Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

History of the Queen's Park Football Club 1867 - 1917
Chapter XXXVII.—The Pavilion

The members of the club were rather anxious to have the ground equipped with a pavilion to complete the scheme. The one designed by Mr. Millar in 1903 was a graceful structure, and would have lent dignity to the enclosure. The club, however, had other designs. Its chief object was to increase the stand accommodation, and at the same time make the best use possible on the available space for a stand and pavilion combined. The committee wished to hasten slowly, to clear off the debt on the new ground, which was accomplished in 1910, and then accumulate funds for the pavilion. This led naturally to some delay. The matter was always kept before the committee, and it was not until they saw their way clearly that they entered into the matter with a view to the completion of the work in the shortest possible time. The club had in March, 1914, the comfortable nest-egg of 6,200 on deposit receipt, and the wisdom of delay was thereby apparent. Afterwards Mr. Baptie was. authorised to draft plans and estimate the cost of carrying out the recommendations of the committee, which were, that the present centre stand be removed, and in place thereof a stand should be erected on practically the same lines as the other two stands, having the effect of joining the east and west stands, making a continuous line, with a press box above and room accommodation below.

The estimates for this turned out more costly than was anticipated, and some of the committee were for delay, but the majority were in favour of proceeding forthwith, notwithstanding the increased cost, and ultimately all were unanimous to lay the full scheme before the half-yearly general meeting, and urge the carrying out of the work at once. The meeting gave the necessary consent.

The Dean of Guild Court sanctioned the removal of the then existing centre stand, and the erection in its place of the new pavilion and centre stand. Specifications and schedules for the various contracts were issued. The steel work contract was given to the Steel Construction Company Limited, Possilpark. The old centre stand was sold to go to Dundee. Messrs. Herbertson & Son, measurers, went through all the schedules, and found the cost of the undertaking would amount to 5,350. The various estimates then accepted were: Mr. Elphinstone Forrest, for brick work; Messrs. D. MacFarlane & Co., for joiner work; Mr. J. M. Symington, for plumber work; Mr. M. Bertram Partridge, for slater work; Mr. J. Forbes, for plaster work; Messrs. Johnstone, Park & Co., electric lighting; Messrs. R. Brown & Sons, Paisley, for tile work; and Messrs. Shanks, for bath, lavatories, etc. Mr. James H. White, Mount Florida, was appointed clerk of works.

As from time to time the question of the erection of a pavilion was raised, associated with it was the further question of buying ground to south and east of Hampden Park to increase the banking on the east side, and secure a practice ground for the various teams. The former question of additional ground was thoroughly gone into, and had reluctantly to be abandoned. The committee made a definite promise, when Mr. John Gillespie raised the matter at the annual general meeting in April, 1813, that a full report on both the above questions would be submitted to the next half-yearly general meeting in October. No time was lost in setting to work, and first of all Mr. Blair was consulted, who recommended that Messrs. Baptie, Shaw & Morton, civil engineers, be employed, as it was more an engineering than an architectural matter; which was done. A large deputation from the club, accompanied by Mr. Baptie, of the above firm, visited the following selected grounds:—Newcastle United, Manchester United, Liverpool, and Everton, for the purpose of gathering ideas, and how available space could best be utilised.

Two recommendations were made to the meeting. First of all, that in the meantime the club do not acquire any additional ground to the east and south, as extension of the embankment to the east was not absolutely necessary. Attention was to be concentrated on the new stand, press box, and pavilion, the plans for which were on view at the meeting, which was held in the Scottish Football Association Rooms, 30th October, 1913. As will be seen from the plans, on the ground floor of the pavilion there were shown a large reading room, gymnasium, board room, secretary and treasurer's room, team dressing rooms, and ample washing and bath accommodation, with hot and cold water, and two swimming ponds for both opposing teams. Full provision was made for home and visiting directors, and a room suitable for a tea-room, which might be used by members and others occupying the pavilion stand. The press box was to have accommodation for a hundred reporters, with the necessary telephone facilities. Throughout the pavilion, stand, and press box there were ample lavatory facilities. Additional stand capacity would be provided in the new part for 1,000 persons, against 452 on the old reserved portion, and the centre addition would be similar to those in the east and west stands, and when the ends of these stands were joined up to the new stand there would be accommodation for 5,530 spectators, as against 4,608, showing an increase of nearly 900 seats. The old pavilion plan of 1903 did not provide a covering for the members, while the covering was ample as now proposed. The outer and internal walls were to be made of brick, with wooden upper structure for lightness, strengthened by steel laths, the roof being principally of corrugated iron, with a little ornamental tiling. The building to be fitted with electric lighting. The complete scheme, as recommended, would cost 4,700. The scheme and plans as put forward by the committee were adopted, and the work was to proceed forthwith.

The erection and completion of the new pavilion were most expeditiously done, and finished in first-class style. It was a very proud moment in the history of the club when the committee opened the new pavilion, 26th October, 1903, by inviting a few friends, and members of the press, to a private view of these palatial premises, replete with every possible facility " for the recreation and amusement of the members," and generally suited for the purposes for which it was intended—namely, the playing and enjoyment of the game of football under the best possible conditions. It was an achievement to be proud of, and the encomiums passed on the splendid work of the committee must have been a sufficient reward for many years of careful thought and effort, now crowned with triumphant success.

The temporary pavilion at Hampden Park was totally destroyed by fire in the early morning of 9th August, 1905, and its contents consumed. The pavilion had been insured for 250. It was thought this amount would cover the cost of re-erection, but on obtaining estimates, with certain necessary improvements included, it was found that a sum of 350 would be required, which it was agreed to expend, and the work was entrusted to Messrs. P. & R. Fleming, with a time limit. The re-erected pavilion was ready for the opening of the season 1905-06, and proved suitable in every respect. It was built on the site of the one destroyed, and still remains, being found useful for the general purposes of the club and its junior teams.

Return to Book Index Page


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus