Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed.
Glenora Single Malt Whisky

Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.
Scottish Review

Click here to get a Printer Friendly Page

The History of the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire Hunt 1775-1910
Introductory Chapter
The Country, the Masters, Supporters and Huntsmen, the Hounds, the Kennels


The shires of Linlithgow and Stirling are quaintly described by Sir Robert Sibbald, who was born and lived at the Castle of Kipps, near Linlithgow, in a history ['History of the Sheriffdorns of Linlithgow and Stirling,' by Sir Robert Sibbald, M.D. 1710.] written early in the eighteenth century, dedicated to the Right Honourable Charles Hope Earl of Hopetoun, Sheriff Principal of Linlithgow-shire, and to the Right Honourable the Earl of Linlithgow and Calander, Heretable Sheriff of Stirlingshire. The Sheriffdom of Linlithgow, as it is now," Sir Robert states, "hath to the North the Firth of Forth. Towards the South-east and South-west the Waters of Almond and Breich separate it from Edinburgh Shire, and towards the North-west it is parted from Stirling Shire by the water of Even. Towards the West it bath part of Clydsdale. The length of the Shire from the mouth of Almond at Nether Cramond to Bedlormie is fourteen miles, and the breadth of it, where it is broadest, from Borrowstoness upon the Firth of Forth, to Almond Fala, will be some Nine miles. The figure of it is unequal, and such is the Quality of the Soil. The West part is mountainous and hilly, and the North-side and the East is plain and level; and the middle part sloaps much from the hights, both to the North - west and South-east. The South-west part is well watered with the Bourns which glide through it, and so is the North side and middle part." Stirlingshire, Sir Robert further states, "bath now for Bounds towards the West, Dumbartonshire, and for Marches there, Loch Lomund, and the Waters of Blanc and Ainrick and it has to the South, part of Dumbartonshire and Clydsdale: and to the East it hath Linlithgowshire and towards the North, it is limited by the River and Firth of Forth. Where it is longest, that is at the Northwest point, where it joyneth with Dundaff-Moor in Lennox, to the Nunnerie of Emanuel upon Avon water, which is to the East, the March betwixt it and Linlithgow-shire, it will be twenty Miles in length. And where it is broadest, from the Town of Kilsyth to the Castle of Elphingston, it will be about twelve Miles in Breadth. The Nature and Quality of its Soil differeth much, the West and South-west parts of it are Mountainous and Rullie: and the North part of it from the Town of Stirling to the East March is Levell and plain: and the South-east part is much of it a rising ground. The whole is well watered with the Waters, and the Bourns which run through it; and besides several Woods and Copices, the Seats of the Nobility and the Gentry are well planted: the South side is a mixed Countrey, fitted for Pasture and Corns : the North side is most fitted for Grains and Fruit Trees."

