Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

History of the Queen's Park Football Club 1867 - 1917
Chapter LXII.—Miscellaneous


In the matter of propaganda the Queen's Park never lost an opportunity of spreading the light amongst the benighted, especially those who were dark to the fact that rules existed for the proper conduct of the game. In order to make known these rules, which were those of the Football Association, not its own original rules—it had joined that association only a short time before, and adopted the "Laws of the Game," known generally as the "London Association Rules " —the Queen's Park decided in May, 1872, to print, for the use of its members, the rules of the club and the laws of the game on one card, and on another, the laws of the game and the rules of the Football Association, for circulation among the Scottish football clubs. This act had no doubt a beneficial effect, as quite a number of clubs sprang into being in 1872, and more in 1873. The position of the Queen's Park being somewhat isolated when it joined the English Association first, it was decided in November, 1871, " to open correspondence with other Scotch Association clubs with the view of persuading them to enlist for the English Cup, and, if successful in so fixing them, the Queen's Park would in all probability be first pitted against them in the earlier ties, which would thereby save the journeys to meet English clubs."


It was a sensible act on the part of the committee to delay, in July, 1872, the admission of a lad named Finlay Stewart, whose frame, on account of his youth, was not yet knit together. He was to be admitted only upon the condition that his father's consent be obtained. The lad, later, had been advised by.his father to delay asking admission to the club for a year or two. He would no doubt be all the better for his abstention from such hard exercise, though he may have felt disappointed at being prevented from joining in the fray. Only, however, for a year, as in June, 1873, his name finds a place on the club roll. He was evidently determined to be a footballer, and learn the rudiments of the game in a high-class school. His stay, however, in the club was short, as he resigned membership, 25th March, 1875.


The decision to hold committee meetings on the first Tuesday of every month, and thus systematise such meetings, which were previously held as required, was arrived at on 14th May, 1874, for the purpose of transacting general business, and receiving applications for membership. Names had to be posted in the clubhouse not later than the Thursday preceding the meeting, with the names of their proposers and seconders. This was found to be more convenient, and has been continued to the present day.

In 1873 it was decided to hold a half-yearly general meeting in the autumn as well as the annual general meeting in April. Later, the date of the annual general meeting was changed to May, so that the officials could give full reports for the season.


Evidently T. C. Highet and Thomas Lawrie were not very punctual attenders at committee meetings, as the secretary, in concluding the minute of the committee meeting of 25th October, 1875, remarks sarcastically: "Mr. Highet appeared in time to move a vote of thanks to the chairman, which Mr. Lawrie arrived in time to second. The meeting was then closed in the usual way."


Re the Scottish Cup final tie, played at Hampden Park, 10th April, 1875, in which Renton and Queen's Park were opponents, the Q.P. being the victors by 3-0, the following rather strong criticism appeared in the "Glasgow Herald in comments on the match:—"The first named are as a rule excellent 'trippers' and hackers—Weir, who is not used to this uncouth style, was partially disabled early in the match —their style being more appropriate in Rugby than in Asso ciation play. This reprehensible conduct gave rise to strong expressions of disapprobation amongst the spectators, who repeatedly called for the expulsion of the offenders." These were the days of forcible football, when charging was legitimate.


Mr. C. W. Alcock, owing to the business of the Football Association monopolising his time, resigned in January, 1876, the secretaryship and captaincy of the Wanderers club. He informed the Queen's Park accordingly, and the club expressed to him "its regret at his severance from his old and honourable posts." Mr. Kendrick, a player, was appointed secretary of the Wanderers. Immediately after this, 5th February, 1876, the Queen's Park met with its first defeat since its birth, 9th July, 1867, nearly nine years before, from the Wanderers, in London.


Inopportune testimonials did not appeal to the Queen's Park. In 1873 it was proposed by some London friends of Mr. C. W. Alcock to recognise his services to the game by a testimonial, and on application being made to the Queen's Park for a subscription the club declined to use its funds in this way. The same in 1877, when a testimonial to Mr. W. Dick, secretary of the Scottish Football Association, was set on foot, the Queen's Park did not contribute ; but after that gentleman's death, when a memorial was being raised in recognition of his work for the game, the club freely gave a donation of 10 to this worthy object, which took the shape of a headstone over his grave in the Necropolis.


In the beginning of the season 1873-74, 26th November of the former year, Mr. William Ker, who had joined the club in April, 1870, resigned to go to Canada. He was an International player, captain of the team, and a prominent officebearer. The loss of the services of this gifted player was fell by the club. " No doubt the gift he bore away with him will often recall happy thoughts of home and of the Queen's Park Football Club." So the minute runs. J. Taylor was elected to the vacant captaincy. In the team of the first International match against England, at Partick, in 1872, W. Ker is given as a member of the Granville. He was also a member of the Queen's Park at that date, having joined, as already stated, in April, 1870.

Q.P. AND THE ENGLISH UNIVERSITIES In a minute dated 3rd December, 1878, we learn that the Rev. W. W. Beveridge, then a student at Glasgow University, and secretary of the University Football Club, desired the use of Hampden Park for the Inter-University matches between Glasgow and Cambridge and Oxford Universities respectively, and, after consideration, it was agreed to give the ground for the match on 23rd December with Oxford only. W. W. Beveridge, an Ayr Academy product, became, about this period, a great sprinter, and has been clocked to do even time—10 seconds—for the 100 yards. He is now the much-respected minister of a Port-Glasgow congregation, and has done good service during the war as an army chaplain. In this minute, Messrs. Campbell and R. Browne (match secretary) reported, they had gone through to Edinburgh to visit Mr. Smith—the Dr. Smith of the Queen's Park, then captain of Edinburgh University Football Club—to arrange, so that if Cambridge disappointed Queen's Park, then Oxford might be played instead. Mr. Smith was complacent and obliging, and was willing to play his match on the Friday, or the Monday, thus leaving the Saturday open, if Queen's Park required it. At this date, an effort was being made to introduce annual meetings between the English and Scottish universities on the lines of the Oxford and Cambridge contests, but the proposal came to nothing. Queen's Park did not then play either university, though as far back as July, 1875, the match secretary had been in communication with Oxford and Cambridge, with a view to arranging with either home-and-home matches. Cambridge visited Hampden Park, 9th December, 1876, and Oxford not until 17th March, 1883.


In July, 1879, Mr. Robert Smith, one of the founders of the club, who played in the first International in 1872, and also before that in two of the Internationals engineered by Mr. C. W. Alcock, as a representative from the Queen's Park, entered the estate of holy matrimony. He was presented by the club on the occasion with the following address :—

Address presented to Robert Smith, Esq., from the Queen's Park Football Club, on the occasion of his marriage, 22nd July, 1879.

