Samuel C. Curry is a lumberman, farmer, and one of the directors of Mount Zion
college, his birth having occurred in Abbeville District, S. C. in 1824.
Isaiah and Mary (O'Neal) Curry, his parents, were born in Lincoln County, Ga.,
in 1800 and Norfolk, Va., respectively, their marriage having taken place in
South Carolina in 1823. They removed to Barber County, Ala., in 1833, and in
1852 came to Louisiana, setting in Winn parish, after which they moved to
Natchitoches Parish, where they died in 1866 and 1863, respectively, both
members of the Protestant Methodist Church.
Mr. Curry was a well to do farmer, and in ever respect self made, industrious
and energetic. He was a member of Cloutierville Lodge of the A. F. & A. M., a
son of Isaiah Curry, who was born in Scotland, but came to America prior to
the Revolution, setting in Georgia, where he died a farmer. Two brothers came
to this country after he did, and followed the occupation of teaching. The
maternal grandfather, John O'Neal, was born in Ireland, and also came to
American when a young man prior to the Revolution, spending the rest of his
life in Virginia, dying there while in his prime. Mrs Curry was his only
child, and to there union with Mr. Curry eleven children were born, nine sons
and two daughters.
The subject of this sketch and his brother, Whitfeild A., are the only ones of
the family now living. He was reared on a farm, receiving but little schooling, and in 1847 was married to Rebecca, a daughter of Owen Aldridge,
who was killed in Flannagan's massacre during the Texas Revolution. She was
born in Georgia, and died in Alabama in 1852, leaving one son, George W. In
1854 Mr. Curry came to what is now Grant Parish, and was married here four
years later to Maria J. Hicks. She was born in Cossa County, Ala., and has
born her husband nine children, six of whom are living. Since the war Mr.
Curry has resided on the old Hicks plantation, and is the owner of about 3,000
acres of fine timber land, the result of his industry and perseverance.
About fifteen years ago he built the first saw mill in this vicinity, and has
operated it ever since, its capacity being 6,000 feet per day. In connection
with this he also runs a cotton gin and grist mill. Many years ago he was a
mechanic and machinist, and these callings now come in good play. He has been
justice of the peace twenty two years, police juror twenty four years in Winn
Parish, but after Grant Parish was organized he made police juror of this
parish, and served until a few years ago, during eight years of his service
being president of that body. He has always taken a prominent part in political and general matters, and is well known and esteemed.
In 1861 he joined Company D, Twelfth Louisiana Infantry, and operated in the
Tennessee Army as a mechanic and foreman of a wagon department, serving in
this capacity until the close of the war, taking part in the Georgia and
Atlanta campaign, surrendering with Johsnton's army at Jonesboro, N. C. He
was not wounded nor captured during his service. He has been a member of the
A. F. & A. M. since before the war, and since the war has been a member of
Montgomery Lodge No. 168. He is a member of the Farmers' Alliance, and was
instrumental in founding Mount Zion college, and is now one of its chief
supporters. His wife is a member of the Protestant Methodist Church.