Mr John Penney, a native of Bathgate, also gives an account of Linlithgowshire, written, most probably, towards the end of the eighteenth century, which, although like Sir Robert Sibbald's, bearing no reference to hunting, contains such a fair description of the boundaries and contour of that county as it exists at the present day, that it may not be out of place to quote one or two passages from it. Linlithgowshire, says Mr Penney "has the Firth of Forth on north, Edinburghshire on the east and south - east, Lanarkshire on south-west, and Stirlingshire on the west. On east, it is separated from Edinburghshire, first, by the Breich Water, from its source till it joins the Amon; and, after this junction, the Amon forms the more remarkable boundary throughout its course to the Forth, except at Mid-Calder, where Edinburghshire intrudes somewhat more than a mile into Linlithgowshire. On the west, this county is separated from Stirlingshire, first, by the Linn Burn, from its rise till its junction with the Avon, which now forms the separation between them, till it falls into the Forth. The length of the east side, from the foot of Almond, on the north-east, to the top of Breich water, on the south-west, is nearly twenty-one miles; the breadth is twelve miles. The superficial contents of the whole appear, from very minute calculations, to be 121 square miles or 77,440 statute acres. . . . None of the protuberances of this district rise into lofty eminences; neither is its surface by any means flat. It is diversified by a number of small hills, which do not rise to any inconvenient elevation. The most remarkable of them forms a range, which runs from Bowden, across the middle of the county, in an oblique direction from northwest to south-east. Cairn-naple, the most prominent centre of this range, rises to the height of 1498 feet above the level of the sea; and Cocklerne, on the western part of this range, rises to the height of 500 feet.' The Kipps Hills, Knock Hills, and Drumcross hills, all form conspicuous parts of this range. Riccarton-edge and Binnycraig, may also be deemed a part of this range, and rise to a considerable elevation. The second class of hills, which are more worthy of notice, is variously distributed, throughout the northern parts of the county, along the Forth. Of those the most conspicuous are, Mons Hill, Craigie Hill, and Dundas Hill, in Dalmenie parish; Craigton Hill and Binns Hill, in Abercorn parish-from whence the beauty and grandeur of the prospect are unrivalled, and Irongarth, in Linlithgow parish. The middle and western districts of the county are the most hilly; the east and north are the most plain. The southern divisions of this shire consist mostly of moor, moss, and morass, with few heights of any elevation.

In Linlithgowshire there are not many waters of great extent. The only lakes are, the loch at Linlithgow town, and Lochcoat, in Torphichen parish. . . . Of large rivers this county cannot boast; yet it is well watered by several streams for every domestic purpose, while the Amon on the east, and the Avon on the west, are the only considerable rivulets."

When the district was first crossed by hounds— and there is evidence to show that at least a part of it was hunted as early as the year 1762—its surface must have presented an aspect differing considerably from that which it now bears. It must then have been comparatively open in character, and therefore foxes and consequently hounds may possibly have run straighter than they do at the present time. It is stated' that about the year 1820 Linlithgowshire, as a hunting country, was decidedly in every respect to be preferred to the counties of Edinburgh and Haddington; that it held a remarkably good scent at all seasons of the year; that it consisted, for a provincial, of a very fair proportion of grass, and that it was a flat and very pleasant and straightforward one to ride over"; while Nimrod, who visited the country in 1834, mentions that it was then considered the best in Scotland. In those days, however, it was much less intersected than it is now, for although the Union or Forth and Clyde canal was completed in 1822, there were no railways and few mineral works—the lines from Edinburgh to Glasgow by Linlithgow and by Bathgate, and to Carstairs having been opened subsequently to the year 1840, and the production of shale-oil not having become an industry in West Lothian until about the year 1850. Nor had wire then begun to show itself as it has since, creeping snakelike over the land and rendering more than one district and many hundreds of acres of good old grass practically unfit for the chase.

Since the beginning, the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire Hounds have hunted no fewer than twelve counties, namely, Linlithgow or West Lothian and Stirling-which may be considered originally to have formed the country proper,—Berwick, Dumbarton, Dumfries, Edinburgh or Mid-Lothian, Fife, Forfar, Haddington or East Lothian, Lanark, Peebles, and Perth. In addition to the shires of Linlithgow and Stirling, part of Mid-Lothian was hunted in the year 1790, as were portions of the counties of Dumbarton and Lanark in 1807 and some subsequent years. From 1825 to 1828 the west of Fife country and a part of Dumfriesshire were visited from time to time, and in 1828 and the immediately following seasons the Duns country in Berwickshire was hunted alternately with the counties of Linlithgow and Stirling. When the Duns country was given up in 1833, part of Lanarkshire was lent by Lord Kelburne, and the district around Dunblane in Perthshire received some attention. Then Forfbrshire had its turn from 1838 to 1842, and in the year after that last-mentioned, East Lothian was taken over with the approval of the Duke of Buccleuch, and hunted in conjunction with the counties of Linlithgow and Stirling, part of Mid-Lothian, and certain parts of Lanarkshire and Peeblesshire known as the Carnwath country. In 1848, East Lothian was relinquished, and in its place the west of Fife district was again resorted to, Fife at that time possessing no foxhounds of its own. From 1855 to 1866 the Carnwath country seems to have been preferred to Stirlingshire, which then received only a small share of the fixtures, but which at the end of that period was resumed, and until 1869, was once more hunted fairly with Linlithgowshire and part of the county of Edinburgh. During the union with East Lothian (1869-1877) the three Lothians may be said to have constituted the country, for the district lying to the west of the Avon was but seldom visited; while from its termination down to the present time, the area hunted has practically consisted of the county of Linlithgow, with the south-eastern part of Stirlingshire and the north-western portion of Mid- Lothian as adjuncts.