We, the members of the Queen's Park Football Club, recognising you as its founder, deem this, the occasion of your marriage, fitting opportunity to express our most grateful appreciation of the inestimable services you have rendered to the club, which we feel contributed in no small degree to its subsequent success. We offer our hearty congratulations upon the present auspicious occasion, and trust you may long be spared to enjoy every happiness and prosperity.

Signed in the name of the club,
(Signed) CHARLES CAMPBELL, President. T. FRED. SMITH, Hon. Secretary.


When the Queen's Park became possessed of a field of its own in 1873—Hampden Park—it was a proud day for the club in many ways. The club may be said to have begun its real football career then, as any matches played on the Recreation Ground before this period were casually arranged fixtures. Hampden Park quickly became the only centre of football, and was in frequent demand for important games, but no Internationals until 1878. The team which opened Hampden Park, 25th October, 1873, consisted of : R. W. Neill, goal; W. Ker and J. Taylor, backs; J. J. Thomson and C. Campbell, half-backs; J. B. Weir, R. Leckie, M'Kinnon, A. M'Kinnon, T. Lawrie, and H. M'Neil, forwards. It was in this match Campbell made his debut as a half-back in the team. His brother, E. Campbell, was an older member and player than Charles, but did not reach the same high eminence. In the final tie for the cup that year, the following represented the Queen's Park: R. W. Neill; J. Taylor and J. J. Thomson; C. Campbell and Dickson; J. B. Weir, R. Leckie, A. M'Kinnon, W. M'Kinnon, T. Lawrie, and H. M'Neil. W. Ker, who played in the early ties, left for Canada, resigning November, 1873. After the Queen's Park had acquired Hampden Park in 1873, they had the only ground really suitable, on which to play representative matches, and con- sequently assumed an air of independence to even such a body as the Scottish Association, who sent a deputation to he club to negotiate terms for the Glasgow v. Sheffield natch as late as 1877. The minute states: "There was a good deal of haggling over the offer of the ground free of charge, the club to retain the stand drawings. The deputation were admitted, and politely informed of the terms fixed upon. The gentlemen in waiting held very circumscribed views, and made the handsome offer of 15 sterling for ground and stand. Such liberality could not be taken advantage of by the committee, and the deputation withdrew, vainly expostulating, and promising to return later." They reappeared, and "after a little skirmishing advanced their offer to 20. After a considerable amount of further haggling, the committee agreed to reconsider the matter, and the gentlemen again retired." The committee decided on 30 or the original terms, and these terms being unacceptable the deputation went out for the third time, but " only for a few moments, three of their number reappearing to say they would come up to 25," which was declined, and this fourth visit was their last. Further negotiations were left in the secretary's hands should the association toe the mark again. On reconsideration, the 30 basis was eventually agreed upon. These are changed days now. There came a time, February, 1878, when the Queen's Park committee, learning that the offer of other clubs for the International against England was lower than theirs, decided to give ground and stands free to the association rather than lose the match, and that game was played for the first time-on Hampden Park in that year. The two home Internationals of 1874 and 1876 had been played at Hamilton Crescent, the scene also of the opening game of the series in 1872.


A graceful custom of the Queen's Park was the transference of the names of gentlemen who had rendered the club valuable services during their active career, and who now took no further part in the club's affairs, to what was termed "The Life Roll"—that is to say, they continued members of the club, though taking no part in the management. This custom was inaugurated in August, 1879, and no eminent legislator, or player, was allowed to depart, only after he had been thoroughly sounded to see if his practical adhesion to the club could not be retained. In 1882, however, two old, almost original, members of the club, Mr. Archibald Rae and Mr. G. O. Norval, both of whom had been prominent office-bearers, expressed a wish to rejoin, and be placed again on the club roll. In consequence the title "Life Roll" was altered to "Honorary Members' Roll," as the absurdity of the former title, when names on the roll could be delete and possibly entered again, was self-evident. The names o the first members placed on the "Life Roll" in 1879 areR. Leckie, R. Smith, A. Spiers, W. Ker, A. Rhind, J. J. Thomson, and James Philips.


In July, 1875, a letter was read from the Rangers F.G., requesting "the favour of playing the opening match at Hampden Park for the new season." Evidently the "Light Blues" looked up to the Queen's Park in those days, as they were only three years in being. Indeed the senior club thought it was doing the Rangers a favour in deciding to give them only a single match that season, while Vale of Leven, 3rd Lanark, Kilmarnock, and others were honoured with home-and-home fixtures. The opening match was with Kilmarnock, not with Rangers, on 2nd October; won by 7-0. Rangers were played on 20th November, for the benefit of the Bridgeton Fire Relief Fund, and the gross proceeds, 28 3s., were handed over.


When the membership in 1880 exceeded 300, no fewer than ninety-seven new members having been added that season, the annual general meeting introduced a new by-law, " That in consequence of the large membership the club roll be limited to 350, the committee, however, having power to admit any additional applicants who are considered likely to strengthen the playing element of the club." This was not, however, strictly adhered to, as the rule in time was modified, so that it would not debar gentlemen of influence in the athletic world from joining, whose services might be found useful. Still the playing element was always pre-dominant, and no good player who sought admission was turned away. The season ticket holders were restricted then to 500 at a charge of 7s. 6d. each. Indeed, another 100 tickets were supplied for those old holders who had not secured their seasons in time.


A strange claim was made on the club by Dundee F.C., Morton F.C., and Third Lanark F.C. for compensation, in respect of the Glasgow Cup replayed final tie between Rangers and Celtic having been played on Hampden Park on 19th October, 1907, in consequence of which the venue of the Scottish League match between Queen's Park and Dundee had to be altered from Hampden Park to Dundee, and opposition given to the Scottish League game between 3rd Lanark and Morton, at Cathkin Park, on 26th October. Mr. Geake explained that these claims had come before the committee of the Scottish League, when it was agreed to remit the matter to the clubs concerned, with a recommendation that they should endeavour to arrive at a settlement. It was arranged that the amount of compensation to be paid to the clubs claiming should be fixed by the committee of the Scottish League. It is difficult to see how the Queen's Park was to blame for the change of venue, though it must be admitted the club benefited pecuniarily by the stand drawings at the final tie. The other three wanted a share of the spoil. Why the Queen's Park, more than Celtic and Rangers, who shared equally the gate profits of the tie? The League fixed the compensation to be paid Dundee at 20 9s. 6d., being the amount of the second team's wages, as Second Dundee were thrown idle through the change of venue. Celtic and Rangers generously took upon themselves to settle the claims of 3rd Lanark and Morton, and, in addition, offered to pay one-third each of the compensation awarded Dundee F.G. To this latter the Queen's Park would not listen, and insisted on taking full responsibility for Dundee's claim. These claims were out-Heroded by one put forward by 3rd Lanark to the Scottish League, asking 61 compensation on the ground that Hampden Park had so frequently been given up for representative matches, League fixtures became so congested that the Volunteers were under the necessity of playing Hibernian at Cathkin Park, while the Queen's Park had a counter-attraction at Hampden Park with Celtic, on 11th April, 1908. It was unanimously agreed to oppose this ridiculous claim—which was done so successfully that the claim was dismissed by the Scottish League committee.


