Most will know a little about William Landsborough who
explored much of Queensland. He had done a lot or exploration and was rewarded by the
Queensland Government with about 2000 acres of land which he named "Lamerough".
Landsborough and John McDouall Stuart were first to cross the continent in 1862 arriving
at their destination within a week of each other. Stuart travelled from Adelaide, while
Landsborough journeyed with camel from Albert River in Queensland, but failed to record
the arrival due to their great excitement . Public subscription urged these men to do
exploration, specifically to search for the missing Burke and Wills. William Landsborough
traversed the country many times from exploring from Mt. Nebo to Bowen Downs
Station1856-1859. The Landsborough Highway runs through vast tracts of land that he once
occupied. Burke and Wills set out to achieve the same feat, but failed to complete the
journey, a story we are all familiar with.
That was 1862 ten years before my grandfather Robert Bostock (b.1850) ventured to the
centre. Robert was left without parents and in 1872 drove many hundred head of cattle to
Cooper Creek - the dig tree region. Robert took up 6 blocks of land at Innamincka, which
he lost, as the border was changed more than once, finally being designated as being in
William Landsborough named his property "Lamerough" after his native home in
Scotland. Lamerough Street is named in his honour. William was born at Saltcoats Ayrshire.
William's great granddaughter was living at Caloundra when we chatted with her. She first
saw her Landsborough grave at Caloundra in 1936. About the time Mary married Edward
Christianson, there were only 11 houses between their King's Beach home and the Post
Office in Bulcock Street, Caloundra. William married Caroline Raine of Sydney just before
he sailed for London to be presented to Queen Victoria in 1863. The title "Right
Honourable William Landsborough" was bestowed on him in Brisbane in 1864.
This was the time JOHN MALTMAN became manager for William Landsborough, as William was
appointed in 1865 to Albert River in the Gulf as M.L.A. and Police Magistrate receiving
$800 p.a. Landsborough became Crown lands Commissioner, so in all, he was a very respected
and loved gentleman in this Queensland where he lived. The sad times came upon him and
William's wife died of a fever. What happened to the land at Golden Beach ?
The family were living in different locations, money was scarce and £36 per year rates
became an obstacle. The three daughters of his first marriage paid the rates for a while
until two of the women could not continue. One daughter continued to pay the rates, while
it was her daughter who was married to the owner of the case mill, behind Military Jetty.
He used the Ti Trees of 'Lamerough' for his fruit cases. They gave up the struggle with
rate payments about ten years later. Around the turn of the century, Henzells bought the
land from the Government for 2/6d per acre.
That is the story as we believe it to be, through the family.
William landsborough remarried and returned to live on his beloved Lamerough at Golden
Beach in 1880, with John Maltman remaining as Overseer. It was this time that the sons of
John Maltman, namely ROBERT MALTMAN AND ALEXANDER MALTMAN worked as shepherds for
Landsborough for a reported 5d a day, returning on foot, to their home at Mooloolah. John
owned hundreds of acres and his property adjoined that of his friend Ewan Maddock. John
Maltman, who was originally an industrial chemist in Glasgow had the 'soap hole' at
Glenview, Mooloolah, which is still recognised by historians. He had dealings with
Campbells Soap Company at Bowen Hills, Brisbane, but no detail is known.
William Landsborough passed away on 16.3.1886 aged 61 years. While laying on his bed, just
before he died, he asked John Maltman to just lift him up, to have one last look at the
ocean, Moreton Island and the Glasshouse Mountains. John built a Red Cedar coffin from the
thick cedar doors of Landsborough's home, as his grand daughter explained. William
Landsborough was laid to rest at Golden Beach, but later reinterred on a prominent hill at
Toowong Cemetery with other notable persons. A memorial can be seen at the Golden Beach
shopping Centre, but why people have to mark and spoil this memorial, is hard to
Henzell's, began subdividing the country (2000 acres) which awakens many stories I am
sure, in old Caloundra residents. Matthew's Uncle Peter b.1915 related a story about
driving along Golden Beach to Military Jetty in earlier times and explaining to his
passenger about the aboriginal inhabitants who lived in the bushland. As he rounded the
bend he was so surprised to see the locals that he ran his car into a tree. The aboriginal
men came and helped him to break free.
