Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

History of the Queen's Park Football Club 1867 - 1917
Chapter XLVI.—Queen's Park Junior Elevens

The first mention of a Second Eleven occurs in the minutes of the annual general meeting, 5th April, 1872, when Mr. Gardner (captain), in the absence of Mr. D. Wotherspoon, the secretary, gave a report of the club's history for the past year. As captain, he mentioned that only three outside matches had been played—against Granville, won by one goal and two touches to nil; Wanderers, in London; and the third against Southern Football Club, "the first match the Second Eleven had played, and resulted in our favour by two goals to nothing. The match was looked forward to somewhat anxiously, but the honour of the club was well maintained." No date is given, but the game must have been played towards the end of 1871. At this same meeting, Mr. Rae moved "That this club elect a Second Eleven captain, who, in conjunction with the captain of the First Eleven, shall have full power to arrange Second Eleven matches," and on the motion of the same gentleman, Mr. William M'Kinnon was appointed first captain of the Second Eleven. He soon rose to fame, and ultimately became the leading centre forward of his day and generation. The second match played by the junior team was against East Kilbride, 13th April, 1872, which was also won by 1-0, and a return with the same club that season ended in a draw, 0-0. At the annual general meeting on 1st April, 1873, the Second Eleven captain was made a member of committee, and a vice-captain appointed for the first time, who also was to sit on committee. Thomas Lawrie was then appointed to the former office, and James J. Thomson to the latter, making six officebearers and seven directors—thirteen in all. The captain, in his report to the annual general meeting, 6th April, 1874, was no longer in a position to slate that the club had not lost a goal, as the Second Eleven, out of ten matches played, had lost one of them, scoring, however, fifty-five goals to one. At this meeting Charles Campbell became a member of committee by being elected vice-captain, and J. B. Weir a director. Fairly launched on its career, the Second Eleven proved a valuable acquisition to the club, and the services of the best players in this team were frequently called upon to fill vacancies in the First Eleven, ultimately to be given permanent positions with the seniors. On 7th July, 1885, on the recommendation of Mr. Davis, it was agreed that the Second Eleven be known in future as the Queen's Park Strollers.

The club was so delighted at the Strollers winning the Glasgow Second Eleven Cup—the first trophy the Strollers had ever won—in season 1892-93 that it was decided to present badges to all the players who had taken part in the preliminary rounds, as well as in the final, and Mr. Sam Wylie, who was for a long period guide, philosopher, and friend to the team, was the recipient of a similar badge, and was given the custody of the cup until the following season— a compliment he highly appreciated. That season the senior team had captured the Scottish Cup for the tenth time, and in honour of the occasion Mr. M'Tavish, the indefatigable match secretary of the First Eleven, was the recipient of a Scottish Cup badge.

The first indication of a Third Eleven occurs in the minutes of a committee meeting of the club, 31st August, 1875, when the match committee was recommended to get up a Third Eleven, if practicable. It does not appear to have been practicable, as nothing was done until 25th July, 1878, when Mr. W. C. Mitchell suggested that a Third Eleven, to be called the "Hampden Eleven," be constituted, with the view of keeping together those who were unsuccessful in gaining places in the Second Eleven. The committee highly approved of the suggestion, and the matter was left with Mr. Mitchell to make the necessary arrangements. Strange to relate, that meeting adjourned without awarding the usual vote of thanks to the chairman, Mr. J. Taylor.

The Queen's Park Juniors, who played in the late 'seventies on the same pitch on the Recreation Ground that the Queen's Park had just vacated, while having no direct affiliation with the club at any time, yet gave of their best from time to time to maintain the playing strength of the club. On the application of Mr. Rae, president of the Queen's Park Juniors, 4th May, 1875, they were given free entrance to Hampden Park on match days, Mr. Rae promising "to impose such conditions as would ensure the concession being properly carried out." Members of other clubs, such as Crosshill and Kerland, glided into the ranks of the Queen's Park, obtaining places in either the First or Second Elevens, and were amongst those who had to be considered when the Hampden Eleven was established. Most of these clubs had their quarters on the cricket pitch of the South Side Recreation Ground, and many great players learned the rudiments of the game in this prolific school of football.