When the International series between Scotland and England began in 1872, the referees were provided by the nation on whose ground the matches were played. Queen's Park members took a prominent position as referees in the earlier games. Mr. William Keay (Queen's Park) was referee at Partick in 1872 ; Mr. A. Hae (Queen's Park) in 1874, on the same ground; and Mr. W. C. Mitchell (Queen's Park) in 1876, also on Hamilton Crescent. Mr. William Dick, secretary, S.F.A., officiated at Hampden Park in 1878 ; Mr. Don. Hamilton, vice-president, S.F.A., in 1880; and Mr. John Wallace (Beith), also vice-president, in 1882. The president in those days was usually a patron, the controlling head being the vice-president. Some dissatisfaction arose in this last year, and then the neutral referee held sway, nor did he content both parties either. In 1892, Dr. Smith (Queen's Park) was the controlling official. He had experience as a player on both sides of the Border, as he frequently assisted the Corinthians. As a set off against this, Mr. J. C. Clegg (Sheffield) blew the whistle at Richmond in 1893. Mr. Humphrey Jones, a member of Queen's Park, but an Englishman, acted in 1896 at Celtic Park. Mr. Tom Robertson (Queen's Park), who has conducted more important matches than any man living, with perhaps the exception of Mr. Lewis, officiated at Celtic Park in 1898, and also at Newcastle in 1907 ; and Mr. J. B. Stark (Airdrie) took charge at London in 1909. Mr. J. Mason (Burslem) was referee in 1908, 1910, and 1912 at Hampden Park. In fact, no neutral referee has conducted this International match since 1906 except in 1911, when Mr. Nunnerley (Wales), was the referee. In 1913 an arrangement was come to, that a Scot should act when the game was played in England, and an Englishman when decided in Scotland. Mr. A. A. Jackson (Glasgow) conducted the game in 1913 at the Crystal Palace, and Mr. Bamlett (Gateshead) at Celtic Park in 1914. This courteous system continued when International football was resumed after the Peace, and Mr. T. Dougray officiated at Sheffield in 1920.


The first serious defection from the club, under the League system, was the unexpected resignation of R. S. M'Coll, one of the best forwards who had ever played for the Queen's Park. In a letter, dated 28th October, 1901, Mr. M'Coll sent in his resignation from the various committees of which he was a member in the club. This was followed by an application for his League transfer to Newcastle United F.C., for which club he played as a professional for three seasons. Mr. M'Coll formally resigned his membership of the club in letter dated 21st November, 1901, which resignation was duly accepted. This was a very serious blow to the club, and was the first of a series of similar losses, from which even at the present day, the club is not entirely free. M'Coll returned to Scotland at the end of season 1903-04, and in the following September (1904) became a registered professional with Rangers, for whom he played until the close of season 1906-07. In August, 1907, he was reinstated as an amateur by the Scottish Football Association, and was readmitted to his old love, Queen's Park, by the casting vote of the chairman, 7th October, 1907, making his appearance for his club against, the Rangers at Hampden Park, 2nd November, 1907, in a Scottish League game, which the Queen's Park won by 3-1. M'Coll gave splendid service in many stiff games until 1910, when he made his final appearance as a Scottish Cup player against Clyde. After two draws, in the third round, of 2-2 each, the Queen's Park lost to the Shawfield team by 2-1. M'Coll played at odd times afterwards, at the urgent request of the club, when a critical game had to be faced. R. S. M'Coll was a great player. On the field he played the game scientifically, being scrupulously fair, and his popularity was unbounded. Starting in business in the confectionery trade, he is now one of Glasgow's most successful merchants. R. S. M'Coll holds the record for scoring all six goals in a match, which he did in a Scottish League game against Port-Glasgow Athletic at Hampden Park, 27th April, 1910.


The Atholl Arms Hotel, then situated in Dundas Street, City, was a favourite howff with the members of the Queen's Park. There were other attractions there besides the hospitality extended by mine host. Mr. Alexander Gow, the proprietor, was an old Highlander, and, an athlete in his youth, took a great interest in athletics, and was a keen attender and judge at Highland gatherings, especially in the Atholl district. Many high festivals were held in this "hostelrie," as it is styled in the minutes, February, 1882, when a discussion arose over the question that the service given was not then adequate to the occasion. This grievance became accentuated, and in November, 1882, Mr. Richard Browne had a few words to say regarding the dinners, etc., in the Atholl Arms Hotel. He stated that some of Mr. Gow's-charges were enormous, a few of which he pointed out to the committee. After due consideration, the match secretary was instructed " to look after some other hotels to see if we could better ourselves in any way." The hotel was taken down shortly afterwards, the ground having been acquired by the North British Railway to build the underground railway, the tunnel of which runs under the site of the Atholl Arms.


William M'Kinnon, the famous Dumbarton forward, once appeared in the colours of the Queen's Park, but it was as a "Probable" in the trial game at Paisley for the International against England, played at Cathkin Park in March, 1884. The "Probable" side were uniformed in Queen's Park jerseys.


Up to the commencement of season 1910-11 Queen's Park players had to provide their own uniforms, which is certainly carrying amateurism to its utmost limits. But such is the case. Once or twice enterprising individuals brought before the committee this curious fact; but the club declined to supply uniforms for its players. In September, 1910, the chairman reported, the match committee had found it increasingly difficult to get players to provide their own uniforms, and, after considerable discussion, it was left to the match committee to procure uniforms, as they considered necessary. A step further was taken three years afterwards, and provision was made for washing, drying, and mangling these uniforms—a change which was found of decided advantage to the players.


A mistake, inadvertently made by the chairman, Mr. Alfred Dalziel, during the election of the committee at the annual general meeting, 29th June, 1905, put the club to no little inconvenience and expense. The chairman, after the election of president, two joint treasurers, and the secretaries of the Strollers, Hampden XI, and Victoria XI, and four members of the match committee, who by virtue of their offices had seats on the general committee, announced there were still ten vacancies, when nine only were to be filled— the committee consisting of nineteen members—and called tor nominations. The voting proceeded on the basis of ten vacancies, instead of nine, as provided in the articles of association. There was room for considerable difference of opinion as to the validity of the election of the ten gentlemen chosen by the meeting. It was therefore thought inadvisable for the committee, as elected, to conduct the business of the club. It was unanimously agreed to take the opinion of counsel on the point, and Mr. C. B. Miller, the secretary, was instructed to prepare a memorial. Mr. J. Campbell Lorimer, K.C., to whom the memorial was submitted, after reviewing the whole circumstances, gave it as his opinion, briefly, that the election of the nine members highest in the voting was valid, and the election of the tenth man inept. A special general meeting, or a new election, was not necessary, unless the tenth man raised a difficulty; then, an extraordinary general meeting would be desirable, for the purpose of declaring and minuting that only nine nominees having the highest number of votes were duly elected, and notifying the tenth man he is not one of the committee, and will not be cited to the meetings, or admitted thereto. The tenth man happened to be Mr. Stewart Lawrie, who, after some slight demur, acquiesced in the decision of counsel, and withdrew his name, thus solving the difficulty.