Turning from the country to the men who conducted the hunting establishment and to those who gave it their support,—it would seem that Sir William Augustus Cunynghame of Livingstone and Milncraig was master about the year 1775, and that after his retirement, which probably took place some twenty years later, the management was in the hands of a committee. Subsequently, John, twelfth Lord Elphinstone, Mr George Ramsay of Barnton, and Mr William Murray, younger of Polmaise, had the control from the year 1806 to the year 1814, in which the Hunt fell into abeyance; while after 1814, and until 1824, the Lothian Hounds, under Mr Robert Baird of Newbyth, hunted the country periodically. In 1825, a renewal of the establishment was effected by Mr James Johnston of Straiton and Champfleurie, and Mr William Downe Gillon of Wallhouse, who acted as joint - masters for three years and three months. On their resignation Mr William Hay of Duns Castle and Drummeizier accepted the management, but two seasons later retired in favour of Mr William Ramsay Ramsay of Barnton, whose reign lasted from 1830 until his death in 1850. The conduct of affairs was then entrusted to Captain the Hon. James Sandilands, second son of the tenth Lord Torphichen, and Captain John Elphinstone-Fleeming, afterwards fourteenth Lord Elphinstone, the latter taking the chief charge until 1855, and the former subsequently acting alone for the space of ten seasons. In 1865, Mr Charles William Ramsay Ramsay of Barnton attained majority and assumed the control, but his mastership was a short one, for his death took place in the end of that year. Colonel Andrew Gillon of Wallhouse succeeded him and hunted the country for three seasons, or until 1869, when the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire and the Lothian' Hunts were amalgamated under the title of the Lothians Hunt. Mr Henry Walter Hope of Luffiiess was the first master of the conjoined establishments, his successor being found in 1871 in Mr James Hope, Easter Duddingston, who remained in office until the year 1877, when the union terminated. Then the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire Hunt was revived under Captain, afterwards Major, William John Wauchope of Niddrie, who, four seasons later, was succeeded by Mr James Russel of Dundas Castle. In 1884 the management passed to Mr John Graham Menzies, in 1887 to Captain George Clerk Cheape of Weilfield, in 1890 to Mr Adam Paterson Cross, and in 1895 to Mr, now Sir Robert, Usher and his brothers, Mr Fred Usher and Mr Francis James Usher, who, with Mr Fred Usher in charge of the establishment, remained in office until 1906. From 1906 to the close of the past season (1909) Sir Robert Usher and Mr Andrew Gillon have hunted the country - Mr Gillon undertaking the active part of the management— and although their resignation was received in the end of the year 1909, Sir Robert has since agreed to continue in office with Mr Arthur James Meldruin of Dechmont as joint-master.

From what has been stated it will be observed that in the earlier part of the Hunt's existence the masters were, with one exception, Mr Hay, landowners in the counties of Linlithgow or Stir- .ling and the adjoining district, or their relatives, and that it was only after the union with East Lothian that the control came to rest with others. It will also be noticed that two families, the Ramsays of Barnton and the Gillons of Wallhouse, have each contributed three masters in successive generations,--the former being represented by Mr George Ramsay, his son Mr W. R. Ramsay, and his grandson Mr C. W. R. Ramsay, all of whom died while in office; and the latter, by Mr W. D. Gillon, his son Colonel Andrew Gillon, and his grandson Mr Andrew Giflon; that two Lords Elphinstone, the twelfth lord and the fourteenth lord, then Captain Fleerning, gave their services to the Hunt in directing its management; and that Captain Sandilands and Sir Robert Usher have each occupied the position of master for the considerable space of fifteen years.

