, in 1836, Sarah Beresford, daughter of John Cossins, Esq. of
Weymouth, and grand-daughter of George, 18th Lord Audley;
issue, 6 sons and 2 daughters.
progenitor of the family of Hay of Alderstone and Hermiston,
Berwickshire, was Sir John Hay of Barra, of the family of Fala, lord
clerk register in the reign of Charles I., lineally descended from
Sir Edmund Hay of Linplum, younger brother of Sir David Hay of
Yester, ancestor of the marquis of Tweeddale. While very young he
was employed by the city of Edinburgh to welcome King James the
Sixth at the West Port of that city, on his visit to Scotland in
1617, and his Latin Oration on the occasion is preserved in a work
called ‘The Muses’ Welcome,’ published at Edinburgh. He at first
held the office of town-clerk, and afterwards that of provost of
Edinburgh. On 9th March 1632 he was knighted by King
Charles. On 8th January following, he was preferred to be
lord clerk register, and appointed a lord of session. In 1637 he was
one of the chief advisers of the introduction of the Service Book,
and in consequence was forced soon after to retire into England. In
1641 he resigned all his offices into the king’s hands, his
dismission being dated 17th July that year, when he
received a warrant on the Scottish exchequer for £5,000 sterling,
and £400 per annum during its nonpayment. Being accused of treason,
he returned with the king to Scotland to answer the charges brought
against him, and was committed to the castle of Edinburgh. In
January and February 1642 he was tried by a committee of the
Estates, but nothing could be proved against him. On the marquis of
Montrose coming south he joined him, and was taken prisoner at
Philiphaugh. It is said he only escaped the scafford by bribing the
earl of Lanark with the rents of his estate during his life. On
obtaining his liberty, he retired to Duddingstone, in the
neighbourhood of Edinburgh, where he died 20th November
1654. He was twice married, and had a large family by both wives.
His 2d son by his 2d wife, Thomas Hay of Hermiston, was the first of
the Hays of Alderstone, and his 3d son, by the same lady, George
Hay, was father of Richard Hay, commonly called “Father Hay,” an
antiquary of great research. Born at Edinburgh in 1601, according to
his own expression, he was ‘thrust’ into the Scots College in France
in 1673 or 1674. He left France in 1686, to establish a society of
canons regular in Scotland, but at the Revolution again went to
France, where he died.
Hay, the 2d son of the 2d marriage, married Anna, daughter of Sir
John Gibson, baronet of Pentland; issue, Sir John, his heir, and 4
other sons. Alexander Hay of Huntingdon, his 3d son, sheriff-depute
of East Lothian, who died in 1745, left 2 sons; 1. Thomas, a lord of
session, under the title of Lord Huntingdon, and 2. John Hay of
Restalrig, secretary to Prince Charles, attainted in 1745.
the eldest son of Thomas Hay, was created a baronet of Nova Scotia
in 1703. He married Catherine, daughter of sir George Suttie,
baronet, and died in 1706.
son, Sir Thomas, 2d baronet, captain of dragoons, died, without
issue, Nov. 26, 1769. His brother, Sir George, 3d baronet, married
Barbara, only child of Henry MacDougall, Esq. of Makerstoun,
Roxburghshire, and had a son and a daughter, wife of John Scott,
Esq. of Gala.
Sir Henry Hay McDouglas, 4th baronet, married in 1782,
Isabella, daughter of Admiral Sir James Douglas, baronet, and had 3
daughters; 1. Anna Marie, married General Sir Thomas Brisbane,
bart.; 2. Henrietta, and 3. Elizabeth.
Henry’s death, April 13, 1825, the title devolved on his kinsman,
Sir Thomas Hay, 5th baronet, son of Alexander Hay of
Mordington, advocate, eldest son of Lord Huntingdon, above
mentioned. Sir Thomas married Anna, widow of Major Bingham and
daughter of Sheffield Howard, Esq. of New York; issue, 2 sons and 2
daughters. Sir Thomas died in 1833.
son, Sir James Douglas Hamilton Hay, 6th baronet, married
in 1819 the daughter of William Sanderson, Esq.; issue, 5 sons and 5
baronetcy is also possessed by the family of Dalrymple Hay of Park
Place, Wigtownshire, a branch on the male side of the same family as
that of the earl of Stair.