Some doubt existed in the Queen's Park committee whether it would affect the amateurism of a player were the club to give him a present on the occasion of his marriage, particularly as that player, Mr. T. T. Fitchie, had rendered inestimable services to the club, but was at this time under the jurisdiction of the English Association. Mr. John • Liddell, in order to settle the matter, put himself, on behalf of the club, into communication with Mr. Crump, who, after consulting Mr. J. C. Clegg, both members of the executive of the Football Association, replied, there would be no objection to making a present of some article to Mr. Fitchie, as a mark of esteem, and as a souvenir of his connection with the Queen's Park, and that it would not be necessary for the Scottish Association to ask for consent, seeing Mr. Fitchie had come under the jurisdiction of the English Association, but simply that the S.F.A. or the club could write, stating what was proposed, remarking that it was assumed there would be no objection, so far as the Football Association was concerned. It would not be in any way a breach of the amateur rules, or contrary to practice, to make such a present to a player when he is permanently leaving a club, or an association. When the presentation came to be made, both the S.F.A. and F.A. received intimation of the action proposed to be taken by the club. This case guided all similar cases afterwards. In the early days of football no restrictions existed, presents to players on similar occasions, or when leaving the club, in recognition of services rendered, were given, but the presents were always in kind, never in money, except to a retiring official in a responsible position, as an honorarium.


Mr. Tom Robertson, the well-known Queen's Park halfback, after he had retired from the game, devoted his spare time to acting as referee, where his thorough knowledge of the game and its laws, his integrity and high principle, have caused his services to be in constant demand both at home and abroad. His activities in this direction constitute a record. In addition to ordinary League and other games, he has refereed the following important matches :—

England v. Scotland, 2 occasions—at Celtic Park, 1898, and Newcastle, 1907; England v. Scotland (League), 3—1897, 1899, and. 1909; England v. Ireland, 9; England v. Wales, 9; Ireland v. Wales, 2; Ireland v. England (Amateur), 2; Scotland v. Ireland (League), 1—1898; England v. Ireland (League), 7; Southern League v. Irish League, 2; Glasgow v. Sheffield, 7; Anglo-Scots v. Home Scots, 10; Scottish Cup finals, 5; Irish Cup finals, 9; Scottish Junior Cup finals, 14; Army International—Ireland v. England, 1; Schools International—Scotland v. England, 1; Junior Internationals—Scotland v. Ireland, 6; Scotland v. Birmingham and District, 5; and Players' International—Scotland v. England, 2.

MR. H. A. WATT, M.P.

Mr. Harry A. Watt, late M.P. for the College Division of Glasgow, a famous sprinter, and hurdles champion of Scotland in his younger days, was a member of Queen"s Park for several seasons, though he never gained football honours of note. He was originally a member of Pollokshields Athletic, the team of "Gilded Youths," and, having been sent to represent that club on the committee of the Glasgow Football Association, he was compelled by the rules of that body to resign his connection with the Queen's Park, as he could not be a member of two clubs, members of that association. However, in June, 1889, Mr. Watt was readmitted to membership on his retiral from the Glasgow Association.


In November, 1886, an English newspaper stated, with no little truth, that the decline of the Queen's Park in this season dated from the time that Charles Campbell, the great halfback, withdrew from the team after sixteen years' active service. At November, the club had lost more matches than during the whole of the previous season, when it had to record only four reverses. Up to that month eleven games had been played, six won, and five lost. The presence of Campbell in the team had a wonderful effect on his companions, who knew nothing that experience could teach would be omitted to win a match. His head came in always useful too in play, and in conducting the game, and no man was a better judge of football. Campbell played occasionally, later, with Humphrey Jones, but did not take a prominent place in the team, turning out in the more important games, especially in cup ties, and against English clubs. He served the club long afterwards in the legislative chamber. In 1877 Charles Campbell played as a full back in a few matches on the retiral of J. Taylor. He played in that position against the Welsh Druids, at Hampden Park, on 6th October, 1877, with R. W. Neill as partner; against 3rd Lanark, on the following Saturday; against Clydesdale, on 20th October ; Edinburgh Association, on 27th October ; and Clydesdale, 3rd November. However, in the match with 3rd Lanark at Cathkin Park, on 10th November, 1877, he resumed his old position at half-back, J. Philips exchanging places with him. The Volunteers won by 1-0, and for the third time since the formation of the club, ten years before, the Queen's Park suffered defeat. The fourth defeat came from the Vale of Leven in the first meeting of the season, 28th September, 1878, at Hampden Park, the Vale winning by 1-0. Only four defeats in eleven seasons is remarkable.

Mr. Charles Campbell announced his intention to retire from the committee at the annual general meeting in May, 1890. Mr. D. C. Brown, the retiring president, was sure the members all regretted Mr. Campbell's decision, but when they reflected on the length of time Mr. Campbell was in active service on the field—he joined the club in July, 1870 and in committee, they would agree, that he had well earned that retirement which he now sought, and they were bound to respect his desire. He had much pleasure in moving that the meeting record its appreciation of the services Mr. Campbell had rendered to the club, whose interests he had so much at heart. Mr. A. Rowan, the new chairman, proposed, at a subsequent committee meeting, that Mr. Campbell's long and faithful services should be substantially recognised, on severing his connection with all the old landmarks of the club. It was decided to organise a handsome testimonial to Mr. Campbell—a decision which was enthusiastically supported.


Walter Arnott was unquestionably the greatest back who ever kicked a ball. He was a man of great strength, with a well-knit frame, and consequently, few opponents dared meet him in a charge. Ready in resource, a powerful kick—he has been known to score goals from midfield—and sure of himself, he was a tower of defence. To enumerate any one game in which he excelled himself would be a work of supererogation, as he always played well. One particular trick of his no other back could emulate, though many tried. When at full speed, in pursuit of a flying forward, he would turn round on the run and kick the ball straight back without any apparent effort—a trick which nonplussed his opponents, and was the marvel of the spectators. Though thick-set and sturdy, he could raise considerable speed on occasion. Arnott joined the Queen's Park, 9th May, 1882, having previously played for Pollokshields Athletic. Having finished season 1883-84 with Queen's Park, he returned to Pollokshields Athletic in beginning of season 1884-85, but reappeared in the Queen's Park team at the end of December, 1884, against Dumbarton, nor did he play in the English Cup ties of that season until the fourth round, against Old Wykehamists, and he saw the club through to the final against Blackburn Rovers, with W. MacLeod as partner (4th April, 1885). Charles Campbell was captain of the Queen's Park team in that memorable match. In 1885, in partnership, on different occasions, with A. Watson and R. Smellie, Arnott did great work for the Queen's Park, and was at this period at the height of his fame.

