JOSEPH G. BROWNLIE, proprietor and vital and progressive manager of
the Ad Letter Shop in the City of Youngstown, the important metropolis and
industrial center of Mahoning County, was born at Meadville, Pennsylvania,
July 22, 1887, and is a son of George and Jane (Gibb) Brownlie, both natives of Scotland and both now deceased, the father having been a
mechanical engineer of exceptional skill.
The major part of the early education of Joseph G. Brownlie was
acquired in the public schools of the city in which he now maintains his
home, and at the age of fourteen years he found employment in a local foundry, in which he learned the moulder's trade. After eight years of
active alliance with this line of industrial enterprise he was for a few
years employed as a mechanic in an automobile factory in Elyria, this state, and it was about the year 1914 that he founded his present direct
mail advertising business, which he has since successfully conducted, with
his establishment designated as the Ad Letter Shop and with headquarters at
123 South Phelps Street. He is a charter member of the local Kiwanis Club,
has served as secretary of the Youngstown Advertising Club, holds membership also in the Exchange Club and the Chamber of Commerce, and is
affiliated with the Masonic fraternity. He is a member also of the Youngstown Automobile Club, and he and his wife hold membership in the
Tabernacle United Presbyterian Church in their home city.
March 19, 1917, recorded the marriage of Mr. Brownlie and Miss
Gladys J. Corlett, who was born and reared at Youngstown, and whose parents, Sanford G. and Bessie (Gleason) Corlett, were born respectively at
Cleveland and Canfield, this state. Mr. and Mrs. Brownlie have no children.