Dalrymple, 2d son of James Dalrymple of Stair, became possessed of
the estate of Dunragget, which, at one time, belonged to a family of
the name of Baillie, a branch of the Baillies of Lamington. The
first of the Baillies of Dunragget was Cuthbert, lord high treasurer
of Scotland, who died in 1514, and the last was Thomas Baillie,
connected by marriage with the M’Kerlies, an ancient Galloway family
(see M’KERLIE, surname of). His father, Alexander Baillie, was in
June 2, 1681, served heir to his father, William Baillie, was in
June 2, 1681, served heir to his father, William Baillie, in the
lands of Dunragget, &c. His accidental death, having been drowned in
the Cree, and his son’s childhood, gave the Stair family an
opportunity t obtain possession of the estate.
Dalrymple’s son, James Dalyrmple of Dunragget, married Grace,
daughter of Patrick MacDowal, Esq. of Freugh, and died May 15, 1776,
leaving a son, John Dalrymple of Park Place, Wigtownshire, who,
marrying Susannah, only daughter of Sir Thomas Hay, 3d baronet of
Park, assumed the additional surname of Hay, as above stated, on her
succeeding, in 1794, to the estates of his brother, Sir Thomas Hay,
the 4th baronet of that family, and was himself created a
baronet of the United Kingdom, April 20, 1798. He died in May 1812.
son, Sir James Dalrymple Hay, 2d baronet, born July 8, 1789 (died
March 19, 1861), married first, in 1819, Elizabeth, daughter of
Lieutenant-General Sir John Heron Maxwell, of Springkell, baronet,
issue, one son, John Charles, 3d baronet, born Feb. 11, 1821, capt.
R.N., married with issue; and 2dly, in 1823, Anne, daughter of
George Hathorn, Esq.; issue 3 sons and 5 daughters.
Rannes, Aberdeenshire, see LEITH HAY.
Hay of Easter Kennet, of the house of Park, was in March 1564
nominated clerk of the privy council, and in 1577 was appointed
director of the chancery. In 1579 he obtained the office of clerk
register, and made a lord of session, when he took the title of Lord
Easter Kennet. In the same year he was nominate a commissioner anent
the jurisdiction of the Kirk, and in 1581 a member of the commission
for the visitation and reformation of hospitals. He was also an
arbiter in the deadly feud then existing between the families of
Gordon and Forbes. In 1589 he accompanied King James to Denmark, as
interim secretary for the Scottish language. He died Sept. 19, 1594.
His younger son, Sir Alexander Hay of Newton and Whitburgh, was also
a lord of session (1610), under the title of Lord Newton. Appointed
clerk register July 30, 1612, he died in 1616, when Sir George Hay,
afterwards earl of Kinnoul, succeeded him in the latter office.
family of Hay of Braco, in Banffshire, was Lieutenant-general James
Hay, C.B., who died 10th March 1854. During the
Peninsular war he served in the 16th lancers, and was
present at the passage of the Douro, and the capture of Oporto; and
also in the affair with the French rear-guard at Salamonde; at the
battle of Talavera, and the actions at Redinha, Condeixa, Fox
d’Avace, and Sabugal; and at the battle of Fuentes d’Onor. In an
affair with the ‘Lancers de Berg,’ near Especia, General (then
Captain) Hay commanded the regiment, and took their colonel, a ‘chef
d’escadron,’ and seventy-nine men prisoners. In reference to this
the duke of Wellington in his despatches, mentions that “Captain Hay
greatly distinguished himself.” At the commencement of the action at
Salamanca his right arm was broken, and he was several times engaged
with the enemy during the siege of Burgos, and on the retreat to
Portugal. He was also in command at the battles of Vittoria, the
Nivelle, and the Nive, the passage of the Bidassoa and the Adour,
and the entry into Bordeaux He commanded the 16th lancers
at the battles of Quatre Bras and Waterloo, at which latter he was
so severely wounded as to render it necessary that he should be left
for eight days on the battle-field before he could be removed into
Brussels. For his services in the Peninsula, and in the field
generally, he was nominated a commander of the Bath, and promoted to
a lieutenant-colonelcy. For Vittoria and Nive he obtained a gold
medal and clasp; and for Talavera, Fuentes d’Onor, and Nivelle, the
silver war medal and three clasps; and for the battle of Waterloo
was gazetted a companion of the Bath, and in 1851 promoted to be
lieutenant-general. At the time of his death he was colonel of the
79th or Cameronian Highlanders.