Regarding those, other than masters, who have supported the Hunt—since the beginning, most of the landowners in the country, whether they hunted or not, have given their aid or countenance to the sport in one way or another; the farmers, although but few of them have joined in the chase of late years, have cheerfully allowed their land to be ridden over ill worst periods of agricultural depression; and many more, neither owners nor occupiers of land, but followers of the pack, have afforded pecuniary assistance. To enumerate all the supporters whom the Hunt has, and has had, would form a difficult if not a well-nigh impossible task, but without invidious distinction, particular mention may be made of the Houstoun family and the Hopetoun family, for the former during several generations has given every assistance in its power, and the latter, notably, all through the Hunt's history, has contributed much support. Within recent years the Hunt has had no better friend than the late Marquis of Linlithgow, who, although keeping two private packs, the Hopetoun harriers and beagles, was always ready, as his son is now, to welcome the foxhounds upon his land. And although none of the main line of this family has ever accepted the control, there has probably never been a period at which a member of it would not have been gladly hailed as master, both by the subscribers and by the country.

Of a long list of Hunt servants, only seven huntsmen—Richard Forrester, Thomas Granger, Christopher Scott, Thomas Rintoul, James Stracey, John Atkinson, and Edward Cotesworth—have been in office for a period exceeding five years. Forrester was huntsman to the pack at an early date (1797), and acted as such until his death in or about the year 1805, when Robert Burton was appointed to fill his place; while Granger, who succeeded Burton, hunted the hounds from 1807 to 1814, the year in which the Hunt fell into abeyance. Oil renewal of the establishment in 1825, George Knight became huntsman, but three years later was superseded by Mr Hay, who during his mastership (1828 - 1830) hunted the hounds himself. Scott followed Mr Hay and held the huntsman's place from 1830 to 1839, when he retired in favour of Rintoul, who at that time had seen many seasons' service with the pack, and whose term of office as huntsman subsequently lasted until 1851, in which year the master, Captain Fleeming, undertook the huntsman's duties in the field. In 1853 W. Potts came as huntsman, in 1856 Robert Purslow, in 1857 Henry Nason, and in 1858 John Jones. Jones' relinquishment of the post in 1860 cleared the way for Stracey, his first whipper-in, who acted until 1866, when he was succeeded by Richard Horton, the last of the Unlithgow and Stirlingshire huntsmen prior to the union with East Lothian. On the revival of the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire Hunt in 1877, Atkinson, who had carried the horn during the union, was retained, and, with the exception of the season of 1881, in which his nephew Charles Atkinson was huntsman, and of the two following seasons, in which the master, Mr Russel, was nominally huntsman and frequently hunted the hounds, continued in office until 1887, when his hunting career closed. James Beavan came next, and remained for two seasons, at the end of which he went to Lord Eglinton, and Cotesworth was appointed in his stead. Cotes- worth was huntsman in 1889 and 1890, kennel- huntsman and first whipper-in in the four succeeding seasons, during which the master, Mr Cross, hunted the hounds, and again huntsman from 1895 to 1904; while Tom Hall, who got the horn on Cotesworth's retirement, carried it for two seasons or until 1906, when lie accompanied Mr Fred Usher to Berwickshire. Since then Sam Morgan, junior, a son of Lord Fitzwilliam's hunts- man, has had the charge at Golfhall, and has hunted the hounds for Sir Robert Usher and Mr Gillon, as lie will now for Sir Robert and Mr Meldrum.

