This biography is taken from the "Standard Atlas of Charles Mix County" (1906),published by Geo. A. Ogle & Co. Page 53
Gen. Chas. T. Campbell started a store and trading post near the mouth of
Campbell creek in 1867 where he remained until Gen. Grant withdrew the land from settlement, when Campbell sold his improvements on the land to
the government for a good round sum. He was a Scotsman of ability and rugged courage who later became well known over the state as the proprietor
of the Campbell House at Scotland. A story, which is probably the figment
of some modern story teller, goes to the effect that Campbell and "Papineau"
were on bad terms and that they were known at times to stand at their own
doors with their guns and shoot at each other. Both were in the same line
of business, and it is very probable that neither sold the best grade of whiskey.