Rather a peculiar incident occurred at the Sheffield v. Glasgow match, played at Sheffield in February, 1882. Walter Arnott, then connected with Pollokshields Athletic, complained to the association that its vice, or acting president, Mr. John Wallace (Beith), had stated publicly in the smoking room of the hotel at Sheffield, where the team had their headquarters, that had Mr. A. Watson, of Queen's Park, been present to play at Sheffield, he (Wallace) would have drugged Arnott, thereby rendering him unable to play at Sheffield. Arnott was quite at a loss to understand why Mr. Wallace should attempt to act thus, as he was quite a stranger, and Arnott had never spoken to him until he met him in the train going to Sheffield. Arnott wished to have an explanation. Mr. John Wallace (3rd Lanark) was strong on the conduct of his namesake at Sheffield, he also being at Sheffield officially. Mr. Wallace (Beith) was severely censured by the association committee, and on again taking the chair, which he vacated while the matter was being discussed, stated he regretted very much using the words, and promised in future his conduct would do honour to himself, and the association. The honours which were bestowed on Walter Arnott, and many of his greater performances, are fully set forth throughout this history.

Charles Campbell

DR. JOHN SMITH Dr. John Smith, now an eminent physician in Kirkcaldy, who sometimes adopted the pseudonym of "J. C. Miller," played for the London Swifts in the English Cup ties in 1884-85. The doctor, in the final tie for the English Cup, assisted Queen's Park against Blackburn Rovers, the preceding season, at the Oval. Andrew Watson was in the Swifts, and this no doubt had some influence in inducing Dr. Smith to throw in his lot with that club, as the pair were great friends. The worthy medico, that season, also played for Corinthians, 17th January, 1885, as did Andrew Watson, when the amateurs defeated Preston North End at the Oval by 3-2, which put Preston in sackcloth and ashes, as all the money in the town was " on " what was considered a moral certainty. The Corinthians, in addition to the two Scottish International players, had Paravicini, Cobbold, Pawson, and Rose (the great goalkeeper), all English Internationals, in their team. The famous Major Marindin, who officiated as referee, disallowed three goals to Preston North End ! English clubs had opportunities of appreciating, the Major's peculiar methods, and , ought to have had greater sympathy with the Queen's Park over its misfortunes in the English Cup finals. Dr. Smith played frequently for the Corinthians, who, on their Christmas and Easter tours, were out for enjoyment—and business.


In connection with the Scottish Cup tie played between Queen's Park and Celtic at Hampden Park, 18th February, 1899, at which the charge for admission was 1s., and which was stopped by the referee, Mr. James M'Pherson, twenty-five minutes before time, on account of darkness, it was mutually agreed by the clubs to replay the match at Celtic Park the following Saturday, with a reduced charge of 6d., Queen's Park members, and season ticket holders, to be admitted free to the ground, the drawings from both matches to be pooled, after deducting expenses. Hampden Park, it was thought, would probably be incapable of accommodating the crowd. New Hampden was then building. The. main point in respect of this replayed game is, that the Queen's Park invited the great English custodian, Wilfred H. Waller, to keep goal for them. A special committee meeting was called on the forenoon of the match, at which attended fourteen members and the secretary, to consider Mr. Waller's application for admission to the club. Needless to say, he was unanimously added to the members' roll. The Celts, however, won by 2-1. They were leading when the first game was stopped by 4-2.


Very strong objection was entertained in the club against dividing the gate in friendly fixtures, as distinguished from cup ties. The three Dumbartonshire clubs—Vale of Leven, Dumbarton, and Renton—all made suggestions of the kind to the Queen's Park at different periods, but were each met with a refusal. The temptation was strong for the county clubs, whose finances never benefited to the same extent when they played at home, and Glasgow was a gold mine for the city clubs. However, after the Scottish League was formed, and the Queen's Park remained outside the membership of that body—League fixtures came first, and little room was left for the Queen's Park—the question of terms arose in September, 1892, for home-and-home matches with certain League clubs. It was agreed that the games be played on cup tie terms if one match only be played, and in the event of home-and-home fixtures each club retain its own gate. However, in July, 1893, Mr. M'Tavish, the match secretary, was instructed to ignore the League clubs, and fill up his dates with other clubs. Nevertheless the Queen's Park did play Celtic, Rangers, and other League clubs that season. The proposal of the Scottish Association that "some portion of the gate money taken at final ties for the challenge cup go into the coffers of the association " met with strong opposition from Queen's Park, and other leading clubs, at the annual general meeting of the association in 1882. The committee protested in spirited terms against the adoption of such a motion, partly from the point of view that the Association Cup lies were so numerous as to prevent any important club fixtures taking place, and that clubs were entitled to some recompense for their self-denial in playing the ties, and partly, that in point of fact the association was by no means in such abject poverty as to render an encroachment on the just and lawful perquisites of the clubs at all necessary. The secretary was instructed to call the representatives of the principal clubs together in the Atholl Arms Hotel, on 15th April, 1882, to discuss the matter, as it was one affecting the interests of the clubs playing for the cup, so that they might agree on a common course of action. Vale of Leven, Dumbarton, Queen's Park, 3rd Lanark, and Rangers met, and unanimously agreed to oppose the motion on the agenda of the annual meeting.


Football had become so important, and the public were so impatient to know the results on Saturday afternoons, that the " Glasgow Evening News," on 27th September, 1884, published, for the first time, a late edition containing the principal results of matches played that afternoon. A small sheet containing a few of the principal results was published in Paisley in that year, which circulated in Glasgow. Hitherto these results were not known until the Monday morning papers came out, though several licensed shops in Glasgow had private telegrams sent from the various football fields for exhibition in their premises. Afterwards agencies were formed who supplied these results. It was at the urgent solicitation of Mr. R. Robinson, then athletic editor of the "Glasgow News" and "Evening News," that the proprietors of the latter paper, after much persuasion, decided to meet a want which the public demanded. Only 400 copies of the "Evening News" were printed of that first issue. Weekly the circulation increased, and before the end of the season reached 5,000. This was the beginning of Saturday football editions. All over the country the idea spread, and now almost every important town in Scotland and England has its Saturday evening newspaper, giving extensive football reports. In regard to circulation at the present day, the "Glasgow Evening News," and the "Evening Times," on the occasion of important matches, such as Internationals, or final cup ties, touch to an issue of over 400,000 copies, to such an extent has the industry grown, and the vast improvement effected in the machinery for printing an issue in the shortest possible time. The first football issue of the "Evening News" was printed by hand on the bill machine, but in a week or two the steam-power machine had to be used, so great was the demand, even then, for football results. It should also be stated that the first report of a football match played in England, to be published on the evening of the same day on which the game was played, was that of the English Cup final between Queen's Park and Blackburn Rovers, at the Oval, 4th April, 1885. The match was reported by Mr. Robinson, wired from the telegraph office at the Oval to Glasgow, and a two-column report of the game appeared in the "Evening News" of that date—a piece of enterprise on the part of the proprietors of that paper which had its own reward. It was considered a great feat in those days, but is now a matter of everyday occurrence, even with less important matches played between Scottish and English clubs. Indeed, as a rule, reports of such games are now telephoned to Glasgow from the grounds on which they are played.