Turning again from the men - masters, supporters, and huntsmen—to the hounds, there is nothing to indicate where the original pack came from, or what was its strength in the Hunt's earliest days. The picture of "The Death of the Fox," however, painted by Alexander Nasmyth about the year 1795, gives some idea of the stamp of hound in use at that time. III the hounds seem to have been small, perhaps not more than twenty inches in height, deficient in bone and substance, light in colour, and resembling the harrier rather than the foxhound, but showing quality and having great neck and shoulder. The pictures of different dates in which the hounds are depicted form in themselves a sort of history of the latter, and it is interesting to compare one picture with another since each, assuming always that the drawing is correct, serves to illustrate the type of hound existing at the time, and to demonstrate the progress which has gradually taken place in hound breeding.

In 1806, what was evidently the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire pack was advertised to be disposed of by public sale,' but it would seem that the hounds were not sold in this way, and eventually remained in the country. Three or four years later, fresh blood appears to have been obtained from the kennel of a Mr Harley Drummond, since the accounts for the year 1810 refer to a lawsuit at his instance for the recovery of the price of some hounds which the Hunt had purchased from him.

The picture containing the portrait of Granger, painted by Douglas in 1813, points to the fact that the hounds were then still wanting in bone, and harrier-like, although in character more nearly approaching the modern foxhound than those represented by Nasnmyth. Yet it matters little what improvement in breeding had been effected at this stage, for in the following year the hounds were sold, and were replaced, on the renewal of the hunting establishment in 1825, by an entirely distinct pack. This, coming as it did from the kennel of the Earl of Kintore, and consisting, as his list for 1824 indicates, partly of hounds which had fallen to him on the division of the united Fife and Forfarshire packs, and partly of drafts from various well-known kennels in England, was probably made up of hounds of a better class than those which had constituted the previous pack.

It seems possible that when Mr Johnston and Mr W. D. Gillon resigned their mastership in 1828, the fifth Earl of Hopetoun may have purchased the hounds and offered them as a gift to the gentlemen of the counties of Linlithgow and Stirling, but it cannot be stated authoritatively that this offer, if made, was accepted, nor is it by any means clear that either Mr Hay or Mr W. H. Ramsay, on assuming the control, took over the hounds as county property, and without purchasing them, as has been suggested.

In his short reign Mr Hay improved the pack in a wonderful manner and although there are no hound lists forthcoming to show it, he seems to have introduced a strain of blood which he had brought down from Warwickshire and had obtained from the old Pytchley.The one and a half couples of hounds represented in the picture containing his portrait, painted in 1830, if forming part of the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire pack, indicate a distinct improvement both in shape and in substance, and since the figures in this work are by Sir Francis Grant, it may be assumed that the drawing is good.

The large picture painted for Mr W. R. Ramsay by H. B. Chaloii in 1835, shows some fourteen and a half couples of hounds which, although perhaps rather wanting in bone, have at least the appearance of foxhounds, and will be compared favourably with those portrayed by Nasmyth and Douglas. During Mr Ramsay's mastership the pack, notwithstanding the fact that it was strengthened by drafts from Lord Kintore's, the Duke of Cleveland's, the Badsworth and other kennels, was generally of Beaufort and Lonsdale blood, and possibly Mr Ramsay never had a better hound than Bedford (1830) by the Duke of Beaufort's Brusher (1822) —Dairymaid, bred by Mr Nichol and entered in 1824 by Lord Kintore. But "Lonsdale blood was Mr Ramsay's delight, and he bought 17 couple of them at the Cottesmore sale in 1842, while two years later he acquired Lord Kintore's pack, which thus, a second time, found its way into the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire country.

