CAW, JOHN YOUNG
(1810?–1858), banker and miscellaneous writer, was born at Perth about
1810, but passed the last thirty years of his life in Manchester, where
he died on 22 Oct. 1858. He was educated at St. Andrews, whence he
proceeded to Trinity College, Cambridge, but did not stay to take a
degree. His first thoughts were of the Anglican ministry, but this
design was abandoned and he filled responsible positions in connection
with the Bank of Manchester and the Manchester and Salford Bank. His
leisure was devoted to literary and archŠological studies, and to the
extension of the offertory system in the church of England. He was a
fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, a member of the Royal
Society of Literature, and of various local associations. He wrote: 1.
‘Plan for the Endowment of the Church of St. Andrew, Ancoats,
Manchester,’ Manchester, 1846 (anonymous). 2. ‘The Necessity and
Advantages of a Bankers' Clearing House: addressed to the Commercial
Public of Manchester,’ Manchester, 1847. 3. ‘The Duty of Increasing the
Stipends of the Manchester Clergy, stated and proved by a practical
example,’ Manchester, 1852 (anonymous). 4. ‘Some Remarks on “The
Deserted Village” of Oliver Goldsmith,’ Manchester, 1852. The poet is
here surveyed from the standpoint of a political economist.
Caw had the reputation of an earnest-minded man of liberal disposition
and intellectual sympathies. He is buried at St. Luke's, Cheetham Hill,
and there is a memorial of him in the church of St. Andrew, Ancoats, of
which he was a benefactor.
[Grindon's Manchester Banks and Bankers; Manchester Courier, 30 Oct.
1858; Proceedings of Literary and Philosophical Society of Manchester,
1858; Catalogue of the Manchester Public Free Library.]