The Queen's Park decided in November, 1886, to insure the playing members of all three teams against accidents. The original intention was to insure only the First and Second Elevens, and leave the Hampden XI to look after itself, in the meantime. Mr. Sam Wylie, however, the match secretary of the junior team, stuck out for his men, and gained his point. This practice has been continued ever since, and includes the Victoria XI. It has proved very beneficial to the players, relieved the club from providing -for injured members, and removed the objectionable stigma from the players of receiving doles from the club in whose service they sustained injury.


No little commotion was created down Cathkin Park way in 1887, when rumour was abroad that John Auld, 3rd Lanark's International half-back, had in July, 1887, signed a form of application for membership of the Queen's Park, and had been duly admitted a member of the club. The rumour was duly contradicted by the Volunteers. It was, however, only too true, as Auld made his debut for the senior club in October against Cambuslang. He afterwards went as a professional to Sunderland F.G. He started there in business, and met with some success both as a player and a business man. The Queen's Park half-back line was rather weak, and the new season, 1887-88, about to open, and a man of Auld's stamp would be a welcome acquisition to the club. The previous season had been the worst in the history of the Queen's Park, up to that date.


Rumours were in circulation, and these had even been published in some of the newspapers, that members of the club had received money for playing, and Mr. Anderson, in order to clear up the matter, asked Mr. Stewart Lawrie, the president, formally if these statements were true. The chairman replied that there was no foundation whatever for the imputation, and that no member had ever been paid for playing. The Queen's Park, during its fifty years of existence, no matter in what straits it might have found itself at the time, has never allowed the slightest taint of professionalism to stain its record of amateurism, pure and unadulterated. Nor was it ever necessary, as the reputation of the club was such that players considered it a high honour to be members of the club, and the height of their ambition was to be included in the team. That was in the amateur days, before professionalism made football a trade.


The English Cup, while in possession of Aston Villa in 1895, was stolen from a shop window in Birmingham, and never recovered. A new cup was purchased, as close a replica of the lost trophy as could be obtained. This cup, however, was subsequently withdrawn by the Football Association, and presented to Lord Kinnaird, president of the association, in appreciation of his long services to the game. As no sentimental value was attached to the cup, it seems rather a peculiar presentation to his lordship. A third cup, which is. of registered design, was procured, the first winners of which were Bradford City in 1911. The first cup was the trophy for which Queen's Park competed.


Few people have any conception of the amount of charitable work done, all through, by the Queen's Park as a club. Its hand was never out of its pocket. Every football club, Senior or Junior, in monetary trouble, appealed to the senior club for help—even those to-day in a flourishing condition—either to play a match for their benefit or give a contribution. Athletic, harriers, and cycling clubs who had held sports at Hampden Park had their losses, on appeal to the club, greatly reduced, the Queen's Park giving now the whole, now a part, of the stand drawings, which were its share or rent for the use of the ground. All sorts and conditions of charitable bodies tried to lay the Queen's Park under contribution, not always with success, as many, if not most of them, were aided from the proceeds of the Glasgow Charity Cup competition. Langside Dorcas Society was a special favourite of Queen's Park. The club did good quietly and without ostentation. The families of deceased players, and servants who needed it, were lavishly provided for, and even employment found for the relatives. The departed had rendered service to the club, and that was a sufficient claim on its generosity. Players in ill-health who could not afford the expense of an operation were carefully nurtured, medical fees paid, and the patients brought back to health, Clubs, even former sharp opponents, who had met with evil days, and who wanted to be helped over the stile, were not turned away empty. Its monies were on trust, and the club was faithful to its trust. Cases of this kind are too numerous to mention, and all reflect the greatest credit on the club, its good management, its kind-heartedness, and its magnanimity.


A rather curious sequel attended the final tie for the Scottish Cup set down for decision at Ibrox Park, 25th February, 1893, the contesting clubs being Queen's Park and Celtic. The tie was declared off on account of the frozen state of the ground, and a friendly was played, which Celtic won by 1-0. A spectator sued the association for 3s., which he had paid at the gate, alleging "breach of contract," as the match had been advertised as a "Scottish final tie," and was not played as such. Other actions were pending. The association defended the case, and it is said the two clubs concurred in whatever was to be done. It was proposed to arbitrate over the matter, with Sheriff Murray as arbiter, without result. Sheriff Guthrie tried the case, and decided in favour of the association, without costs. Then came the question of the responsibility of the clubs for their share of the expenses, which they were unwilling to pay, but on second thoughts each of the three parties involved paid up, and the Queen's Park divided half of its share of the gate— 140—between the three infirmaries (40 each) and the Sick Children's Hospital (20).


A good story is told of J. B. Weir by a friend, Mr. Matthew Robertson, who was with him on holiday at Lamlash. Walking along the shore, Weir being nearer the water than his friend, a large rat ran from under a rock, and passed between them. The friend took a running kick at the rodent, and sent it flying high over J. B.'s head, fifty feet into the sea. Weir turned round with an aggrieved air, and said, "Ah, Matt! why didn't you dribble him?" Then he would have had a foot in the sport.


Mr. C. Wreford-Brown, a famous Corinthian in his day, as hon. secretary for the Sheriff of London Charity Shield, wrote to the Queen's Park, requesting the club to play for the trophy against Aston Villa, at the Crystal Palace, on 11th March, 1899. As the club had a fixture on that date, there was some difficulty; but, seeing the game was in the cause of charity, it was agreed to accept the invitation. The game took place on the date fixed, and even after an extra half-hour had been played, neither had scored, and the game was left drawn (0-0). The match had a strange sequel. Mr. Wreford-Brown wrote in May to the effect that, taking everything info account, and more particularly owing to the
unpleasantness which had arisen through the committee and players of Aston Villa P.C. not being invited to dinner after the match (the Villa being a professional team), the organising committee had decided to give the first custody of the shield to Aston Villa, no doubt as a sop to their wounded feelings. The Queen's Park and Aston Villa were to be considered joint-holders of the trophy, Aston Villa retaining it for six months, and Queen's Park for the remainder of the year. In October, 1899, it was exhibited for a short period in Messrs. Forsyth's window, Renfield Street, and afterwards found a location in the People's Palace for the remainder of the period the Queen's Park had it in possession.

