This biography appears on pages 794-799 in "History of Dakota Territory" by George W. Kingsbury, Vol. V (1915)
Thomas Young and Romeo Roderick Stevenson are specialists and
partners in the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat at Sioux Falls. They constitute the oldest firm of specialists in their
line in the state and their careful diagnosis and expert surgical work have given them statewide and well merited reputation. The brothers are
natives of Minnesota. Thomas Young Stevenson was born in Quincy on the 25th of May, 1859, and Romeo R. in Quincy on the 16th of July, 1866.
Their parents were Thomas and Jane (Aitken) Stevenson, who were born, reared and married in Edinburgh, Scotland, and the Drs. Stevenson
display many of the sterling characteristics of their Scotch ancestry—the thoroughness, ability and industry which have ever been strong
traits of the Scottish race. The parents sailed for the United States immediately following their marriage and after reaching American shores
made their way to Kewanee, Illinois. Two or three years later they moved to Quincy, Minnesota. Mr. Stevenson was employed as hoisting
engineer in a coal mine in Scotland but after coming to this country devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits.
Thomas Stevenson was reared under the parental roof and acquired
his early education in the public schools. In 1881 he took up the study of medicine, reading under the preceptorship of his brother, Dr. G. A.
Stevenson, of Albert Lea, Minnesota. In the fall of the same year he entered the Bennett College of Eclectic Medicine and Surgery in
Chicago, being graduated from that institution with the class of 1885. In 1896 he attended and was graduated from the Harvey Medical College
of Chicago, which institution also conferred upon him the degree of M. D. In 1898 he took a trip abroad and pursued special work in the
treatment of the eye, ear, nose and throat in Berlin, Vienna, London and Paris, spending about six months in this manner. Following his
graduation from Bennett College, in 1885, he located for practice at Wentworth, South Dakota, where he followed his profession until 1892,
when he removed to Sioux Falls and has there since remained. Since his return from Europe he has been engaged in special practice, giving his
entire attention to the treatment, of the eye, ear, nose and throat, in which he has attained an enviable reputation and prestige.
In 1887 Dr. Stevenson was united in marriage to Miss Emma Lord,
of Wentworth, south Dakota, who passed away in 1911, leaving one son and an adopted daughter. Dr. Stevenson is well known in Masonic
circles, belonging to the following organizations: Sioux Falls Lodge, No. 5, A. F. & A. M.; Sioux Falls Commandery, K. T.; Sioux Falls
Consistory, A. & A. S. R.; and El Riad Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He is
likewise identified with Sioux Falls Lodge, No. 262, B. P. O. E.; Sioux Falls Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; the Knights of the
Maccabees; the Ancient Order of United Workmen; and the Woodmen of the
R. R. Stevenson, like his brother, acquired his preliminary
education in the public schools of Minnesota and, entering upon the profession of teaching, spent five years as principal of schools, his
last position in that connection being at Eyota, Minnesota. After completing a full course of study in the Northwestern University
Medical School of Chicago he won his M. D. degree in April, 1894, and in May of the same year located for practice in Sioux Falls. After a
short period spent in general medical and surgical practice he began special study in Chicago on diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat
and afterward studied abroad for a year. Since that time he has confined his practice exclusively to the line of his specialty and has
supplemented his earlier preparation by frequent trips to Europe for post-graduate work in his chosen line, studying in London, Vienna,
Paris, Berlin, Zurich and Christiania. His chief ambition has ever been along the line of his profession that he might attain high rank therein
and make his service of the greatest possible benefit to his fellow men.
In 1905 Dr. R. R. Stevenson was married to Miss Emile Frances
Avery, of Chicago, a lady of rare intelligence and culture. Dr. Stevenson is a Knight Templar and Scottish Rite Mason and a member of
the Mystic Shrine, and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen,
and the Maccabees. He is very public-spirited and eager to support and assist any movement for the betterment of city and state but is
absolutely devoid of political aspirations. He has always had unvarying faith in the future of South Dakota, as shown by his large investments
in lands in this state.
After all, proficiency in their specialty has been the only
ambition of the Drs. Stevenson, both of whom stand high professionally and otherwise. They are constantly studying along their special line,
thus broadening their knowledge and promoting their efficiency, and their opinions concerning diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat and
their treatment are accepted as authority by members of the medical profession in this part of the country.