This biography appears on pages 919-920 in "History of Dakota Territory" by George W. Kingsbury, Vol. IV (1915)
Since 1881 Dennis L. McKinney has been engaged in the real-estate
business in Sioux Falls and he has risen to a high place in business circles of the city, founding his success upon industry, ability and
enterprise. He was born in Ulster, Pennsylvania, October 14, 1855, and is a son of Russell and Elizabeth (Newman) McKinney. The father, who
was horn near Athens, Pennsylvania, about the year 1821, enlisted in 1864 in the Forty-ninth New York Volunteer Infantry and served until
the close of the Civil war, being mustered out with his regiment at Elmira, New York, in 1865. In the same year he was accidentally
drowned. The grandfather of our subject was Henry McKinney and the great-grandfather was the founder of the family in America, coming to
this country from Scotland.
Dennis L. McKinney acquired his early education in the public
schools of Ulster and later attended the University at Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. In 1878 he was graduated from the medical department of
the University of Pennsylvania and located in Oneida county, New York, where he engaged in general practice for three years. At the end of
that time he discontinued professional work and in 1881 came to Sioux Falls, where he and his brother organized the Sioux Falls National
Bank, though it was first a private bank, conducted under the name of McKinney & Scougal. In 1882, however, it was changed to a national bank
and Mr. McKinney is still actively interested in the business, being now vice president of the bank. In connection with the bank the
brothers also carried on business under the name of the McKinney Loan &
Insurance Company, with offices in the bank until 1910, when the growth of both the bank and insurance business necessitated larger quarters
and the insurance company moved to another building, our subject taking entire charge of that branch. He does a large volume of business and
handles a great coal of valuable property, and his opinion on everything relating to land values is considered authoritative. The
business is now conducted under the name of the McKinney & Allen, Incorporated, with Mr. McKinney as president. During the long period of
his connection with this line of work he has secured a large and representative following and the success he has achieved is due
entirely to his own efforts.
Mr. McKinney has been twice married. On the 4th of June, 1883, at
Clarion, Iowa, he wedded Miss Jessie Bennett, who died May 14, 1895, leaving two children, Russell Bennett and Charles Leroy. On the 4th of
September, 1902, at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, Mr. McKinney was again married, his second union being with Miss Emma McCoy.
Mr. McKinney attends the Presbyterian church and is prominent in
the Country and Dacotah Clubs. He has been initiated into the Masonic order according to both the Scottish and York Rites and holds
membership in the Shrine. He has taken an active interest in politics and during the free silver heresy was an active and earnest worker on
the side of a stable currency. His allegiance is given to the republican party and for three years he served as a member of the board
of aldermen. He is a man of strong character and sterling worth and well merits the high regard in which he is uniformly held.