The club was invited again to compete for the Sheriff of London Football Charity Shield, in a letter from Mr. H. W. Hewitt, hon. secretary to the London Charity Committee, dated 22nd November, 1907. The invitation was accepted, provided the actual out-of-pocket expenses incurred by the club were guaranteed. Evidently the London committee had a very exaggerated idea of the sums derived from football in Glasgow, as on 7th December Mr. Hewitt wrote, suggesting that the game might be played at Hampden Park, provided the Queen's Park guaranteed a definite sum to charity, say 1,000 sterling, at the same time inquiring what expenses would be required were the match played in London. Needless to say, the former offer was declined, and the sum named for expenses to and in London was to be 75. Evidently the terms did not suit, and the Queen's Park did not again play for the shield.


The Queen's Park Musical and Dramatic Society, while not directly associated with the club, nevertheless consisted for the most part, if not entirely, of members of the Queen's Park. In 1883, and for some years thereafter, the society gave several concerts, all of a high-class character, the members displaying considerable musical and dramatic talent. A favourite farce was "A Trip to Dublin," given with great gusto. Mr. J. J. Jordon acted as conductor, and his brother, Mr. L. S. Jordon, usually presided at the piano, as accompanist. Mr. C. Campbell took a lively interest in the society, and did much to ensure its success. The services of the society were in great demand, and concerts were given in several towns in Scotland, as well as Glasgow. Once, when the society visited Dundee, several members of the football team preferred to accompany the concert party, and absented themselves from the team, at which the committee were naturally indignant, but as the society was not under their jurisdiction nothing could be done.


Turnstiles to the number of four were introduced at Hampden Park in December, 1894, and found most convenient. Their number was increased from time to time as required. There had been no check in the early days. Then roll tickets were introduced. There are now- fifty turnstiles in operation at the different entrances to new | Hampden Park and in the stands.


In carrying out the first rule of the new constitution, passed 9th August, 1867, "that this club shall be called the Queen's Park Football Club, and its object shall be the recreation and amusement of its members," at a meeting of committee, 12th October, 1869, " a discussion was entered into in regard to the getting up of an amateur concert in connection with the club, and the following two gentlemen were appointed as a committee, Messrs. J. Smith and W. Klinger, to inquire into the probable expenses of the concert, and to make a report to the next committee meeting. An annual festival was also suggested, and brought into con- sideration, but it was deemed better to delay settlement of J anything definite until the feeling of the club would be consulted." These gentlemen (26th October, 1869) made "a favourable report regarding the expenses of the proposed concert, and, after a little deliberation, the 23rd November, 1869, was fixed as a suitable date, liable to alteration should anything come in the way to prevent it." Messrs. Gardner' and Wotherspoon were appointed a committee, with power to add to their number, to take the management of affairs and to push matters forward, and that everyone communicate all the information to these gentlemen. On 4th November, 1869, "favourable reports were heard as to the procuring of a few voices to assist at the concert, and one gentleman who has given his consent to sing, also, kindly promised to draw up the programme in proper form. The evening of Thursday, 2nd December, was named as being the probable date for the concert, liable to alteration to the Wednesday previous." Unfortunately the hall at Strath-bungo, in which " we intended to hold the concert, had changed hands, and would be pulled down," so the committee (11th November, 1869J considered it would hardly be advisable to proceed with the concert under the circumstances, as no other place could be had suitable for that purpose in the vicinity of the park ; but the whole matter was laid before a special general meeting that same evening, 11th November, when Mr. Gardner stated the object the committee had in view in proposing the said concert was for the benefit of the funds of the club, and to bring the year to an agreeable close by affording the members and their friends a night's amusement and enjoyment, and to enlist the interest of those in the neighbourhood of the park in the welfare of the club. As far as musical arrangements had gone, everything promised to be very successful, as a sufficient number of ladies and gentlemen had kindly consented to take part in the concert to fill up a very satisfactory and promising programme. Unfortunately the only place available, a mission hall at Strathbungo, was to be pulled down, and the concert could not be held on 2nd December, the date fixed. As the meeting came to no definite decision, the subject was allowed to drop. When the matter cropped up again (26th October, 1870), the committee considered the advisability of having a social meeting, which this time was to be a conversazione. Each member of committee was to exert himself in procuring promises from the members to take tickets, and to secure, in the first place, a sufficient number to make it financially successful. On 3rd November, 1870, a sufficient number of members could be depended on to purchase tickets to guarantee a tolerably good turnout, •and it was decided " to push on with the matter," and Messrs. H. N. Smith, R. Gardner, and D. N. Wotherspoon were to fix the night they found to suit best, provided it was within the first two weeks of December. Details of the arrangements made were given to the committee (29th November, 1870), to the effect that the Baronial Hall, South Portland Street, musicians, purveyors, etc., had been secured, and the night fixed for 9th December, 1870. At a meeting of committee, 24th March, 1871, "notice was taken of the conversazione, the plan originating and being carried out on the entire responsibility of the committee, of affording the members of the club an opportunity of social intercourse and enjoyment. The committee had reason to feel gratified that the programme was fully taken advantage of, and enjoyed by all present."

This was the first of a series of such entertainments " for the amusement of the members." As the club advanced in prosperity and wealth., its efforts in this direction became more extensive. Indeed, Queen's Park adventures of the kind were all functions in their way. The Q.P. sports, the Q.P. daances, the Q.P. dinners, the Q.P. smoking concerts, the Q.P. Musical and Dramatic Society (not directly connected with the club), were all more of public than private celebrity, and were all carried out in the best style, in true "Queen's Park form."