Captain Sandilands did not care for a heavy-boned hound, and the picture of "The Meet at Barnton," painted by Stewart Watson, and finished about the year 1858, rather bears this out. At this period drafts were got from the Brocklesby, the Bramham Moor, the Berkeley, and other kennels; but then, as at other times both earlier and later, there were always hounds bred at home, and the sire most used was Sir Richard Sutton's Bajazet (1854) by Mr Lumley's Royster (1848) —Sir Richard's Barbara (1851).
On the death of Mr C. W. R. Ramsay in 1865, the pack, which a few years previously had been claimed as private property by Mrs W. R. Ramsay, was sold. The dog hounds were purchased by Colonel Gillon, the next master, and the bitches, which had been bought by Lord Eglinton, were taken to Ayrshire by Trueman Tuff, the first whipper-in. Throughout Colonel Gillon's mastership, the pack was afflicted to a considerable extent by kennel lameness, and each year fresh hounds had to be purchased in order to provide the requisite working number. These were obtained froin many sources, the chief being the Cheshire, the Old Burton, Lord Eglinton's, and the Milton kennels.

When the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire and the East Lothian Hunts were united in 1869, Ni H. W. Hope purchased Colonel Gillon's pack, and shortly afterwards acquired the Lothian one also; but, after a season, very few of the hounds which had belonged to either remained in the kennel. During the subsistence of the union it was necessary, in consequence of the increase of country, to maintain a stronger pack than previously, and both Mr H. W. Hope, and his successor, Mr James Hope, acquired drafts freely, the most important in point of numbers being got from the Berkeley, Lord Middleton's, the Atherstone, Mr Meynell-Ingrams, and the Badminton kennels, and the most useful perhaps from the Badminton. After the first year of Mr James hope's term of office, during which the hounds were lent by Mr H. W. Hope, the pack became the property of the Hunt committee, and continued to he so throughout the mastership of Major Wauchope, who obtained drafts from Badminton, from Berkeley, and from the Earl of Zetland, and in 1880 put on some fifteen couples of entered hounds purchased at Lord Coventry's and Mr Askew's sales at Rugby in that year.

On taking the control, Mr Russel purchased the pack from the Hunt committee and strengthened it with drafts from Lord Eglinton's, the Brocklesby, the Milton, and the Hertfordshire kennels, besides using the Marquis of Waterford's Rutland (1880) by Milton Rifleman (1874)—his lordship's Redwing (1877), a hound which he bought when the Curraghmore establishment was reduced in 1882.

When Mr Russel retired, Mr Menzies purchased the hounds from him, and in turn sold them to Captain Cheape, who was the last individual owner of the pack; for during the two succeeding masterships—those of Mr Cross and the Messrs Usher— the hounds belonged partly to the country and partly to the masters, whereas they are now entirely the property of the country. During his term of office, Mr Menzies obtained drafts from the Grafton and the New Forest; while subsequently Captain Cheape turned to Sir Bache Cunard's, the Blankney, the Milton, the Atherstone, Captain Johnstone's, and the North Cheshire kennels in order to get the number and stamp of hounds he required.

In the beginning of Mr Cross' mastership there set in a tendency towards home-breeding which grew during the period in which Mr Fred Usher had the management of the pack. Consequently, very few drafts were purchased by Mr Cross, and no hounds were put forward by Mr Usher which were not bred at Golfhall, although from time to time he had recourse to the sires of other kennels, such as Earl Fitzwilliam's Chanter (1891), the Dumfriesshire Pilot (1894), the South Durham Streamer (1896), and the Lanark and Renfrewshire Raeburn (1900). At home, Renegade (1892), Governor (1893), Donovan (1895), Genitor (1896), Grappler (1898), Hamlet (1899), Sounder (1900), Delegate (1901), and the Atherstone Comrade (1900) purchased in 1904, were all used between the years 1895 and 1906—Genitor most freely, —and there is still much of their blood in the kennel, notwithstanding the fact that many of their descendants went to form a draft which was presented to Mr Usher when he accepted the mastership of the Berwickshire Hounds in 1906.

