|Campbell Obituary (newspaper clipping very old no date)|
James M. Campbell died at his home, in Cherryhill township, on Friday
last, at the advanced age of 94.
The grandfather of the deceased came from Scotland and located in
Fannett township, Franklin county. He was the father of four sons, William, Mark, Andrew and John, and one sister who married a Mr. Briggs.
John Campbell, father of the deceased, was known as ³little John
Campbell,² to distinguish him from two others who were of the same name,
but not related. His first wife was Sarah Fruity and bore him six children, John, Andrew, Catharine (married to Mr. Pattison) Mary, (Mrs.
Ramsey, of Ohio), Margaret, (married to Mr. Long) and Hannah.
His second wife was a widow, Florinda Shields, whose maiden name was
Morrow, of Franklin county. Her first husband, Wm. Shields, was drowned
in Jacobıs creek, Franklin county, by his horse getting into a whirlpool. They had three sons and one daughter. Wm. Shields, of
Connellsville, is the only one of that family now living and is a son of
By his second marriage John Campbell became the father of six children,
Elizabeth and Elbie, twins; Martha and Mark, also twins; Annie, who married Samuel Fair, and James Morrow Campbell, the subject of this
sketch, who was born September 6, 1801. Elizabeth married Samuel Patterson; Elbie died in youth; Martha made her home with her brother,
James M., and died March 4, 1869.
John Campbell, father of deceased, moved to Westmoreland county in 1802
and located on the pike, three miles east of New Alexandria. The farm is now known as the ³Baugh farm.² Here the deceased grew to manhood and
at the age of 18 years made a profession of his faith in old Salem church, under the ministry of Rev. James Davis, and there his parents
lie buried. Martha and he located, for some time, on the Gallagher farm, near Livermore. In 1843 he moved to Burrell township and in 1847
to the Adams farms, one mile east of Indiana. In 1853 he purchased the Dickey farm in White township and in 1865 moved to the farm on which he
died, and which, by patient and intelligent labor, he made one of the best plantations in the county.
He was married to Sarah Barr Hamilton, who bore him five children,
Nettie, Flora, John H. and Annie Campbell Hamill; the eldest a son, died
He was a man of rugged constitution and indomitable energy, honest and
conscientious in the duties he owed his family, the church and State.
With fixed principles he combined a broad charity. Men and things he
accepted, whatever they were, without question or comment. For a bad man he simply had no use. He rarely criticised or condemned. There was
a faith in a divine Providence which made his life calmness and peace. In its beauty and symmetry for nearly a century it was itself an
education and the memory of it a benediction.
The funeral services, Sabbath June 30, were conducted by his friend and
pastor, Dr. Hall, and were attended by representative people from Indiana and the country around in appreciation of one who had the
respect and confidence of all who knew him, and the deserved love of family and friends.