surname derived from the lands of Maxton in Roxburghshire. A
family of this name has for centuries owned the estate of
Cultoquey, Perthshire, which, during the time that it has been
in their possession, has never, it is said, been larger or
smaller than when they got it. They had the same common ancestor
as the Maxwells, the one name being derived from Maccus-tun, a
Saxon termination, and the other from Maccus-well (in course of
time shortened into Maxton and Maxwell,) to denote the manor and
well of Maccus, a Saxon baron who came into Scotland at an early
period, and received a grant of lands upon the Tweed.
Robert de Maxtone
had a charter of the lands of Cultoquey dated 1410, but that the
family possessed the estate previous to that time is proved by
mention being made of them in charters of other houses of older
date. His descendant, Robert Maxtone of Cultoquey, who had a
charter of the lands of Ardoch in 1487, was slain at Flodden in
1513. Anthony Maxtone of the same family, was, in the reign of
Charles I., prebendary of Durham. The succession in the male
line has been uninterrupted from father to son from the first.
The 13th proprietor, James Maxtone Graham, Esq. of Cultoquey,
born June 20, 1819, succeeded his father in 1846.
One of the
proprietors of this house is celebrated for having repeated the
following curious addition to his litany every morning at a well
near his residence:
From the greed of
From the pride of the Grahams,
From the ire of the Drummonds,
And the wind of the Murrays,
Good Lord deliver us.
His estate was
surrounded by the Breadalbane, Montrose, Perth, and Athol
families, and he thus showed his apprehensions of his more
Graham of Cultoquey, married in 1851, the daughter of George E.
Russell, Esq., East India Companys Service. In 1859 he
succeeded to the estate of Redgorton, Perthshire, on the death
of his uncle, Robert Graham, Esq., cousin of the celebrated Lord
Lynedoch, and in consequence assumed the name and arms of Graham
under letters patent of the Lord Lyon.