YOUNG, the surname
of a Forfarshire family, who at one period possessed the estate of
Auldbar, on the right bank of the Southesk.
John Young, merchant
burgess of Edinburgh, in 1541, married Margaret Scrymgeour, daughter of
Scrymgeour of Glaswell, and sister of Henry Scrymgeour, professor of
philosophy, and afterwards of civil law, at Geneva; another sister
married the father of Master James Melvil. John Young was also a burgess
of Dundee, and died there on 31st August 1538, in the 86th year of his
age. His surviving children were; 1. John, provost of the collegiate
church at Dysart. 2. Peter, afterwards Sir Peter. 3. Alexander, usher of
the privy chamber to King James VI., died 29th September 1603, without
issue; Isabella and Joanna. His other children died in childhood, except
Henry, killed in Schonen in the service of the king of Sweden.
Peter was born at Dundee,
15th August 1544. He and his brother Alexander were educated under the
care and apparently at the charge of their maternal uncle, Henry
Scrymgeour, but their more immediate teacher was Theodore Beza. On 4th
January 1569, Peter was appointed, on the recommendation of the regent
Moray, assistant preceptor to James VI., and shortly after became, along
with George Buchanan, a pensioner of Queen Elizabeth, the one receiving
£100 and the other £30 sterling per annum. After the king became of age
Young was made almoner, and retained that office till his death. He was
employed in various embassies, was one of the Octavians, a member of the
queen’s (Anne of Denmark) council, and was engaged in various matters
relating to religion and to the universities. He received his share of
church lands, and also bought largely. His residence and estate, whence
he took his designation was Easter Seaton, part of the abbey lands of
Arbroath. He was knighted by the king at Whitehall 19th February 1605,
and had at the same time a grant of a pension of £300 sterling per
He married, first, 4th
February 1577, Elizabeth Gib, a daughter or granddaughter of Robert Gib,
the celebrated jester or fool to King James V., a good example of the
proverb that “it takes a wise man to be a fool.” Rob became laird of
Carruber, and his descendants remained long about the court, several
having been knighted. Sir Peter Young had by his first wife; 1. Marie,
born 1st June 1579; married John Douglas of Tilliquhillie. 2. and 3.
James and Henry, twins, born 10th June 1580. The former was knighted by
the king at his baptism and made gentleman of the bedchamber. 4.
Margaret, born 14th November 1581; married David Lindsay of Kinnettles.
5. and 6. Peter and Robert, twins, born 1st July 1583. Peter, the fifth
son, a gentleman of the bedchamber to King Charles I., was in the suite
of the earl of Spencer, sent on a special mission to Gustavus Adolphus
with the order of the Garter, and was knighted by that monarch in 1628.
He died 6th February 1631. His twin-brother, Robert, travelled as tutor
to some nobleman, and died at Westin 17th March 1620, on his return from
the Holy Land, and while writing his travels. 7. Patrick, a celebrated
Greek scholar and divine, of whom a memoir follows. 8. John, born 25th
June 1585, dean of Winchester, and chaplain to King James I. of England.
He had travelled with the Lord Wharton’s son, and acquired considerable
property in Fife. He founded a school at St. Andrews. He left his
estates to his nephew, Peter Young of Seaton; died in 1654 or 1655. 9.
and 10. Frederic and Joanna, twins, born 31st January 1587. 11. Michael,
born 6th November 1589; was educated at the charge of the king, and sent
to Sidney, Sussex college, Cambridge. 12. Anne, born 16th February 1590.
Sir Peter’s first wife, Elizabeth Gib, died at Leith 10th May 1595, and
on 6th May 1596, he married a second time, Dame Janet Murray, Lady
Torphichen, widow of the first temporal lord of that title, and daughter
of Murray of Polmaise. She died in November of that year. By Marjory
Mavine, daughter of Mavine of Sandfurde, his third wife, he had, 1.
Euphemia, born 20th April 1601, married Sir David Ogilvy of Clova. 2.
Elizabeth, born 11th February 1603. 3. Nicola, born 5th July 1604,
married David Boswell of Balmuto. 4. Arbella, born 18th December 1608,
married John Livingston, younger of Dunipace.
Sir Peter Young outlived
his pupil, James VI., and dying at his house of Easter Seaton on the 7th
January 1628, was buried at the parish church of St. Vigeans, where his
monument is still extant. Sir Peter was succeeded by his eldest son, Sir
James Young, knight, who had a grant of land in Ireland. He married,
first, Isobel Arbuthnot, a daughter of David Arbuthnot of Findourie, by
whom he had two sons; 1. Charles, who died young; 2. Peter, who
succeeded him in his estates in Scotland; and a daughter, Margaret,
married to Francis Duguld of Auchinhuif. Sir James married, secondly,
Jean Stewart, by whom he had a daughter, Ann, married to George Seton,
eldest son of William Seton of Mynnoris, Aberdeenshire. Dame Jean
Stewart married for her second husband Frederic Lyon of Brigton.
Several families of the
name of Young in the north of Ireland claim descent from Sir James
Young, and this may be; but it is certain that they are not descended
from the Youngs of Auldbar, as they also claim to be. They can only be a
collateral branch. Peter Young of Seaton married Isobel Ochterlony, a
daughter of Ochterlony of Wester Seaton, and had, 1. Robert, who
succeeded him; 2. Margaret, married in 1659 to Sir John Forbes of
Craigievar, baronet. Her tocher was 8,000 pounds Scots. 3. A daughter,
married to Guthrie of Westhall, from whom were descended Major John
Guthrie and his brothers, and the Guthries of Craigie. Peter Young sold
Easter Seaton and other lands, and purchased part of Auldbar in 1670.