Sir Robert Usher and Mr Gillon reverted to the old order, for although continuing home-breeding, they did so at first on a smaller scale, and made up the working number required by the purchase of drafts. Since the beginning of their mastership, the Atherstone, Sir W. Williams-Wynn's, Earl Fitzwilliam's (Wentworth), the Cattistock, the Duke of Buccleuch's, the Brocklesby, the Grove, and the Puckeridge, have all contributed towards maintaining the strength of the pack, while Mr Forbes of Callendar has presented a number of hounds from the Hurworth kennel, and the Duke of Beaufort the Badminton Druid (1904). The Atherstone draft proved to be a good one, and their Dagon (1900) stood out prominently for two seasons as a working hound, being second only in his performance in the field to the home-bred Hostile (1902).

Owing to the want of continuity in the earlier lists, it is difficult to trace the pedigrees of the hounds, but there can be little doubt that there is not now any blood in the kennel which goes back in it prior to the union with East Lothian, and that the Lothians list for 1872 contains the name of the last survivor' of the previous Linlithgow and Stirlingshire pack.

Before concluding this chapter, a reference to the various kennels occupied from time to time will not be out of place. The earliest known are "the Doghouses," which were built by Sir William Cunyngharne on the farm of Lethein between Uphall and Midcalder, in or about the year 1775. These were probably used until the end of his mastership, or until the committee of management, which was afterwards appointed, began to act; but however this may have been, in the year 1797, the hounds were kennelled at Linlithgow, where they appear to have been kept until 1806. From 1806 to 1814, the period during which the management rested with Lord Elphinstone, Mr George Ramsay, and Mr William Murray, kennels at Laurieston, near Falkirk, were used as well as those at Linlithgow and it is probable that the hounds were accommodated at Barnton when the eastern side of the country was hunted, as they were at Hamilton when the Lanarkshire district was visited. When Lord Kintore's hounds were purchased by Mr Johnston and Mr Gillon in 1825, they were taken to kennels at Winchburgh, which had been occupied by the Lothian, now the Duke of Buccieuch's, pack during the period in which the Hunt was in abeyance (1814-1824). In the same year (1825), however, they were transferred from Winchburgh to new kennels erected by Mr Johnston at the Bonnytoun entry to Linlithgow, and from these they hunted the whole country except the west of Fife, the west of Stirlingshire, and part of Dumfriesshire. On the occasions upon which these outlying districts were visited, the pack was put up at Torryburnat Stirling, and at Lochmaben respectively. It would seem that between the years 1828 and 1830, during which Mr Hay had the management, the hounds, when in the home country, occupied kennels at Kettleston, about a mile to the west of Linlithgow, and when in Berwickshire, the kennels at Duns Castle. Throughout Mr W. H. Ramsay's mastership the head- quarters were at Laurieston,—the Barnton kennels, and subsequently others at Golfhall, an old inn and posting - house, receiving the pack when the eastern and southern parts of the home country were hunted. So long as Mr Ramsay hunted the Duns country, it is probable that he had the

use of the Duns Castle kennels. When he hunted Lanarkshire and the Carnwath country, he had kennels at Newmains and Carnbroe, and at Camwath; when in Forfarshire, kennels at Forfar; and when in East Lothian, kennels at Amisfield near Haddington; while the west of Fife district was probably overtaken from Torryburn or some other convenient centre. Captain Fleeming seems to have used the Laurieston, Golfhall, and Camnwath kennels during his term of office in the same way that Captain Sandilands did later. In 1856, however, kennels at Kersewell were substituted for those at Carnwath, and in the following year the Laurieston kennels were given up, and those at Golfhall, which had been rebuilt or repaired, were constituted the headquarters. In Mr C. W. R. Ramsay's short mastership there was no change, the kennels used being those at Golfhall and at Kersewell, but when Colonel Gillon undertook the management, he reverted to the Laurieston kennels, with outlying quarters at Hopetoun and at Uphall. In 1869 the kennels at Golfhall again became the headquarters, and there the hounds have been kept ever since.


Return to Book Contents Page

 


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus

Quantcast