Amongst a number of old members of the Queen's Park F.C. who do not now take an active part in the club and its management, a desire was felt that some means should be found to bring together the ancients of the club, and so keep alive the many delightful friendships formed in the years gone by, and it was with this object in view that the Queen's Park P.O. Society was called into being in February, 1914. The objects of the society were, to promote the interests of the Queen's Park F.C, to form a bond of union among the old members, and to encourage the pursuit of amateur football and athletics in every form. Only members of the Queen's Park were eligible, and not of less than fifteen years' standing, not necessarily continuous. Mr. Stewart Lawrie was the first president of the society, Mr. D. D. Warren, vice-president, and Mr. A. J. Christie hon. secretary and treasurer, which last was the moving spirit in the affair. To inaugurate the society, a dinner was held in the Grand Hotel, 31st March, 1914, Mr. Stewart Lawrie in the chair, at which there were 100 present, and the whole function was voted a great success. Among the guests were the Lord Provost of Glasgow, Sir D. M. Stevenson ; Mr. R. S. Horne, K.C. (now Sir Robert S. Horne, M.P., President of the Board of Trade) ; Mr. M. P. Fraser, advocate; Mr. William Gillies, LL.D., Dean of Faculty of Procurators; Sir John Lindsay, Town Clerk; Mr. Tom Robertson, president, Queen's Park F.C.; the president of the S.A.A.A.; Mr. J. S. Samuel (now Sir John),, secretary to the Lord Provost; Dr. John Smith ; Mr. James Grant, one of the original members in 1867 of the club, and twice its president; and Mr. Robert Livingstone. In addition to the six members of committee, the Queen's Park F.C. annually nominate two members of the club to act on the committee of the society, thus giving it official recognition. Unfortunately the war broke out in the August following, and that sphere of usefulness which the society had mapped out had to be postponed, or very much curtailed; but its opportunity has now arrived for that social enjoyment which was the original intention of the members. Mr. D. D. Warren, the vice-president, generously presented to the society a handsome silver cup to be competed for annually in a golf competition, and also a gold badge to the winner of the cup each year. The first competition was held on 26th May, 1914, and twenty competed. The cup was won by Mr. H. J. Irons, after a tie with Mr. R. A. Lambie. The war hung up all further activities, but now that it has been brought to a victorious end the society has free scope to promote the excellent objects for which it was founded.


Naturally the Vale of Leven were jubilant when they gained the distinction of being the first Scottish club to defeat Queen's Park, which they did in the famous Scottish Cup tie, 30th December, 1876. Having a poet laureate of their own, in the person of Mr. Ferguson, he celebrated the Vale's triumph in verse, in the form of a parody of "The Charge of the Light Brigade," which was published in the " Dumbarton Herald" of 4th January, 1877. It is quite a clever production. Two other efforts of Mr. Ferguson appeared in the same paper, on dates 19th April, 1877, and 4th April, 1878—the one recording the victory over Rangers in the final tie of 1877, and. the other when the Vale again won the cup from Rangers, Queen's Park, and Third Lanark, the last in the final of 1878. Unfortunately want of space prevents their publication.


When the club was a year in existence, it was decided to issue a membership card to each member. A reproduction of the first page of this card will be found below. It contained the names of the office-bearers, the constitution and rules, the laws of the game as first played and amended by the committee, definition of terms and by-laws, all of which occupied four pages. This particular card belonged to Mr. James Macdonald, who was admitted to membership, 22nd June, 1868, and then resided with his brother Peter, also a member, now in South Africa, at 108 Eglinton Street. These gentlemen had been proposed and seconded on the field, and their names came before the committee on the above date, with eighteen others in a similar position, for confirmation.


The name of the Queen's Park Football Club has always been synonymous with all that is best and highest in the winter pastime, and its name is writ large in the annals of the game. Under the flag of amateurism it has been a pioneer, the highest honours have fallen to the club, and many famous players have sported its black and white colours. At a meeting held on 9th July, 1867, the club was instituted, and the interesting event of the jubilee was marked by a dinner, which was held in the Grosvenor Restaurant, 8th March, 1920, when the president, Councillor G. T. Samson, presided over a large company, that comprised many prominent personalities in the world of football, past and present. The menu card was an interesting compilation. It had a photograph of the team of 1873-74, a view of the modest pavilion of 1883, and, by way of contrast, the now magnificent ground of the club at Hampden. On the back of the card was a facsimile of the first minute of the club, when it was resolved to institute the club, and it was an interesting link with the days of fifty years ago that the first goalkeeper of the club, Mr. J. C. Grant, was seated at the chairman's table. Interesting communications conveying congratulations were read from Lord Kinnaird, Lord Weir, Lord Provost James W. Stewart, Sir John Stirling-Maxwell, Sir John Ure Primrose, from English and Irish officials, Mr. Tom Scott, the president of the Rugby Union, and Mr. Ritchie, the first president of the club. It was agreed to send a message of greeting to Mr. Arthur Geake, and to express regret at his. absence. The speeches throughout the evening were naturally reminiscent of the past glories of the


club, and these obtruded themselves in the formal toasts, which were proposed, and responded to by the Town Clerk, Sir John Lindsay, Colonel Wilson, Sir John Anthony, and Bailie Crerar. In a speech going back to 1867, Mr. A. S. M'Bride, the oldest surviving president of the Scottish Football Association, and an ex-president of the Vale of Leven Football Club, proposed the toast of the club. He recalled how a Queen's Park team in 1871 had gone down to the Vale of Leven to play a team there, where shinty was the principal pastime. The game resembled the battle of Sheriffmuir, in so far that "some said we won, and some they won," but the Queen's Park was the mother of the Vale of Leven club. The Queen's Park had a record unequalled in football annals, and its one outstanding feature had been that it had kept alive the amateur spirit, and had maintained the purity of the game. He urged the youngsters to play the game. The chairman, in reply, said that the sporting citizens of Glasgow, and the world, owed a debt of gratitude to the founders of the club, which he did not think they would ever be able to repay. The spirit of amateurism had always permeated the members of the club, and he trusted it would continue true to the tenets which were laid down and carried through with such iudomitable energy by their predecessors. That was without disparagement to those who were connected with other organisations, there having been evolutions in football, as in everything else. Mr. Samson's reference to the past history of the club was restrained, yet very much to the point. Referring to the war record of the club, he said that 214 members of the club joined the colours, and twenty-seven had fallen. Other toasts included "Football Associations, League, and Kindred Clubs," proposed by Mr. T. R. Park, and responded to by Mr. Thomas White. "The Press"' was proposed by Major Benzies, and replied to by Mr. R. Robinson and Mr. J. H. Catton ("Athletic News"). —"Glasgow Herald," 9th March, 1920.


The feature of the half-yearly meeting of Queen's Park Football Club, 28th October, 1920, was the consideration of a scheme for ground extension, submitted by the committee, who have decided to acquire more ground to the east of the present site for the purpose. Suffice it to say meantime that it is a gigantic affair, which will bring the holding capacity of the enclosure to 175,000, all of whom will be in a position to view the match in comfort, and, for the most part, under cover. To complete the business will take years, but when the end has been reached Hampden Park will assuredly be the last word in football enclosures.

The treasurer's report was received with enthusiasm, as well it might be, for the liquid assets of the club amount to some 9,000. There are 541 members, and it has been decided to allow no more non-playing members at present.

The president (Mr. George T. Samson) made feeling reference to the deaths of Messrs. Arthur Geake and John Harvie, both of whom had done splendid work in the interests of the club and for the cause of amateurism in Scotland. Mr. Harvie was amateur walking champion of Scotland in the late 'seventies.

Return to Book Index Page


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus