| This biography appears on pages 1659-1660 in "History of South Dakota" by Doane Robinson, Vol. II (1904) |
DAVID ROBERTSON, an able member of the bar of the state, who has
served several terms as a representative of Spink county in the state legislature, comes of staunch Scottish lineage and inherits the sterling
characteristics of the canny Scotchman sterling integrity, marked pragmatic ability and tenacity of purpose, with strong mentality and
mature judgment. He is a native of the state of Wisconsin, having been born in Rock county, on the 21st of August, 1855, and being a son of
Peter and Helen Robertson, both of whom were born and reared in Scotland, the father having been a native of Glasgow and the mother of
Edinburgh. They were married in their native land and shortly afterward,
in 1854, immigrated to the United States and settled on a farm in Rock county, Wisconsin, where they remained until 1863, when they removed to
Freeborn county, Minnesota, becoming pioneers of that section, where the
father improved a good farm, and there both passed the remainder of their lives, secure in the respect and esteem of all who knew them. Of
their five children all are yet living. They were consistent members of the Baptist church, and in politics Mr. Robertson espoused the cause of
the Republican party.
David Robertson, the immediate subject of this sketch, completed
the curriculum of the public schools at Mitchell, Iowa, and was reared to the sturdy discipline of the home farm. In 1881 he was matriculated
in Carleton College, in Northfield, Minnesota, where he completed the scientific course and was graduated as a member of the class of 1885,
with the degree of Bachelor of Science. He had in the meanwhile been reading law, and after his graduation continued his technical studies in
the office of Hon. Calvin L. Brown, of Morris, Minnesota, this able preceptor being now one of the associate justices of the supreme court
of that state. Mr. Robertson read law under the direction of Judge Brown
for one year, and was then admitted to the bar of Minnesota, in July, 1886. In January of the following year he came to South Dakota and took
up his residence in Conde, where he engaged in the practice of his profession, and in the real-estate business, in which he has since
continued. In politics he is a staunch advocate of the principles and policies of the Republican party, in whose ranks he has been an active
and valued worker. In 1890 he was elected to the legislature, making an excellent record. Mr. Robertson also takes an active interest in school
work and is president of the board of education of Conde. He is an appreciative and popular member of the Masonic fraternity, being
affiliated with the following named bodies of the same: Conde Lodge, No.
134, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; and South Dakota Consistory, No. 4, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, at Aberdeen, having attained to
fourteen degrees in this branch of the order at the time of this writing.
On the 21st of February, 1887, Mr. Robertson was united in
marriage to Miss Priscilla V. Herman, who was born in Glenville, Freeborn county, Minnesota, on the 3d of November, 1857, being a
daughter of Philip and Augusta Herman, who are now living at Glenville, Minnesota, her father having been a farmer by vocation. Mr. and Mrs.
Robertson have three children living, namely: Len D., who was born on the 17th of December, 1887; George V., who was born on the 14th of
February, 1893; and Erskine H., who was born on the 14th of July, 1894. Their only daughter, Vida P., was born October 24, 1890, and died of
scarlet fever at the age of fifteen months. Mrs. Robertson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and takes special interest in Sunday