This same Peter Delanty owned about 350 acres on both sides of the road leading into
Caloundra and Sugar Bag Road. His brother Alfred also a son of Letitia Maltman and Tom
DeLanty, leased many hundred acres, where Corbould Park is now situated. Letitia Maltman
was a daughter of John Maltman & Letitia Rose Mulholland and was also Matthew
Birrell's grandmother. These Delanty lads went to the war and as cash was scarce, Alf
forfeited his lease payment of £4/10/- per year, when fencing became too costly and
fences difficult to maintain. A condition of the lease was to erect a certain amount of
fencing each year. Matt's Dad Ernest Birrell helped Alf build these fences which remain
During his later years John Maltman bought a number of blocks of land in Arthur Street,
which he gave to each one of his family. It is believed but not confirmed, that he paid
10/- a block. A member of this family was living there until just a few years ago, when
the property was sold. Violet Richardson was previously married to John William Maltman,
son of John & Letitia Maltman Snr. John Wm.Maltman Jnr. operated a Bullock Team which
hauled butter at one time, from the Maleny Butter Factory to the Landsborough Rail head. I
can assure you, that the road track of those times, was nothing compared to the scenic
Macadam road today. JOHN Snr. and LETITIA MALTMAN retired to Bald Knob and the old shack
where they lived is still there by the roadside. Letitia Maltman, who was a nurse
(midwife) conducted the Railway Refreshment Room at Landsborough for the workers engaged
on the building of the railway line. John died in 1916 and Letitia died 1917 and are laid
to rest at the Glenview Cemetery on the old highway to Landsborough.
One of those shepherd boys, ROBERT MALTMAN married and lived at "Hollymount" in
Sugar bag Road, where he became a dairy farmer. He operated a milk run around Caloundra
for many years. Robert also operated the first kiosk on King's Beach and built the first
public hall in Caloundra, where dances, meetings and church services were held. When the
main road was diverted off Sugar Bag Road, Robert pulled down his home, piece by piece and
rebuilt it on the site near the corner of Maltman and Queens Streets, where it still
stands in 1999. So Maltman Street is named after Robert Maltman, whose larger property was
subdivided and where many houses now grace the old farm. Robert was born in 1873 and died
at his home in 1956. Clare Maltman (Burnham) whom some of you know, is the last surviving
child of Robert and Thirza (Hudd) Maltman's issue. Many grandchildren live around
Queensland. Ruby Sutherland, a well known Caloundra identity some years ago,was a daughter
of this Robert Maltman and lived on the Maltman estate.
Another brother Alexander Maltman regularly played his violin on the Bulcock Beach front.
BULCOCK BEACH. Matthew remembers, as a lad the windmill on Bulcock Beach, where the local
residents came to draw water for the household. Joe Boyden (stepbrother to his mother
Ellen DeLanty) planted all the Norfolk Pines along Bulcock Beach. Joe was a building
Inspector for the council at that time and lived behind where the post Office is today.
The trees that surrounded Joe and Lizzie Boyden's house remain, on corner of Omrah and
Otranto Streets, Caloundra and next door to the Caloundra Library. This is directly behind
the Caloundra Post Office. Joe and Lizzie
passed away many years ago now, but Matthew remembers as a young boy visiting his rellies
and playing in the garden, while his parents had cups of tea.
This 'Lizzie' was Elizabeth Skene, and it was her father William Skene of Montville, who
donated the "BON ACCORD FALLS" to the Queensland Government. Bon Accord was
their hometown in Aberdeen, Scotland. The old Skene home is still on the Mapleton -
Montville road, on top of the cutting at the entrance to Kondalilla Reserve. After
receiving the property the government changed the name of parklands to "KONDALILLA
Robert Boyden, Joe's bachelor brother, had a mechanical workshop on the site of Sunland
Shopping Centre. The old brown cottage near the corner and opposite the entrance to the
shopping centre, was Robert's residence. The large mechanics workshop with a dominant saw
tooth roof was reconstructed there, after being brought from a site on Bribie Island,
after the war had ceased.
As a lad Matthew's grandfather Tom and his mother would go fishing off Golden Beach in the
There was always a feed of fish for breakfast or dinner. The fire was always ready on the
beach when they returned. Were they the days - or what !!!!