The first record of the Victoria Football Club is found in a minute dated 22nd December, 1884. "The members of the club having recently been allowed the use of Hampden Park for training purposes, it was agreed, after due consideration, to grant free passes of admission to Hampden Park south stand, during the remainder of the season, to its members. It was considered that this would be the means of drawing them to our club, and ultimately strengthen the playing element." The Victoria Football Club were given the use of Myrtle Park, 2nd August, 1887, which had just been acquired as a practice field, after second Hampden was opened, with certain privileges, and access on match days. On these conditions it remained for three seasons, and was then affiliated to the club, 7th October, 1889, as a Fourth Eleven, ',' in view of the large number of promising players who had offered their services to the club." Both the Hampden Eleven and the Victoria Eleven had to be temporarily dropped after the war opened, because of the number of Queen's Park players who flocked to defend their country on another field of battle, where honour and glory have fallen to them, and many, alas ! have made the supreme sacrifice, and all have their names inscribed on the club Roll of Honour. The Victoria Eleven was revived December, 1918, and the Hampden Eleven a few months later.

The Royal Park was another feeder of the Queen's Park, though in a small way. It came on the scene in August, 1890, with an application for the use of Myrtle Park, which was granted, provided none of the Queen's Park teams required the field. The youngsters were given special tickets admitting them to Hampden Park ground and stands, on the occasions of matches played there. This club was never affiliated. They took the place of the Victoria Eleven, which had recently been incorporated with the Queen's Park. The privileges granted to the Royal Park were extended from year to year by the club until August, 1895, when for sufficient reasons their occupancy of Myrtle Park ceased, and its use was granted to the Kelburn Football Club, another Junior club playing in the vicinity. The latter occupied Myrtle Park until second Hampden was vacated and new Hampden established.

In August, 1908, the match committee thoroughly considered the question of fixtures for the three Junior teams of the club, and reported, the committee recommended that the Hampden Eleven, which had been a member of the Scottish Junior Association, accept the invitation of the newly-formed Scottish Junior League to join that body, and play first-class Junior football. That connection only lasted one year, as the committee thought it injudicious to rejoin. Owing to the number of matches to be played by the Strollers, and scarcity of Saturday dates therefor, the Strollers could not well overtake their engagements. The match committee suggested the disbandment of the Victoria Eleven, as such, and that this section should now be raised over the Hampden Eleven, and play as Seniors, which was, in August, 1908, unanimously agreed to. The Strollers now played in the Scottish Combination, and the Scottish Second Eleven Association; but in June, 1909, the committee decided the Strollers should take part in the competitions of the Glasgow Reserve Eleven Football Association, the Scottish Second Eleven Football Association, and the Scottish Reserve League; the Victoria Eleven play in the Scottish Combination; and the Hampden Eleven in the Scottish Amateur Football League. The affairs of the Scottish Combination were wound up at the end of season 1910-11, and the Queen's Park decided to throw in the lot of the Victoria Eleven with the newly-formed Scottish Football Union, and they were duly admitted members.

Owing to the want of another football pitch, the Junior elevens of the club experienced great difficulty in arranging and fulfilling their fixtures after new Hampden was completed. The ground committee went fully into the matter of procuring temporary ground for the purposes of the club. A suitable one was secured immediately to the south of the east stand. Seven acres had to be acquired, though only two acres would have sufficed, at a moderate rent from year to year, as no lease was obtainable. The ground was at once put into order, and was ready for play before the beginning of October, 1908. This ground has since been found very useful lor practice, and for playing the fixtures of the Junior teams. The extra acreage has been let for sheep-grazing.

Return to Book Index Page


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus