BY Royal Letter, dated 8th February 1563-4, Mr. James
Balfour, Parson of Flisk, Edward Henryson, Doctor of Laws, Clement
Little, Advocate, and Robert Maitland were appointed first Commissaries
The first volume of their Proceedings which is now
extant commences on 15th October 1567, but from a Chronological Index,
prepared several years ago by the Rev. Hew Scott, a few entries for the
years 1514 and 1532 have been obtained, and from the Minute-Book a
fragment of the contents of an earlier volume, commencing 3d May 1564
and ending 17th September 1565, have been got. The dates appended to
these names have been printed in italics. The spelling also, for the
sake of convenience in reference, has in many instances been modernised,
the older form being given in brackets.
The Editor has to acknowledge much assistance from
Mr. J. Maitland Thomson, Advocate, Curator of the Historical Department
General Register House.