Robert Young married Anna Graham, daughter of Sir William Graham of
Claverhouse, by whom he had, 1. David, his heir. 2. Anna, married to
James Barclay, younger of Galmakewan. 3. Cecilia, married to George
Leith of Overhall. 4. Elizabeth, (married to John Turnbull, younger of
Strickathrow;) and perhaps others. David Young had for his tutor the
celebrated Thomas Ruddiman, and married Marjory, eldest daughter of
Fothringham of Powrie, by whom he had, 1. Robert, his heir, and at least
one other son. 2. Anna, (married to Robert Ochterlony;) and apparently
other daughters. Robert succeeded his father in 1743, and sold Auldbar
to a relative, William Chalmers of Hazlehead. Robert Young and his
brothers and sisters, except Anna, died without issue. She was served
heir to her grandfather, Robert Young, 13th December 1768. Her son, John
Ochterlony, sold Kintrockat. He married Mary Roberta Skinner, and by her
had, 1. Robert; 2. Alexander, who died unmarried; and daughters.
In the Annual Register for 1759 is related, at page 122, an interesting
anecdote of a Captain Ochterlony who was killed at the siege of Quebec
in that year. The Ochterlonies were descended from Prince Rupert, thus;
Charles I. had a sister married to the Elector Palatine of Bohemia.
Prince Rupert, their son, had Mary Ruperta by Mrs. Hughes; Ruperta
married Brigadier-general Lord Hare; their daughter, Henrietta Hare,
(who was maid-of-honour to the princess of Orange, and cousin to the
duchess of Norfolk,) married David Skinner, Esq.; Mary Ruperta, their
eldest daughter, born 24th July 1737, married John Ochterlony, who was
born January 1736. Their children were Henrietta, Anne, Elizabeth,
Margaret. (See OCHTERLONY, also AUCHTERLONY.)
YOUNG, PATRICK, an eminent scholar, descended from an ancient
family, was born August 29, 1584, at Easter Seaton, in Forfarshire, the
residence of his father, Sir Peter Young, joint tutor with Buchanan to
James VI. At the age of fifteen he was sent to the university of St.
Andrews, where, on completing the usual course of academical study, he
received the degree of M.A. in 1603. Soon after he accompanied his
father to England, and having been introduced to the notice of Dr.
Lloyd, bishop of Chester, he was received into his house as his
librarian, or secretary. In 1605, he was incorporated M.A. at Oxford,
and, entering into deacon’s orders, he was made one of the chaplains of
All Souls’ college. This office he held for three years, and during that
time he employed himself chiefly in the study of ecclesiastical history,
and in cultivating the Greek language. Having gone to London with the
view of making his way at court, he obtained, through the interest of
Dr. Montague, bishop of Bath and Wells, a pension from the king of £50
per annum, and was occasionally employed by his majesty, and some of the
persons in power, in writing Latin letters. He was also tutor to the
young princes, Henry and Charles. By the influence of Bishop Montague he
was appointed to the superintendence of the Royal Library, then newly
founded by the king. IN 1617 Young went to Paris, with recommendatory
letters from Camden to many of the learned of that capital. ON his
return he assisted Mr. Thomas Read in translating King James’ works into
the Latin language. The volume was published in 1619, and, by his
majesty’s special command, he was sent with a presentation copy to the
universities of Oxford and Cambridge.
In 1620 Young married,
and though still only in deacon’s orders, was presented to two rectories
in Denbighshire. Soon after, he was collated to a prebend of St. Paul’s,
of which church he was made treasurer in 1621. On the death of Read, in
1624, he was appointed to the vacant post of Latin secretary to the
king. He assisted Selden in preparing for the press his edition of the
‘Arundellian Marbles,’ and the work was dedicated to Young. When the
Alexandrian manuscript of the Old and New Testament was added to the
treasures of the king’s library, Young carefully collated it with other
copies of the sacred volume, and communicated many various readings to
Usher, Grotius, and other learned men of the time. He had intended to
have published a facsimile of this manuscript, but circumstances
prevented the execution of the design. IN 1643, however, he printed a
specimen of his intended edition, containing the first chapter of
Genesis, with notes, and left at his death scholia, as far as the 15th
chapter of Numbers.
In 1633 he published an
edition of the ‘Epistles of Clemens Romanus,’ reprinted in 1637, with a
Latin version, ‘Catena Craecorum Patrum in Jobum, collectore Niceta,
Heracleae Metropolitae;’ to which he subjoined from the Alexandrian
manuscript a continued series of the books of Scripture, called Poetici.
In 1638 he published ‘Expositio in Canticum Canticorum Folioti Episcopi
Londinensis, una cum Alcuini in idem Canticum Compendio.’ He had made
preparations for editing various other manuscripts from the King’s
library, when the confusion of the civil wars, and its seizure by
parliament, put an end to all his plans. He retired to the house of his
son-in-law, Mr. John Atwood, a civilian at Bromfield, in Essex, where he
died, September 7, 1652. He left two daughters, Elizabeth, who married
John Atwood, Esq., and Sarah, who became the wife of Sir Samuel Bowes,